Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with Lady Leaders

Re: Dancing with Lady Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    Am I the only one who read this and just went "awwwww!!!!!"
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by crystaltips View Post
    If ever we are in the same room, you're on!!
    Well, I'm in Scotland around Christmas (unless you are Perth, Australia).

I am a female lead - i learnt to lead then later i started to taxi, so i had to learn to follow the beginner moves at ceroc. Then three years after starting to dance i decided to learn to follow. It is now not such a rare occurance, but there can still be evenings when i only follow once or twice a night.

I had a hideous experience at Berko once, and i since have refused to go back - I, as a lead, wanted to lead, and of all the people i asked to dance, there were 2 women who didn't refuse me. I had the worst night of dancing ever, and if it wasn't for the fact i was there with some friends who picked me back up again, i probably wouldn't have ventured out of my local venue ever again. (Glad you picked me up again Fletch)

However now when i dance - i ask people i don't know, as well those that i do, i probably ask people i don't know more at my local venues though. I am always surprised (in a good way) when a female (that i don't know) asks me to lead her, but i would never refuse them, and often i really enjoy dancing with these new people, it gives me an opportunity to ask them again when i next see them.

The only draw back of being a female lead in mho, is that men who "think" they can follow, or want to learn, ask you to lead them, then want you to tell them how brilliant they are. I have no issues helping people, and giving tips if they are asked for (not suggesting i am, or have ever been the fountain of all dance knowledge). But there is a time and a place, and if men want to learn to follow - they'd be better doing it the old fashion way, like the ladies!!! There are obviously men who are wonderful follows, who are fantastic fun to lead, and whom i seek out. However what frodo said works both ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    ...my experience has been that (relative to their experience/interest level) ladies who frequently lead tend to be less pleasant to dance with (when they follow*) than those who rarely or never lead.
    *As in dance in that role.
    I am a lead - who since learnt to follow - i do not profess to be a follow - and certainly not an accomplished one If a man asks a female lead to dance, he should expect them to dance as a lead who may or may not follow fantastically. If the female lead turns out to be a brilliant follow as well - all the more fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Little 'un View Post
    I also find it fun more than technically pleasing... (??) :
    Ooooooh, la di da, aren't we vocal.lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Little 'un View Post
    I love having a laugh and being able to STICK IT TO THA MAN with the girlies...however, I find it very difficult to watch two women lost in blues together...
    You haven't watched cheeks and I, ask her about the dundee blues weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    I was thinking about the "two women dancing blues" aspect last night at the Rutherglen party. There was a definite shortage of men in the blues room, which led to a lot of "women dancing together" dances. Again, I've never had a problem dancing blues with another woman, but while I realised that someone else might not feel the same way, I'd never considered that they might actually find it difficult to watch two women dancing blues together.
    Two women dancing together in the Blues room? Shocking....
    I thought it was four
    Maybe that's why the guys ran...

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post

Well, I'm in Scotland around Christmas (unless you are Perth, Australia).
    See you at Christmas, I'll PM you nearer the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    I had a hideous experience at Berko once, and i since have refused to go back - I, as a lead, wanted to lead, and of all the people i asked to dance, there were 2 women who didn't refuse me. I had the worst night of dancing ever, and if it wasn't for the fact i was there with some friends who picked me back up again, i probably wouldn't have ventured out of my local venue ever again. (Glad you picked me up again Fletch)

This was terrible for me to watch, and I was discussed with there attitude, i'm not surprised you have not been back, why would you I can't imagine even if there attitude has chanced and people were pleasant to you, you would want to dance with them I would want to tell 'em to p!$$ off!

Your still the best female lead ever.

just a thought, remeber Ice on Jan 1st with Trouble, that was a fab end to that Xmas. xx

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoy being led by ladies, for me its a totally different feeling, of which I cannot explain

I can lead the basics in WCS and have been told I lead nicely. I don't mind leading in a teaching environment but in all honesty, I don't really enjoy the pressure during freestyle, as I like to 'switch off' and my biggest problem is floorcraft, I'm hopeless!

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    I had a hideous experience at Berko once, ~snip~ were 2 women who didn't refuse me. I had the worst night of dancing ever,

The only draw back of being a female lead in mho, is that men who "think" they can follow, or want to learn, ask you to lead them, then want you to tell them how brilliant they are.
    This made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Just a thought, remeber Ice on Jan 1st with Trouble, that was a fab end to that Xmas. xx
    I remember that night. It was great fun and I won a DVD player!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Cool Re: Dancing with Lady Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    i'm not surprised you have not been back, why would you I can't imagine even if there attitude has chanced and people were pleasant to you, you would want to dance with them I would want to tell 'em to p!$$ off!
    It's exactly this sort of nasty experience that should galvanise us dancers into action against stereotypes and homophobia that seems to still unfortunately be around in the dance scene in places. It's really down to us all to explain to concerned dancers that dancing is not about sex; in either definition of the word - gender or procreation.

Same sex dancing is no different than different sex dancing, unless you are looking at dance as some form of foreplay. Fortunately the vast majority of intelligent dancers are able to discern the difference between sex and dancing

If we want attitudes towards dancers to change, then it is beholding on us all to help change them isn't it? That, in part means, educating people who may feel uncomfortable or excluded(?) about what dancing is and what it ain't

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Same sex dancing is no different than different sex dancing, unless you are looking at dance as some form of foreplay. Fortunately the vast majority of intelligent dancers are able to discern the difference between sex and dancing
    Nonsense.

We are not androgynous, asexual creatures. We are not faceless or shapeless. In case you hadn't noticed, there are vast differences between men and women - it's genetic and the entire survival of the species depends on it.
    When dancing, we are expressing music and emotion. Primarily the baser, sexual emotions; love, lust, desire, attraction, anticipation, etc. As a species, we are encoded to look for and find these in the opposite sex. When dancing with a partner, we should be thinking on our partner: making them feel attractive, desirable, loved, and that they can dance. For a heterosexual, it is much easier if the person you are dancing with is at least a member of the opposite sex. It is even easier if there is something within your partner that you can find attractive.

Most folks don't feel entirely comfortable in their own skin with their own bodies: how can you expect them to be comfortable with anyone else's? Those that are comfortable with their own self tend to be the ones that are comfortable with anyone else, no matter the packaging.

Dancing is a form of foreplay - just as teasing is a form of foreplay. But just because it's foreplay doesn't mean you're out to get laid or that there is anything after it. That is the bit that it takes intelligence to realise.

If you are dancing without emotion, without feeling, then why are you dancing? Do you dance the same way with someone of the same sex as you would with your partner? If not, why not?

I don't; but I don't think it's because they are the same sex - I think it's about trust; I have not led enough men to get a proper 'feel' for how to lead them: they anticipate and react in a different way than women do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Dancing is a form of foreplay - just as teasing is a form of foreplay. But just because it's foreplay doesn't mean you're out to get laid or that there is anything after it. That is the bit that it takes intelligence to realise.
    I totally agree with this, which is why (apart from my sister, and I only dance with her if I'm desperate ) I've never asked another woman to dance. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever refuse if I was asked, but I'd much rather dance with a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever refuse if I was asked, but I'd much rather dance with a man.

I ask women to dance in a class situation if it's short of men, and wouldn't refuse if a a woman asked me to dance, but apart from a couple of friends where we might dance together as a bit of a laugh, I don't get the same emotion or feeling from a dance as I would from dancing with a man. I'd probably say that it's almost like the emotion switches off when dancing with a woman (probably helped by the fact that my leading girl friends and I can lead a technically proficient dance, but it's not about the music) which is what I want to reach when dancing with someone of the opposite sex.

Cool Re: Dancing with Lady Leaders

Nonsense.
    Your mileage may of course vary
    We are not androgynous, asexual creatures. We are not faceless or shapeless. In case you hadn't noticed, there are vast differences between men and women - it's genetic and the entire survival of the species depends on it.
    Thank you for pointing out that there are differences between men and woman... I wonder how I have managed to struggle by all this time without that info

I stand corrected on the popular consensus. Perhaps the fact that I am in a completely solid, secure, loving relationship means I am not in the slightest bit interested in playing 'fore' with people. I have had some amazing, emotional, mind boggling dances with follows other than my wife, but none of it is remotely sexual. Maybe Blues dancing (which tends to be my vast majority of dancing these days) lends itself more effectively to getting great connection with your partner using the music and playfulness of your partner alone *shrug* I dunno. What I do know is that our mileage DEFINITELY varies on this one Gadget (and all the people who thanked your comments).

If you are dancing without emotion, without feeling, then why are you dancing? Do you dance the same way with someone of the same sex as you would with your partner? If not, why not?
    Now this is a very interesting concept. It would appear that you are dismissing all emotion and feeling that is communicated within a dance, unless it is sexual. If it's not about the sexy then it's not worth even mentioning. It seems your argument is based upon the premise 'why would anyone want to dance with someone unless you are to some degree, getting your rocks off (*psst* but don't worry we're intelligent enough not to want to follow up on our lust off of the dance floor)!'

Maybe I should rephrase and say:
    For me, dancing is certainly NOT about sex... YMMV

Must agree with Stokie on this one dancing is just dancing. Too old for dancing and sex nowdays, me knee's aint up to it anymore pips.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Thank you for pointing out that there are differences between men and woman... I wonder how I have managed to struggle by all this time without that info
    That's the point - men and women are different. Fundamentally so. Why should dancing with them be the same?

Am I lacking in intellect because I find women more attractive than men?

Perhaps the fact that I am in a completely solid, secure, loving relationship means I am not in the slightest bit interested in playing 'fore' with people. I have had some amazing, emotional, mind boggling dances with follows other than my wife, but none of it is remotely sexual. Maybe Blues dancing (which tends to be my vast majority of dancing these days) lends itself more effectively to getting great connection with your partner using the music and playfulness of your partner alone *shrug* I dunno. What I do know is that our mileage DEFINITELY varies on this one Gadget (and all the people who thanked your comments).
    I didn't say it had to be sexual - just that to be a 'good' dance, you have to inject some emotion: When you're in close tactile proximity to someone; when you are trying to communicate the movements of the music; when you are trying to make your bodies move as one to the rhythm... the easiest emotions to draw upon are sexual. That's much easier to do with someone of the opposite sex. It's not the only emotion to draw upon and it's not the only way to generate a great connection, but it's the one that comes easiest.

I would guess that your relationship with your wife helps give you a solid core of "self" where other's opinions and superficial views of you have little impact - you are comfortable in your own skin. Your experience in dancing would give you the confidence of your own abilities on the floor and enough self-belief that any outsider's views of your actions (ie not your current partner) will have little impact.
    I would imagine that you can have a great connection with the music and convey it through to your partner with a finesse and clarity that makes a great dance... but I think that your dances with your wife would be better: you do not have part of you 'holding' that inner core during the dance: you can be free-er.

Question: What are you doing/ what is your partner doing when they are (in your words) "playing"? This "playfulness" - isn't it a tease? A flirtation? A sense of foreplay?

Now this is a very interesting concept. It would appear that you are dismissing all emotion and feeling that is communicated within a dance, unless it is sexual. If it's not about the sexy then it's not worth even mentioning. It seems your argument is based upon the premise 'why would anyone want to dance with someone unless you are to some degree, getting your rocks off (*psst* but don't worry we're intelligent enough not to want to follow up on our lust off of the dance floor)!'
    You seem to be confusing sexual gratification and foreplay - If a night ends in bed, does the foreplay start in bed? Does it start getting undressed? Does it start having an evening meal? does it start with flirtation at lunch time? Does it start wearing sexy undies when getting dressed in the morning? ... the build up and foreplay is fun. The tease and anticipation are what makes burlesque, strip clubs and lap-dancing clubs popular. I'm not dismissing anything else, I'm just pointing out the main emotional content for a dance will normally be sexual.
    And this does not automatically translate into "getting your rocks off": that's where slease starts. If you can't be sexual without being sleasy, then you shouldn't be dancing blues.

I would say that the communication (& emotion) within a dance has it's roots in the desire to connect with someone. To find someone that hears things like you do. That moves with you as you move with them. Is that sexual?

To find this connection in a dance we are one to one with another person. We use tactile senses to tell out partners where we are, where we are going and where we would like them to be. We use the most dexterous, agile and sensitive parts of our anatomy against each other; skin to skin. Is that sexual?

We try and time our movements with our partners so we can move as one. We blot out the rest of the world and focus on our partner exclusively. We feel their weight, their movements, their motion through our own bodies. We react to them and for them. Is that sexual?

No, it doesn't have to be. But it is very easy to make it sexual. And the easiest route to emotion is through this sexual connection. And it's emotion that makes a good dance "great".

Maybe I should rephrase and say:
    For me, dancing is certainly NOT about sex... YMMV
    Nor me.

It's about foreplay
    Compared to the foreplay, sex is over way too soon - you can have days of foreplay for only an hours worth of sex.

--------
    Returning to the original point of this thread:
    Women can take a hug from another woman as a hug. They can hold hands, cuddle, snuggle, grope boobs, and generally be a lot more tactile and open about physical contact with other women. (With very little stigma or fear of being 'branded' as a lesbian).
    Men generally can't do any of that with another man without being openly branded as gay. Men do any of these with a woman and they are branded as an item (unless the first branding has taken hold, then they get away with being an honorary girlie.)

So I think women dancing with women is nothing new (you seldom find it any other way in night clubs) and almost a part of our culture. But the dance is seldom the same as a woman dancing with a man:
    Sometimes it's much raunchier because they feel safer and secure that their partner knows it's just a dance.
    Sometimes it's much tamer because they don't feel anything towards the lead that they normally do.
    Last edited by Gadget; 5th-November-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Gadget do not take this personally but not everybody has the same point of view as you.

There are people who dance just for the pleasure of dancing. Just my point of view mate.

DTS XXX XXX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 5th-November-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Can't be bothered really.

Commercial Operator

I can see that moment right now. Your eyes meet across a crowded dance hall, before that affirmative nod, you both have a furtive glance around to make sure it's not somebody elses eyes that are the attraction. You manoeuvre your way through the heaving masses to take up an awkward embrace. Then I ask the other man that vital question, "Who's leading?"

Well it doesn't always happen like that, but on the occasions I dance with other men, it does seem to happen more by chance than pre-intention. With lack of practice, I don't think my following skills are now worthy of asking anyone, men or ladies, to lead me. Unless they are friends who understand that it will be more of an instructional dance, than letting it all flow.

I prefer dancing with women, whether I'm leading or following, but there is that element of "being up for a laugh" when dancing with other men, and there is the chance to experience dips and drops when following a man, which many lady leaders wouldn't be comfortable with.
    As far as asking someone of the same sex is concerned, I think it's not so very different, just that the hurdle is a bit higher (like it might be when trying to get a dance with the most popular dancer in the room.) People who've been around the scene a long time are unlikely to be surprised, and if it's not their thing, that's fair enough.
    I think it is more unusual for men to be asking other men, simply because generally there are more ladies at dances. I sometimes feel a bit miffed when there are no ladies free, but they are dancing together. I'm sure the same is true for ladies left sitting out when men are dancing together.

There are exceptions, but my experience has been that (relative to their experience/interest level) ladies who frequently lead tend to be less pleasant to dance with (when they follow*) than those who rarely or never lead.
    This is not my experience at all, maybe I've been lucky in that lady leaders I've danced with have mostly been exceptional all round dancers.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Gadget do not take this personally but not everybody has the same point of view as you.

There are people who dance just for the pleasure of dancing. Just my point of view mate.
    It would be a boring place if everyone held the same view
    It so happens that personally I do try to lead men in the same way as I do women. Now I do. I didn't and became aware that I didn't, so I examined why and took a hard look at my own dancing. :shrug:

Approaching it from a different angle:
    We only willingly get into someone else's personal space (out with dancing) when we...
    A) ... are fighting.
    B) ... love the other person.
    C) ... want to "get our rocks off".

Dancing with a partner is a unique class of it's own. It takes elements of each of these forms of close contact:
    A) the focus on your partner and acting/reacting to their movements.
    B) the sharing of trust and security with another person.
    C) the attraction and chemistry towards another person.

You can dance with any of these elements individually, or a combination of them. Everyone is an individual; every dance and every partner changes this mix slightly. Gender is just another variable that influences how the mix is altered - If you cut one area your dancing is strong in, then you have to compensate in the other areas to have as good a dance as you can. If you can't (/don't know how to) give any more in the other areas, then you are crippling yourself by reducing one.

{Thinking on this during the commute this morning I appreciate that most folk don't ask 'why' all the time and don't over analyse, but that does not make any of us right or wrong: enjoyment of dancing does not depend on answering all the whys involved in a dance. }

* edit ~ D) ... are helping the other person... but I'm not sure; this could be classed as a passing 'love' of your fellow man.

This is a good thread.

Interesting to read the different strands of discussion. I come from a very similar camp as Stokie in that I don't follow and, broadly, can see few challenges in same-sex dancing. For me dancing is not a prelude to sex (and therefore it's not foreplay - which is actually stimulation prior to intercourse). I do flirt and tease when I'm dancing, but this kind of interaction is not confined to foreplay. Interestingly, I flirt and tease far more in normal life now than I ever did before I started dancing - maybe a topic for another thread.

I prefer to dance with the opposite sex. I've had some good dances with men, mostly in a spirit of fun, butI've never felt the level of connection with a man that I seem to find easily with women. I haven't really tried to analyse this, and have no need to change it either. I can easily satisfy my dancing needs with the ready supply of ladies at most venues (none of which I take for granted of course).

I've never danced blues with a man but I would be happy to give this a try. Until I do I'm not sure whether I'd approach this the same way I do when dancing blues with a woman, I'd hope so since I believe that I dance every bit the same with ladies regardless of how physically attractive I find them (dancing not being about sex), but the proof is in the pudding. Until then I know that I'll simply not give this whole area a second thought and just enjoy the dances I get.

Agente Secreto
    Licensed to Dance

There are exceptions, but my experience has been that (relative to their experience/interest level) ladies who frequently lead tend to be less pleasant to dance with (when they follow*) than those who rarely or never lead.

*As in dance in that role.
    Can you explain what it is that makes them less pleasant? Since I'm trying, very slowly, to learn at the moment, it would be very useful to know what pitfalls to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Can you explain what it is that makes them less pleasant? Since I'm trying, very slowly, to learn at the moment, it would be very useful to know what pitfalls to avoid.
    I'm not the person who originally made the comment but I'll have a go at answering it anyway.

It's the same thing you often find in male leads who are following, they have a tendency to try and anticipate over following what is lead (I was, and possibly still am, in the same board). This sometimes manifests by backleading especially through raising their own hand up for turns and such.

You often notice a tendency for them to be a "heavier" follower as well, giving a fairly strong downward connection to your hand rather than just letting it mostly relax.

Following is learning a new skill though, and if they persist in it then you tend to find these habits go away.

Thread Information