2 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midlands Champs 21st Nov 2009

Midlands Champs 21st Nov 2009

Its that time of year again

Midlands Champs 21st November

wonderful Kings Hall Stoke on Trent.

I was wondering who's going and who's taking part

I have ticked i'm competing but its Joe not me he is dancing with Emily Atwood.......

Re: Midlands Champs 21st Nov

im there and entering the dwas and stopping at ur fletch on the friday lol,

just need to book now

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    im there and entering the dwas and stopping at ur fletch on the friday lol,

just need to book now
    I'm sorting people out at the moment, so far I have Halo (sarah) you, Alex Faulkner, Kelly.

Debbie has Halesown on the night before...........party, party

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I'm sort people out at the moment, so far I have Halo (sarah) you, Alex Faulkner, Kelly.

i think kelly wants her spray done at urs on the friday lol

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Whats the details of the website for it? I know im lazy.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Whats the details of the website for it? I know im lazy.
    http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/midlandschamps.htm
    Love dance, will travel

Not too sure on this one yet - Love the atmosphere at this event tho!
    Shame there is no Doubles or Advanced catagory as we arent ready for the Open yet and cant compete in the intermediates and its such a long way and expense to go just to do Ceroc X

Would anyone else be interested in an advanced catagory?

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Not too sure on this one yet - Love the atmosphere at this event tho!
    Shame there is no Doubles or Advanced catagory as we arent ready for the Open yet and cant compete in the intermediates and its such a long way and expense to go just to do Ceroc X

Would anyone else be interested in an advanced catagory?
    I/we would be interested in this.

[Back story: won Rocvets in London this year, never placed although I have reached finals (just scraped in) at intermediate level in years gone by with other partners; believe I'm on the fringes of Advanced - not a serious likely winner but weird things can happen in competition; we decided to do Adv because - and this is only our opinion - the Intermediate standards are getting too high and couples are clinging on too long in that category waiting to win. Result: Advanced competitions dwindle away and the Intermediate becomes advanced and puts off new competitors who take one look and think "No chance!"]

So, yes, I'd be happy to compete with you again in an Advanced even though we'd have to perform out of our skins to match up to you.

Maybe a two couple showdown final in an amphitheatre-like atmosphere [Christians v lions!!]

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I/we would be interested in this.

xxx
    If we can get some more i think Mike would consider opening a catagory

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    [Back story: won Rocvets in London this year, never placed although I have reached finals (just scraped in) at intermediate level in years gone by with other partners; believe I'm on the fringes of Advanced - not a serious likely winner but weird things can happen in competition; we decided to do Adv because - and this is only our opinion - the Intermediate standards are getting too high and couples are clinging on too long in that category waiting to win. Result: Advanced competitions dwindle away and the Intermediate becomes advanced and puts off new competitors who take one look and think "No chance!"
    I thought this when I dreamt up the categories and rules for Britrock many years ago. Putting it simply, the intermediates are for amateurs, if you have won anything except DWAS in any of the national Modern Jive competitions you can not enter the intermediates at Britrock. This means you are forced by the rules to enter the Advanced or the Open - which is where you belong once your trophy cabinet starts to fill up.

I see the intermediates as the place for novice competitors or those still to make their mark in competition. And it's the place to stay while you are gaining competition experience. The Advanced is the Open for amateurs who are good dance competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

I see the intermediates as the place for novice competitors or those still to make their mark in competition. And it's the place to stay while you are gaining competition experience. The Advanced is the Open for amateurs who are good dance competitors.
    Its such a shame that all competitions dont have the "Advanced" or something between Intermediates and Open as it unfair on us that sit in the middle. At every Comp i have been to there are couples that stay in the intermediates just because they have never won it!

Come on people join us in advanced!

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    If we can get some more i think Mike would consider opening a catagory
    We have entered the Intermediate [and the seniors] this time (as no Advanced and we're by no means so good that it's embarassing or unfair to compete at Intermediates - maybe one day if I keep on eating my "five a day"). I need to check with my dance partner but I'm fairly sure we'd be prepared to switch to Advanced any time right up to the day itself.

Rereading my above post it comes across a bit preachy. Obviously, anyone eligible under the comp rules is free to enter at whatever level they want and I would never complain about that. No Advanced comp does mean the judges are unlikely to promote a couple - I've seen this done twice from Intermed to Adv and it was absolutely the right decision both times.

Last year's Midlands Champs did have a lovely atmosphere and it's really worth joining in if you can.

It is indeed one of the more friendly champs there are and IMHO very well run throughout the day.

Sadly we cannot compete in the intermediates as we have placed in Advanced catagory so its all a matter of weighing it up to see if the costs balance the call of doing just Ceroc X.

I fully understand that there is no point in putting in a catagory that will not have many competitors but think that the rules on the "who should enter intermediates" perhaps be reviewed to ensure a more even spread across catagories.

If we do make it up please come over and say Hi Mark (cant miss me with black spikey hair) and if not i wish you the very best of luck

Commercial Operator

It's an age old issue and it is one of the few things that genuinely sickens me. I hate seeing well and truly advanced dancers skiving about in the inters category. I mean no disrespect to the inters category, but we all know people in there that belong in advanced.

By not moving up when they should, not only have they hijacked the inters category but they've put a nail in the coffin for the Advanced competitors, too...

If Mike is reading this, I would love to see an Advanced category. I would also like to see more couples moved up into the appropriate place...

OK, I'll shut up now...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    OK, I'll shut up now...
    .. so will I, once I've had the last word

The other category which I believe needs it's entry criteria changed is the Seniors. At present every competition except Weston has a "no teachers or professionals" clause. However, the prime factor in this category is about age, not ability or experience, etc. Besides, most older people have been dancing for many years and the gap in dance skill between dance teacher and dancer is mostly in the mind.

As someone who is 53 and a dance teacher there really is nowhere in this competition for me to compete except DWAS and possibly Ceroc X. The Open usually has lifts which can injure an old git like me.

I'm going to see what I can do about changing Britrock. How about a similar change elsewhere?

Speaking personally, I am free on Saturday 21st November and did consider making the trip for this competition. If I could have entered the Old Gits I would definitely have come. I'm still thinking about it as I do love a competition - not just because it's an excuse to buy new shoes

The Open usually has lifts which can injure an old git like me.
    I'll note that the Open category also has Tom and Vicki winning without doing any lifts whatsoever. And that pretty much every judge says lifts aren't necessary, and are probably detrimental.

I think that particular excuse has had its day.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I think that particular excuse has had its day.
    OK, I'll think of a new excuse. How about "I'm too old to compete with those young 'uns". After all, the Seniors is there for older people for a very good reason. And I've got old, I could have been competing as an Old Git for the last 8 years - thank goodness I've kept my looks

It's an age old issue and it is one of the few things that genuinely sickens me. I hate seeing well and truly advanced dancers skiving about in the inters category. I mean no disrespect to the inters category, but we all know people in there that belong in advanced.

By not moving up when they should, not only have they hijacked the inters category but they've put a nail in the coffin for the Advanced competitors, too...

If Mike is reading this, I would love to see an Advanced category. I would also like to see more couples moved up into the appropriate place...

OK, I'll shut up now...
    Oh goody, the old argument is back!

How right you are CJ! Lots of couples continue to compete at intermediates, because technically, they are able, but it doesn't mean that it's right.. Until someone has the whit to change the rules, it will continue.......

Elaine

OK, I'll think of a new excuse. How about "I'm too old to compete with those young 'uns". After all, the Seniors is there for older people for a very good reason. And I've got old, I could have been competing as an Old Git for the last 8 years - thank goodness I've kept my looks
    and i'v been 28 for 19 years

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

I fear I'm in the minority on this one, who is anyone to say that someone should compete at the advanced level instead of intermediate until they have won/gathered enough points to make them progress?

Advanced to someone is someone elses intermediate, it really is a matter of opinion

Dances such as ballroom, latin and WCS all have a very defined path about what constitutes what level, normally meaning you have to gain so many points or win som many competitions before you have to move up (these also tend to be tied into how many competitors compete). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same thing in the modern jive world. Until modern jive sorts this out and has some central points registry body I think you'll always have this arguement.

After all we'd all love to win a competition, the feeling when you do is very special, so why not stay in the category you're allowed to until you have won or placed a certain amount of times. If I was to ever a modern jive competition I'd feel well within my rights to enter at intermediate level although am sure I'd get quite a lot of abuse from folk for doing this.

CJ - I'd love to know the criteria you'd have for moving people up to the "appropriate" place.

Thread Information