Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camber-the afterglow

Camber-the afterglow

It's two o'clock and no reports on Camber.Are you having a lock-in.
    I have been waiting since 8 o'clock for some news to trickle through.

Re: Camber-the afterglow

Am back home and knackered. It was fabulous!

Will write a full report shortly, but had a great time... though with the storms it really is a miracle that Pontins is still standing. I really think that they should swap the names around and have Storm in November. As someone commented to me whilst battling the winds and rain back to their chalet "it's typical Camber weather isn't it?!"

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've just got back in and Ditto to all what Twirly said!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've just got back in and Ditto to all what Twirly said!
    Ahhhhhhh Bliss!!!!!!

Just back and I feel poorly

all my own fault

some things don't change

off to work I will try and post tomorrow

I would just like to say, I have two wonderfull children they have unloaded the car and re loaded for me to go to work

Thought I’d do the good, bad, ugly thing, but in reverse as I prefer to finish on a high note. Pics are up on Facebook.

The Ugly
    The man who tried to pull my finger off whilst trying to multiple return me… I swear that if I hadn’t forcibly pulled my hand away he’d have broken my finger. I know it’s a nice engagement ring – but it’s mine, and you can’t rip my finger off to get at it! It was the only bad dance of the weekend. Another forumite got him straight after me and came off the floor looking equally irritated by her experience.

The Bad
    The queue to get in. “Arrived” at about 5.45 after a not particularly great journey, hungry and needing the loo only to have to queue for 30 minutes to get on site. Why And then when I did, there was nowhere to park near the main building to check in.

The weather. Managed to avoid the worst of it, but did get caught out walking back from the shop on Saturday and looked like a drowned rat in seconds. I had been planning on doing another class at 5, but by the time I’d got back, dried out and warmed up I couldn’t be bothered.

The damp chalet. Room smelt dreadful, and the bed and duvet felt clammy. Luckily I was tired enough to sleep despite this. Am now having to wash even the clothes that I didn’t wear as they smell funny.

The Sad
    Lots of missing regular faces. There were only a handful of people I knew, and I really missed seeing some folks whom I only ever see at weekenders.

Missing Beo…

The Confusing
    Being asked to dance… and led WCS. I don’t. Isn’t it obvious?! I also asked someone, and was promptly lead a fairly lively and complex WCS dance… isn’t the lack of footwork on my part, not to mention the look of confusion and abject terror on my face a giveaway? This seems to be happening more and more, and I don’t understand why the lead doesn’t just change to MJ when their follow clearly doesn’t know what she’s doing.

The Good
    Well being able to go in the first place! The chalet mates I inherited from Almost an Angel were lovely. Sociable, but not living in each other’s pockets.

Seeing folks I hadn’t seen in quite a while, being introduced to some new ones and having lots of laughs. Was particularly good to see DTS and Batgirl – and to see the Bat on such good form and having loads of fun. Though I have to say DTS, I don’t think that the “belly lead” is going to catch on!

I did three classes on the Saturday – one slotted jive, one smooth and the beginners tango. All were good, though very busy. One poor chap who had only been dancing six months was asking if it was always like that and said he was having trouble picking things up – he seemed a little disappointed. The gender balance wasn’t too bad, with a few women over in each one, but quite manageable and the rotations worked well. I was a bit bemused by one teacher who was obviously trying to drum up business for their class on the Sunday who said that it would be “beginner versions” of the moves they’d just taught… surely the classes should have been the other way round? I had planned to do some classes on Sunday, but realised that I was too tired and that my brain and feet were not on speaking terms…

I made a point of going to the daytime freestyles, and thoroughly enjoyed them, and the evenings were great too. Best weekend’s dancing I’ve had. I even managed to summon enough confidence and ask one particular lead to dance on Sunday afternoon whom I’ve been wanting to ask for ages, but who always seems busy. I spotted him on his own and not looking too exhausted. I had a lovely dance (even if I did make a few mistakes), and was even more pleased when he came and asked me in the evening.

I only ventured upstairs once, on Sunday evening. I’d heard that it was very packed and hot on both Friday and Saturday nights, so stuck with downstairs. It was fine when I went up on Sunday night, but the music was very thump-thump, and didn’t inspire me, so I retreated.

I don’t know if it was my attitude, but I found this weekender the friendliest I’ve been on at Camber. There seemed to be even more of a party feel than normal. There were a few hotshots around, but they didn’t dominate downstairs as they usually do. And yet it seemed much busier than usual, which was fantastic. I also got asked more than usual (though also got off my backside and asked). And I received some lovely compliments on my dancing too, which helped my confidence.

I thought that the white room just off the downstairs room was lovely – had a few dances in there.

Saturday night was particularly fantastic – I thought I’d died and gone to dance heaven when I was dancing with Raph and we were tagged by DTS… what more could a girl want?!

Roll on March and Storm (though some decent weather would be appreciated this time!)

Had a lovely weekend dispite the gale force winds and full on rain.

The good.
    DTS.
    Seeing the lovely forumites and friends xxx
    Diane's Mad Hatters Tea Party xxx
    My Birthday Cake from Locoman - The classiest ever - thanks.
    Zebra Womans Music - all of it but especially the s'funky bits xxx
    The White Room - just love it!

The Bad
    Damp Chalet - very damp, very very damp.
    Not enough day time dancing for me.
    Got stared at too much in the main room the few times I ventured up there with out a hat by rude people
    Very crowded upstairs but I suppose thats inevitable with 2000 people on site.
    Couldn't get it together on Saturday night - music was just not my cup of tea in either room until ZW came on by which time I was too knackered.
    Not getting to dance with some of my favourites -

The Ugly
    The queue of cars to get into the site.
    The weather but it is expected - always dreadful weather at camber!

This is the last time I will properly get to dance before my big operation on 1st December and I agree with Twirly - it really was a friendly weekender - so my thanks to all the friends who have wished me well for the next step of my treatment and thanks for making my birthday weekender a great one xxx

I will see you all at Storm (God willing) with my new boobs and flat stomach so save me a (gentle) dance as I won't be around for a while xxx

Rachel
    xxx

I had a fabulous time at Camber - great dancing and great people all having a brilliant time. Got to dance with several of my favourites, plus dances with a couple of people who remembered dancing with me some time before (hopefully for the right reason!).

Classes:
    I did quite a few classes, particular favourites were Karen & Glen's swapping/tag (lots of hysterics from the 4 in our quad), Adam's Advanced Jive (nice moves and a fun partner to work with), and Richard & Heather's Smooth new moves. I thought the class rotations worked more smoothly than usual, although the beginner's WCS class had extra women as well as one in each gap, so Paul started a very confusing 2 women to 1 man rotation for everyone which didn't always work.

Freestyle:
    Usually I mainly stay in the main room, but Friday I didn't really enjoy the music until gone midnight, so spent a lot more time in the blues room. Really enjoyed it - more friendly and open atmosphere, plus due to the ridiculous heat in the main room it was busier than I previously found, so was less daunting to ask for dances. Split my time over the rest of the weekend in both rooms - had some amazing dances up and downstairs, including getting in some good WCS practise.

Only downer for the freestyles was the music in the main room not being my taste until post midnight, and the heat. Although it was packed out (Mike Ellard had stated almost 2000 people in all), I didn't find floor craft was much issue either although finding space to dance until people started drifting off was a nightmare.

Cabaret
    Didn't rock my boat. Ceroc Nights performing their winning routine which I think is great, but have seen it 3 times now, and a Michael Jackson routine from the performance class. The latter was ok, and must have been the largest performance group I've ever seen at a weekender, but I just felt a bit disappointed by the overall cabaret.

Other
    Chalet buddies were fab as usual, plus the donated cheesecake from another chalet's 'cook' was much appreciated.

Chalet wise, we were impressed with the new electric shower which meant constant dribble of water instead of the annoying old versions, and we've always been lucky enough not to have smelly chalets. We were also as close as possible to the venue which was a bonus given the weather. We did have to get Pontins to provide us with the cutlery & crockery we were missing, but did forget to ask for them to fix the blown light bulb so we dined in semi-darkness each night.

Obviously the negatives are easy to remember, but the weekend was brilliant, and I can't wait to get back there in March for Storm.

Will try to stick to the usual good bad and ugly, but mostly will just write as it comes. OK, here goes:
    Good: Had trouble free journey there - Saturday morning, so missed Friday, but 2.5 hrs - quickest I've ever done! Fairly good journey back, too - the only hold up at the dartford - but that's just to be expected.
    Dancing in the pub both Saturday and Sunday - fun, fun, fun!
    Mad Hatters party - Diane, please, please, please have mercy and give me the recipe for that heavenly carrot cake - it was the yummiest piece of hellish sin I've ever tried! Loved Mel's hat made out of the scarf - good thinking girl!
    Tag on Sunday night - FABULOUS!!! Last hour was at the top of the world! Thanks to all, but Marc especially for getting everybody off their backsides and onto the floor!
    Bad: Didn't manage to catch either Steve or Jamie for a dance - where were you guys?
    Apartment - damp and smelly, yuk. Had water cascading on the INSIDE of the door with the heaviest rain... On the good note - there was a heater in the bathroom! On the bad note, it munched the remaining electricity to non-existence within minutes
    Ugly: Music on Saturday - wasn't impressed. 2 o'clock slot should have been on at 4 and vice versa. Came from upstairs expecting to be able to chill out and relax, and instead the music was catered to 15 hardcore fasters instead of 100+ slowers...
    Couple of french hotshots. Asked for a dance... Need a minute - reply. 20 secs later on the dancefloor with another hotshot.

Not my best weekender, but certainly not the worst one either. Saturday's letdown was redeemed by a very very good Sunday .

Bad Points

Chalets were very damp and after spending the entire night dancing and needing sleep felt really minging. I dont remember them being that bad last year??

Was it me or did the electric disappear super quick too? We had nothing on in our chalet but 2 quids worth seemed to go in less than a few hours.

I was an idiot on saturday night and fell over a step whilst running to the venue. I can be a plonker sometimes. Plus I didnt feel very well sunday morning and day time. Don't know why either....

Good Points

Everybody I met this year were really friendly and approachable. The people I squatted with were really lovely and up for a laugh. Im very grateful to be put up as it was quite last minute.

I didn't get even one bad dance the entire weekend, upstairs and down! It was nice to get a dance with a range pros and normal dancers. (though its sad that a lot of people think the dancers at the corner of stage are unapproachable ) Generally the music was good and I've already been on iTunes and downloaded a few tracks. Loved the music in the blues room!

I really enjoyed the last hour or 2 on monday with everyone buggering about tagging. Very entertaining and good fun! :-D

Summary

LOVED IT!

For me the week was

The bad, when I can think of any

The good, the Tango milonga on Saturday, great time, our challet meter was bust so free elecee all weekend, and I found 1 woman who thaught I was quite a good dancer
    The Ugly, some of the music upstairs was a bit naff, and although Rocky, the silver fox and Mark were great some of the music darnstairs was a bit slow ceroc, rather than "real" (can of worms) blues

Blog Entries

My Review ........
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

My Review ........
    Just brilliant Lory!!

Would however like to point out that although I was in the same sequence as the naked and scantiliy clad ladies they were in fact filmed at different times...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Would however like to point out that although I was in the same sequence as the naked and scantiliy clad ladies they were in fact filmed at different times...
    You know, I was quite surprised at how many offers of help I had to direct those scenes!

And you should see the 'out takes'

You know, I was quite surprised at how many offers of help I had to direct those scenes!

And you should see the 'out takes'
    Yes, I should see the out takes..

good - the fact that so many people I know were there. And a fair number of very enjoyable random dances. Breakfast on Monday was a great experience.
    bad - the oppressive heat in the main room. The cabaret wasn't worth closing the main room (the two acts were good, but was that it?). The music in the main room wasn't the best.
    ugly - a minor accident that has probably written off my car on the way there.

I had a great time, almost entirely due to the number of people there that I knew. The classes were the usual mix, with one or two I really enjoyed (Adam's slotted class on Saturday morning was great). The 'advanced' classes weren't - making an intermediate move longer doesn't make it technically any harder to dance, just a little harder to remember. It was curious to see how many of the classes were based on slotted or smooth dancing (in most cases, both). That was a noticeable difference from last year. The music was generally good in the blues room, although a lot of funk crept in to both rooms and a fair bit of R&B in the blues room (and, no, R&B is not blues, despite the 'B'). Upstairs, I was far less impressed with the music: too many monotonous remixes.

My Review ........
    OMG lory your the best

Agree on the main room music, I personally like chart music; She Wolf, Release Me, Down, 3, etc I enjoy, - but I found quite a lot the stuff played there really didn't inspire me.

Friday night was brilliant - very social, good dancing, mainly in the main room because that was were everyone I knew tended to hang out. Great to see so many from my local venues there, - apparently all the Surrey venues were pretty much empty this weekend.

Saturday night for me was "okay" - spoilt somewhat simple because I felt cream crackered from a very late friday night, not much sleep and lots of classes Sat daytime.

For me, Sunday night was by far the best night of dancing, spent mainly in the blues room, I had some wonderful dances, - so many good dancers in there, and the music was spot on.

A couple of quick forumite mentions, - nice to meet Fletch & Halo, - Halo's a lovely mover! I was lucky enough to have a trio of dances with Rachel - absolutely superb. And the very last three fantastic dances with Lory was the perfect end to a great weekend.

Classes, I enjoyed all the ones I did:

Carl's slotted class - Brilliant routine and very well taught
    Adam's smooth class - Another lovely routine
    Karen's Steal class - first time tagging for me, great fun
    Alina's Salsa class Sat eve - Good fun (but prob one class too many that day)
    Dance Phychology - Very interesting, andI had some lovely compliments
    whispered in my ear! Pity I'll never know who from!
    Steve Kemp's Musicality class - First class I've done with him, great teacher - really enjoyed it.
    Marc & Rachel's Cuban Blues - beautiful routine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    And the very last three fantastic dances with Lory was the perfect end to a great weekend.
    A big thank you to you too!

I put my coat on straight after, cos as I said at the time.. it wont get better than that! (for 'me' that was)

You did make me giggle though... when you said.. 'ooh, I nearly nodded off then!

A big thank you to you too!

I put my coat on straight after, cos as I said at the time.. it wont get better than that! (for 'me' that was)

You did make me giggle though... when you said.. 'ooh, I nearly nodded off then!
    LMAO

The end of that track was very dreamy (can you remember what it was?) - I had my eyes closed & was honestly was drifting off! When the track ended I snapped back to life

Oh - and thinking back on it now, (not just saying this) - I said the same thing to myself too
    Last edited by Phil_dB; 17th-November-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Thread Information