Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm NOT a Bah Humbug but......

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm NOT a Bah Humbug but......

I'm NOT a Bah Humbug but everyone seems to get so excited about CHRISTMAS and I just don't get it

I can understand it from a kids POV obviously, this mystical character called Santa Clause, magically flies through the air, comes down the chimney and drops off exactly what they've been wishing for, for weeks and weeks!

But what's in it for the adults? And what this Chistmassy feeling people are on about?

When I ask my friends what they're doing for Xmas, most tend to say, "we're doing the usual traditional Christmas day"

What IS that then

What do you and your family do on Christmas and Boxing day?

And if you had your way, would you do anything differently, and if so, what?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: I'm NOT a Bah Humbug but......

Lory I can see where you're coming from; I am definitely not Ebenezer Scrooge reincarnated but I seem to like Christmas and New Year more each year but for no real reason, just can’t be bothered and it all seems so over hyped. I can’t stand tacky decorations, especially tinsel

But to show I’m not all Bah Humbug:

On the positive I do get to see 2 out 3 of my brothers together and their kids all in one place, which is really nice. Boxing Day is always the big annual scrabble match between my and my youngest brother (he beat me one year and has not let me forget it).

The other positive is that the dance events are usually really good this time of year

When is Christmas this year?

I think if I didn't believe in the spiritual side of things - the birth of Christ and all that means - I'd maybe find it all a bit empty and commercial...?

I love the decorations, twinkly lights - I'm not a big fan of the dark nights of winter and the cosiness of Christmas with candles and good food helps get past the really dark days - by the time its over the days are starting to lengthen again. I like that I'm off work for a few days and can relax. I like that I can spend time selecting gifts for close friends and family.

But for me its the significance of Christmas that I find exciting! I love the carols and one of the highlights of Christmas Day for me is going to church.

I pretty much missed out on Christmas last year due to illness - couldn't send cards, buy gifts, get to any services or even have much of a Christmas dinner (but I did get home from hospital on Christmas Eve which was the best Christmas present I could have had!) so I'm allowing myself some time to enjoy it this year.
    Last edited by Lynn; 7th-December-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    , this mystical character called Santa Clause, magically flies through the air, comes down the chimney and drops off exactly what YOU have been wishing for, for weeks and weeks!

:
    BUT, only if you have been good and hung your stocking out

Lory, you haven't been bad , have you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    BUT, only if you have been good and hung your stocking out

Lory, you haven't been bad , have you?

What date do you have to start being good by or have I passed the deadline?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

What date do you have to start being good by or have I passed the deadline?
    It's more fun being bad ALLLLLLL Year then getting Pressies on ONE day Only

Commercial Operator

Loving Christmas

Christmas is a holiday and we all love them.

Christmas is a time for eating and drinking - love it.

Giving and receiving presents and kisses - tick.

Parties, yep, loads.

Dressing up

I really can't see what's not to like

Name another time of year that offers the same package?

Even if you don't believe in Father Christmas* you can still enjoy all the rest of the holiday.

*Father Christmas is finding it hard to post on this forum as he's had his posting rights removed - no wonder Lory doesn't believe

Blog Entries

I hate the expense of xmas but like Andy Mc Gregor listed, its all those lovely things.

For me its all about family, we all get together, we play games, drink, be merry, have time off work, i get excited to see my kids faces when they open pressies xmas day morning but for me christmas is christmas Eve - doing panto - christmas day - kids and their pressies, boxing day - family over or going over to family, getting together, eating and drinking too much and talking bollox... but after boxing day xmas is over for me.....

I pack everything up and think to myself, lovely now i can rest, do nothing and have some me time before its back to sodding work on the 4th, up at 6am and home at 7pm every day of the sodding week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Christmas is a time for eating and drinking - love it.

Giving and receiving presents and kisses - tick.

Parties, yep, loads.

Dressing up

I really can't see what's not to like

Name another time of year that offers the same package?
    I'm not saying that 'I' don't like xmas or have a good time over the period but then again, I don't think we ever have a 'traditional' Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    For me its all about family, we all get together, we play games, drink, be merry.........
    Like me Michele, i think you and your family do this throughout the year anyway?

I love Christmas, although it does sometimes seem like a lot of hassle, and I get annoyed by other people's (my OH's family!) lack of urgency over getting things agreed/organised. I love seeing everyone's lights go on in December, and hearing Christmas carols, and the fact that everyone seems so much cheerier as the Christmas season gets closer.

Before I was married, Xmas with my family was about Midnight Mass with my mum, watching repeats of The Snowman, eating lots, playing board games, playing cheesy christmas music and just catching up and relaxing. Our family is only small, so we always said we wished we had a big family Christmas.

Now I'm married (to a farmer), it is the big family Christmas. The churches round by us have a rotating vicar so it's guesswork as to which church has midnight mass so I've pretty much given up on that which is a shame. Instead, we always have a family meal at the local pub (my OH's family, us & 2 close family friends) on Christmas eve, drinks afterwards.

Then Christmas day we go down the road to give our nephews/niece their presents, back up to the farm, my family come over, traditional turkey lunch (either at ours or my mother-in-laws), and sit around lazing, talking, maybe watch any Xmas specials that are on, and that's it. All seems a bit tame, especially when we actually have fairly regular big family sunday dinners throughout the year.

The only downer for me is that Christmas day itself is generally cut quite short as the animals still need to be fed morning & evening. So there's never a nice cosy Christmas morning or evening - that's always lonely. Plus my OH hates having the decorations up - personally I love it, and am pleased we have nephews next door which gives us the excuse to make the most of nice decorations.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    When is Christmas this year?
    Unusually, it will be a few days before the end of December. 6, I think.
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 7th-December-2009 at 05:44 PM.

My mum and my stepmother pull out all the stops - decoration, enough food for a small African nation, more decoration, I get fussed over no end.

On the down side, there are: TV so loud it makes my fillings rattle (Mum's) and subtitles (Dad's); the long drive up and back; having to ration out the days and hours between the two homes. My sister's kids are pretty much grown up so they don't get quite so excited anymore.

Plus, nearly 10 days off work.

I'll give it foive.

I do not do xmas, never have and never will, I do not own any decorations and my dinner for as long as I can remember has been a ham sandwich. Last year I had left over Chinese from the night before.

BAH HUMBUG.

Bunch of commercial nonsense invented to part the common man from his cash, the church just tries to keep the working man downtrodden all of the time. All religion does is start wars and abuse young boys.

DTS XXX XX

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I do not do xmas, never have and never will, I do not own any decorations and my dinner for as long as I can remember has been a ham sandwich. Last year I had left over Chinese from the night before.

BAH HUMBUG.

Blimey Dave, how do you keep yourself insulated from it all beats me. I would love to treat it as just a normal day but it's impossible to get away from. A good week to visit a Muslim country, I think.

I just do not bother mate never have. This year I am at the Bat,s so a certain amount of festive cheer will be expected. I shall be nice to the kids and smile until me jaw aches then I will nip upstairs and watch tv.

HO HO HO

DTS XXX XXX

GoodIn no particular order
    Mulled wine
    Family visiting
    Christmas dinner
    Getting a lump in the throat over the school nativity play
    Christmas trees and lights
    Ringing for Midnight Mass
    Making seasonal dishes
    Glitter-coated demob party atmosphere at work
    Watching sitcoms in front of a toasty fire
    Solstice walks
    Having a focus for the deepest, darkest bit of the year
    Christmas carols

Bad
    Endless rounds of pointless Xmas card sending especially with people I never otherwise see with whom there is no reciprocal calling or emailing either. And to people I see most days!

Spending loads of money on overpriced trash

Travelling massive distances in the car on my own in poor weather to see people

Spending loads of my "free" time on making cossies for the school play.

Many of the things that I enjoy eg dancing, shutting up shop for a fortnight just when I have holiday and time to do them properly!

Feeling stressed about what to buy, how much to spend, will they like it, how long before it goes in the bin, getting it in the post, should I have bought so and so something........it just on on and on and round and round.

Trying to plan the arrangements, starting in August, so that everyone is sorted and happy, probably an impossibility

The anticlimax after the presents have been ripped open and the food eaten.

The Ugly

Falling out with my mother over trivialities every s*dding Christmas, never happens when it's sunny

Christmas starting in the shops before Hallowe'en's barely over. Ban it all until Dec 1st, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I think if I didn't believe in the spiritual side of things - the birth of Christ and all that means - I'd maybe find it all a bit empty and commercial...?
    Aww come on. 25th December?

A date to conflict with a holiday to celebrate the birth of the Sun God Mithras (Sol Invictus)

It is rather empty to invent a birth date, to conflict with another festival, for your own reasons.

Got to be a con... so why are we still going along with it?

Next thing you know, people will be saying Father Christmas wears red, due to Coca Cola advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Aww come on. 25th December?

A date to conflict with a holiday to celebrate the birth of the Sun God Mithras (Sol Invictus)

It is rather empty to invent a birth date, to conflict with another festival, for your own reasons.

Got to be a con... so why are we still going along with it?

Next thing you know, people will be saying Father Christmas wears red, due to Coca Cola advertising?
    Oh I do love a fellow kindred spirit.

Good on you Martin baby.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    All religion does is start wars and abuse young boys.

What

Religion is great... People that were killed by God in the Bible. 2,391,421. Excuding Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled.

People killed by Satan, as documented in the good book, 10, and even these he shares with God, since God allowed him to do it as a part of a bet. The seven sons and three daughters of Job.

All good stuff.

As to abusing young boys, all lies, much property across the world has been sold off to pay out the court cases of the accusers. Throw money at them, then we can say it does not happen. All lies I tell you

Happy Christmas

A time for giving and receiving, just ask any choir boy

Thread Information