Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Re: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Here is a chance to win a D700

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/competitions/6365

The catch, To claim the prize you must spend 3 days in a hotel with a load of anoraks with 70 -200 zooms

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    it does look pretty good fun.. but I'm not that good. Not keen on the idea of all my cr*ppy photos being scrutinised by people afterwards.
    Bahh.. someone else might not think they're crappy

Personally, I'm looking at it as a day to 'watch and learn' from the experts and I'd be quite flattered if anyone took the time to scrutinise my pics and give some sort of feedback.. positive OR negative.

I'm not going along with any expectations that I'm going to produce anything 'prize-worthy' I'd just like to come away with something that 'I' like and to see what 'others' come up with too!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Personally, I'm looking at it as a day to 'watch and learn' from the experts and I'd be quite flattered if anyone took the time to scrutinise my pics and give some sort of feedback.. positive OR negative.
    I used to be a member of the Bon Accord Camera Club in Aberdeen. They had weekly competitions that you were "encouraged" to enter but really it was just the same two or three professional photographers who won every time and an excuse for everyone else just to poo poo your pictures. I also find, perhaps it's just me, that when you get a collection of eager photographers in a room there a lot of this "What? you're using THAT lens? Why aren't you using this £5000 lens.. like Me?? <smug> <smug>" There's a lot of this My kit is better than your kit stuff going on , People with the very best lenses and about a dozen of them.. whereas there's me and my anorak and 70 -200 zoom.

I'm actually off out on a photography walk today.. just me, and my cameras .. probably around the south bank area of London. Don't expect to take anything worthy of anything other than storing in my voluminous hard drive though

Blog Entries

70 -200 zoom
    Like THAT'S not showing-off!

I'm actually off out on a photography walk today.. just me, and my cameras .. probably around the south bank area of London.
    I went on one yesterday, with my 18-55mm kits lens!

Out of 86 pics, I got 4 I like! Not bad I say
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

actually I was incorrect.. it's a 70-300 zoom !

but it's the cr*ppy non digital lens I got when I bought my EOS 300 (note the lack of the final D)

I rarely use it.. just carry it around with me on the off chance I see something distant I want to photograph out of focus and and plenty of motion blur

I took... about a dozen pics yesterday wasn't really in the mood. Haven't looked at them yet.

Blog Entries

I rarely use it.. just carry it around with me on the off chance I see something distant I want to photograph out of focus and and plenty of motion blur
    Bless!
    I came across I guy yesterday, with one of the biggest lenses I've ever seen in the flesh. He was all set up at the edge of the lake and I couldn't help remarking "wow, that's a big one you have there"

Anyway, we got chatting and he explained he was actually a motor sport photographer but he fancied a bit of peace and tranquility for a change but he went on to explain, he wasn't having much success at focussing, with such small targets, that move very unpredictably

So there you go, you're not alone!

I know this should be on a different thread but though only you guys might appreciate it

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three
    thousand times the memory.
    Sorry if its an old one

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

It was my 25th wedding anniversary a couple of weeks back and I was bought a great surprise anniversary pressie! A new lens! Canon EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro. Ok so it isn't silver but it's pretty impressive, I tried it out quickly yesterday and got this pic. You can see my husband in the background too!
    Last edited by Cruella; 24th-May-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

This was the one I meant to upload! LOL
    Last edited by Cruella; 24th-May-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Something I also learned about focusing in workshops .
    Finally got round to buying a D700 (and yes I also got the 50mm f1.4) but I am struggeling with all the differnt focussing options

Laurie Excell on line video http://www.kelbytraining.com/ is useful but does not go into it in depth. Any other source's of information

My new camera is a compact P&S (I wanted something I could carry easily in my pocket), not a DSLR, but it has some manual settings so I'm trying to learn about settings for ISO, shutter speed etc. Can anyone recommend a good book or resource for complete beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    . Can anyone recommend a good book or resource for complete beginners?
    Most books seem to assume you have DSLR
    But have you looked at the CD that should have come with the Camera

My new camera is a compact P&S (I wanted something I could carry easily in my pocket), not a DSLR, but it has some manual settings so I'm trying to learn about settings for ISO, shutter speed etc. Can anyone recommend a good book or resource for complete beginners?
    I had this one a while back.. it was pretty good. I think if you search for this author you may find a more up to date version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Photog...8505907&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Most books seem to assume you have DSLR
    But have you looked at the CD that should have come with the Camera
    Thanks, I should do that.

Up until last Sat I was taking pics with my mobile phone - holiday, scenes, everything. So having any sort of a camera is a big learning curve. I've been having fun so far!

Unpack camera
    Day one - take photos
    Day two -try to work out why some photos are out of focus
    Day three- try to find instruction book
    Day four- find varies excuses for not reading book (go to Tango workshop)
    Day five- read book
    Day six- try out all the various settings
    Day 7- re read manual to find out how to re set factory default setting

Hint Before you play with all the menus, find out how to set the settings back to default

The good news, most cameras return to default when set to AUTO. the tweaks only work when the camera is set to P

P stands for Program, not Professional mode

Unpack camera
    Day one - take photos
    Day two -try to work out why some photos are out of focus
    Yep! But in my case...
    Day three - spend the day with friend who has lots of fancy DSLR equipment and who explains basics about ISO, shutter speed, light etc... - but there was so much to take in and I wasn't writing any of it down...!

The good news, most cameras return to default when set to AUTO. the tweaks only work when the camera is set to P

P stands for Program, not Professional mode
    I have a P and an M mode (Manual). I've been playing mostly with the manual mode as that seems to have most settings to vary.... There is also IA - Intelligent Auto which works out and changes settings (handy for really quick shots). When I upload the pics to computer the software allows me to see the ISO, shutter speed and aperture of each photo, including the ones the camera has set in IA, which is useful and is helping me learn.

This is a key point for me - I tend to see things I want to take a photo of when I'm out and about doing other things, its not that I tend to go out specifically to take photos - its more if I'm out walking, or travelling somewhere and see something that I want to stop and capture... so ideally something small enough to just always have with me in bag or pocket. I'm not going to carry an SLR about everywhere with me, so probably no point in getting one, at the moment anyway.
    It took me a while to get round to getting a camera, but I'm really enjoying it! Got a Sony HX5 as I wanted a bit more than a basic P&S and I liked the idea of having video.

I've had it 10 days and so far have tried outdoor shots in bright sunlight - from coastal scenes to close ups of flowers in the garden, and indoor shots of people. Also taken some video clips at freestyle in really low light and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

It has a x10 zoom and my latest attempts were portraits of friends round a table at a meal last night. After a while they got used to me pointing it and I got some nice natural shots and expressions. I had the ISO quite high, and it seemed to be not too bad. I'm not keen on using flash, partly because I prefer the more realistic colours and light without it and partly because flash is intrusive and so harder to get those natural shots of people.

I'm still just starting to learn about stuff - like ISO, shutter speed etc, and I've limited control over settings (esp for aperture), and am totally clueless about WB (I was playing about with it last night but am not sure what I did...)

I might move up to a DSLR at some point - but not til I've learnt more about photography. At the moment I have a small, light camera I can carry everywhere, I can play about with some settings and I'm really having fun!

Blog Entries

Firstly, having had my 550D for a few weeks now and the time to get to get used to handling it, I'm pleased to report that overall, I'm absolutely thrilled with it and not to blow my own trumpet 'too loudly' I've taken some awesome shots!

But, I do have a few little niggles... mainly I have to say, with the video mode -

Low light = Fab

Quality of HD = Fab

Quick response time = fab

Auto focus = Hmmm

Manual Focus = Brilliant, 'IF' you have 'time' and the expertise!!!!

To elaborate...... something you simply can't do with a 'normal' compact on video-mode, is change lenses.

And with this, comes the ability to be able to sharp focus on just one subject, leaving the rest slightly out of focus (it happens ALL the time on TV, drawing your attention to what they want you to look at .. most of the time we're simply are unaware of it. Next time you watch a programme where two people are talking, pay attention to how the focus shifts)
    But its HARD! Especially when under pressure and things are happening fast!

And what makes it even harder, is the fact you can't use the 'eyepiece' in video -mode
    And what makes that even harder, is when its bright and sunny and you can't see the LCD properly ARGH! but I am getting better and more used to how subtle you have to be with the focus ring. And when I get it right... WOO HOOOO!

SD cards = They're not cheap and it was ridiculous of me to think I could get away with just one.. The HD video-mode just eats them

The next thing is.. The built in Mic..

Indoors = great!
    Outdoors, no wind - fine!
    Outdoors, with wind = TERRIBLE!

Which brings me to a question.. can anyone recommend a mic that doesn't cost the earth, the would fit onto the hotshoe, with the ability to be covered with a wind sleeve? and possibly a cable for occasional off camera use?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    OMG, what a joke.... a photoshow, with not one single camera, or lens, in sight

It should really have been called 'the photo book' show, as 80% of the stands were on those, plus printing and paper etc.
    Just back from the Bristol one

Colin Buck gave an amazingly boring presentation on the Benefits of joining the MPA

Bought a neat camera sling thing, that allows you have two cameras round your neck, with out getting strangled

and fell in love with wedding albums from Graphite Studio

I'll be very surprised if you don't see lots of men with Jessops camera bags and their latest camera and 70-200 lens slung around their necks,:
    none in sight

There could even be teams of three scrawny young men in tight blue bathing suits advertising an insurance company.
    just one, looking very sad and unhappy

scantily clad young female model,
    Sadly not

Blog Entries

I saw this on another forum and it made me laugh...

How (not) to take a self timer portrait

1. find a nice background
    2. press the timer
    3. run to selected spot, pose and smile
    4. OOOPS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information