Thread: Which broadband?

Which broadband?

I have just received my talktime and broadband bill from BT and am horrified by the amount I now have to pay. Seem you have to pay a month in advance. So basically I have to come up with £77 a month just to have home phone and broadband. Surely there must be another company that I could get a better deal with.

Would love to hear who you are with

Re: Which broadband?

I'm with BT too - think mine is £15.99 a month for broadband & then my line rental for my phone. When I started it was £17.99 a month (after the introductory offer) but BT are good in that when prices go down for new customers they automatically put down existing customers bills as well.

I used to be with Tiscali for dial up, but had problems for 4 months where they insisted nothing was wrong even though I couldn't retain the connection. Then they refused to provide me with broadband because they couldn't guarantee a service. So I changed to BT and have had no problems (touch wood).

I could get it cheaper elsewhere, however we're in the middle of nowhere, as far as possible from the telephone exchange, so lots of other companies won't provide it.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Up to now I've been very happy with Plusnet and have been paying ~ £10.99 for up to 3GB monthly usage.

Just last week I changed to Sky. I have got a package of Sky TV, (basic channels to start with, already had an old Sky box/dish), Sky phone (includes free calls at weekends and eves) and Sky broadband (with no limits) for £38 per month. £27.50 for 1st 3 months.

It's worth giving Sky a ring. I worked out from their website I could get this deal for ~£18 per month but when I phoned them they explained that that price was for really slow broadband, which isn't available in my area anyway. They initially gave me a package price of £48 pcm but when they heard my disappointed tone brought that down to £38 without much negotiation!

So far everything is working fine and changeover, TV card etc no problems. Phone changeover date is in a few days I think.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Up to now I've been very happy with Plusnet and have been paying ~ £10.99 for up to 3GB monthly usage.
    Not so good if you want to play games, download files and watch iPlayer. Best, and cheapest unlimited packeg is BeThere - only £13.50 per month - unlimited usage

It's worth giving Sky a ring. I worked out from their website I could get this deal for ~£18 per month but when I phoned them they explained that that price was for really slow broadband, which isn't available in my area anyway.
    Yes it is. They were lying to you to get you to pay more. Seriously. I'd complain.

Just spoke to a neighbour who is with Talk Talk and seems she pays £27 to £37 for broadband and calls including to US and OZ. BT have been fine until this month they are now asking for a month in advance which is too much - have been with them 20 years too.

I was with Orange for a couple of years but they've really started to put their prices up recently so I swapped to TalkTalk. Landline, free evening and weekend calls and Broadband for £18.99 a month. BB is a bit slow but otherwise an excellent service.
    I hate BT with a passion that I cannot sum up in words alone...

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Landline, free evening and weekend calls and Broadband for £18.99 a month. BB is a bit slow but otherwise an excellent service.
    I'm with TalkTalk too, something similar except I have daytime calls free too. Yes it can be slow, but seems good vfm considering I was paying more just for line rental from BT, and now I get my line, all my calls and broadband for under £20 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Best, and cheapest unlimited packeg is BeThere - only £13.50 per month - unlimited usage
    Depends on where you live, it's not available to all.

MissyD, what you can get very much depends on where you live. Some telephone exchanges have been opened to competition, where broadband companies can put their own kit in and don't have to pay BT, so it is cheaper. Try this website to see if your phone exchange is open to competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Not so good if you want to play games, download files and watch iPlayer. Best, and cheapest unlimited packeg is BeThere - only £13.50 per month - unlimited usage
    Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Depends on where you live, it's not available to all.
    But O2 is the same company as Be and give a similar product (ADSL+2)
    I moved from plusnet (costing £23 a month for up to 8 meg) to O2 (i do have an O2 mobile so i get discounts) and am paying £9.79 a month for up to 20 meg
    So far i cant fault the service or the product

Blog Entries

In our area, the BT lines are so bad that no matter what we paid, the best broadband we could get was less than 1/2MB!
    However, luckily it turns out that our street is already prepared for cable so we signed up to Virgin for Broadband, phone and TV.
    We get 20MB and lots more TV channels, for about the same price we were paying to BT, AOL and TopUpTV.

I gave up my Virgin telephone line and broadband about a year ago as I had an assignment working away from home. I switched across to mobile 3G broadband with Three. It's fine for surfing the net, checking e-mails and MSN chat etc. As it's capped at 1GB usage per month I need to avoid video and music content but if I want to watch that I just stay late at work.

One day I'll go back to normal landline broadband but my £10 Mobile broadband from Three with no line rental charges is suiting me fine at the moment.

I just feel Telco's are over charging for their telephone and broadband packages and now we have a choice I can still have broadband and save £30 per month to go spend on other delights

Commercial Operator

I think Talktalk should be available in most of London, although they do sometimes have issues with not enough lines being available for new connections. Some of the deals people are currently getting may no longer be available, as things change almost on a daiily basis, but I think they are still offering broadband and evening/weekend calls for £6.49 a month. I have a different deal as I need daytime and international calls.

I'm never impressed with the customer services of these companies, but at least the Talktalk calls are free. I recently cancelled my contract with 3 for mobile broadband, it was ok as a temporary measure, but often very slow (especially on windy days!) Customer services really tried to con me when I tried to cancel, giving me a deal for just £7.50 a month. When the details finally arrived in the post, it was £15 a month, and with a minimum term of 2 years which had never been mentioned on the phone. They don't have facilities for cancelling by post or email, you have to phone, and I've spent several £ on calls while they persuade me not to leave.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Try this website to see if your phone exchange is open to competition.
    Hmmpph, yep BT's the only one for me until they make any thing like cable or alternative providers available.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Hmmpph, yep BT's the only one for me until they make any thing like cable or alternative providers available.
    Apparantly there are only 27 exchanges in the whole of the UK that are not converted for ADSL, 20 of which are on the Outer Hebrides - 1 hours boat trip from the Scottish mainland. So, you are particularly unlucky .

Thread Information