Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Commercial Operator

Re: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

If you're interested in the 550d then this article makes interesting reading - esentially, the conclussion is that if you don't want high burst rates then the 7d is not really worth the extra dosh ....

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-e...u-5244-article

And anyone looking for a Nikon d5000 with the kit lens might want to check out Jacobs stores who are selling it for £480 + £50 cashback, very nice price

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

If this happens soon, the D700 is bound to come down in price
    http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/D700Grip/default.html

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    If you're interested in the 550d
    I've done it!

I've 'ORDERED' it!

I saw a good deal, where very bizarrely, the camera body 'with' the kit lens, is actually £120 'cheaper' than 'the body' alone.......work that one out HERE

Its definitely the cheapest I've seen it. (and I won't thank anyone who finds it cheaper ) and I'll have to save up for a/some better lenses at a later date!

So that's it, let the waiting game commence!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Sounds good - don't forget the £50 cashback from Canon as well http://www.canon.co.uk/eosspringcash...ashback_v1.swf

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I got chatting to this really lovely guy, .... we got on so well, that I might book a day with him, (he wasn't selling himself, he just happened to be there) so my day wasn't entirely wasted. .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    You're only jealous.....

...cos I might become a better photographer!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thankfully, after that we went for a coffee and I got chatting to this really lovely guy, who was extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of camera's, lenses and photography and I managed to pick his brains to pieces.
    Anyway in the end, it turns out he teaches photography and we got on so well, that I might book a day with him, (he wasn't selling himself, he just happened to be there) so my day wasn't entirely wasted. ...
    Can I ask who it was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Can I ask who it was?

Put it this way ... there are at least 10 of my FB friends who offer photographic training.

Blog Entries

I've 'ORDERED' it!

So that's it, let the waiting game commence!
    And wait I did!

But not anymore..... after numerous frustrating phonecalls and email exchanges, with a bunch of complete *uc£@%G @R$eHolz I've cancelled my order

So I'm making a trip to the most intimidating shop in London (Camulet ) to buy one this afternoon!

Take my advise and do yourselves a favour my friends! NEVER buy anything from SimplyElectronics!

Blog Entries

Its no good, just rang them and they're out of stock, with an estimated 2-5 weeks before they get anymore!

Its no good, just rang them and they're out of stock, with an estimated 2-5 weeks before they get anymore!
    I didnt want to upset you but SimplyElectronics are crap and if you get it it will be a grey import. No English manuals ever supplied. As I said try Warehouse Express or Park Cameras. Lovely, quick and usually in stock.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I didnt want to upset you but SimplyElectronics are crap and if you get it it will be a grey import. No English manuals ever supplied. As I said try Warehouse Express or Park Cameras. Lovely, quick and usually in stock.

Phil
    I am very concerned having read your comment Phil.

I recently ordered a Sony A230 which i received promptly yesterday. The packaging is Sony and has a sony seal on it too - but i'm concerned that you say they supply "grey imports" as it is a gift i need to be sure is legit, but now i'm thinking i should just send it back within its 14 day money back guarantee and buy it from Argos (which is only £3 more). I would be grateful if you could quantify as to why you have made this remark. I am grateful that you have posted it as it now makes me question what have bought & whether it is a legit Sony product.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I am very concerned having read your comment Phil.

I recently ordered a Sony A230 which i received promptly yesterday. The packaging is Sony and has a sony seal on it too - but i'm concerned that you say they supply "grey imports" as it is a gift i need to be sure is legit, but now i'm thinking i should just send it back within its 14 day money back guarantee and buy it from Argos (which is only £3 more). I would be grateful if you could quantify as to why you have made this remark. I am grateful that you have posted it as it now makes me question what have bought & whether it is a legit Sony product.
    I'm sorry to butt in Barry, I know the question wasn't aimed at me but believe me, if you have any issues with the product and need to contact customers services in the future, I just hope you don't have the experience that I've had with them

As I explained in the 'what made you frown today' thread, the team of helpers are next to useless!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ..... whether it is a legit Sony product.

Almost certainly a genuine Sony Product but it might not have the full manufacturers warranty

here is a good summery of grey imports

You can check if Nikon stuff is warranted by trying to register it with them

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Almost certainly a genuine Sony Product but it might not have the full manufacturers warranty

here is a good summery of grey imports

You can check if Nikon stuff is warranted by trying to register it with them
    Sorry Barry, on a secure site today so no access. Phil's pretty much covered it. I fell foul after buying a Panasonic video camera off them a couple of years ago. Instructions in some language I didn't recognise. Panasonic would recognise the guarantee as it was worldwide but it was £35 to get an English manual. It went back and I got it elsewhere.

The goods are legit, just the warranty or manuals which may not be suitable for the UK.

I contacted Simply Electronics and got this feedback

"Thank you for your email.

With regards to your concern, we would like to inform you that we don't offer a price match for our items as all of our products are already at its most competitive value.

As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer you a free ng SanDisk 4GB microSDHC Memory Card. We hope that this is acceptable.

On the other hand, although our products are UK specification they may be sourced from overseas. Therefore the manufacturers warranty and registration is no longer valid. Hence the reason why all products sold from us is inclusive of 12 month in house warranty. We would like to assure you however, that the goods you have purchased are covered from receipt of the order. In the event of a manufacturing defect with your purchase, you will still enjoy the benefits of a dedicated after sales, and repair service.

Meanwhile, should you have further queries, please feel free to email us again.

Best Regards,
    Elyce
    Customer Service Executive"

Suffice to say i am not at all happy that it does not have a manufacturers warranty i have now returned the goods and await the credit!

So a big thank you to guys
    and thank god i looked on this thread!
    Last edited by Barry; 18th-May-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

Phil
    Or The camera world they might not be the cheapest but their customer service will be second to none

Blog Entries

Just another word of warning, my friend ordered a camera from 'CameraBox', paying extra for next day delivery.
    when it didn't turn up the next day, or the next, she rang and thankfully spoke to someone far more helpful than mine with Simply Electronics but after trying to waffle on with excuses for a while, my friend managed to get him to tell her straight, that they didn't even have any in stock.
    Then she googled CameraBox reviews and complaints and was shocked to see literally thousands of posts of complaint!
    She immediately cancelled and ordered from someone else

Back to my camera. I got it in the end at the airport, in Dixons, where I have to say, I cannot fault the service.
    The girl who served me, even took the trouble to extremely carefully dismantle
    the box, to fit flat in my case, cos I'm a fussy moo and wanted to keep it. At the same time, someone else put the fiddley strap on for me and attached the lens..... all this done with nice smiles!

First thoughts on the camera... I love it and I'm getting real pleasure from some of the pics I've taken so far!

There's just a couple niggles...

..on video mode, the auto-focus is next to useless if you are filming any sort of action or panning round, as for example, if someone walks infront of the camera, there's a great clunking tzzz tzzzzz, as the camera re focuses in and out.

So, to get the best results, you have to manually focus and this is proving to be a skill that requires a certain level of practice and PATIENTS! Its probably something that'll become instinctive 'in time' but at the moment, its taking all my powers of concentration and the serious need for 'glasses'!
    (its definitely not suitable for someone with a 'point and shoot' mentality )
    Also, you can't look through the viewfinder in video mode, you have to look at the screen, which isn't very easy, when its bright sun!
    I had instant 'gadget envy' when I saw Mas parading around with his closed cup magnifier attached to his

Also, due to the sheer size of files, it ate a 16mb card, in less than a single day (a huge thank you to Mr Darcy, for allowing me to come around and dump )

Still, nobody every said photography was a cheap hobby!

I ended up getting a Sony A230 from Argos! £269.00 + free Bag worth £49.99 - damn sight better than the Simplyelectronics one!!

thanks again!

Thread Information