View Poll Results: Are you going to the UK WCS Champs 2010?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Going and competing

11 42.31%
  • Yes - Going but not competing

8 30.77%
  • No - Not going

5 19.23%
  • No - I am staying home perfecting my smile

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weston UK WCS Championships 09 - 11 April 2010

Weston UK WCS Championships 09 - 11 April 2010

Well, even earlier than I posted for last year's event but it's a Saturday and I'm putting off the hoovering

I think a lot of the comments pre-empting last year's comp - lack of prize money, allocation of points, etc - will come up again.

I'm pleased to see some prize money now in J'n'J albeit I'd still prefer to see it split among the top 3 or 5 rather than all to the winner. Also bemused by £500 for team cabaret winners which is being subsidised by the other categories I presume as there's no entry fee for that category. Surprised also to see Showcase on the list again after it was scratched due to insufficient interest last year.

I'll go for sure but like last year I'll probably just spectate and social dance. By virtue of placing third in novice strictly here a couple of years back I'd be forced to enter Intermediate J'n'J which, should I place, would mean I'd have to enter Intermediate if I went to the States again and I don't belong in that category. I did think of doing Strictly but again, I'd have to enter Open and when I recall the standard in the Open Strictly final last year I figure I may as well just send Paul a cheque for the £15 entry fee and cut out the middleman Of course, I could just do as some did last year and disregard the very clear competition criteria and dance in a lower division

Anyway, enough sniping. The atmosphere during the comps here last year was great and I am sure there'll be lots of Frenchies here too.

Full details on the JA website - find it yourself, it's easy enough.

Re: Weston UK WCS Championships 09 - 11 April 2010

Still very new to wcs but I love it and am determined to go to more events next year. It'll be my first year at the Weston wcs weekend but I've heard so many good things about it from my mates that I can't wait!

Hey Rob, I don't suppose you could add a poll option stating something like 'Maybe' or 'Yes if I could figure out how' ? Because that's pretty much describing my situation...

This year's WCS Champs was my first ever WCS weekender, and I had a fantastic time, if a bit overwhelmed at the time. But as much as I'd like to go to the 2010 edition, I'm not sure what my financial and living situation will be like come February onwards next year

Ponders requesting poll option 'Maybe - I'm a drama queen'

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Ponders requesting poll option 'Maybe - I'm a drama queen'
    Nah, I think we all know you're a drama queen Mr D

I'm pleased to see some prize money now in J'n'J albeit I'd still prefer to see it split among the top 3 or 5 rather than all to the winner. Also bemused by £500 for team cabaret winners, which is being subsidised by the other categories
    Perhaps might be considered an international discount, subsidised by the entry fee (or a cabaret fee).

Though it would be better if the competitions paid for themselves / each other, and only the invitational came out of the entry fee.

By virtue of placing third in novice strictly here a couple of years back I'd be forced to enter Intermediate J'n'J .... Of course, I could just do as some did last year and disregard the very clear competition criteria and dance in a lower division
    The competition criteria look clear about the competitions you've previously done, so perhaps you're referring to that.

I've noticed some surprising novices and newcomers in the past given the experience criteria, but thinking about it I don't think this is clear cut despite, or perhaps because it is so brief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Addiction Web Site
    3. Dancers with 3 years or more experience.
    The rules do seem extreme. If I read it correctly you might enter a newcomer competition with a couple of other entrants, and hence by virtue of entering, even if the worst dancer on earth, now have to dance open.

I'm thinking if you want to compete outside a very narrow band of permitted progression you pretty much have to disregard the rules.

Which is a bit of a turn off, especially for people who do pay attention to rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Addiction Web Site
    Division Qualifications
    It is the organisers aim to encourage all competitors to assign themselves to a fair and appropriate classification using the honour system.
    Why not have rules then that permit competitors to assign themselves to a fair and appropriate classification, for their skill level.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    The rules do seem extreme. If I read it correctly you might enter a newcomer competition with a couple of other entrants, and hence by virtue of entering, even if the worst dancer on earth, now have to dance open.
    What about a West Coast 101 Competition focusing on the 14 basic patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    The competition criteria look clear about the competitions you've previously done, so perhaps you're referring to that.
    I'm referring to others who also placed at Novice level in 2008 being permitted to dance (and place again IIRC) at Novice level in 2009 which is a clear breach of the published entry criteria. I welcomed the clarity in the criteria that were published last year (and repeated this year) but the minute that exceptions start being made then you may as well have no criteria at all IMO.

As for Alan's suggestion of a WCS 101 category? Why? What's the benefit? Is this something that happens stateside?

Commercial Operator

As for Alan's suggestion of a WCS 101 category? Why? What's the benefit? Is this something that happens stateside?
    The World Swing Dance Council (WSDC) sanctioned 14 Basic patterns that could authentically represent the essence of WCS to clarify the basics in a Basic Fundamental Competition.

See: http://www.swingworld.com/wcs.htm for more details

"Novice Division
    Open to any dancer 16 years old and above. However, the following exclusions apply:

1. Anyone who has ever been placed in the top 3 in either a previous US or European WCS competition (whether Jack & Jill, Classic, Strictly Swing, Showcase or any other division).
    2. Anyone who teaches WCS classes, workshops or private lessons and receives remuneration for teaching WCS, whether full or part-time.
    3. Dancers with 3 years or more experience."

The above is taken from the published rules on the Jive Addiction website.

Does point 1 refer to any competition in the UK? e.g MSO, Swingmasters,etc

I am hoping it doesn't refer to placings in a Newcomer category??

I would like clarification from the organisers on the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Doyle View Post
    The World Swing Dance Council (WSDC) sanctioned 14 Basic patterns that could authentically represent the essence of WCS to clarify the basics in a Basic Fundamental Competition.

See: http://www.swingworld.com/wcs.htm for more details

Alan, why did you quote my three questions if you were not going to answer any of them in your post

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    [B][I]"Novice Division ....
    snip..... clarification from the organisers on the above.
    Have emailed John with my queries.

Commercial Operator

Why?

The WSDC guidelines intend that a "newcomer" is new to winning not new to dancing. Competing as a Novice is intended to mean that you are not a newcomer to winning but you haven't gained enough points to get into Intermediate.

What's the benefit?
    The Novice category is one of the hardest to move up from Novice to Intermediate...some people stay at Novice for a LONG time.

The West Coast 101 is intended to concentrate on the basics (only the 14 basics - no syncopations). It makes it easier for people to move up from Novice to Intermediate.

To be eligible to compete in West Coast 101, you MAY be a Beginner. You MAY be a Newcomer. You may already be a Novice dancer. However, you are NOT eligible for West Coast 101 - if you have ever PLACED in the TOP 5 in a World Swing Dance Council recognized Competition.

Is this something that happens state side?
    It's a brand new competition, I am one of 100 teachers who teach the West Coast 101 Syllabus. There have been several West Coast 101 Competitions in the states & I believe Jordan & Tatiana organised one in France in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Doyle View Post
    The WSDC guidelines intend that a "newcomer" is new to winning not new to dancing. Competing as a Novice is intended to mean that you are not a newcomer to winning but you haven't gained enough points to get into Intermediate.

The Novice category is one of the hardest to move up from Novice to Intermediate...some people stay at Novice for a LONG time.
    This makes some sense to me
    Competition experience is all that should be taken into account at a competition.
    As an older generation dancer with some experience in dancing (not competition dancing) I would be happy to enter as a newcomer

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    Competition experience is all that should be taken into account at a competition
    But does this mean any dance competition, or only WCS competition?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Greg
    I would have thought that it should refer to only the dance comp style you are entering. A Salsa Champ can't go staught in at top level WCS etc.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Greg
    Well thank about it...someone may be an expert in Modern Jive and may have won several competitions but may be completely new to WCS for example. I don't see why the competition experience in one style of dance should have any relevance if you're competing in a different style of dance in a different competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Have emailed John with my queries.
    Dottie, has John clarified your query about whether any UK WCS competition results are taken into account in as per Jiveaddiction's Novice division rules for Weston?

I just wanted to let slip that this year's UK WCS Champs will see a bigger Aussie representation

Numbers-wise its not much, but we should hopefully provide a louder presence along with our fellow Brits to counter-balance the very vocal French contingent coming over

It looks like the rules have been updated: UK WCS Champs

Much better but I'd still like to see the US criteria over here if they are going to be allocating WSDC points.

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    It looks like the rules have been updated: UK WCS Champs

Much better but I'd still like to see the US criteria over here if they are going to be allocating WSDC points.
    I agree - it takes any subjectivity out of it though I'd guess it could leave novice with some inadvertent sandbaggers.

One of my gripes - prize money for top 3 in JnJ rather than just winner - has been addressed which is good.

Anyone know who is doing the inviting for the invitational and what the basis for the invitations will be? I think it was mostly teachers last year so I'll be interested to see if the regular transatlantic travellers who are ascending the ranks over there get included.

Thread Information