Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ... that's OK, I'll sort that out in PS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Bahhhh!

If you shoot in RAW and your white balance is a bit off and its slightly underexposed but you capture a fabulous moment (that you'd have missed, if you'd been fiddling about ) then SO WHAT?

...the point is, I get there 'in the end!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Bahhhh!

If you shoot in RAW and your white balance is a bit off and its slightly underexposed but you capture a fabulous moment (that you'd have missed, if you'd been fiddling about ) then SO WHAT?

...the point is, I get there 'in the end!
    Absolutely I never worry about WB in RAW

Blog Entries

As most of us into photography will already know, Adobe are about to release CS5!! Which on one hand, makes me feel like but on the other hand as I know I'll suffer CS5 envy, until the day I upgrade

But until then, you can join me tormenting myself by tuning in watching stuff like this http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs5 (I bet that rtwwpad, has pre-ordered his upgrade already )

BTW, is anyone a member of NAPP (mention in the above video), if so, is it worth it?

Hmmm, interesting rumour....
    here is another

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/04/15/ru...-pipeline.aspx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I don't get the Nikon numbering system, can anyone shed any light on it, it seems to me that they just pluck random numbers out of the sky

The Dashing Moderator

I don't get the Nikon numbering system, can anyone shed any light on it
    I think it's explained fully .
    Love dance, will travel

As most of us into photography will already know, Adobe are about to release CS5!! Which on one hand, makes me feel like but on the other hand as I know I'll suffer CS5 envy, until the day I upgrade

But until then, you can join me tormenting myself by tuning in watching stuff like this http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs5 (I bet that rtwwpad, has pre-ordered his upgrade already )

BTW, is anyone a member of NAPP (mention in the above video), if so, is it worth it?
    NAPP probably isn't worth it as they very rarely come to the UK, their deals are all for Americans not Europeans and their nice magazine has become a clunky Zinio e-publication.

I would recommend Kelby Training (still Scott and the boys) which has lots of videos on photoshop, lightroom and photography in general. Its a better spend of money.

Having said that if you can go to the 3 day photoshop world conference you will probably take your PS to a whole new level. I did a day with Ben Willmore when NAPP deigned to come over two years ago and it was mind blowingly good. Seriously, I don't go overboard when describing things, but he was such an incredible teacher.

No CS5 yet, going to wait for Lightroom 3 to come out and then buy in a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

I would recommend Kelby Training (still Scott and the boys) which has lots of videos on photoshop, lightroom and photography in general. Its a better spend of money.

http://www.kelbytraining.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think it's explained fully .
    Ahhhhhhhh of course!

Blog Entries

ever since rtwwpad let me play with his Nikon D700, I've been suffering from green-eyed monster sydrome
    Well, after some extensive research, a bit of soul searching and a reality check, I've realised that I don't really 'need' a camera with such a high spec (and price tag to match)

So, I'm currently looking at these two models

The Nikon D90 and the Canon 550d. Both have fantastic reviews and both come out tops, for different reasons.

I'm erring towards the Canon, as I like taking video's, as well as pics and this does well in both catagories, where as the Nikon, get 'slightly' better reviews on the pic but terrible reviews for vids

But, then again, I already have some Nikon gear and I'd have to start from scratch with the Canon.

But, then again, the Canon, is cheaper to start with...

I'm off to the photoshow at Hatfield tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to see them both up close and maybe even have a go with them.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

how much have you spent on lens and accessories so far for Nikon?

What type of photography do you want to do?

If its stuff on tripods then camera in hand feel isn't so important. If its portraiture or child portraiture you want something that's comfortable in the hand and which you can use easily.

Canon has a better lens line-up. Nikon lenses are sharper to my mind but not such a great selection.

Accessories and lenses could be bought on ebay.

Pretty much most of the time you will end up in Ae, Tv or M modes. As long as you have that functionality then that's what's important.

Do you want video for home use or is it just for youtube?

Does the type of photography require high shutter bursts. Quick AF etc.

On paper the newer 550d looks better but it has a smaller buffer and cannot take photos as quickly as the Nikon. But it is 18 mp against 13 mpixels, so if you like cropping and printing big you have more to work with.

Blog Entries

Good questions
    how much have you spent on lens and accessories so far for Nikon?
    Very little, in the grand scheme of things.. I have an 18-70mm lens, a SB600 flash (which, for all I know, could be compatible with the Canon... which would be very handy) and a shed load of CompactFlash cards, none of which are compatible

What type of photography do you want to do?
    Hmmm a bit of everything really

If its stuff on tripods then camera in hand feel isn't so important.
    I've got a tripod and know I should use it more often but I'm far too spontaneous and I hardly ever use it!

If its portraiture or child portraiture you want something that's comfortable in the hand and which you can use easily.
    I agree.

Canon has a better lens line-up. Nikon lenses are sharper to my mind but not such a great selection.
    I've seen various deals on the Canon with twin lens bundles, like this deal HERE

Accessories and lenses could be bought on ebay.
    I'm always nervous buying expensive stuff on Ebay

Pretty much most of the time you will end up in Ae, Tv or M modes. As long as you have that functionality then that's what's important.
    You've just pointed out another thing.. I'm going to have to learn 'Canon speak' if I go for the 550d

Do you want video for home use or is it just for youtube?
    Both for sure.

Does the type of photography require high shutter bursts. Quick AF etc.
    Nothing like motor racing or fast sports, so both sound more than adequate

But it is 18 mp against 13 mpixels, so if you like cropping and printing big you have more to work with.
    This is a a big plus for me, as I often like to 're-think' the crop, in the post processing but seeing as I'm coming from a mere 6mpixels, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with 13

I have a D90 which i use most of the time with the Nikon VR 18-200 Zoom
    This has the very big advantage of rarely having to change lenses. Admittedly at 200mm it’s a bit soft
    For wide angle I have the sigma 10-20 zoom
    Most of the comparison reviews, i have read, suggest there is not a big difference between Cannons 18 mp and Nikons 12 mp sensor. Cannon might be slightly better for resolution but Nikon has better colour depth This may be why a D3s has only 12 mp. With the 18-200 Zoom I rarely have to crop the image too much

The D90 is very well built with plenty of features. You will find it a very big improvement on your D70

The D90's big weakness, as you say is video, and I suspect their next camera will address this, so, if you can, try and hang on a bit

Not sure if your SB 600 will fit a Cannon but you would get about ~ £160 for it on eBay

I don’t know how Nikons brilliant i-TTL flash compares with Cannon

One difference you will notice comparing the D90 with the D700 is the view finder
    Good luck

Have a look here for deals. Don't go to Jessops.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digi...37-r2371#first

http://www.parkcameras.com/Search/EO...ory/Canon+EOS/

I would suggest going for Canon lenses rather than Tamron. Tamron are alright but the Canon one should be Image Stabalised, which will make a difference.

Sell your flash and get a new one - don't bother trying to make it work with wireless transmitters.

You'll find using a tripod will make you think about the shot more. If you go for a Canon. Make sure you buy the 50mm f1.4 lens. It will improve your photography no end. No zoom means you walk forward and back to get the cropping right and like a tripod it slows down the framing process. It also allows you to have fun with depth of field and again this will develop your skills. I found after about 2-3 weeks of using it, my photography went up leaps and bounds.

Its like going to Ceroc 1/ a week and then going for your first weekender

. Tamron are alright

This was take with the Tameron 70-300 It would be shaprer with the Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR II but the Nikon lens cost ~£5000

but do NOT buy the Tameron 18 -200 its auto focus is very very slow compared to the Nikon 18 200
    Last edited by philsmove; 24th-June-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Commercial Operator

Some Tamrons are good some are awful, so are some Canon Lenses & so are some from Sigma - research is the name of the game.

The 550 does look rather tempting - I've got a 30d & have resisted upgrading to the 50d but at under £600 the 550 does push a few button - the HD video would be good for nature stuff, especially when paired with the long lens I have & it's small size would be handy for times I don't want to take the big body (I think I'd keep the 30d for a lot of stuff though as it's still a cracking camera that will work better for hand holding with the heavier lenses I have). That said the 7d is edging down towards the £1000 mark ....

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Some Tamrons are good some are awful, so are some Canon Lenses & so are some from Sigma ....
    So play safe and stick to Nikon

Blog Entries

I'm off to the photoshow at Hatfield tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to see them both up close and maybe even have a go with them.
    OMG, what a joke.... a photoshow, with not one single camera, or lens, in sight

It should really have been called 'the photobook' show, as 80% of the stands were on those, plus printing and paper etc.

We went to the seminar by Guy Gowan and FeelingPink, you were quite right, he's an arrogant son of a bitch.
    He turned up 40mins late and with no apology, started showing his stuff, then about 20mins into his lecture (when people had already been sitting for well over an hour) he had the cheek to look around and say.. "I used to look like you lot when I lived in the UK.... tired all the time. Now, I get up at 4am and I'm full of energy "
    It took every ounce of self composure, to stop myself from saying out loud....BUT YOU STILL DIDN'T MAKE IT HERE ON TIME, DID YOU

Thankfully, after that we went for a coffee and I got chatting to this really lovely guy, who was extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of camera's, lenses and photography and I managed to pick his brains to pieces.
    Anyway in the end, it turns out he teaches photography and we got on so well, that I might book a day with him, (he wasn't selling himself, he just happened to be there) so my day wasn't entirely wasted.

We didn't hang about for any more seminars, as it was too crowded.

Thread Information