Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 129

Thread: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waltham abbey
    Posts
    4,610
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked 354 Times in 206 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Tired? Tired????


    And that repeated ten to twelve times a year. And, in most cases, not being noticed or thanked for it. But hoping it's worth it and appreciated.


    Rachel
    OMG - talk about asking for compliments.... hint hint

    you and Marc are without doubt one of the nicest couples in the danceworld that are not only brill dancers and fab DJ's but also always take the time and extra effort to chat to everybody and always make them feel welcome. We have moved house further away from you and most people now and find it hard to get to you but i wish we could get to you more often cause we love love love your work and your company....

    mucho respecto. xxxxx

    you can pay me later Rach xxxxx

  2. Thanks:

    Rachel (19th-November-2009)

  3. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked 145 Times in 114 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    What I look for in no particular order:

    • Classes on interesting and varied topics, with the Best Teachers in each area
    • The Best DJs
    • Basic accomodation - I only need a roof, warmth, somewhere to sleep, eat and wash.
    • Baking
    • Socialising
    • The Best Freestyle Dancing with friends old, new and not met yet.
    • Blues room open ALL weekend




    Cheers WT
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I love the way you've got baking and socialising above the freestyle dancing look forward to trying it at the weekend!
    Oi Cheeky ! You missed out the 1st Line

    *Writes Twirly down as getting no brownies or biscuits at the Freestyles* Dont Worry Beo, you can have as many as you like

    If I was particular about the order, Blues room opening hours would be much higher too

    WT
    Last edited by whitetiger1518; 19th-November-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: more points

  4. #83
    Papa Smurf
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Scathe
    Posts
    12,528
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 573 Times in 379 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Well it will not be DS as he has a lot of moral fibre about him, I bet it's someone who hasn't the balls to enter into a discussion with a bit of banter.
    Well that depends ...was it "quoting everything? why not just kill kittens too" which is part of my standard policy to neg rep anyone who quotes an entire post with a mere few words of reply. Nothing to do with the content of the reply to the fully-quoted post whatsoever, which I had no problem with at all

    I'd make it up to you if I felt rep was in some way important.

  5. #84
    Registered User emmylou25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Banbury
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 104 Times in 75 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    There are two sets of people..

    Group A, go on a weekender, with the expectancy of 'learning' and the 'emphasis' for them, will be focused on the workshops and their personal development

    Group B, go primarily for the social dance aspect and may not even do any workshops at all.

    Now, I understand, if your in A, your needs are very different to those of us in group B and you may have some very valid points.

    I have a small question for those who fall into group A... what's your 'end objective'?
    This is quite interesting - I kind of fall into the 2.

    I want to be the best dancer I possibly can (again I'm a social dancer not performer/competitor) and in terms of my development I want to learn different things & styles from teachers that I wouldn't be able to access normally - in weekender classes this is usually moves, although I also want to try different dance styles (so more WCS, tasters of other styles). However on the MJ side I don't usually find the classes much of a challenge - more a bit of fun and something to practise when we get home again. I also use the classes to check out the dance talent for the freestyles afterwards: who to avoid - lechy (sp.), yankers, smelly etc; and who to ask later.

    I think if i freestyled more in the day time at weekenders I would be bored of it by evening and so would dance less, whereas I still get that 'learning environment' which tells my brain i'm learning something (even if it doesn't really sink in fully until later).

    I don't view the social dancing part as a learning experience, although I think there's a lot I end up taking away from it, mainly because I aim to dance with as many people as possible, especially those who I aspire to dance with. In the main room i get the buzz from dancing with 'the elite in the corner', and in the blues room just discovering that it's less scary than many of us think, getting to practise my WCS and blues, and discovering new music.

    I'm a bit antisocial when I'm dancing. I might be on the forum but am not part of the group here, so i know a few people to say hi to, but not necessarily to socialise with. I very rarely end up asking people's names when I'm dancing with them, so never know who's a forumite and who's not. My socialising is usually off the dance floor with chalet mates or other people who I know are there. Should make more of an effort really!

  6. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    OMG - talk about asking for compliments.... hint hint ....
    I know, I know - shameless, huh? Sorry! But I am feeling particularly warm and loved right now -thank you all for your lovely messages.

    Really, I do know that people appreciate all the behind the scenes work that everyone does. (Christ, I'm just glad we don't have to lay flooring - we tried that once, once was enough! - or set up the stages, as many do.)

    It is soooo worth all the effort that goes into weekenders, and we wouldn't do it if it wasn't so much fun. I just occasionally think it would be nice to experience a Ceroc weekender as a customer, you know? But I'd never get Marc to stop twiddling with the sound system or lights ...

    Oh, and re. my other post - No, naughty boys, I don't know where all the boobs have gone!

    R x

  7. #86
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    learning how to comfortably dance blues with other women without worrying 'but where do all the boobs go??' .
    Mine have a life of their own, I haven't a clue where they go but they do seem to have a good time
    Last edited by Lory; 19th-November-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: there their there their Grrr
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  8. Thanks:

    DundeeDancer (20th-November-2009)

  9. #87
    Papa Smurf
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Scathe
    Posts
    12,528
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 573 Times in 379 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Mine have a life of there own, I haven't a clue where they go but they do seem to have a good time
    we'll keep on eye on them for you

  10. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    DTS. If you're going to post some of this stuff - would it be too much to ask for you to put a little thought and care into what you say?


    So ... in no uncertain terms, you named five of us as "constant Ceroc bashers", and an "elite gang of constant whingers" (and implied DS was in the same group)

    This is very much at odds with this statement.

    Since you've gone this far, and seem keen to continue along these lines, would you mind clearing things up? Which of these groups do you consider us to be in, and why?

    Ok stray baby I put you in the Elite dancer's group until you explained your motives, I can not fault your reasoning on that, so classify yourself wherever you want.

    ************

    ***** , Ceroc Basher, *****, Ceroc basher, but he knows my opinion on this anyway, however***** has buckets of Moral Fibre and will have my respect as someone who fights his corner with wit and humour, except where Rocky is concerned, but that issue has been dealt with elsewhere. Which leaves ****** x 3 who's secretly in love with Rocky and constantly having a pop at him at every chance, spurned women and all that.

    Hope that's clear enough for you Straycat, all the above is just my opinion, said on an open Forum with no hidden agenda.

    I shouldn't really post this but what the hell it is my opinion, rightly or wrongly.

    Again I say if anyone feels the need the rep me have the moral fibre to include your name and not be a underhand spineless coward.
    Love you all.

    DTS XXX XXX The Horror the Horror The Horror
    Last edited by Lory; 19th-November-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Naming and Shaming Rules!

  11. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Ok pips I am getting over excited here, been told to behave so will comply.

    DTS XXX XXX The Horror The Horror the Horror

  12. Thanks:

    Lory (19th-November-2009)

  13. #90
    Registered User martingold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 270 Times in 188 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    OMG - talk about asking for compliments.... hint hint
    but as you say bellow so rightly deserved compliments
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    you and Marc are without doubt one of the nicest couples in the danceworld that are not only brill dancers and fab DJ's but also always take the time and extra effort to chat to everybody and always make them feel welcome.

    mucho respecto. xxxxx
    i could not agree with this more
    I say marc and rachel should be in the hall of fame for their unceasing hard work to make us all happy on the dance floor

  14. Thanks:

    Rachel (20th-November-2009)

  15. #91
    Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    6,159
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 320 Times in 162 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Which leaves ****** x 3 who's secretly in love with Rocky and constantly having a pop at him at every chance, spurned women and all that.
    I have a pop at Rocky because of his bully boy tactics, not because he's anythng to do with Ceroc. Oh yes, also because I love him and want his babies, naturally. (I'm hoping that'll give him nightmares for months! )
    Hope that's clear enough for you Straycat, all the above is just my opinion, said on an open Forum with no hidden agenda.
    You've not worked for them in any capacity then?

  16. Thanks:

    dave the scaffolder (19th-November-2009)

  17. #92
    Registered User Nessiemonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 53 Times in 45 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    The first weekender I ever did was a salsa one at Brean. Four of us shared a one-bed chalet, and I had an awesome time! I didn't know anyone other than the few from my local class in Derby but loved the workshops and the freestyles.

    The second weekender I did was the first Kirriemuir intimate and great (and they just got better and better - loved our dances at the blues weekend CRM, but you know that already )

    Then I did JA Southport. I've done three of them, and not really enjoyed any of them. Partly due to tiredness - Inverness is miles from all the weekenders, and is about a 8-9 hour drive to Southport. But my overall experience of JA Southport was that it would be great if you were part of the right cliques. I wasn't. I had a few good dances in the blues room (where I prefer to be), but for the most part experienced poor floorcraft from my partners and got yanked around. It puts you off asking for dances when you keep getting hurt. I experienced very little of the magic that I'd heard raved about on here - maybe that was part of the problem for me - it was hyped so much I had such high expectations. And I expected 24 hour dancing. But I'm a morning person - my body won't do 6am finishes, however much I might like it to. There was pretty much no dancing when I would've happily danced at 11am. And I very much felt that I couldn't be that great a dancer if I didn't want to stay up until daft o'clock in the morning to dance (but maybe that was just an unfortunate vibe I got from being with a set of people who were in to that).

    I've also been to all the Blaze weekenders, which I really enjoyed. A lot. Even when I was injured and couldn't dance much. Maybe that's because I knew more people, but I still had great dances with people I didn't know, and felt much more in the zone.

    I don't think that's about JA vs Ceroc, I think it helped that I went to the first Blaze - no hype. I made of it what I wanted to with no preconceived ideas.

    Of course it's possible that there were cliques at Blaze too, but that I didn't notice because, being 'local', I was part of them. But I hope that wasn't the case.

    So honestly, CRM, sometimes I don't know what the fuss is about. Perhaps I just prefer smaller, more intimate weekenders. So far the huge ones haven't been great for me. Except the salsa one, so who knows what that's about.

    I'm sure what some on here say is right, the more you go the more you meet people and therefore the better time you have. I'm just not yet sure that I want to use that much of my holiday and money finding out...

    Okay, I realise I'll probably get loads of neg rep for all this, but hey, it's just my opinion - you can take it or leave it.

  18. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 88 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    When you read a lot of the posts on here and people are enthusing about the fabulous dance they had with whoever, it can make the less accomplished dancers amongst us(me included) feel somewhat intimidated and inadequate.
    Being on this forum makes you feel part of a big group of friends but that feeling of inadequacy when it comes down to dancing has a tendancy to hold you back.
    Oh I know what you are going to say,'I never refuse' or 'I will dance with anyone' but I think I know where CRB is coming from.Unless you are part of the 'elite' dancing 'clique'(gang) you dont feel that you fit in.
    I only use the words elite and clique to describe the travelling CS weekender group and not in any way meant to offend.

  19. #94
    Registered User Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    8,925
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 251 Times in 175 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    I like the 'big' weekenders because there are so many people there. Yes there can be an inner circle - but by its very nature it tends to be small in comparison to the total number of people - which means there are lots and lots of other people who aren't the 'in' crowd to go and dance with!

    When I went on weekenders I didn't know about 'groups' and 'cliques' - I just went and danced with lots of new people.

    I agree that weekenders aren't for everyone. For me though the thing that would ruin a weekender isn't who I do/don't dance with, but what the music is like. It has to offer me something more than just an extra long freestyle. Fortunately there are some fab DJs out there, at both independent and Ceroc weekenders.

  20. #95
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Being on this forum makes you feel part of a big group of friends but that feeling of inadequacy when it comes down to dancing has a tendancy to hold you back.
    Oh I know what you are going to say,'I never refuse' or 'I will dance with anyone' but I think I know where CRB is coming from.
    This saddens me..

    .. can you suggest anything 'we' can do, to make it any easier?

    I know myself, when I'm having an 'off' day and my confidence is low for whatever reason, I immediately 'assume' that nobody would want to dance with me so, to protect myself from the inevitable rejection, which (in my head) is bound to happen, subconsciously I put the barriers up, which unfortunately always ends in a self-fulfilling prophecy
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  21. #96
    Registered User ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Borehamwood, Herts
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Ceroc have sadly eliminated the option to take your sage advice while still attending weekenders*, so (among other reasons) the answer is probably yes.
    Frodo what does probabally mean. Either you attended Ceroc weekenders as specified by you or you didn't. The only inference I could draw from probabally is you were spaced out of your head in some way at the time of each Ceroc weekender and I am pretty sure that is not right.
    I don't think that would help much. It is relatively objective, if not unbounded by experience.
    I think the reason you were asked the question was because it was relevant. For instance during the course of this year IMO the Southport weekenders have improved expotentually each time. So if you attended the first one your experience would have been different to the last one


    Originally Posted by Cheesy Rob Man
    maybe the problem's just me.
    Originally Posted by frodo
    Not you.
    I would agree with your answer but based upon the next part of your post it appears you are putting the Skegness weekenders (Posted by CheesyRobMan - the only "big" weekender I've been on, Skegness in June) in the same category as the 2009 Ceroc weekenders. In view of the problems associated with Skegness as a venue I don't think this is correct and is very misleading for CheesyRobMan.

    Was the vague nature of your post associated with this misleading impression?

  22. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 88 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    This saddens me..

    .. can you suggest anything 'we' can do, to make it any easier?

    :
    Not really because the answer is for us less accomplished dancers to improve,but by the very nature of the posts on this forum we feel at a disadvantage.
    You can constantly read on here of people who go to freetyles or weekenders to 'meet the best dancers','get a more challenging dance','dance with the teacher' etc.Now whether or not that is the intention, they are telling me that they aren't really interested in dancing with the less accomplished amongst us.


    I know myself, when I'm having an 'off' day and my confidence is low for whatever reason, I immediately 'assume' that nobody would want to dance with me so, to protect myself from the inevitable rejection, which (in my head) is bound to happen, subconsciously I put the barriers up, which unfortunately always ends in a self-fulfilling prophecy...

    Come on Lory,with all due respect,you could never have an off day as far as dance goes.You may be feeling down and low but you would never be without a willing partner and I dont think that you really believe that if you are perfectly honest.
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-November-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

  23. #98
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Come on Lory,with all due respect,you could never have an off day as far as dance goes.You may be feeling down and low but you would never be without a willing partner and I dont think that you really believe that if you are perfectly honest.
    I think this is probably a subject for another thread but..

    You may be right in the technical sense, my feet will keep in time and my body will respond to the lead on autopilot but you can't separate how you feel inside, from how it affects your dancing (well I can't a least)

    When my Mum was diagnosed with Cancer earlier this year, I was completely and utterly devastated and used dance as a form of escapism. But sometimes, no matter how hard I tried, I just didn't 'feel it'

    Now, from the outside, yes, I was probably OK to dance with but those people who know me well, the people I dance with regularly will have noticed I 'felt different'

    Looking back, I know I didn't have that spark or the emotional energy to give anything back to my partners, it was an act of pure selfishness on my part. I 'took' but gave nothing back (a huge thank you to those partners I took from at the time. I hope I'm gradually repaying you )

    Lots of people do this, I call them 'fun suckers' and it doesn't matter how technically good they are, one comes away from the dance feeling 'drained' and confused. "Why do 'I' feel so bad, when the dance was OK "

    Other people, give off 'good vibes' it doesn't matter if it all goes horribly wrong, who cares, we're having fun and you walk away feeling like a million dollars!

    So, I know this was a long winded answer but to sum it up.... How I feel inside, is what 'really' matters!
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-November-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  24. 2 'Thanks':

    DundeeDancer (20th-November-2009), locoman (21st-November-2009)

  25. #99
    Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    6,159
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 320 Times in 162 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    You may be right in the technical sense, my feet will keep in time and my body will respond to the lead on autopilot but you can't separate how you feel inside, from how it affects your dancing (well I can't a least)....I used dance as a form of escapism. But sometimes, no matter how hard I tried, I just didn't 'feel it'....
    I've really cut down on my dancing due to this 'feeling it' being harder to achieve than in the past.


    Lots of people do this, I call them 'fun suckers' and it doesn't matter how technically good they are, one comes away from the dance feeling 'drained' and confused. "Why do 'I' feel so bad, when the dance was OK "
    I hadn't really thought of this! I feel I've probably been doing this to my partners over the last year or so without realising it. I've had a very emotional year and not been my usual happy self so I apologise to any of my dance partners that have had this experience with me!
    I've asked Santa for a box of good vibes, to replace the ones I lost.

  26. 2 'Thanks':

    Lory (20th-November-2009), whitetiger1518 (24th-November-2009)

  27. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,795
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 474 Times in 238 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post



    I hadn't really thought of this! I feel I've probably been doing this to my partners over the last year or so without realising it. I've had a very emotional year and not been my usual happy self so I apologise to any of my dance partners that have had this experience with me!
    I've asked Santa for a box of good vibes, to replace the ones I lost.
    Cru baby I allways find it a pleasure to dance mit you. Guess who's in a better mood today?

    DTS XXX XXX

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The end of Gender balance at weekenders ?
    By stewart38 in forum Let's talk about dance
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 25th-June-2009, 06:33 PM
  2. Comprehensive calendar of weekenders for 2009
    By Lory in forum Social events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th-January-2009, 01:38 PM
  3. Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !
    By Laughalot Bear in forum Social events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 30th-November-2008, 02:52 AM
  4. Alternative weekenders?
    By Lory in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th-June-2007, 12:26 PM
  5. Weekenders (when the fun stops)
    By stewart38 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th-April-2006, 10:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •