• yes and thinking about taking part

0 0%
  • its grim 'up north'

2 11.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Midlands Champs 21st Nov 2009

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Midlands Champs 21st Nov

Agreed, although on another major competition website for June 2009, they were asking for the music by April 2008. I think (in both cases) there might be some copy/paste issues
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Consider scoring, I believe that using raw scores means that judges who apply a high differential between the lowest and highest score have a disproportionate influence over the result. That's why I use relative placement. All the other MJ competitions use raw scores as far as I can ascertain. I've published the method we use for Britrock and have given blanket permission for it to be used at other competitions. That was 6 years ago ...
    I agree that raw scores have a significant potential for one judge to have more influence than another. However relative placement also has problems, as it doesn't allow a judge to say just how much one couple is better than another, or how close they are.

My personal preference is to use normalised scores, where the judges award raw scores as they see fit, and the scrutineer then makes sure that the average and spread of each judge's marks are the same

In practice it makes very little difference - at least in my experience. When I scrutineer a competition, I use the normalised scores to produce the result. However I also use the raw scores and relative placement as a way of checking the results. It is very rare that there is a difference in the result from the three methods.

Commercial Operator Mike Allsopp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    But asking for the music in April for a competition in November is a bit keen.
    My fault, for continuity I lift the rules from The Nationals site, looks like I should have amended that bit...but I bet you guessed that anyway

Mike
    Sledge Hammer....Trust me, I know what I'm doing!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I agree that raw scores have a significant potential for one judge to have more influence than another. However relative placement also has problems, as it doesn't allow a judge to say just how much one couple is better than another, or how close they are.
    I think that would only be relevant if the scores were being added to a total for future use. MJ competitions are there to find a 1st, 2nd & 3rd placed couple. How much better a judge thought a couple was should not be considered as it could then impact on the placement - in other words, one would have a greater impact on the final positions than another judge.

I agree that most methods will usually find the same winner. However, there is always a suspicion of judging bias in any competition. The use of relative placement means that judges can only have one vote. Any scoring method that takes into account the spread of voting given by a judge means that a judge can have more or less than one vote.

The Dashing Moderator

I'm unexpectedly free all day on Saturday - does anyone know if it's too late to enter the competitions?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm unexpectedly free all day on Saturday - does anyone know if it's too late to enter the competitions?
    Have yet to see a comp that didn't have room for another male in lucky dip at the very least - giving Mike a call would be the best way to find out

look forward to seeing you there

Re: Midlands Champs 21st Nov - Last Minute Cheap Accommodation Offer!

I have a last minute offer of a double bedroom one night stay in the Holiday Inn Express, just two miles from the competition venue in Stoke. Just £30 now (down from original £50) - can't do the competition anymore as my wife is ill.
    I've stayed there before and though quite small, the accommodation is very clean and the staff are friendly.
    Please reply to this message if you are interested. Thanks!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by unclepigg View Post
    I have a last minute offer of a double bedroom one night stay in the Holiday Inn Express, just two miles from the competition venue in Stoke. Just £30 now (down from original £50) - can't do the competition anymore as my wife is ill.
    I've stayed there before and though quite small, the accommodation is very clean and the staff are friendly.
    Please reply to this message if you are interested. Thanks!
    I hope your Missus recovers soon...

CJ

I want to compete in advanced/open !!!!!!!

x
    Just hope i get a good DWAS partner

Well, the time is nearly here! Fab news about putting in the Advanced section - I'm sure the competitors will be very grateful!

Good luck everyone and I look foward to hearing the feedback.

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm finalising the spreadsheet this evening so if you could book before 7pm it would be a massive help (as I don't want to miss Emmerdale!

Mike

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allsopp View Post
    I'm finalising the spreadsheet this evening so if you could book before 7pm it would be a massive help (as I don't want to miss Emmerdale!

Mike
    I think I'll be parked on the M6 at 7pm. If I'm not still parked on the M25.

Oh, is it too late to mention how little practice we've had? Sarah and I have talked on the 'phone about moves. Does that count as practice? Otherwise we've had no practice at all. I hope there's someone who can show me how Ceroc do their beginners moves.

I think I'll be parked on the M6 at 7pm. If I'm not still parked on the M25.

Oh, is it too late to mention how little practice we've had? Sarah and I have talked on the 'phone about moves. Does that count as practice? Otherwise we've had no practice at all. I hope there's someone who can show me how Ceroc do their beginners moves.
    I'm sure you'll let me know at the earliest opportunity.

Good luck, with or without practice

I'm sure Mike will post all the winning places in due cause, but the bits I can remember.

Aerials, 1st Hurbie

Showcase 1st Dannie (Harry) & Jenny

Advanced Paul and DD+

Ceroc X 1st Alex Faulkner & Kelly

Intermediate Tom & Jo

Veterans, Diane Dench and Trevor

DAWAS Alex Faulkner & Bev

i'm not sure iv got it right now?

I had a fab day.

I would like to to say a big BIG thank you to Mike Allsop and the judges for letting Joe and Emily to enter the intermediates after the Junior section was cancelled.

They had a fab day and loved every moment, I think they were worthy entrants and held there own, they went further than we were expecting.

need to try and get them in the London champs

Joe went into DWAS last moment when they were looking for an extra man, he got Kelly, it realy made a difference they shone.

The judges did a fab job I thought they were spot on, only one surprise, Filthy Monkey and Danni didn't get placed

Its hard to get dances when your a spectator every one is busy practising chatting or resting, thank you to the DJ who put some 'handbag' tracks on so I got a few dances.

The day went very smooth after a strange way of putting the DWAS together?

Mike dose a good job as compare, dosn't waffel and moves it along, good job.

and its only 2 junktions from me, OMG

Commercial Operator

Sarah and I had a fabulous day. Mike did a brilliant job as compere The day flowed really well and I mostly agreed with the judges

I got a lovely lady, Rachel, in the Lucky Dip and she carried me all the way to the final but I couldn't get her into the medals - those young, fit guys were too good for me

Fletch looked fabulous but she must be slowing down as I counted only 4 outfits - I had 4 outfits myself!

It was a long drive and I got to bed at 4.45am. I'm teaching a 4 hour workshop at 2pm - what did I do? My stomach muscles are killing me*

*I think it's because I'm neither "young" nor "fit"

Fletch looked fabulous but she must be slowing down as I counted only 4 outfits - I had 4 outfits myself!

yes hun, but I think we had seen all your 'out fits' before

ooo fletch you bitch

you reminded me of an advert thats on the tv at the moment for Heinz, there's a young lad sliding across the floor at a wedding

She did you proud Andy

An enjoyable day and congratulations to all the competitors and the winners. In particular a huge congratulations to DD+ and Paul, you two really deserved your win. Congratulations also to MarkW and his dance partner on your placings, you guys had some lovely moves. Fletch's son Joe is a star in the making, he is also a lovely lad with it as well.

Well done to Mike Allsop who I think did a fine job of making the day, albeit a long one, go smoothly.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

It was indeed a very enjoyable day- hats off to Mike for a well run and organised dayand also to the competitors that came alonf and supported the advanced category (thanks Mike)

Firstly thank you so much to those that supported us throughout the day-it lifts your spirits so high when you can hear people cheering for you and luckily enough it helped us win 1st in the Advanced-myself and Paul have worked really hard over the past year and finally it seems to have paid off

Fletch your son Jo was amazing and you should be a very proud mum as he held his own out there on the floor amongst some good competition-he is definately a star in the making and a lovely lad all round

The overall competition was much busier than last year which was great but still had a fabulous atmosphere. Had a brilliant tag dance in which there was a few collisions of heads and i think that David B and Aleks will have bumps to prove it

Off for an early night now - brian is still on a high but body is totally knackered

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Off for an early night now - brian is still on a high but body is totally knackered
    What have you done with Paul!?

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    What have you done with Paul!?
    Sorry - I call him Brian or Gary in the bedroom

Thread Information