Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Advance Category - Midlands Champs 21st Nov

New Advance Category - Midlands Champs 21st Nov

Hi All

I have bullied Mr Allsopp and he has said that if i can get enough couples to participate he will add in the Advanced Category at the Midlands Champs on the 21st Nov.

We need to get at least 12 couples, i have had a fair bit of interest so far so if you are interested in competing at this level please send me a pm so i can keep tally of how many couple we have before he agrees

Any questions please give me a shout

Commercial Operator

Re: New Advance Category - Midlands Champs 21st Nov

Fantastic news.... Well done, DD!!!!

I hope U get the 12, now... (is a bit of a high ask, Cheeky B......)

I would think Alex Faulkner and Kelly might be interested they are only doing ceroc X at the moment.

Not sure what Danni and Josh are doing

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I would think Alex Faulkner and Kelly might be interested they are only doing ceroc X at the moment.

Not sure what Danni and Josh are doing

Alex and Kelly would have to do the open as they are teachers and Josh and Danni would to as they have won at Advanced Level

I have a few on Board now - but still need more couples
    Any suggestions welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    I have a few on Board now - but still need more couples
    Any suggestions welcomed
    Reduce the numbers needed and just have a semi and final? Hope it works out, for the sake of the competitors!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Reduce the numbers needed and just have a semi and final? Hope it works out, for the sake of the competitors!

Elaine
    Unfortunately thats the amount of couples that Mike wants so done my best to try to get them - however its not looking good right now

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Unfortunately thats the amount of couples that Mike wants so done my best to try to get them - however its not looking good right now
    It's quite hard to get high numbers to enter this category as things currenly stand. However, I believe this category really does have a place and just needs to get established. A long-sighted organiser would see the benefit of having a category that gives amateur dancers somewhere to compete once they've been competing for some time and have won a few medals.

The benefit is two-fold, the Advanced amateur has his/her interest in competition kept alive and the Novice amateur is more likely to enter if they aren't up against previous winners.

Why not just move up to the Open category once you've won the intermediate? I believe this is a very big leap and many intermediate medallists are put off and no longer compete.

At Britrock this year we re-introduced the Advanced category due to a few people who made strident requests - OK, let's not beat about the bush, they were a bit pushy! But you had to agree with their arguments. We had just 5 entries. But this was enough to run a final and the standard was very high. It only added 10 minutes to the programme. Come on Mike, give those gifted amateurs their 10 minutes of fame

I expect that the entry to Advanced at Britrock will be higher next year, especially if a few other competitions run similar categories and dancers start thinking of themselves as "Advanced".

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Why not just move up to the Open category once you've won the intermediate? I believe this is a very big leap and many intermediate medallists are put off and no longer compete.

At Britrock this year we re-introduced the Advanced category due to a few people who made strident requests - OK, let's not beat about the bush, they were a bit pushy! But you had to agree with their arguments. We had just 5 entries. But this was enough to run a final and the standard was very high. It only added 10 minutes to the programme. Come on Mike, give those gifted amateurs their 10 minutes of fame

I expect that the entry to Advanced at Britrock will be higher next year, especially if a few other competitions run similar categories and dancers start thinking of themselves as "Advanced".
    Thanks for the support Andy

The benefit is two-fold, the Advanced amateur has his/her interest in competition kept alive and the Novice amateur is more likely to enter if they aren't up against previous winners.
    {ODA Mode ON]Just to be controversial (for a change ) ... is this just more evidence that MJ Competitions are now past their sell by date, or at least at the bottom of the curve? Too many competitions, titles that may not be worth anything etc etc?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    {ODA Mode ON]Just to be controversial (for a change ) ... is this just more evidence that MJ Competitions are now past their sell by date, or at least at the bottom of the curve? Too many competitions, titles that may not be worth anything etc etc?
    As the advanced category was effectively a new one it was no surprise that numbers were down. Everything else was up - except the team category.

I think MJ competitions are well liked by those who compete and those who don't compete or have something against competitions should keep their noses out of it.

I think there's plenty of room for competitions and I'd love to see regional competitions with a national final. I'm sure there would be enough support regionally as it would add to the fun of a dance. And the final would be fabulous when everyone came together from the regional heats

I'd do it through the LeRoc Federation if I could perfect my cat herding skills

I spoke to Mike last night, no one has booked this 'cat' yet, he cant get the trofey and run it if no one books, come on guy's if you want it you need to book it.

Commercial Operator

I spoke to Mike last night, no one has booked this 'cat' yet, he cant get the trofey and run it if no one books, come on guy's if you want it you need to book it.
    There's 2 weeks to go. I'm not sure of the statistics for Britrock, but we had a huge proportion of the entries in the last 2 weeks.

Having said that, even if the numbers doubled in 2 weeks that would be twice nothing which is, erm, err, nothing!*

I'm coming and I'd enter the advanced, but I think they only want attractive people for the photos

*For the mathematicians amongst you, there might also be an imaginary number in the answer or possibly the question. This goes with the imaginary trophy that I will be taking home

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I think MJ competitions are well liked by those who compete and those who don't compete or have something against competitions should keep their noses out of it.
    Well, I think the Midlands Comp is probably the newest one on the scene and may not be viewed as on a par with some of the more established comps by some of those competing. However, in general, I agree with Andy. I have never entered an MJ comp and I don't see the attraction (not even for spectating) BUT it's clear there is a large group of people who do enjoy MJ comps (and some who take them very seriously) and put in time and effort accordingly so I wouldn't ever knock them just because they are not for me.

As for titles not being worth anything well, you can only beat what is up against you.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    As for titles not being worth anything well, you can only beat what is up against you.
    Absolutely right

The title of UK Champion is exactly that. Everone in the UK was invited to enter. If you do not enter you are choosing, for what ever reason, to give up the opportunity to win. Therefore those that do enter and win are the national champions.

The title of UK Champion is exactly that. Everone in the UK was invited to enter. If you do not enter you are choosing, for what ever reason, to give up the opportunity to win. Therefore those that do enter and win are the national champions.
    But couldn't every MJ competition (assuming they do not place geographical constraints on entrants) offer the same title?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    But couldn't every MJ competition (assuming they do not place geographical constraints on entrants) offer the same title?
    Yes they could. It's a bit like the different boxing boards. Each one offers a national title. Sometimes those national titles are held by the same person, sometimes they're held by different people.

The difference between boxing and dance contests is that you don't have to be invited to challenge for the title. Anybody can enter if they comply with the entry criteria. To my mind that makes it a national title in a more meaningful way than a boxing title - everyone in the nation was invited to enter and the best couple on the day wins the title. Very democratic IMHO.

The title of UK Champion is exactly that. Everone in the UK was invited to enter.
    So ... everyone in the UK can organise a UK Championship and ALL winners of ANY of these events has the right to call themselves UK CHampion .... urrr rather like we have at the moment? I rather liked some previous promoter (was it Ceroc Metro) who ran a series of champs and claimed the winner to be Interplannetary Modern Jive Champs! Now thats a titile to aspire to

So ... what you are saying is that if someone has a view that is contrary to yours, they don't have the right to declare that view? Interesting ......

Not through want of trying - i have tried really hard to rally the troops and muster the enthusiasm but it seems that this year the Advanced category is not meant to be!

Thread Information