Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Weekenders - What's all the fuss about??

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I am, however, surprised to find myself branded as a Ceroc basher. I have no problems with Ceroc as an organisation. I still attend, and enjoy Ceroc nights and freestyles. I regard the Ceroc formula as an impressive one, and I'll always be grateful for the fact that it got me into dancing in the first place, and I've said as much on this forum before. Sure - I have some reservations, but that's true of most things.

I regard myself as a social dancer. I don't compete. I rarely perform, and in general, I prefer not to. I teach, yes, but what I teach, preach, live and breathe is dancing for fun. I simply want to be the best social dancer that I possibly can be. The fact that you and I look at things differently does not mean that I am not a social dancer.
    !
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Some of the other 11 include, my opinion only mind pips, Frodo, Straycat, Cruella, David Franklin to name a few.
    Ooh, I'm one of the eleven! That's nearly as good as being one of the '10' surely? (The veterans will know what I'm talking about )

I think you should back up your opinion with evidence Dave.
    I'm a Rocky basher, not a Ceroc basher and as he tells us he isn't a spokesman for Ceroc then how do you make the connection? I've been on many more Ceroc weekenders than independant weekenders and have had some brilliant times. As I said in my post earlier,
    Reviews on weekenders can be taken with a pinch of salt as most things that make or break a weekender for the 'author' are out of the organisers control. All they can do is supply the best music (even this is down to each person's personal taste), floor, workshops, accommodation, and non dancing activities possible. The rest is up to you!
    I can be pro independant, that doesn't make me anti Ceroc.

Yes you do. This is in reply to Lory!!!!

Lets be clear here pips ceroc bashers and Elite dancers may be differing groups of prople, there may a couple of people who qualify for both groups.

I am sharpening sticks at home at the mo.

DTS XXX XX The Horror The Horror The Horror

I have always enjoyed the weekenders I have attended. Sure the accomodation is not great but it is OK, the workshops can be improved upon by having some on offer with a more innovative and/or greater technical content but other than that there is very little you can say that is bad. For people that have mentioned a first bad experience because of a Skegness weekender IMO that venue is not representative of current Ceroc weekenders due to various specific problems applicable to that venue only and if they can should try a Ceroc weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    However... as time has gone on, my dancing has changed, and my needs have changed. I want to improve. I need to improve. And there's a limit to how much I can do that purely by social dancing - so I seek out the best possible environments to suit my own learning.
    DTS, IMO the above applies to most of the people you considered "elite dancers" and to others that you did not name as such. I think that as we get into MJ we look to develope our dancing in different ways.

Some develope themselves via a Ceroc route:

1 Learn to gender swap dance roles, like yourself
    2 Develope double trouble, tagging skills etc
    3 Compete in MJ competitions

Where your deveopment is along those lines then what you learn at a weekender may still be considered useful.

However other people develope by taking up other dance forms and when this happens the learning experience at a MJ weekender does reduce in importance. It does not mean those people consider themselves eltie dancers but they have found a different route to develope.

Some people tend to knock Ceroc weekenders with specific reference to the workshops on offer and compare their workshops to JA for instance. I believe the conclusions of the comparison between Ceroc and JA is overstated but I think they do have a point with regard to the mix of weekender workshops generally, Ceroc and JA.

But I think times are changing in this regard as far as Ceroc is concerned. For instance:
    1 I noticed the programme for the last Southport had a questionaire about workshops which was obviously intended to try and tailor the workshops on offer to peoples requirements.
    2 I was at the Ceroc Medfest and some of the workshops there were far more innovative than I have experienced to date.
    3 I believe the influence of other dances especially WCS are beginning to affect the learning experience both from the point of view of teacher knowledge and pupil needs

The upshot is I think you being a bit unfair in your views where people have a reasonable view on weekenders in relation to the learning experience. It does not make them elite dancers, it is just that they have developed their dancing in a different way to yourself.

Love and kisses to Batgirl.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Yes you do. This is in reply to Lory!!!!

Lets be clear here pips ceroc bashers and Elite dancers may be differing groups of prople, there may a couple of people who qualify for both groups.

I am sharpening sticks at home at the mo.

DTS XXX XX The Horror The Horror The Horror
    That's a cop out, I'm obviously not an elite dancer, we've danced many a time So by the process of elimination that means you are saying i'm a Ceroc basher. Show me the evidence.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    The upshot is I think you being a bit unfair in your views where people have a reasonable view on weekenders in relation to the learning experience. It does not make them elite dancers, it is just that they have developed their dancing in a different way to yourself.
    Well said. I think its apparant that the only apparant "snob" in all of this is DTS himself The irony, the irony, the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well said. I think its apparant that the only apparant "snob" in all of this is DTS himself The irony, the irony, the irony.
    Snob Sir!!! Me Sir!!!! How the hell can I be a snob, I have lowered my dancing to dance with Cruella on many an occassion.

It's all exciting tho aint it pips.

Ant I totally agree with you mate.

DTS XXX XXX The Horror The Irony The Horror
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 19th-November-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    However other people develope by taking up other dance forms and when this happens the learning experience at a MJ weekender does reduce in importance.
    This is very true in my case!

I think i'm beginning to see a picture emerging..

There are two sets of people..

Group A, go on a weekender, with the expectancy of 'learning' and the 'emphasis' for them, will be focused on the workshops and their personal development

Group B, go primarily for the social dance aspect and may not even do any workshops at all.

Now, I understand, if your in A, your needs are very different to those of us in group B and you may have some very valid points.

I have a small question for those who fall into group A... what's your 'end objective'?

Mine, as StrayCat said, is to be the best 'social dancer' I can be and I know, for 'me' I can't learn that from a workshop, no matter who's teaching
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    This is very true in my case!

I think i'm beginning to see a picture emerging..

mmmmmm - a picture of what !!! ooops mind a wandering again...

Anyway, yes your right. When i went the first time with sis and a gang of girls, we must have tried to fit in dancing lessons all day, we were exhausted by 12.00 midnight and didn't do any late dancing.

The thing that actually got us into the "FAMILY" as ive seen it discussed, is this Forum. If it wasn't for this forum and spin dryer introduced us to it, i would not have known half of what i know now about weekenders and whats on and who is who... etc etc.

So respects to the forum and all who sail in her.

....If you feel the need to neg/pos rep me include your name, if you have the moral fibre that is. xxx
    Just got a stroppy negative rep without them leaving a name

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    ...Oh yes - going on a weekender tired is never a good idea. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post

That's pretty much why I didn't enjoy Skegness, along with being dog-tired the whole weekend, unable to sleep well in the grotty chalet, and consequently dancing like an idiot and getting pitying looks from embarrassed partners who couldn't wait to let go of my hand and escape.
    Tired? Tired????

Try:
    Wed night - up late packing

Thurs - work all day, Marc teaching his evening class, then sorting out music, equipment, doing the final food packing. Setting off late, sometimes gone 3am, to get to the weekender, ready for early Friday morning.

Fri all day - setting up the blues room - music equipment, lights, fans, etc - and possibly tango room/other areas. Trying to find somewhere quiet to come up with the classes. Going through music, checking laptops, etc. Night time dj sets.

Sat - finalising classes, getting them filmed them for the dvd. Teaching classes, occasionally giving private lessons, late night dj slots - sometimes an extra long session if it's the last one of the night. If there's a tango milonga at Camber, we're boiling kettles and laying out tea, coffee and biscuits (when I'd really rather be dancing! Thanks, Marc, for suggesting that would be a good idea ).

Sunday - teaching workshops/classes, doing dj sets again. Teas/coffees in the milonga. Start to take down the milonga room when that's finished.

Monday morning - Marc dj'ing the last set of the weekend & the two of us, alone, packing away the blues room to put into the van. Trying to find bits of equipment which have mysteriously been borrowed and scattered round the venue. Back to chalet at about 9/10am to pack away there. A little sleep (sometimes only half an hour before they start knocking on the door to get us to leave). Driving home and, in Marc case, half an hour's break before driving off to do his Buckingham class.

On top of which, I've been having to take 'work' work with me, as I can't get the Fridays as holiday, so I'm trying to squeeze that in over the weekend, or feeling horribly guilty if I'm not getting round to it.

And then, of course trying to do some dancing in the bits when I'm not working and not too exhausted …

Finally Tuesday - back to work as usual.

And that repeated ten to twelve times a year. And, in most cases, not being noticed or thanked for it. But hoping it's worth it and appreciated.

That's what I call tired!

And as for getting rested before/after the weekend - it's really just not possible.

But it IS still possible to have a brilliant weekend, even if you're so shattered you don't even know who you are or where you are any more. Honestly! I think the enthusiasm and excitement of everyone else around you kind of carries you through it ... In fact, my favourite time of a weekender is Friday afternoon when the buzz and anticipation of all the people arriving just fill the air - fantastic!

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    Just got a stroppy negative rep without them leaving a name
    Bunch of slack jawed, Ceroc bashing, elite dancers with no moral fibre.

Well it will not be DS as he has a lot of moral fibre about him, I bet it's someone who hasn't the balls to enter into a discussion with a bit of banter. Not Cruella's style either, she will stand up to you and tell you what she thinks and can do banter with the best of them. Stone me I am complimentint DS and Cruella here pips.

Divna worry mate I shall send you a positive rep to make up for it.

DTS XXX XXX The Horror The horror The Horror
    Last edited by DavidY; 22nd-November-2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Offensive language deleted

Group A, go on a weekender, with the expectancy of 'learning' and the 'emphasis' for them, will be focused on the workshops and their personal development

Group B, go primarily for the social dance aspect and may not even do any workshops at all.

Now, I understand, if your in A, your needs are very different to those of us in group B and you may have some very valid points.

I have a small question for those who fall into group A... what's your 'end objective'?
    My very first weekender, I wanted to do all of both - as many workshops as possible, as well as as much social dancing as I could. I quickly learnt I wasn't able to do that!

I guess now, the social dancing side is far more important but I do know that I unwittingly come away from every single weekender having learnt something new, or improved something a tiny bit.

Sometimes, it's as trivial (if you can call it that!) as learning how to comfortably dance blues with other women without worrying 'but where do all the boobs go??' .

This time was my 'learning how to dance funky' weekend. I may not be there yet but I'm sure there's a slight difference in my dancing if you look hard enough!

R. x

Marcus I got one now as well, Bless em. DTS The horror The horror The Horror XXX XXX

Marcus I got one now as well, Bless em. DTS The horror The horror The Horror XXX XXX
    I just got another one as well, but it was a joke from a Forum friend !

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    And that repeated ten to twelve times a year. And, in most cases, not being noticed or thanked for it. But hoping it's worth it and appreciated.
    It is worth it and it is appreciated. But I've organised small events myself and been part of organising large events so I know how much preparation and sheer hard work there is in set up/organising/trouble shooting/clearing up.
    But it IS still possible to have a brilliant weekend, even if you're so shattered you don't even know who you are or where you are any more. Honestly! I think the enthusiasm and excitement of everyone else around you kind of carries you through it ... In fact, my favourite time of a weekender is Friday afternoon when the buzz and anticipation of all the people arriving just fill the air - fantastic!
    There can be a great pleasure in facilitating others having a good time, and seeing their enjoyment can lift you even when tired yourself.
    Last edited by Lynn; 19th-November-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Tired? Tired????

Try:
    Wed night - up late packing..........(lots of stuff)...........

Rachel

Commercial Operator

DTS. If you're going to post some of this stuff - would it be too much to ask for you to put a little thought and care into what you say?

There are about a dozen, or so, people on this Forum, who have forgotten that we are Social Dancers only. These constant Ceroc bashers seem to think that technically perfect dancing is the only thing that matters, anything less is just horrific and below them.

If you are one of this elite gang of constant whingers
    Some of the other 11 include, my opinion only mind pips, Frodo, Straycat, Cruella, David Franklin to name a few.
    So ... in no uncertain terms, you named five of us as "constant Ceroc bashers", and an "elite gang of constant whingers" (and implied DS was in the same group)

This is very much at odds with this statement.
    Since you've gone this far, and seem keen to continue along these lines, would you mind clearing things up? Which of these groups do you consider us to be in, and why?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And, in most cases, not being noticed or thanked for it.

But hoping it's worth it and appreciated.
    I don't know how to express how much I admire all your hard work and dedication, not just yours and Marc's but ALL the teachers, DJ's and behind the scenes crew

I'm just embarrassed I don't say it more!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Tired? Tired????
    Quite frankly, I have absolutely no idea how many teachers manage to keep going through these events, let along do such incredibly professional jobs. You all have my utmost respect for that.

Commercial Operator

Mine, as StrayCat said, is to be the best 'social dancer' I can be and I know, for 'me' I can't learn that from a workshop, no matter who's teaching
    Myself, I can't learn that purely from social dancing. The old adage "practice makes perfect" just doesn't hold true for me - it's more a case of "practice makes permanent". So I need the workshops and private lessons to keep myself going in the right direction, instead of constantly repeating and practicing my mistakes. More than that though - the more I learn, the more I become aware of that I still don't know. There's always something new just round the corner.

Thread Information