Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westlife!! Grrr!!

Westlife!! Grrr!!

So watching Xfactor last night....happy as larry... and on come WESTLIFE. With their new release (copy) of one of my favourite songs - "What about now" by Daughtry. I cannot believe that they are covering this and probably will be claiming ownership of it. And I'm sure you'll agree they are also compleeteelllyyy ruining the song with their big horrible copy cat wrecking ball.

Surely "bands" like westlife should be called tribute acts? Rather than giving the impression they have some kind of talent...?

P.s. I don't like Westlife.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Westlife!! Grrr!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Little 'un View Post
    So watching Xfactor last night....happy as larry... and on come WESTLIFE. With their new release (copy) of one of my favourite songs - "What about now" by Daughtry. I cannot believe that they are covering this and probably will be claiming ownership of it. And I'm sure you'll agree they are also compleeteelllyyy ruining the song with their big horrible copy cat wrecking ball.

Surely "bands" like westlife should be called tribute acts? Rather than giving the impression they have some kind of talent...?

P.s. I don't like Westlife.

Why do all of there songs (including the high percentage of covers they do) always have a truck drivers gear change at the end (suddenly and for no reason changing key of the song in to a higher one for no apparent reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Why do all of there songs (including the high percentage of covers they do) always have a truck drivers gear change at the end (suddenly and for no reason changing key of the song in to a higher one for no apparent reason)

FUEL TO THE FIRE.

Never noticed this before...probably because I can't stand to listen to the beginning of any Westlife songs never mind venture to the end of the song!! Haha, but it's probably what the big cheese at the top tells them to do....

Also, X-factor announced them to have "been at the top of the charts for more than a decade..."

Bullls**t!!!

Well I wouldn't say it's for no reason at all... The Beatles (amongst many other top artists) used and use key changes to add emphasis and interest to a song - it's also a great way to build towards a crescendo. Can't say I've listened to their songs enough to know it's something they always do.

Besides I know my Mum liked the song very much and I doubt she'd be so enamoured of the Daughtery version..

Isn't that a standard boy band thing... esp if they are sitting on stools for the song, then all stand for the key change?

Formulaic yes, but it seems to sell...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Isn't that a standard boy band thing... esp if they are sitting on stools for the song, then all stand for the key change?

Formulaic yes, but it seems to sell...
    And where else are they supposed to bring the choir in

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    And where else are they supposed to bring the choir in
    It's actually where the author of the song has got so bored of his own song he (or she) has given up on writting anymore so pads out the last minute with a gear change.

Infact can anyone name a song where the gear change makes the song better?

Not quite the same maybe - but that part in 'The things we do for love' (10cc) where it changes works well.

(That was played at 70s freestyle on Sat night and the volume went a bit funny - or it could have been the record, I know some of the tracks that evening were played on vinyl - and guy I was dancing with and I sang that part, music kicked back in just where it changed. Well I say 'sang', its pretty much a climbing 'woooh' at that bit, but we sang it!)

Commercial Operator

It's actually where the author of the song has got so bored of his own song he (or she) has given up on writting anymore so pads out the last minute with a gear change.

One of the few exanmples would be "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi. There is something added by the key change.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Crazy crazy nights by kiss too.

Commercial Operator

The key change that allways springs to my mind is the one towards the end of Karma Police by Radiohead

I agree its very overused and a lot of the time just being lazy (and you're right, Westlife are a joke with it). Man in the Mirror and I Will Always Love You are good ones though. Born To Try gets my worst vote; nothing worse than not actually being able to hit the new high note all that well

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I agree its very overused and a lot of the time just being lazy (and you're right, Westlife are a joke with it). Man in the Mirror and I Will Always Love You are good ones though. Born To Try gets my worst vote; nothing worse than not actually being able to hit the new high note all that well

Yeah they are a joke, because using it once or twice is nearly acceptable...but in every song?? Its just like their songs start the same, end the same and they are just changing the bit in the middle each time...

And the sheep just keep on followin' em!

Blog Entries

All the way through The Snake?

Blog Entries

And the sheep just keep on followin' em!
    It's like any other kind of cheesy pop though - it has its time and place. Sometimes it's fun to bleat your wee heart out, key changes and all... now where did I put my Westlife CD? Maaa!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    now where did I put my Westlife CD?
    In the bin?

It's like any other kind of cheesy pop though - it has its time and place. Sometimes it's fun to bleat your wee heart out, key changes and all... now where did I put my Westlife CD? Maaa!
    Underneath your cup of coffee?? That's about the only good use for a westlife cd...hehehe

I did hear tell that Westlife (or possibly one of the other offenders) did once consider "Stand up for the key change" as an album title.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    In the bin?
    Underneath your cup of coffee?? That's about the only good use for a westlife cd...hehehe
    *strikes names off Christmas card list*

*strikes names off Christmas card list*

Westlife Christmas Tinsel Cards?

Nooooo

Hhehehe..

Thread Information