Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 129

Thread: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Watching Lory's video left me wondering if any actual dancing happened at the weekend... there was a brief glimpse towards the end though! It also reminded me of the only "big" weekender I've been on, Skegness in June, and how much I didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure how I'm managing to miss all this wonderfulness that everyone keeps talking about, and what it is that makes people reschedule the rest of their lives around dance weekenders, but I'm afraid I've never encountered it - although judging by quite a few people's reactions to my 'dancing' at Skegness, maybe the problem's just me.
    Good question. Three aspects, in no order of importance:
    Social
    Lessons
    Dance

    The first time I went the enjoyment order was from bottom to top. It subsequently changed to be top to bottom. After eight weekenders I found there was insufficient buzz about going again and the time and money value was not there. I stick to doing freestyles on Saturday night; not the same thing but you have to trade off the different aspects.

  2. Thanks:

    frodo (24th-November-2009)

  3. #102
    Registered User emmylou25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Banbury
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 104 Times in 75 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    When you read a lot of the posts on here and people are enthusing about the fabulous dance they had with whoever, it can make the less accomplished dancers amongst us(me included) feel somewhat intimidated and inadequate.
    Unless you are part of the 'elite' dancing 'clique'(gang) you dont feel that you fit in.
    I agree with some of this.

    People on here (and probably outside of the forum) are always looking for that great dance, but 'great' can mean different things to different people. For me a weekender is about accessing those 'amazing' dancers that I never see the rest of the time (these could be teachers in the 'teachers' area in the main room, it could be people i've seen dancing the way i'd like to dance, or it could be looking out for forumites that i've heard great things about. And often at a weekender, I feel a bit disappointed with good dances until I've hit that one 'amazing' one (usually by midnight on the Friday), then everything seems on a high after that.

    Unfortunately cliques do exist, often accidentally (eg the forum group) but for some reason it impacts me more in the blues room. In the main room, I'm not going to let myself be held back by being scared to ask someone to dance if people are in a hotshot group (for me those seemingly unobtainable people are hotshoty there, but the blues room feels more cliquey because people generally congregate round tables there/socialise more so it's harder to tell when they're ready to get up and dance).

    I wouldn't say I'm intimidated or feel inadequate due to my standard of dancing, but it's like anything...finding that way to approach a group - whether it's in real life or the dance world. I don't know that there's much a 'clique' can do to avoid the label, as a lot of it may be down to perceptions of the person looking in.

  4. #103
    Commercial Operator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,203
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Funny ... I've always thought it pretty straightforward. At weekenders there are vast amounts of dancers at all levels. If you want to dance inside your own 'standard', then there are many options. If you want to step up, there are lots of very accomodating dancers at the top level who revel who dancing with people regardless of standard. There are also people who are snobs regardless of their own standard. I've been refused twice by a local instructor who patently thinks I am below her standard I've also been turned down by dancers at weekenders who were appalling dancers, but thought they were fab. No loss in either case ... lots of others to dance with.

    ..... personal view entirely

  5. #104
    Basically lazy robd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nr Cambridge
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 437 Times in 241 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I actually read all that and then had to ask myself what on earth for.

    Come on Frodo-lighten up.
    That's a bit rich coming from you, one of the more persistently negative forum posters isn't it? People in glasshouses....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I've been refused twice by a local instructor who patently thinks I am below her standard I've also been turned down by dancers at weekenders who were appalling dancers, but thought they were fab.
    Do you know this is why you were turned down Gus? It is often an assumption that people who refuse other people are up their own backside and believe themselves to be much better dancers than those they are refusing. Does believing this make the refused feel any better about the refusal?

  6. #105
    Commercial Operator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,203
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Do you know this is why you were turned down Gus? It is often an assumption that people who refuse other people are up their own backside and believe themselves to be much better dancers than those they are refusing. Does believing this make the refused feel any better about the refusal?
    Yup ... because she is TOTALLY up her arse ... find it quite amusing really ... having seen her dance I know its no loss

  7. #106
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northeastern Parts
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 644 Times in 356 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Yup ... because she is TOTALLY up her arse ... find it quite amusing really ... having seen her dance I know its no loss
    That's not ... the most convincing argument I've ever heard. How do you know it's not all a front, and that she's not, in actual fact, quite nervous of you? (for example)

  8. #107
    Registered User Danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    This thread is lame beyond belief. That's all I have to say.

  9. #108
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northeastern Parts
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 644 Times in 356 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This thread is lame beyond belief. That's all I have to say.
    Thank you. Do you feel that this observation has improved the thread and made it less lame?

  10. #109
    Registered User ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Borehamwood, Herts
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Originally Posted by Danni
    This thread is lame beyond belief. That's all I have to say.
    [/quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Thank you. Do you feel that this observation has improved the thread and made it less lame?
    Danni it would be helpful if you could qualify what you mean by this thread.

    In my opinion a number of interesting issues have been raised
    - Peoples views on weekenders generally
    - Peoples views on the learning experience at weekenders. This part of the thread has also had a spin off thread that has had around 50 posts since it started yesterday

    and more controversially
    - The nature of some posts and posters generally

    It woud also be helpful if you gave your reasons for your views. Thanks.

  11. #110
    Registered User Villemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    What's all the fuss about?
    -Super excitement Friday morning, dragging suitcase to work.
    -Annoying coworkers until they carry your suitcase out of the office for you, and say "see you Tuesday".
    -Hours in a car with friends, playing music, talking and laughing (and sometimes getting lost...)
    -Dumping stuff in chalet, and off to check out who's already arrived.
    -Dancing, dancing, ZZzzzzzz
    -Meeting forum friends!
    -Showing up totally exhausted at work Tuesday morning, with a dreamy blues look on your face (very often mis-interpreted by coworkers), and falling asleep during meetings...

    I have been to three weekenders now. June/Sept Skegness and October SP.
    June was probably the best one. Going with my best friend, and so happy to finally be going. Introduction to the Blues room was very intimidating, but I love the music! Meeting lots of great people, and having some really great dances. I'm still a bit shy about asking anyone to dance (yes, believe it or not). Big adjustment in dancing to do the blues, and a thanks to everyone who has helped with lovely dances and impromptou dance lessons.

    September was my worst weekender. Struggling with health problems, my dancing was so bad, I'm not sure it could even be called dancing. Bumbling and stumbling might be better words for it.
    If I had driven myself, I would probably have left Saturday morning, I had such an aweful time. Luckily, things improved, and from Saturday night on it was good. What made it good again for me was the people. Some I had met in June, some very new meets. One lead asked if I wanted some tips since he knew I wasn't having a good time .

    October was great! Much more dancing than the prior two weekenders, and I'm sure that's because I know more people, and feel more confident in asking them to dance (and by knowing people, you get asked more as well). I had Feb booked before leaving Monday morning.

    Okay, so back to the main title.
    The fuss for me is about people, fun and dancing. This forum is a great help to meet people when you go on a weekender. I wear a stupid t-shirt with my name on it Friday nights, though I'm not sure if it serves to make people come up and say hi, or silently sneak away.
    You'll hear people say it's about "paying your dues", and it's true. The more effort you put into it (and into meeting new friends), the more you get back. It takes time getting to know people.
    I don't really do any workshops. Not because I'm a great dancer, but because I don't feel I get anything out of a class with 300+ people in it. I prefer to stay social, and just dance (not to mention some of the classes just start too da*n early!).
    Roll on February, and my next weekender!
    And all around . See you on the dancefloor!

  12. 3 'Thanks':

    Astro (23rd-November-2009), dave the scaffolder (22nd-November-2009), Lynn (22nd-November-2009)

  13. #111
    Basically lazy robd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nr Cambridge
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 437 Times in 241 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Yup ... because she is TOTALLY up her arse ... find it quite amusing really ... having seen her dance I know its no loss
    It may well be true but you still don't know that this is why she refused you (nor why you bothered asking her in the first place given your observation at the end). It's a hypothetical situation but if, say, someone I disliked were to ask me, I'd refuse her on the basis of disliking her as a person rather than any perception of her dancing ability or lack of it in relation to my own. Perhaps these people who have refused you feel similarly?
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 23rd-November-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Removed reference to another forumite. Words in italics were written by me.

  14. #112
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    what does probably mean.
    'Probably' because 'still' is a term which can cover both the future and the past. It implies yes to the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I would agree with your answer but based upon the next part of your post it appears you are putting the Skegness weekenders (Posted by CheesyRobMan - the only "big" weekender I've been on, Skegness in June) in the same category as the 2009 Ceroc weekenders.
    Definitely, the same category here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    In view of the problems associated with Skegness as a venue I don't think this is correct and is very misleading for CheesyRobMan...
    The basic point I've made from my short first post on this thread. As the era of really good weekenders ended in 2008, the 'not wonderful' category is presently large.

    You could argue if I'm wrong it is misleading. But 'wrong' would be the usual term.

    If narrower categories were to be used, I agree with you; they should be (mostly) separated into different categories. (But in my view reversing the order).

  15. #113
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    For instance during the course of this year IMO the Southport weekenders have improved exponentially each time. So if you attended the first one your experience would have been different to the last one
    In my view I cannot see how Ceroc weekenders are very different from each other at all.

    So given knowledge of the DJs, teachers, schedule and venue, and a bit of trusted second hand to fill odd gaps, there isn't really much to experience.


    To take your particular example though:-

    Granted gender balance may have gotten a bit better.
    The organisation may have improved a bit.
    A little igloo may have replaced the open dance floor area in the foyer.
    Perhaps they managed to play music between classes.

    But where is the exponential improvement ?

    The schedule didn't show much improvement (or the reverse - They had 3 sets of external teachers at the the first event and 1 at the last). This set would have been at the first if it hadn't been for the date change.


    In the 'wonderful' era (at the same venue) you had four good size DJ'd freestyle venues, 3 sets of simultaneous classes all day with a half an hour break relevant music break between them, a high level of teacher experience, the teachers changed much more between weekends and just lots of diversity and variety in teaching, music, and styles.

    Given Ceroc don't appear to have done much in these areas I struggle to see what improvements they may have made which don't pale into insignificance by comparison.

  16. #114
    Registered User ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Borehamwood, Herts
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    'Probably' because 'still' is a term which can cover both the future and the past. It implies yes to the past.).

    I hear what you say frodo but I think you would need to be a genius to work that out if you are right in what you say about how the word "still" should be read in your answer. However I think you are wrong in the way this word has been used by you and therefore impossible to work out. My reasons for this are:

    Firstly, I would suggest it was as obvious to you as it was to me that DTS was asking if you had been on any of the wekenders you had commented on. Otherwise what relevance would the question have had in the debate you were taking part in.

    Secondly, if we are going to split hairs, I would say "do you still do weekenders" which was the fuller version of DTS's quote relates to the up to now and therefore the past because the next weekender is not until February. I would suggest if the future was intended DTS would have said "will you still do weekenders".

    Thirdly, the use of the word "still" in this context does not seem to be a reason. It seems to be establishing a condition limiting the extent of your answer.

    Fourthly the word "still" was in the first half of the sentence not the second half where the word "probabally" was used. Therefore your words in brackets (among other reasons) related to the word probally and not to still which is what you are now trying to say.

    Quite honestly if I am wrong on all four points above it just proves my point anyway. Don't you think it would have been good form to have given a much clearer answer so at least everybody knew what you meant. Even with the explanation you have given I would say that the clarity is in doubt.

    At least you have now confirmed that you have attended a/some weekenders.

    Definitely, the same category here

    The basic point I've made from my short first post on this thread. As the era of really good weekenders ended in 2008, the 'not wonderful' category is presently large.

    You could argue if I'm wrong it is misleading. But 'wrong' would be the usual term.

    If narrower categories were to be used, I agree with you; they should be (mostly) separated into different categories. (But in my view reversing the order)
    In my opinion Skegness has a number of major issues that are not relevant to Ceroc Weekenders. These issues in order of importance to me are:
    1 Not having use of the main dance venue until 11:30 pm. Not only is this a problem in itself, it also creates a disjointed evening every evening.
    2 The venues are not under the same roof
    3 There is no opportunity of outside dancing
    4 The dance floors laid by JA were of very poor quality
    5 The better quality accommodation is a 15 minute walk to the dance venues or you get accommodation close to the venue that is worse than the acccommodation at any of the Ceroc venues
    6 You share the site with non dancers

    Taking the above into account how can you possibally say that Skegness is better than the Ceroc 2009 weekenders. I would appreciate you giving your reasons.

    On that basis the Ceroc 2009 weekender must have been terrible but in your expalnation of probabally you have said that you will still be attending Ceroc weekenders. This seems to be contradiction to me.

  17. #115
    Registered User ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Borehamwood, Herts
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    In my view I cannot see how Ceroc weekenders are very different from each other at all..
    In 2009 I only attended the Southport weekenders and Feb Skegness and I was speaking from personal experience only. I have attended Ceroc weekenders at Camber and Brean in the past

    So given knowledge of the DJs, teachers, schedule and venue, and a bit of trusted second hand to fill odd gaps, there isn't really much to experience.
    To take your particular example though:-
    Granted gender balance may have gotten a bit better.
    The organisation may have improved a bit.
    A little igloo may have replaced the open dance floor area in the foyer.
    Perhaps they managed to play music between classes.
    IMO the Ceroc DJ's in the main room are far superior to any JA put up (with the exception of LIzard Lounge and they last used him in 2007) although in the Blues Room and Latin Room I would say they were on a par.

    I will give my comments on the teachers and schedule below. I have already commented on the venue in my earlier post.

    More importantly, I deduce from the above (highlighted bits) that you may not have done any of the Southport weekenders and if this is the case almost certainly not the last one. Hence your attempt to not answer the questions put to you by Lory and DTS still seem relevant. It also puts into question what weekenders you did attend in order to give your affirmative answer in the earlier post. Can you say clearly and unambiguously what weekenders you did attend in 2009.

    But where is the exponential improvement ?

    The schedule didn't show much improvement (or the reverse - They had 3 sets of external teachers at the the first event and 1 at the last). This set would have been at the first if it hadn't been for the date change.


    In the 'wonderful' era (at the same venue) you had four good size DJ'd freestyle venues, 3 sets of simultaneous classes all day with a half an hour break relevant music break between them, a high level of teacher experience, the teachers changed much more between weekends and just lots of diversity and variety in teaching, music, and styles.
    I also don't understand why you have this big hangup regarding external teachers. I would suggest to you the Ceroc teachers used at Southport were as good as any external teachers in relation to MJ and some are much better. You would have to look long and hard to find teachers of the quality of Debbie Attwood, Maja Hodall, Vicki McFarland and Marc and Rachel. I am not sure if Franck and Val and Dave taught but I ahve been taught by them and they are also top draw. I have noit named any of the other teachers as I ahve not been taught by them. I have only listed the ones I know and have been taught by.

    As regards the music I would agree that not having a Latin set at prime time in the Latin Room has reduced the choice. However at the last Southport there was a four hour Milonga (a bit to much in my opinion). This reduced significantly for me the the loss of a Latin set.

    Also at the last Southport, Tango was the themed dance. For this Ceroc brought in Jenny and Ricardo. IMO they are the best teaching couple for Tango in the UK and you can't do much better than that.

    If the fourth area regarding JA was the Marque then opinions differ on that score. I always thought that the latin session at JA Southports were to long and they should have been shortened and used the time for Tango and WCS sessions. That meant you you needed three dance areas anyway.

    Given Ceroc don't appear to have done much in these areas I struggle to see what improvements they may have made which don't pale into insignificance by comparison
    You seem to base your judgement of weekenders mainly on the learning experience. As I have said earlier in this thread the workshops on weekenders generally (both Ceroc and JA) are the main a weak spot as they do not offer more experienced dancers very much. I am going to be a little personal here and I apologise in advance but I think it is a relevant comment.

    You have been a member of this Forum since March 2003. That means you have been dancing for at least six years. Which is two years longer than me. Why on earth are the workshops at weekenders important to you?

    This leads me to think that you hardly ever attend a weekender. The comments you make are what a person would say who gets the literature, analyses it and then makes comments just like a statistition. Because you can get that information from the literature, you can only get the rest of a weekender by attending.

    You also mention that JA did three workshop streams and Ceroc only did two. However you have excluded the masterclass workshop stream by Ceroc. I would suggest to you that this would have significantly improved the learning experience for those attendees due to smaller class sizes. I would also say that it was much easier to arrange a private lesson with Ceroc due to the weather centre. Again improving the learning experience.


    The reason for my statement about expotentual improvement is as follows:

    1 My personal enjoyment has increased each time I went
    2 More of my favourite dancers attended each time. IMO the JA fiasco, which was fuelled by JA as I have said on that thread severely damaged the first weekender but this damage has been reducing more and more each with each new Southport.
    3 The administration at the Ceroc weekenders is now tip top
    4 The outside dancing was available in May and October.
    5 The igloo provided a practise area during the day and I used this extensively.

  18. 2 'Thanks':

    Lory (27th-November-2009), Tiggerbabe (24th-November-2009)

  19. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    I will tell you what weekender's are about for me pips, camber in the chill out /blues room.

    Zebra woman on the deck Puddy Tat in my arms on the hallowed wooden floor. The mood was electric Zebra woman had just put 3 tracks of sfunk on because it was Batgirls birthday , because Zebra woman is lovely and she can, bless her.

    Ssingle bed come slithering out of the speakers and Puddy Tat enveloped me and we moved as one surrendering ourselves to the music. Batgirl was wrapped around Miguel and the world seemed to pause in it's track for a few minutes .

    Let me try to explain the feeling that I experience during one of my in the zone dances, cut me a bit of slack here because it may go to a bag of rat sh1t, or it may not.

    I see no one but my dance partner, I hear nothing but the music. we move as one. The magic, or zone starts as a burning, tingling feeling at the base of my spine creeping upwards into my stomach and exploding like a hundred Butterflies, still travelling upwards my heart racing and the feeling in my neck is like a, (excuse the description coming), really satisfying bowel movement when liquid warmth flows up your spine and over your head into the back of your eyes.

    I feel warm, safe, secure and homely. Each breath is metalic tasting because endormorphins and adrenaline are being dumped into my system. I am light on my feet, raising up onto the balls of my feet and my partner and I meld into one perfect unison of dancing enjoyment. I feel close and intimate with my dancing partner. (As intimate as I can feel with another person, without being unfaithful, in any way to my Batgirl).

    Each move is natural and not thought about, everything just flows and flows and flows, at the end I thank Puddy Tat and walk over to the Bat and say, dance of the weekend that was for me babe. Batgirl is happy that I have hit the zone and am enjoying myself, she is secure knowing that I have just experienced closeness with a friend that few people ever get to experience outside of a relationship.

    I get these kind dances over and over, to various degrees, on weekender's. Raphael and I gave one of these dances to Twirly at camber, we totally immersed ourselves in her for a dance, and she glowed throught the dance.

    You can pontificate and use fancy phrases about dancing at weekender's, but if you get it, you really get it. If you don't get it, you are missing something magical.

    Sometimes when I dance I get as close and intimate, in a non sexual way, to my dance partner as I am to my lover Batgirl.

    That's what it is all about. Nothing fancy just dancing on the weekender's, waiting for the magic to appear.

    DTS XXX XXX

  20. #117
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Non topic loose end
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I hear what you say ...

    Firstly, I would suggest it was as obvious to you as it was to me that DTS was asking if you had been on any of the wekenders you had commented on. Otherwise what relevance would the question have had in the debate you were taking part in.

    Secondly, ....

    Thirdly, ..

    Fourthly the ...

    ...it just proves my point anyway ....
    I was answering DTS's 'still' question only in passing.

    It wasn't the point of my post. Rather DTS's question was framing my post.

    The point related to DTS's asking why us "anti-Ceroc" people went to Ceroc weekenders. I thought that was extremely rich given Ceroc has mostly removed any alternative (for next year). Incidentally this is why 'Firstly' is wrong.

    You asked as it wasn't clear to you. I clarified as requested. That's it.

  21. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Frodo! Frodo!! Frodo!!! Mate just dance and enjoy yourself, one day we will all be dead.

    In the short time we have left persue the zone and the golden dances, stop talking and get dancing. Stop trying to work out life and just grab life by the throat, French kiss it, shove your hand up it's skirt and see if her growler bites you. If it does bite the fuc*er back.


    DTS XXX XXX

  22. #119
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Weekenders - What's all the fuss about (On topic -relative merits to OP's experience)

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    In my opinion Skegness has a number of major issues that are not relevant to Ceroc Weekenders. ... ... Taking the above into account how can you possibally say that Skegness is better than the Ceroc 2009 weekenders. I would appreciate you giving your reasons.
    No problem. It is rather nice to talk about something on it's merits. Thank you for your list.

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    These issues in order of importance to me are:
    1 Not having use of the main dance venue until 11:30 pm. Not only is this a problem in itself, it also creates a disjointed evening every evening.
    I don't see this as a huge issue. At Southport it doesn't get going that much before that time, and the blues and latin rooms are bigger than Skegness. It can be nice not having so much empty space early in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    2 The venues are not under the same roof
    This is also true at Breeze, where the distance between venues looks greater. Granted the Southport arrangement of rooms under the same roof is preferable. Compared to Camber I believe 3 good sized freestyle rooms playing different music or styles, even if not under the same roof is preferable to having only 2 in total.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    3 There is no opportunity of outside dancing
    While this is true, it isn't of great importance. Outside Southport June it is hit and miss at Ceroc weekenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    4 The dance floors laid by JA were of very poor quality
    For the main room agreed, the floor wasn't nearly as good as at Southport. But I think for the other rooms the floor/floor layout is preferable at Skegness
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    5 The better quality accommodation is a 15 minute walk to the dance venues or you get accommodation close to the venue that is worse than the acccommodation at any of the Ceroc venues
    I'm extremely surprised you think this. The very idea of expecting better accomodation at Pontins . I think the standard accommodation is plenty good enough. I don't think it is something that needs gritting your teeth and putting up with, such as Southport.

    On the location of better quality accomodation there is also very good quality accomodation nearby to the south of the dance areas. Granted I don't think you've been able to specify the location when booking, which would be desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    6 You share the site with non dancers
    I don't see as necessarily bad. Given the nature of the site the demographic tends to be parents and young children. In a way not having dancers everywhere makes for a less claustrophic weekend.


    A few other things that come to mind:-
    • Still better teachers/workshops and greater variety. *

    • Better cabarets (as a consequence).

    • Greater variety in music. *

    • The teaching areas are far better shaped for that purpose than those at Southport.

    • There is a decent amount of relevant freestyle between classes.

    • Butlins staff are incomparably better.

    • The on site facilities are far better.


    * Kept brief, as if I get to respond to your following post that would go into detail.

  23. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about (On topic -relative merits to OP's experie

    Will you two please pack it in my brain is starting to run out of my nose and ears.

    I can't take much more of this. IS IT ME?

    DTS XXX XXX

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The end of Gender balance at weekenders ?
    By stewart38 in forum Let's talk about dance
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 25th-June-2009, 06:33 PM
  2. Comprehensive calendar of weekenders for 2009
    By Lory in forum Social events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th-January-2009, 01:38 PM
  3. Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !
    By Laughalot Bear in forum Social events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 30th-November-2008, 02:52 AM
  4. Alternative weekenders?
    By Lory in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th-June-2007, 12:26 PM
  5. Weekenders (when the fun stops)
    By stewart38 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th-April-2006, 10:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •