Thread: Change of phone...help!!!

Change of phone...help!!!

Have just changed phones, downloaded all the numbers that were stored on the phone (left behind when taking out the SIM card) and my computer has stored them but don't know where ..............am pulling my hair out trying to locate them...any ideas anyone?

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Change of phone...help!!!

What make of phone was it?

You could try doing a search of your computer's hard disk, showing every file that's been modified today? You may be able to guess it from the file or folder name.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    What make of phone was it?

You could try doing a search of your computer's hard disk, showing every file that's been modified today? You may be able to guess it from the file or folder name.
    I've gone from a Samsung to a Blackberry........just to show how stupid I am how do I look at the computer's hard disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    I've gone from a Samsung to a Blackberry........just to show how stupid I am how do I look at the computer's hard disk?
    Have found and looked at the hard disk and know what time I was working on it, have matched it up with an entry on there but it keeps saying it is not able to open the file.........

The Dashing Moderator

This works for me using Windows XP, but I imagine other versions of Windows are similar. If you're using a Mac then I haven't a clue!
    • Right-click on the "My Computer" icon (it may be on the Start menu somewhere, or on the desktop, or both
    • Select Search from the menu that pops up
    • It should open up a window. In here, click "All Files and Folders"
    • In Windows XP, on the LHS there are three boxes where you enter criteria - the 3rd of these is called "Look In". Change this to "Local Hard Drives {some stuff in brackets}"
    • There is also a "When was it modified" option. Click this and then specify a date range from 12/12/2009 to 12/12/2009 (or whatever day you saved the data)
    • Click "Search" and see what you get. You'll probably get a bunch of files. It will probably take several minutes to finish searching
    • You'll hopefully have a "Date Modified" column in the results you get - if you click on this you can narrow it down to the time you saved the file.
    • With any luck the file name or folder name should mean something to you!

Edit - too late! What's the file called? What's the "Type" of it?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    This works for me using Windows XP, but I imagine other versions of Windows are similar. If you're using a Mac then I haven't a clue!
    • Right-click on the "My Computer" icon (it may be on the Start menu somewhere, or on the desktop, or both
    • Select Search from the menu that pops up
    • It should open up a window. In here, click "All Files and Folders"
    • In Windows XP, on the LHS there are three boxes where you enter criteria - the 3rd of these is called "Look In". Change this to "Local Hard Drives {some stuff in brackets}"
    • There is also a "When was it modified" option. Click this and then specify a date range from 12/12/2009 to 12/12/2009 (or whatever day you saved the data)
    • Click "Search" and see what you get. You'll probably get a bunch of files. It will probably take several minutes to finish searching
    • You'll hopefully have a "Date Modified" column in the results you get - if you click on this you can narrow it down to the time you saved the file.
    • With any luck the file name or folder name should mean something to you!

Edit - too late! What's the file called? What's the "Type" of it?
    David thank you for your help but my eyes are going blurry and my brain is getting mushy. I have been on this damn thing most of the day fiddling with it (it nearly went through the window at one stage!). Am going to shut it down now and I will follow your instructions tomorrow and check out if I get anywhere with it.

Hi Jay Jay,

did you copy the numbers over using Samsung's software? If I remember rightly you can use it to export these numbers to windows addressbook. They'll be easily accessible there and I'm sure the blackberry software can find them there too!

Thanks guys for your help but it seems that they have been deleted off the face of the earth I cannot find them anywhere, I think when clearing them off the phone they were deleted from the file too

.....so if I don't call anyone it's because I don't have anyones numbers anymore (only the ones that were on my SIM card)

Thanks guys for your help but it seems that they have been deleted off the face of the earth I cannot find them anywhere, I think when clearing them off the phone they were deleted from the file too

.....so if I don't call anyone it's because I don't have anyones numbers anymore (only the ones that were on my SIM card)
    When you do not call me tomorrow for a chat, I now know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    When you do not call me tomorrow for a chat, I now know why.
    You know I would if I could but I can't

Try this - open Windows Search - in the "search for files or folders named" type

*.*

in the "Containing text" type in any mobile number or part of it. Click Search now. Right click on any results to show where the file is located.
    Hope this helps.

You know I would if I could but I can't

It is ok, I understand....

Thread Information