Thread: Exercise Program for dancers - where?

Exercise Program for dancers - where?

hi

..was just browsing out of interest on the web and have come up so far with surprisingly little on how, for example, the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing keep themselves fit (along with the dancing, of course).

Anyone know any good links please?

G

Re: Exercise Program for dancers - where?

I was just thinking last night that I'd like to improve my flexiblity. So far I'd just been thinking stretches etc - but any other tips welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I was just thinking last night that I'd like to improve my flexiblity. So far I'd just been thinking stretches etc - but any other tips welcome.
    I'd guess Yoga and Pilates would be a good start.

While browsing the web for Yoga I noticed a variety termed 'Naked-Yoga'

Belly Dancing Workouts are fantastic, not to be mixed up with Belly Dancing, a great workout plus you get a chance to learn body isolations too

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    many dancers I used to work with used pilates as it gave strength and flex - I love doing it as it is very focused, there is also Alexander technique and feldinkrist(sp?)

some dancers who were really struggling would do gymnastics gym work.

Ballet also has a whole range of stretches designed to strength and and build flex - although these are based on turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    many dancers I used to work with used pilates as it gave strength and flex - I love doing it as it is very focused, there is also Alexander technique and feldinkrist(sp?)
    I really rate Pilates for core strength though it probably needs to be combined with other forms of exercise for an overall workout. Yoga is probably just as good, providing quite a lot of physical challenge with body awareness and focus.

The Alexander technique, I think, is based on a slow process of adjusting posture and body use by visualisation and manipulation. Great - but on its own I don't see how it could build dance fitness.

I had never heard of the Feldenkrais method so I looked it up.Even if you could find a class it doesn't seem very clear what you would learn nor how it is different from Pilates or the Alexander technique. Again, I think that if that was the only exercise you ever did it wouldn't be enough to build a dancer's body. Professional dancers appear to do it as a means of refining and correcting technique and relieving injuries.

http://www.dulwichtherapyrooms.co.uk...hod/4535569812

It did remind me though that a number of good leaders have a background in martial arts - they develop strength, flexibility and balance, which can't be bad.

Ballet also has a whole range of stretches designed to strength and and build flex - although these are based on turn out.
    I think ballet is really beneficial to a tango dancer because it helps with strength, balance and physical awareness, but the rigid and unnatural postures it encourages can look a bit out of place if you're trying to do blues or a funky jive. I'd still recommend it overall, though.
    Last edited by DavidY; 29th-October-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Classic jogging for me and situps (they really do work) plus walking around for a long time really can burn off those calories

also following Jay Jay's success, the wii fit is a brilliant piece of exercise equipment and is fun to use..i'm hopefully getting on next week, the new wii fit plus..cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I really rate Pilates for core strength though it probably needs to be combined with other forms of exercise for an overall workout. Yoga is probably just as good, providing quite a lot of physical challenge with body awareness and focus.

The Alexander technique, I think, is based on a slow process of adjusting posture and body use by visualisation and manipulation. Great - but on its own I don't see how it could build dance fitness.

I had never heard of the Feldenkrais method so I looked it up.Even if you could find a class it doesn't seem very clear what you would learn nor how it is different from Pilates or the Alexander technique. Again, I think that if that was the only exercise you ever did it wouldn't be enough to build a dancer's body. Professional dancers appear to do it as a means of refining and correcting technique and relieving injuries.
    with all of these - how many times you do it a week is important - most dancers I worked with as a stage manager would do it - which ever of the 3 - at least every day - sometimes twice a day. I prefered pilates to yoga and the others as found it more absorbing due to the effort required to move parts of my body with different muscles to normal.

they are all pretty similar, but different when you actually do them - I could never get the right focus for Feldenkrais or Alexander.

It did remind me though that a number of good leaders have a background in martial arts - they develop strength, flexibility and balance, which can't be bad.
    very true!! surfers also often make good dancers

I think ballet is really beneficial to a tango dancer because it helps with strength, balance and physical awareness, but the rigid and unnatural postures it encourages can look a bit out of place if you're trying to do blues or a funky jive. I'd still recommend it overall, though.
    ballet is good for all the things you mentioned - especially arm lines - but the turn out used is very un-natural to the body and can put a significant strain on hips, knees and ankles. and then there is ballet waddle hehehehe
    Last edited by Yliander; 29th-October-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    with all of these - how many times you do it a week is important - most dancers I worked with as a stage manager would do it - which ever of the 3 - at least every day - sometimes twice a day.
    It would be fab to have the time & energy to do a class every day!

....and then there is ballet waddle hehehehe
    It's got to be better than massive-beer-belly waddle!

I think I'll try Pilates. For me, its flexibility, not just fitness, that I'm aiming to improve. Will have a look for a local class.

OK I'm feeling guilty now. I attempted yoga, but didn't get very far...

How many sit ups per day do you do Mini Mac? I think my middle needs the mostwork

Ta WT

Ok, cheers.. guys.

Just tried yoga class at my local gym - not what I expected - pretty chilled & once the incense stick was blown out at the beginning fairly non-spritual, interesting :-)

G

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Pilates is great. I go once a week and think its really helped my flexibility. However for exercise/fitness i go swimming 5 times a week and dance a couple of times a week....seems to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    Ok, cheers.. guys.

Just tried yoga class at my local gym - not what I expected - pretty chilled & once the incense stick was blown out at the beginning fairly non-spritual, interesting :-)

G
    I love my new yoga class. Run by a very serene but authoritative Indian lady who plays weird Asian humming music. We don't have incense but we do get to do alternate nostril breathing and get in touch with our inner selves quite a lot. Far out!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    hi

..was just browsing out of interest on the web and have come up so far with surprisingly little on how, for example, the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing keep themselves fit (along with the dancing, of course).

Anyone know any good links please?

G

09/11/2009

GET STRICTLY FIT WITH FITNESS FIRST

Fitness First has joined forces with BBC Worldwide to launch Strictly Fit group exercise classes based on the sexy and glamorous hit BBC TV show Strictly Come Dancing.

The classes are designed to inspire you to dance yourself strictly fit, using moves from dances like the cha cha cha, waltz, quickstep, salsa and jive, with many of these set to songs from the show.

The emphasis is on aerobic moves and a low impact workout with moves inspired by Strictly Come Dancing – the perfect opportunity to enjoy a Strictly Fitter you.

“The nation is already gripped by Strictly Come Dancing and now everyone can get involved – and get fit at the same time,’’ said Derek Crawford, UK National Fitness Manager for the country’s largest gym group. “We are expecting this to be the most popular class we have ever launched so get ready for Strictly Fit to sweep the country.’’

Strictly Fit is the first class to be available for non members and members alike. Classes are free to members and for a limited period non members can purchase a five class pass for £25 by visiting www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/strictly.

Article in the Daily Mail today

Thread Information