View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about dancing with beginners?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only dance with beginners.

1 1.30%
  • I enjoy dancing with beginners and actively seek them out (as well as more experienced dancers).

23 29.87%
  • I often enjoy dancing with beginners but prefer to dance with more experienced dancers.

24 31.17%
  • I’m happy to dance with beginners if asked, but otherwise I dance with more experienced dancers.

19 24.68%
  • I don’t really enjoy dancing with beginners but I will dance with them if asked.

4 5.19%
  • I don’t enjoy dancing with beginners and avoid them as much as possible.

1 1.30%
  • I don’t dance with beginners.

0 0%
  • I am Anton Du Beke.

5 6.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with beginners

Commercial Operator

Re: Dancing with beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I now have a mental image I really don't want, Dave!
    You'll think twice the next time Dave pops into your chalet and asks if he can 'use your bathroom'

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I've just had a dreadful experience last night where I went to a milonga and the people there were so cliquey and unfriendly it was dreadful.
    Aww that's awful but I think its their loss in the end
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Well I was determined once I had got over that experience on Saturday that I would not be pushed off the dance floor by anyone, so decided tonight to start my hunt for more friendlier venues. Found a lovely place in Chester that teach tango on a Monday night and have a Salon every Friday. The teacher, Sharon was warm and welcoming and told me that she ensures that her venues are friendly and I would be very welcome.

A greeting, a welcome and a smile is sometimes enough to make you feel good about things again, and strong enough tell the cliques to go and dig their heads out of their backsides.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Well I was determined once I had got over that experience on Saturday that I would not be pushed off the dance floor by anyone, so decided tonight to start my hunt for more friendlier venues. Found a lovely place in Chester that teach tango on a Monday night and have a Salon every Friday. The teacher, Sharon was warm and welcoming and told me that she ensures that her venues are friendly and I would be very welcome.

A greeting, a welcome and a smile is sometimes enough to make you feel good about things again, and strong enough tell the cliques to go and dig their heads out of their backsides.
    Go Girl ! Well done for bouncing back so quickly.

Commercial Operator

Well done for finding somewhere welcoming.

In defence of those places that give the impression that they are elitist. Most of them would probably be horrified if they realised they were putting people off, especially if they are offering beginners lessons. Of course there are a few teachers whe are elitist. I recently heard about a dance teacher who told a whole class that they were completely useless and would never be any good. Could it have been the teaching they were getting?

Just a random comment, we had a stack of new people at my venue last night, meaning a whole extra row than usual for the first time since I've been there (about 80 people total rather than say 60).

I've only been dancing about 6 month, so I'm wondering if it's usual to get lots of new people at the start of the year?

Big variety in standard of the beginners though, some can do most of the intermediate moves I do, others freak out if I vary from the beginner routine of the night!

Maybe it's a New Year's Resolution thing, to start dancing, as my classes have also had an influx of new beginners.

We usually get a big influx of new beginners at our class in January, but most of them don't last long. Just like most New Year resolutions, in fact.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Fascinating - I love the 'New Year's Resolution' effect!
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Fascinating - I love the 'New Year's Resolution' effect!
    Free trial stickers on Christmas puds and boxes of chocolates?

More seriously - Christmas gifts for young couples from parents?

Mum does the babysitting, young couple have some together time at a dance workshop or series of classes.

Might be worth a try as a Birthday / Valentines / Mothers day gift too.

I've always found that leader beginners seem not to be enjoying dancing. I've recently started trying to learn to lead myself and I've now realised why this is...you have to actually think about what you're doing! Us follows have got it so easy, we just have to, well, follow.

I have a new respect for anyone learning to lead in a new dance and having tried it for myself, I'm surprised more people don't give up after a few weeks. I'm struggling to put together 4 beginners moves, the thought of learning anything more complicated fills me with dread!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I've always found that leader beginners seem not to be enjoying dancing. I've recently started trying to learn to lead myself and I've now realised why this is...you have to actually think about what you're doing! Us follows have got it so easy, we just have to, well, follow.

I have a new respect for anyone learning to lead in a new dance and having tried it for myself, I'm surprised more people don't give up after a few weeks. I'm struggling to put together 4 beginners moves, the thought of learning anything more complicated fills me with dread!
    Well Said....Keep up the good work..

Commercial Operator

The reason most guys keep it up is that we think being able to dance will make us more attractive to women. We were told that being able to dance would turn us into a babe magnet. For a lady learning to dance there is no such motivation. So well done for sticking with it

The downside to learning to dance to become a babe magnet is that, by failing to learn to dance we're worried that we'll become the opposite of a babe magnet and repel the babes Don't worry guys, as someone who has learnt to dance I can assure you that you're in no danger of suddenly discovering the "Lynx Effect" by learning to dance. And there is on "Lynx Effect" either - it's hopeless, but at least we can have a nice dance with the ladies while they are waiting for their tall, dark and handsome prince

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    you're in no danger of suddenly discovering the "Lynx Effect" by learning to dance.
    I beg to differ. Time and time again I've witnessed to most revolting, socially retarded freaks having women throwing pussy at them left, right and centre.....simply because they are really good dancers.

Commercial Operator

I beg to differ. Time and time again I've witnessed to most revolting, socially retarded freaks having women throwing pussy at them left, right and centre.....simply because they are really good dancers.
    They must have something else going on as well - I never get anybody throwing their pets at me from any direction

And I like to think I'm as revolting and socially retarded as the next freak.

They must have something else going on as well
    Well, I suppose you can't tell unless you get to know someone properly, but I have heard on several occasions "I can't believe I went out with him, he's got absolutely nothing going for him except the fact he can dance".

I never get anybody throwing their pets at me from any direction
    You do Andy...I can only assume your pussy radar is switched off. Gav's was surgically removed three years ago.

And I like to think I'm as revolting and socially retarded as the next freak.
    Exactly! Your degree of revolting freakyness is disguised by your dancing. It's magic! Like rohypnol but less likely to get you put in prison.

Commercial Operator

You do Andy...I can only assume your pussy radar is switched off. Gav's was surgically removed three years ago.
    I don't need a radar. I can feel them rubbing against my legs and hear them purring But once you've given them a saucer of milk they lose interest.

Blog Entries

But it wasn't a problem because mine never worked anyway.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now you know why men go through the move-monster phase.

Multiply that by a factor of about 3-4, and you get the level of difficulty of leading in Tango.

revolting, socially retarded freaks
    The comment is obvious, so I'll avoid it.

having women throwing pussy at them left, right and centre.....simply because they are really good dancers.
    See, this is the downside of a woman learning to lead. She spills the beans. Male leaders keep the Dance Omerta and pretend we're just in it for the love of the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    But it wasn't a problem because mine never worked anyway.
    Me too, you'd have to hit me over the head to tell me if a woman was interested in me. Same goes for most men I suspect.

Thread Information