View Poll Results: Are you going to the UK WCS Champs 2010?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Going and competing

11 42.31%
  • Yes - Going but not competing

8 30.77%
  • No - Not going

5 19.23%
  • No - I am staying home perfecting my smile

2 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weston UK WCS Championships 09 - 11 April 2010

Re: Weston UK WCS Championships 09 - 11 April 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    It looks like the rules have been updated: UK WCS Champs

Much better
    Vast improvement. Much less scope for having to compete in unrealistic categories.

So has anyone got any results yet?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    So has anyone got any results yet?

M
    These, thanks to Sheena:

Pro Inv: Paul Warden & Sarve Didar
    Classic: Paul Warden & Catriona Wiles
    Int J& J: Maxime Zzaoui & Jo Jephcott
    Open strictly : Maxime Zzaoui and Vurginie Grondin

JnJ Invitational:
    - Paul Warden & Sarve Didar
    - Scott Stuart & Dora Maklouf
    - Peter Fradley & Virginie Grondin
    - Cat Wiles & Jake Hanning

Open Strictly:
    - Virginie Grondin & Maxime Zzaoui
    - Scott Stuart & Naomi Hulbert
    - Paul Warden & Sam Buckwater

Intermediate JnJ:
    - Jo Jephcott & Maxime Zzaoui

Classic:
    - Paul & Cat
    - Julien & Beverly
    - Scott & Katrina
    - Sebastien & Blandine

not sure about the rest sorry !

I suspect an aftermath thread of its own isn't worthwhile so I'll add my random thoughts in here

* Invitational JnJ was in a different format from last year and I felt it didn't work as well. It also went on too long given that social dancing ended at 2.30
    * Although I have been at events featuring them before I realised this weekend why Kyle and Sarah are rated so highly. I did all their classes and loved their two cabarets
    * Once again a great atmosphere during the comps with some top notch musical selections
    * Enormous French contingent over, some excellent dancers among them and some competition rounds composed almost entirely of the French!
    * Social dancing always seemed to be over too early, I guess we're so used to a different kind of weekender that a 2.30 finish is a bit of a culture shock
    * Gender balance, whilst not as bad as 2008, was still pretty rough on the followers and much worse IMO than last year
    * Social music was a mixed bag, mostly enjoyable but I felt I heard the same songs quite a lot. Sunday after the cabaret was disappointing for me. Partly because I don't like the kind of blues that predominated early on and then when John came on I would have preferred something more upbeat. Pretty much everything he played was a good song but personally I'd have preferred something a bit different.
    * The Open Strictly was once again a great spectacle. Maxime and, particularly, Virginie were great value for their win. I'm still regretting not asking her to dance this weekend
    * I didn't see a lot of social dancing from the Pros - not something that matters to me and given their other commitments during the daytime and evening, not surprising but may have disappointed some.

Overall, Weston's an odd one. Relatively expensive when you add accomodation, food and travel to your ticket price (plus comp fees if you choose to do that) but I still think it's the major UK event for WCS and isn't one I'd want to miss. I like competing but am unlikely to enter at Weston with the current setup (basically I'd have to enter a category way above my ability level) and I suspect there are many others in the same boat.
    Last edited by robd; 13th-April-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    * Invitational JnJ was in a different format from last year and I felt it didn't work as well. It also went on too long given that social dancing ended at 2.30
    I felt having fewer couples or fewer rounds would have been better. No disrespect is meant to those dancing in the invitational but I got bored of watching after a while. I think if it had been a bit shorter it would've had more of a "wow" impact.

* Although I have been at events featuring them before I realised this weekend why Kyle and Sarah are rated so highly. I did all their classes and loved their two cabarets
    Snap. I loved doing/watching their classes - I will definitely do as many of their workshops as I can at future events.

* Once again a great atmosphere during the comps with some top notch musical selections
    * Enormous French contingent over, some excellent dancers among them and some competition rounds composed almost entirely of the French!
    Oh my god! The French were amazing - I was already impressed (both by standard of dancing and friendliness) by those I had encountered at the Swingvitational but they blew me away at Weston. The team cabarets - wow. So many Classic entries from them - and Sebastien and Blanche's (the couple in red and grey) was absolutely STUNNING. The strange "barking" cheering man . Maxime and Virginie

* Social dancing always seemed to be over too early, I guess we're so used to a different kind of weekender that a 2.30 finish is a bit of a culture shock
    It was my first time at Weston Champs and I did enjoy it. However, I was sooooo intimated on the Friday that I barely danced and only managed a little more on the Saturday. Thankfully I found some confidence on Sunday night and had some awesome dances. (The intimidation was "my" issue and not caused by anybody else - it was purely because it was my first time at the event and the standard of dancing was so incredibly high.)

* The Open Strictly was once again a great spectacle. Maxime and, particularly, Virginie were great value for their win.
    The standard of the Open Strictly was incredible and huge congratulations to Jo and Steve for making the final (and for more than holding their own in the Invitational!). I could barely take my eyes off Maxime and Virginie - they were so entertaining.

* I didn't see a lot of social dancing from the Pros - not something that matters to me and given their other commitments during the daytime and evening, not surprising but may have disappointed some.
    I did find this slightly disappointing as one of the many highlights of the Swingvitational for me was both dancing with the pros and watching them dance with other punters and with each other. But as Rob says it was understandable that they didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed all of their cabarets though, particulary the threesome from John, Robert and Kyle.

I probably would go back next year but would hope to either pay less or get more social dancing for my money.
    Last edited by jive-vee; 13th-April-2010 at 10:08 PM.

UK WCS Championship 2010 Results

Newcomer Jack & Jill

1st - Kieran Moore & Lynsey Kent
    2nd - Joe Foster & Marie Agnes-Laude
    3rd - Mark Oxley & Helen Drew
    4th - Martin Pearcy & Debbie Attwood
    5th - Matt Barker & Kerry Griffiths
    6th - Stuart McKellar & Eniko Szucs

Novice Jack & Jill

1st - Nicolas Bourgeais & Elsa Vidal
    2nd - Grigory Lebedev & Virginie Duplay
    3rd - Olivier Duplay & Amy Woolston
    4th - Rob Lawrence & Emeline Rochefeuille
    5th - Klaus Bravenboer & Lynne Pearson
    6th - Randal Boyd & Coleen Man

Intermediate Jack & Jill

1st - Maxime Zzaoui & Jo Jephcott
    2nd - Julien Vallier & Delphine Cottet
    3rd - Neil Crosbie & Virginie Grondin
    4th - Steve Hall & Melodie Chardonnet
    5th - Eric Alhomne & Anna Lumsden
    6th - Kofi Ahianyo-Akakpo & Beverly Brunerie

Novice Strictly Swing

1st - Olivier Duplay & Estelle Bonnaire
    2nd - Nicolas Bourgeais & Delphine Cottet
    3rd - Jerome Fernandez & Joelle Noire
    4th - Olivier Duprez & Lena Rummel
    5th - Xavier Dumail & Elsa Vidal
    6th - Jean Christophe Saville & Vicky Wood

Open Strictly Swing

1st - Maxime Zzaoui & Virginie Grondin
    2nd - Scott Stuart & Naomi Hulbert
    3rd - Paul Warden & Samantha Buckwalter
    4th - Olivier Massart & Virginie Perga
    5th - Arnaud Perga & Celine Sully
    6th - Francois Raynaud & Blandine Iche

Team Cabaret

1st - Mad Swingers II
    2nd - Mad Swingers I
    3rd - Smooth Criminals

Classic Division

1st - Paul Warden & Catriona Wiles
    2nd - Julien Vallier & Beverly Brunerie
    3rd - Scott Stuart & Katrina Ostrenski
    4th - Sebastien Cadet & Blandine Iche
    5th - James McLauchlan & Margaret Cassidy
    6th - Olivier & Virginie Duplay

Invitational Jack & Jill

1st - Paul Warden & Sarve Didar
    2nd - Scott Stuart & Dora Makhlouf
    3rd - Peter Fradley & Virginie Grondin
    4th - Jake Haning & Catriona Wiles

I pretty much agree with what robd said - the Friday night social dancing time was curtailed too much by the lengthy Invitational JnJ format, and I kept getting caught out by the 2.30AM end to each night's social dancing. I also felt bad that I simply missed out on dancing with several people for the entire weekend!

Still, I was chuffed to see Scott & Katrina do really well (go Aussies! ), as did many of my friends who were in the comps, from both sides of the Channel. I personally found Novice JnJ and Novice Strictly a huge step up and a lot harder than doing Newcomers last year - there were a LOT of entries in the Novice divisions, and the JnJ rounds were skipped in favour of Round 1 -> Final IIRC.

All the workshops had great content for everyone; the Open and Classic divisions were of a very high standard; the pros' cabarets were great to watch; the French contingent was the biggest I'd ever seen at a WCS event (excluding the folks I'd seen at Lyon in Feb) and they excelled at just about every category.

And the impromptu Swing Jam right at the end of Sunday night awards was a great idea thanks to Robert Royston - although it was clear from watching several folks at the very inner circle that they'd freak out at the possibility of being randomly pulled in and dancing with the pros!!!

I just wish I can go to this event again next year, but in all likelihood I can't make it

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ
    Still, I was chuffed to see Scott & Katrina do really well (go Aussies! ),
    Was it their Breakeven routine they were performing?

I love that one
    Last edited by DavidY; 14th-April-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Fixing quote

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Was it their Breakeven routine they were performing?

I love that one
    I think It had a few tweaks to it from what I saw of their Dallas DANCE performance, but yes that's the one.

Invitational JnJ was in a different format from last year and I felt it didn't work as well. It also went on too long given that social dancing ended at 2.30
    I really enjoy invitational JnJ when I see them on youtube but this really went on way too long. I am sure that the organisers sensed this even during the event as they soon cut out the "cheer if you liked the blues team - cheer if you liked the red team" thing and went straight to the judges cards to decide the round winner. The unfortunate thing is that by the time that you realise that the event is way too long you have little lattitude for shortening proceedings. I am sure they will learn for next year.

* Social music was a mixed bag, mostly enjoyable but I felt I heard the same songs quite a lot. Sunday after the cabaret was disappointing for me. Partly because I don't like the kind of blues that predominated early on and then when John came on I would have preferred something more upbeat. Pretty much everything he played was a good song but personally I'd have preferred something a bit different.
    I really feel like a lone voice in the wilderness here on the subject of music in that I would prefer more blues and country music, both slow and more upbeat. There were huge periods of each of the evenings where my partner and I just sat down because we didn't want to dance to the music for up to an hour on end. We did go into the other room when we were told that there were blues sets being played and while it was nice, even there we didn't want it as the only music. I want to dance to a range of music, or should I say a wider range of music.

I don't want a whole evening of blues but I would want a more balanced MIXTURE of the music that is available for WCS. I have no idea when blues, swing and country music all but disappeared from WCS (it does make appearances in competitions that I see on youtube) but I for one, miss it. It does feel as if the current music scene is dominated by what I know as "boom, chick" music because of the dominant beat structure. Heavens, even a Ceroc main night has more varied music for its dancers and after going to one local WCS class we have to go to Ceroc on the following night just to cheer ourselves up. We have now simply given up going to that WCS class even though it is, by far, the closest class for us.

I thought it was telling that for the exciting sunday night jam 3 fast blues tracks were played when the dominant muisc of the weekend was what I would regard as RnB, and generally slow RnB at that.

The experience of this weekend and a few recent weekend events has left the both of us feeling that WCS is a very interesting dance, supported by a wide range of teachers, both domestic and foreign, danced to a very limited range of music. Indiviual songs can be interesting, but the lack of range makes the whole dull for us.

If it wasn't for the lucky chance that we are near the Petts Wood class which plays a wide range of music we would probably have given up WCS about 18 months ago. We would love to do the classes at the weekenders but the evening freestyles hold little attraction to us.

OK so this is just my opinion, but I felt I had to express it.
    Last edited by Chef; 14th-April-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    OK so this is just my opinion, but I felt I had to express it.
    Ultimately musical taste is subjective and an event organiser and the DJs are unlikely to please everybody. I suspect one of the reasons I don't particularly like many of the classic Blues tracks that get played is because they highlight my weaknesses in dancing WCS rather too apparently.

One other observation I had from the post-cabaret Sun night session was that many of the tracks seemed to go on for a long time. This may just have been my impression but I feel that a track has usually outstayed its welcome at 4 minutes, 5 at a push and some I felt were pushing on even past that stage. That also adds to the difficulty for followers when there's a gender imbalance as there are fewer opportunities to dance overall.

Ultimately musical taste is subjective and an event organiser and the DJs are unlikely to please everybody. I suspect one of the reasons I don't particularly like many of the classic Blues tracks that get played is because they highlight my weaknesses in dancing WCS rather too apparently.
    I do understand that DJs cannot please everybody and that musical taste is subjective. I am not asking for all blues tracks to be played, or all fast tracks to be played. All I am asking for is a more varied range of music in both tempo and style.

One other observation I had from the post-cabaret Sun night session was that many of the tracks seemed to go on for a long time. This may just have been my impression but I feel that a track has usually outstayed its welcome at 4 minutes, 5 at a push and some I felt were pushing on even past that stage. That also adds to the difficulty for followers when there's a gender imbalance as there are fewer opportunities to dance overall.
    I am with you on this one whole heartedly.

On some class nights. if your teacher has seriously over run on their lesson and then you have these ultra long tracks you end up having only 4 dances before the evening ends at 11pm.

I too have seen them before & love their style. I now think they are great teachers as well!

I think the great atmosphere was helped with all the French ppl - unsure about the barking/cheering noise coming from one of them though
    Agree with Rob saying about some of them being fab dancers! And must point out Maxime and Virginie - WOW!

Ditto!

* Gender balance, whilst not as bad as 2008, was still pretty rough on the followers and much worse IMO than last year
    I didn't go nor knew about WCS back in 2008, so cannot compare but is a wee bit frustrating for so many extra woman to be there. Did they decide to do it gender balance at the end?

Music wasn't very inspiring sometimes & me being me didn't take note when it was but remember sat down quite a lot cos of the long blues tracks.

* The Open Strictly was once again a great spectacle. Maxime and, particularly, Virginie were great value for their win.
    Couldn't agree with you more

Overall, Weston's an odd one. Relatively expensive when you add accomodation, food and travel to your ticket price (plus comp fees if you choose to do that) but I still think it's the major UK event for WCS and isn't one I'd want to miss.
    Correct but WCS events tend to be more costly.
    I will probably go again & same as Jive-vee as in, stop with the silly confidence issue & just go out there, ask & hopefully enjoy

I notice the comments about the french and see the french wcs open is on soon. They have quite the impressive line-up.

JF&TM
    KR&SvD
    PW&CW
    JC

Unfortunately I have yet to start my WCS education, but from the youtube stuff I've seen its an impressive lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I notice the comments about the french and see the french wcs open is on soon. They have quite the impressive line-up.

JF&TM
    KR&SvD
    PW&CW
    JC

Unfortunately I have yet to start my WCS education, but from the youtube stuff I've seen its an impressive lineup.
    Yes it is a really great line up. Sadly I cannot go either.

How about considering the Midland Swing Open in September or the Swingvitational in November.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

JF&TM
    KR&SvD
    PW&CW
    JC

If you've yet to start doing WCS, I would suggest you may first want to look at some of the UK-based WCS weekenders coming up soon-ish, as opposed to diving headlong to an event such as FOWCS given the travelling/accommodation/ticket prices involved. For those reasons, I would argue that its a fair bit easier (and perhaps less intimidating in a sense) for you to get into some excellent weekender-calibre WCS workshops from top-notch teachers and have lots of social dancing, whilst staying put in the UK. I'll try to explain a bit further below...

Off the top of my head, here's a few major UK WCS weekenders coming up:

Scottish Swing-sation - May 21-24 in Ayr Scotland - David Higgins & Lisa Jane Ferrie are running this one, and the lineup includes John Lindo, and James McLauchlan (DJs are Dr Chill and Dance Demon). There may well be a few French dancers coming up to this event from some conversations I've had at Weston.

Glasgow Classic - May 28-31 in Glasgow Scotland - Graham Fox is running this, and the lineup includes Jason Miklic & Sophie Kdep (USA), Nicola Lafferty, Diane Isherwood, and Patricia Rogan. Jason & Sophie have a reputation as one of the most social dancing-friendly pro couples going around (I read somewhere they got an award for doing just that in the US WCS circuit). And I've been told by several people that they're into social dancing with everyone no matter what level they're at, which is a good thing in my book. I'm hoping to go to this one as its local to me

World Swing Masters - Aug 6-8 in Manchester - this is a joint comp & social line dance and swing dance event, but it has a very impressive line-up of US/UK WCS pros (Robert Cordoba & Deborah Szekely, John Lindo, Ronnie DeBenedetta, Brennar & Torri, Lee Easton, Rachael McEnaney, Paul & Cat).

And as Dottie mentioned before, there's Midland Swing Open - Sep 17-19 in Northampton - again, a great lineup including Kyle Redd & Sarah van Drake, Parker Dearborn & Jennnifer Deluca, and Samantha Buckwalter.

*phew*

I probably should've posted this on the West Coast Swing thread, but anyway hope that helps you or anyone else looking around for WCS weekenders.

I did not notice the Gender Imbalance that a few people have mentioned but then I am a Man. However . . . .

I cannot get anything out of dancing with a super star Follow so I do not attempt it.

Follows that will dance with me in a home environment chose to avoid and refuse me during this week end. Two particular star follows were so busy talking to each other and ignoring Robert Royston's instruction that I had to do the class drill alone (albeit in synch with the Man next to me)

Being demoralised meant that I removed myself from the freestyle early during each session.

I recognise that this is the Championship so probably not ideal for my priorities but I am unlikely to go again.

Z

Lots of interesting points on here about Weston, i only made the Saturday night due to work committments which hopefully allowed me to go to Reno this weekend but a certain Icelandic Volcano went and put the brakes on that! Anyway having been to the last 2 westons and having now experienced 15 US events i do think some tweaks here and there could make a big difference.....

The great bits

1. The French Army absolutely make for an awesome atmosphere in addition to their very obvious talent for the dance. Maxime and Virginie spring to mind and if you also consider that 2 frenchies won the US open JnJ it fairly obvious to state that france are becoming a real force in the WCS scene
    2. The Roystons and K&S and John Lindo are in my opinion (along with J&T and Mario) the very best swing instructors around, We are sooo very lucky to have the best teachers coming over to the UK so often.
    3. Having Victor Loveira come across also is a great move, His comp music always get the whole place rocking
    The bits that i think need improving

1. I`m never convinced about the scheduling! In the states they have strictlys on friday, JnJ prelims on saturday day and then the Saturday night show of Classic and Showcase and Invitational and then JnJ finals sunday afternoon with awards at like 5pm on Sunday! Awards at weston were like 11pm on sunday night!! People want to be dancing at 11pm! also the thing people hate the most is posting a schedule and then overrunning! It`s not a huge event! MadJam had 1700 dancers and it ran to the minute!
    2. The whole competition criteria is far too complicated, as it is now a WSDC event just stick to the WSDC rules, If you haven`t qualified out of novice then you dance novice until you have done and so on, I know there were people who didn`t compete because they had to dance in Intermediate with no real chance of winning due to the level of Frenchies competing so rather than donate entry fees at an already expensive Comp it seems silly to discourage people to compete.
    3. The lack of freestyle time in the evenings, finshing at 2.30am especially when you have 11pm awards and shows means for not loads of social dancing! I believe there are security issues that may prevent this happening or something along those lines.....
    4. Last thing is the Invitational! Not quite sure why Amy Muncaster wasn`t on the list! She dances advanced and has competed in classic across the pond! Seem totally bizarre to me! Not quite sure what went on here!
    All in all i think it`s a good event and John does a good job of organising it, but i don`t think it`s a must go to event at the moment and i don`t think it would take very much to make it a must go to event either! It`s great to see the scene getting stronger and stronger each year.

FoxyFunkster has made some very good points & I do actually agree with him. So lets hope this weekender is changed for the better next year

I like competing but am unlikely to enter at Weston with the current setup (basically I'd have to enter a category way above my ability level) and I suspect there are many others in the same boat.
    Details for Weston 2011 just starting to emerge and to JA's credit they look to have addressed two of the issues I highlighted above with

* social dancing til 5 am
    * Newcomer, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced J'n'J categories

Jordan and Tatiana are headlining for the first time at this event so it looks likely that I'll be westward bound once more in April of next year

Thread Information