Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer locked up - problem with Vista

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Computer locked up - problem with Vista

Vista wont let you install XP over the top of it.

You can put it on a seperate partition or you'll have to format, eitherway, you will have to re-install drivers.

If you can get a net connection, it's best to download the drivers first esp for your wireless if you have one, as you wont be able to connect to the internet without it!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    It has now been decided that we install XP, which we have on disc, and my question now is – without individual drivers for all the hardware (graphics/sound cards etc) for that specific machine am I better letting XP just replace Vista, which it says it can do and presumably will retain the existing drivers, or can I format the drive and let XP install drivers itself (I don’t know if XP has drivers for all the hardware – this was one of the early machines with Vista)?
    As Lee says you cant install XP "over the top of Vista" - the default option will be to install it on the same drive - which would give you a dual boot of "working Xp" or "broken Vista"...pointless. Best to format the whole thing but you will almost certaily need some drivers, most you will be able to get from your motherboard manufacturers site, or if its a badged PC like a Dell, from their site.

However, i strongly advise you to download Linux Mint and use that instead, much less hassle. Boot from the DVD and and see if it picks up all your drivers, it usually does. If you like it, install it after formatting the drive. Its a FAR easier install than XP. And you can select extra programs you may need simply by selecting "software manager" and once you install "wine" you can install windows programs too. Really simply. Go on, go for it.

(ubuntu is good too, but linux mint defaults are more helpful to newcomers)

Blog Entries

I’ve just been down on my knees looking for a Serial No. before going on to the HP site to see if there was anything there about drivers and found a couple of small labels – one says ‘Designed for Windows XP. Vista capable’. The other is an XP label with the installation Key number.

It looks like the computer was designed for XP but either upgraded to Vista by the retailer or, less likely, by the previous owner.

Can you see there being any problems in installing XP after formatting?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    However, i strongly advise you to download Linux Mint and use that instead, much less hassle. Boot from the DVD and and see if it picks up all your drivers, it usually does. If you like it, install it after formatting the drive. Its a FAR easier install than XP. And you can select extra programs you may need simply by selecting "software manager" and once you install "wine" you can install windows programs too. Really simply. Go on, go for it.
    Might give that a go on the 2nd PC im building

Thread Information