Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Its was an impulse buy
    With no research?

Ahh, you missed half the fun!

Well at least this is what I'm 'trying' to convince myself
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I only have the lens that came with the camera a basic Canon 18mm - 55mm.
    I get frustrated by the lack of sharp focus though because it has no IS. I was warned that photography can be VERY expensive, I've only had the camera for 2 months and I already want to get another lens!
    At the risk of subjecting you to the lens bug - I ended up getting the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Which, iirc, cost me more than the camera, but is an utter joy to use. I was specifically after a good low-light lens, and I've not been disappointed.

Since then, I've had absolutely no desire to get another lens. Which is probably just as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    With no research?
    Ahh, you missed half the fun!

I had spent a lot of time on the Nikon stand playing with all their toys and chatting to there very knowledgeable guys first

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    At the risk of subjecting you to the lens bug - I ended up getting the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Which, iirc, cost me more than the camera, but is an utter joy to use. I was specifically after a good low-light lens, and I've not been disappointed.

Since then, I've had absolutely no desire to get another lens. Which is probably just as well....
    I have decided to not even start trying to do indoor photography, after the few dismal attempts with my current equipment. I too don't like flash, but I don't seem to be able to get enough light indoors without it to make a decent exposure.

I have decided to not even start trying to do indoor photography, after the few dismal attempts with my current equipment. I too don't like flash, but I don't seem to be able to get enough light indoors without it to make a decent exposure.
    Do you like the idea of:
    - being closer to window light?
    - using a tripod, cable release and slower shutter speed?
    - a video light or simply a desk lamp?
    - new (shiny) equipment with stupidly high ISO (Canon's Mk IV or Nikon's D700 or D3s), athough realise it might not be within the average budget of Santa or the birthday fairy

There's also the option of off-camera flash with a portable softbox attached. It 'sounds' complicated, but with a bit of practice, gives lovely light for portraits and can be brilliant for lighting (or backlighting) dancing.

What are you trying to photograph?

Commercial Operator

Which, with the wide maximum aperture & image stabilisation, is where a lens like this can be of quite some help...

Blog Entries

I've had a DSLR for a few years and not done much with it (seemed like a good idea at the time ).
    I'm loving this thread so far, as I can dip in and out of it and you're mostly explaining it in ways that I've found easier to "get" than books or "expert" websites.
    However, some of the earlier pictures seem to have disappeared.
    Is there a reason they've gone and can we have them back please?

Just switched from Canon to Nikon (expensive). D40 and D50 have both gone titsup when shooting clients. So it all turned up in shiny gold boxes after my shopping spree. Now the proud owner of a D3s and D700. Shocked that the 24-70 f2.8 isn't image stablised though. It was only released 3 years ago. Bit of a bummer, I'll have to remember how to handhold at focal length.

Have a look at getting items through Photolease.

Tried the new EOS IDmkIV at SWPP but it just felt too big in my hands and to be honest I prefer full frame.

Had a test run already but first new job with the Nikon is Saturday.

I have to admit the images are not as soft out of the camera and I shot a pic of my little girl at the top of the stairs when she woke up when I was checking it all out. Unbelievable at ISO6400. I couldn't see her to focus and its just incredible the amount of light this thing sees. As I couldn't see her properly I just let Autofocus do its job and it picked up one of the pictures behind her. So she was blurred but I could read the text on the image behind her, which is just ridicolous.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    . Now the proud owner of a D3s and D700. .
    As someone about to buy a D3s or a D700 and is a bit reluctant to splash out on a D3s, apart from the very ISO values of the D3s, is there any difference the image quality of the the D3s v D700 at say ISO 3200 or 1600

for little girls at the top of stairs I wonder if set you the AF to single point it might do better ( so even with 51 point focus it still gets it wrong )

Just switched from Canon to Nikon (expensive).
    Got any old Canon lenses you want to give away?
    Now the proud owner of a D3s and D700. .
    That's about £5,000 on cameras! (Where's the 'faint' smiley?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    However, some of the earlier pictures seem to have disappeared.
    Is there a reason they've gone and can we have them back please?
    I don't know where they've gone

Now the proud owner of a D3s and D700.
    Oooh, that's just greedy!

Have a look at getting items through Photolease.
    Could you give some more details on this please

Unbelievable at ISO6400. I couldn't see her to focus and its just incredible the amount of light this thing sees. As I couldn't see her properly I just let Autofocus do its job and it picked up one of the pictures behind her. So she was blurred but I could read the text on the image behind her, which is just ridicolous.
    How was the graininess?

As someone about to buy a D3s or a D700 and is a bit reluctant to splash out on a D3s, apart from the very ISO values of the D3s, is there any difference the image quality of the the D3s v D700 at say ISO 3200 or 1600
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quite an interesting web site here
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
    covers everything form snappy happy's to the stuff most of us cant afford

Quite an interesting web site here
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
    covers everything form snappy happy's to the stuff most of us cant afford
    I now know the benefit of stopping to FART first!

Lory No real grain. Comparable to what you would see at ISO 800 on an EOS40D or EOS 50D.

Phil, I woudn't say there is much between them at 1600, 3200. Probably the D3s 3200 looks like 1600 or 1000 on the D700. It all depends what you want it for. However it really is incredible what can be achieved. I'm taking some sample shots over the weekend at a dance event (newbury) and will send them over if you pm me an email address.

Lory,

http://www.photolease.co.uk/pages/100/Home.htm

is the website. Its basically the same as leasing a car. I think they only deal with businesses which is how me and I think Phil_db make money. I run a ltd company and I simply pay on an agreed timescale. At the end of the time I pay one extra installment and the kit is mine. Free's up my cash as this big change just cost me 11K, and while I could afford for the company to pay that I would rather have cash reserves in the bank in case work dries up and a smallish outlay each month for the kit.

Crue, I will be selling the kit on ebay and using the average price on there as my target. If you want to make an offer on anything let me know beforehand. I'm a stickler for keeping my kit in top working condition. I'm also selling my printer (epson 7800) framing kit (morso, keencut excalibur, artist plus, cassesse underpinner and a couple of boxes of tools, mountboard and framing material). If you thought photogrpahy was expensive wait until you start framing. Moving into a different area of photography and need the space in my studio.

for little girls at the top of stairs I wonder if set you the AF to single point it might do better ( so even with 51 point focus it still gets it wrong )
    You might want to hang on a bit longer. There are rumours that Nikon will release a D700s in the next couple of weeks that will have dual card slots (good for card failure).

Something I also learned about focusing in workshops last week was focusing using the back button (Nikon & Canon), which separates the function of focusing from the shutter release. It means you can focus, recompose and then press the shutter. Takes about 60 shots before it's second nature and means much more accurate focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    . There are rumours that Nikon will release a D700s .
    or a D700x which would meet my requirements (but probably not my pocket ), or may be a D800,
    perhaps i should wait for the D4

Blog Entries

or a D700x which would meet my requirements (but probably not my pocket ), or may be a D800,
    perhaps i should wait for the D4
    I got a Sony TX1 just before Xmas (a lovely little compact) and now they've just brought out a new one, which has annoying tweeked some of the area's that were on my 'could be better' list!

Still, I console myself with the fact, I've got some pic/video's, that capture some great moments, that I wouldn't have, if I didn't have a camera at all!

Crue, I will be selling the kit on ebay and using the average price on there as my target. If you want to make an offer on anything let me know beforehand. .
    I suspect your Canon kit is still way above my price limit and needs just yet.

I'm going for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS next. I want to do candid shots and this seems to suit my budget at present.

Blog Entries

Now the proud owner of a D3s and D700.
    And I had the 'absolute' pleasure of playing with these big boys, when I met rtwwpad and he was kind enough to let me loose with them!

I'm now very very jealous but have decided that I'm not that greedy, the D700 on its own, will do just me fine Oh, and the lens.. of course!

It was lovely to meet you Phil and thank once again!

That was the 12-24 f2.8 that you liked so much. Its a great lens. Will post you some pics when I get chance.

Lovely to meet and dance with you as well.

See you at Camber.

Thread Information