Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushes with celebrity (was "Claims To Fame")

Re: Claims To Fame

When I was about 8 on a family & friends holiday we met Donnie Munro (Runrig) holidaying with his wife & daughter. My friends & I played with his daughter for a week.

Through my work I have served Kevin Costner & tidied up after his extremely messy wife.
    Sean Connery has been in & bought socks on a few occassions
    President Bush (Snr) came in while on a visit to the UK - an absolute gentleman!
    Prince Andrew has been in with his large security men.
    Was at a 250th Anniversary dinner for the R&A & sat 2 tables away from Prince Andrew who was the R&A Captain that year (2000)
    Have served Ronnie Corbett at the Open in Murrayfield - a very funny man & all he wanted was a sweater!
    When the Ladies Open played at St Andrews most of the ladies came in & bought a pile of clothing. Christina Kim was an absolute character & had the shop in stitches at her enthusiasm & pure delight at being in St Andrews.
    A few golf commentators have been in but I can't remember their names & it's my dad who recognises them...
    Does my dad count? He was interviewed during the DUnhill last year & it was aired on telly a few times that week.
    Bill Murray came in & bought a belt... then ripped up his credit card receipt as it had his signature on it. (Never mind the fact that by law I must store it for 7 years)
    Colin Montgomerie was in a couple of months ago, very pleasant he was...

And on a recent trip to watch the Scottish Rugby team train my friend & I got autographs from every member & most of them were very polite. Chris Paterson posed for 2 photos with my friend as the first one hadn't turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    ....... nearly got run over by Princess Di as I was crossing the road outside Olympia in Kensington........
    Don't forget the best bit ... you used to be a Bunny Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Um... those aren't claims to fame.

I hate to ?|55 on your chips but those are only claims to fleeting brushes with celebrity.

So...

...I once read Hello! magazine.
    I agree with double trouble that Barry is being a little pedantic. Also spending an hour with and being made coffee by Muhammad Ali is hardly a fleeting encounter with a celebrity.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I agree with double trouble that Barry is being a little pedantic. Also spending an hour with and being made coffee by Muhammad Ali is hardly a fleeting encounter with a celebrity.
    yeah right, so if it had been a girl that you had had this hour with and you had proposed the next day - would your friends and family say "well, at least you really got to know her and it wasn't just a fleeting encounter" ?

er...they may do, if they are black belts in the art of sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    yeah right, so if it had been a girl that you had had this hour with and you had proposed the next day - would your friends and family say "well, at least you really got to know her and it wasn't just a fleeting encounter" ?

er...they may do, if they are black belts in the art of sarcasm.
    I think perhaps you neglect who the particular celebrity is. I would go so far as to suggest he is the greatest "living celebrity." the only celeb still living that can truly be called legendary (an i hate boxing). Had it been anyone else I would however agree with your sarcasm

My claims-to-have-met-someone-who-has-fame:

I used to train three times a week with Joe Calzaghe when we were teenagers.

I once cooked a banquet for Gareth Edwards (greatest ever rugby player) and Ron Davies (then Secretary of State for Wales) at Caerphilly Castle. I met Gareth, but didn't get to meet RD.

I was introduced to Dafydd Wigley, then President of Plaid Cymru, during a party function in the late 1990s.

I nearly slammed a door on Darren Bennett (accidentally, of course).

I had to squeeze past various members of Stone Gods in a pub toilet just before they were due to go onstage.

I've seen lots of celebrities, ranging from local celebrities to world-famous musicians, across a room or chatting near me or whatever, but I'm not the kind of person who would go and disturb them just because they're famous. The cult of celebrity isn't my thing.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think perhaps you neglect who the particular celebrity is. I would go so far as to suggest he is the greatest "living celebrity." the only celeb still living that can truly be called legendary (an i hate boxing).
    er...so if it was anyone else it WOULD be a fleeting encounter but because it was someone who is famous for a sport you hate, it is NOT a fleeting encounter.

Are you on medication ?

If not, you clearly need to be

Thought I had been here before

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...7041#post47041

can add to that now, I have had coffee with the great Franckie Manning and I mean hot drinks and chats as I was sitting next to him - never got to ask him to dance (my deepest regret)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 13th-December-2009 at 09:53 AM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

er...so if it was anyone else it WOULD be a fleeting encounter but because it was someone who is famous for a sport you hate, it is NOT a fleeting encounter.

Are you on medication ?

If not, you clearly need to be
    I feel Scathe that you are not entering into the spirit of this thread, and taking it far too seriously. But I agree that an hour might be seen as fleeting. I still contest that Ali is the most famous person alive today and certainly one of the most revered. Any encounter with somebody of his status should be cherished and mentioned in such a thread/blog/room. and I think that my encounter however "fleeting" is a better claim to fame than most people will achieve.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I feel Scathe that you are not entering into the spirit of this thread, and taking it far too seriously.
    I don't think I am the one taking this too seriously.

As for the spirit of the thread - its you that started it under the assumption that others would find brushes with "celebrity" as worthwhile as you clearly do. If I'm less bothered, does that make me a bad person ?

But I agree that an hour might be seen as fleeting.

Oh good, because "spending an hour ... is hardly a fleeting encounter" made it sound like you didn't.

Any encounter with somebody of his status should be cherished and mentioned in such a thread/blog/room. and I think that my encounter however "fleeting" is a better claim to fame than most people will achieve.
    No. It is not a claim to fame. Muhammad Ali has met lots of people. It happens everywhere he goes

so what is a claim to fame. and what are your claims to fame. have you told all the others that have contributed to this thread your views that we somehow need medication because we think that meeting someone famous is a claim to fame. muhammad certainly meets a lot of people but does he make them all coffe? or at the end of the day are you just putting me down because it is your profile title?

At the risk of incurring Robs wrath again I have to agree with DS on this one.Its hardly a claim to fame to have been in the same room or sat next to somebody who just happens to be in the public eye because of their profession or skill.
    If I had to lay a claim to fame I think it would have to be something that I have achieved in my own right.
    And seeing as you are about to ask.I won the singles knock-out trophy two years running at my golf club.Its not the winning of the trophy that makes me proud it's the fact that my name appears on the honours board and will be there long after I am gone.Priceless.

I reckon a claim to fame must be if the famous person knows or remembers you - might even know your name

I haven't seen or met up with Jimmy since the 60's and we used to meet up before gigs and on Sunday afternoons - wonder if he would remember me now - certainly wouldn't recognise me
    Last edited by Minnie M; 13th-December-2009 at 03:30 PM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

yeah right
    I think perhaps you neglect who the particular celebrity is.
    Are you on medication ? If not, you clearly need to be
    I feel Scathe that you are not entering into the spirit of this thread
    C'mon ladies, hand bags away now please. The only problem with this thread is the name of it. Technically I would agree with DS that our examples are merely brushes with celebrity rather than claims to fame, but it's an interesting thread so don't derail it otherwise others wont add their "brushes with fame"

As for the spirit of the thread - its you that started it under the assumption that others would find brushes with "celebrity" as worthwhile as you clearly do. If I'm less bothered, does that make me a bad person ?
    You're not a bad person because you are less bothered...you're a bad person because you have a penchant for weekend clown dressing up.

I have eaten some humble pie and taken Double Trouble's advice and written to Franck to change the name of the thread. So hopefully we can all be friends again.

Re: Brushes with celebrity (was "Claims To Fame")

Does this count-my wife has appeared on stage with,Clive Dunn,Bob Monkhouse,Des O'Connor,Little and Large,Ken Dodd,Alvin Stardust,Roger deCoursey,Vince Hill and Lionel Blair.Chris North(neither had I, but apparently he is a magician) cut her into three bits one night in front of a bus load of pensioners!Oh and she has eaten fish and chips in the same fishshop as Cannon and Ball!!No I am not taking this thread too seriously.

Re: Brushes with celebrity (was "Claims To Fame")

I like this NEW thread ........ my 'brushes' with fame (too many to remember) starting with .........

My ex-husband Barry, is a backing musician and has backed nearly all the famous singers from 1970 to today (too many to mention) and most have smiled at me during rehersals, in fact my son Jack (cgull) was on stage with a couple when he was a small child.

I was a follower of Big Jim Sullivan (a non-sleeping groupie)

I have driven past Chris Ewbanks house many times (he has moved now) and waved to him when he has been on his run around town.

I have typed out lyrics to some of Eric Clapton's songs and spoken to him on the phone.

Loads more like that, can't even remember names .........

My uncle (mum's brother Tony Tenser) was a well know film producer in the 60's who had his offices opposite the "Two Eyes" club in soho, so met all the famous pop stars (well saw them) at that time (Tommy Steele etc etc)

--ooOoo--

I travelled up to the Young Liberals conference in Skegness in a minibus with Peter Hain, who was organising the anti-Apartheid marches at the time. We were in the company of the Bromley Young liberals - who were ultra right - including some fans of Enoch Powell, and the Croydon (very) Young Liberals who were ultra left, to the extent of being infiltrated with Young Trotskyites whose idea was to seize power when the Liberals got into Government. (You could'n't invent this).

I thought at the time that if Peter Hain could get such diverse groups marching together in a cause he would be a good outside bet for Prime Minister one day. It has been quite interesting to see how far he has got now in the Labour party and in the cabinet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    ....... nearly got run over by Princess Di as I was crossing the road outside Olympia in Kensington........
    Yeah, but you got your own back in Paris...

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I have had coffee with the great Franckie Manning and I mean hot drinks and chats as I was sitting next to him - never got to ask him to dance (my deepest regret)
    I sat and chatted to Chazz Young (after a tap lesson) about his dad, Frankie Manning, and about a lovely lady I know in the UK that would have loved to have been there to say hello.

I have eaten some humble pie and taken Double Trouble's advice and written to Franck to change the name of the thread. So hopefully we can all be friends again.
    Oh dear.

My contributions weren't intended to spoil the fun, just a gentle poke at celebrity culture. Even for dyed-in-the-wool scoffers like me, having a long and highly amusing conversation with Keith Floyd at a product launch event can be a memorable occasion...

(...although, thinking about it, that was largely because of how interesting, pleasant and amusing he was, rather than because he was famous.)
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 14th-December-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Thread Information