Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tat on Ebay

Tat on Ebay

As a complete ebay addict I've had my share of excellent bargains on ebay but also, a plentiful supply of total tat that needs to go straight to the charity shop (from whence it probably came.)

Now I know that there is a feedback system but I don't think it works, probably because most people don't really like complaining and will just put a dodgy buy down to experience. After a string of items described as "excellent condition, hardly used" that turned out to be total cr*p I feel like giving these sellers the negative feedback they deserve, whether they've refunded or not. I can't even be bothered to go through the complaints process. After all, they've lied shamelessly about their item and other buyers deserve to be warned.

Trouble is, if I did that, possibly as many as 1 in 4 of my feedbacks might be neutral or negative. I hasten to add that my own feedback record is immaculate because I always tell the complete and unadorned truth about my items.

Any other Ebay aficionados out there with an opinion on this?

Re: Tat on Ebay

I've been quite lucky with the stuff I've bought from ebay. My kids love Next clothes and my youngest son, in particular, loves Next shirts, which are usually £15 to £18 new. I've managed to buy him about 10 immaculate Next shirts in the last year for aroung 99p each! (+p&p). I usually go for the ones that say something like "Only worn once to a wedding". They always turn up clean, immaculate and ironed.

If I'd only spent a few quid on something which didn't live up to the discription, I probably wouldn't bother giving negative feedback, but if it was something I'd spent a lot of money on, I'd have to take steps to get my money back.

I think ebay has changed over the past few years such that it is harder for seller's to give tit for tat negative feedback. I have only given it once, for a 12" single that was scratched and dirty and completely not as described. The seller gave tit for tat neg feedback but that didn't bother me as I'd rather he had the one blemish on his record to make people re-consider purchasing from him than have a blemish-free record myself (It did help that I'd been on ebay 5 years by that point - I think length of membership often helps people assess the trustworthiness of an ebayer too)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I feel like giving these sellers the negative feedback they deserve, whether they've refunded or not. I can't even be bothered to go through the complaints process. After all, they've lied shamelessly about their item and other buyers deserve to be warned.

Trouble is, if I did that, possibly as many as 1 in 4 of my feedbacks might be neutral or negative. I hasten to add that my own feedback record is immaculate because I always tell the complete and unadorned truth about my items.

Any other Ebay aficionados out there with an opinion on this?
    Ebay has protected buyers for some time for this reason - sellers can no longer leave negative feedback - this is supposed to encourage honesty in buyers feedback, so go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Ebay has protected buyers for some time for this reason - sellers can no longer leave negative feedback - this is supposed to encourage honesty in buyers feedback, so go for it.
    I'm planning to go for it - but somehow, when it comes to clicking the button, I still find it hard to do. And I've had rubbish items from people with 100% feedback records - can I be the very first person to have a problem with them? It doesn't really add up, which is why I wondered what other people did.

I reckon I've (over about 5 years) received several dozen items I was not happy with, but I've only left neut/neg feedback 3 times, and that was an effort. If this is replicated by every other buyer then it's keeping the problem covered up. If the item's been refunded (and even a fiver is worth pursuing under the circumstances) I have felt particular reluctance to leave bad feedback even though I think I should.

Part of the problem is due to sellers being willing to lie, part of it might be genuine mistakes and part of it is a difference in standards when describing articles, for example, any item that has been worn even once cannot be brand-new. But some sellers do not seem to be aware of these distinctions.

DT, several items I've bought recently have said "brand-new", "worn only once", "hardly worn" and all the usual cliches. But I'm glad you've been lucky.

I have given negative feedback a couple of times (before the change to protect buyers from tit for tat negative feedback), and did have one instance of nastiness from a buyer. However this all got sorted out when I went through ebay to complain and hopefully he got banned!

I'm more likely to give neutral feedback but try and explain in the comments what was good and bad (eg, I buy a lot of dance shoes online and have had occasions where the shoes were great, but service was nothing like promised). Unfortunately there isn't a lot of space allowed for comments which means people are limited to only a few comments. If I do have an issue with the item I'll always contact the buyer to complain & explain I'm likely to leave negative feedback - usually solves the problem or at least gives them a chance to come back and me chance to check I didn't misread the item listing.

What winds me up is if I leave a negative or neutral comments and then sellers contact me to try and get me to remove my rating. Why would I when it's the truth and explained why - then buyers can make up their own minds. I've had occasions where I've been offered refunds to retract feedback which is against ebay rules, and refunds for over and above the cost I paid for the item. That makes me even less likely to do so.

As a seller I always take lots of photos, and explain probably more than I need to so then there can be no come back afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    also, a plentiful supply of total tat that needs to go straight to the charity shop (from whence it probably came.)
    Sorry to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    As a seller I always take lots of photos, and explain probably more than I need to so then there can be no come back afterwards.
    This is what I look for, when buying on e bay and to date, I have not been disappointed. If you compare similar items for sale, the ones with plenty of photos and a detailed description, usually fetches the higher price, so it is defiantly worth taking lots of photos, and explaining probably

As a seller on ebay I bend over backwards to please people, and some are just horrid, no matter what you do you can't please them and they still leave neg. feed back, its very important to get good feedback as you listing will appear higher on the list when searching.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    As a seller on ebay I bend over backwards to please people, and some are just horrid, no matter what you do you can't please them and they still leave neg. feed back, its very important to get good feedback as you listing will appear higher on the list when searching.
    Blimey, Fletch, I bet even your cast-offs that you use for cleaning the floor with are nicer than some of the stuff I've received in the past. It just beats me what some people fondly imagine are worth selling.

(NB That's a compliment!)

I don't bend over backwards to please people I just make d*mn sure that I have described every single detail of an item that people might conceivably be interested in.

I listed a shirt as BNWT has it have the lables L as the shirt said on the lable and the measurments 48" chest, the guy who bought it contacted me to say, 'I cant go to the party this weekend cos of you this shirt is an extra large 48" chest' eeerrr yes thats what I said its 48" chest.

PayPal refunded him via my account and then he 'neg feed bakced' me

AR$E!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

what exactly is an extra large 48" ? is that because 48" seems much smaller from far away ? what a muppet

Now I have real fire

i have been looking for a second hand coal bunker, so I signed up to eBay automatic search facility

Nothing for the past 3 months, then this

Commercial Operator

I use ebay a fair bit. I buy consumables for my printers and a few items of electrical equipment for my p.a. systems. I've also brought catering items such as glasses. Occasionally I will buy the odd waistcoat. I've also sold the odd item.

I've had to be refunded via Paypal a few times when the items were not as described. I've found some sellers have been complete idiots and they usually end up being "no longer a registered user".

Just recently I was browsing ebay for computer stuff and came across a shop with the same name and spelling as the nickname a forumite used to use. That shop had dreadful feedback for items not delivered and non-communication. I looked back some time later and the shop had changed it's name. That user is no longer registered on ebay. Take a look here.

Moderators please note, as the name has changed I'm not "naming and shaming". I'm not naming at all!!

What's eBay?

When I first joined Ebay I received a pair of shoes that were too small & so I wanted to return them & get my money back. The seller then disappeared "no longer a registered user".
    So stopped using Ebay for a while but nowadays always check the feedback & I have been ok.

Everything i have bought on e bay has been in perfect condition

everything I have sold, has fetch at least twice as much as I was expecting

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    everything I have sold, has fetch at least twice as much as I was expecting
    I'm still amazed at how much I got for an MOT failure Discovery. And the guy who won it was chuffed to bits!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Im currently developing a market place system for Facebook. At the moment it is all fixed price, but an auction style system will come in to play a few months down the line.

I've had to think alot about a review system. I don't really want to go the same way ebay did, but I am thinking about going by experiance points.

You will gain points for every item you sell or buy sucsessfully and will lose say 10 points for every bad transaction.

I also want to be able to put a better dispute system in that is fair to everyone involved but that will be the hard part. What the winner of a dispute may think fair, the looser will think it's biased.

Any ideas more than welcome.

The app (beta (test) version) is at http://apps.facebook.com/fmarketbeta/ (mods feel free to delete link if it counts as advertising, but it is not money making in it's test form )

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Im currently developing a market place system for Facebook. )
    the no-check £100 maximum transaction value may be a stumbling block. I put an old fire place on e bay expecting ~ £50 it sold for over £400
    Paypal a big reason for e bays success

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    the no-check £100 maximum transaction value may be a stumbling block. I put an old fire place on e bay expecting ~ £50 it sold for over £400
    Paypal a big reason for e bays success
    Yep that is a probelm with them. I really don't want to use paypal because the way they operate is unethical and their fees are extrotionate.

Will look in to google checkouts, PPpay and the others out there. Facebook is developing it's own paypal like system (called credits) but they are yet to release full details.

Thread Information