Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Little Bit of Politics – BNP on Question Time

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: A Little Bit of Politics – BNP on Question Time

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well, I think that Godwins law is even more likely to be true in threads about right wing nazi sympathisers!

PS: Not sure who "we" refers to? Do you mean all the members of this Forum?
    Well, I'm surprised you've not noticed the many mentions of godwins law in the last few years.

and ahem... "The corollaries of [Godwins law] would presumably not apply to discussions covering genocide, propaganda, or other mainstays of the Nazi Germany, or, more debatably, to discussion of other totalitarian regimes, since a Nazi comparison in those circumstances is understandable"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Mr. Hitler was quite credible.
    Credible? I'm not so sure. He was successful, but that's not the same as credible. It's hard to know if he would have been believed if he used the same rhetoric today.
    But racism did not define him, making Germany great did.
    I'm not sure it's that simple: Hitler's rhetoric - going back to Mein Kampf - was always about blaming other races for Germany's fall from power. He linked this into underlying racism in the culture (most obviously, but not limited to, anti-Semitism) to establish scape-goats for Germany's fall from power. The resolution to return Germany to power was to return the country to the control of the pure Aryan race - he tried a number of solutions to this before arriving at the final one. In his writing and oratory, his very conception of a great Germany was a racially pure Aryan Germany.

This is very similar to the BNP blaming Britain's fall from power on immigration diluting the British culture and promotes the return to a racially pure anglo-saxon culture as the essential element of recreating Great Britain.

Either neither is racist or they both are.
    Nick Griffin seems to be a tiny tiny man in comparison.
    He certainly lacks Hitler's charisma, political competence and oratory skill. This makes him a small-time racist nuisance, rather than a dangerous leader. And, yes, I'm very thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    1) 'Worse than the Nazis'
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." So states Godwin's Law, the observation first made in 1990 that still stands today. Many online communities counter this moronic rhetorical device by ruling that the first person to make a Hitler comparison loses the argument by default.
    Given the direct relevance of Hitler's policies in Germany to the BNP's policies, I would suspect that quoting Godwin's law in this context would be a sure sign of losing the argument.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    Credible? I'm not so sure. He was successful, but that's not the same as credible. It's hard to know if he would have been believed if he used the same rhetoric today.
    Probably not, the 1920's and 30's were hardly times of equality, and communication was not so easy and varied. Many walls have come down since then.

Hitler was credible as a prime minister certainly, I am pretty sure Mr. Griffin is not.

I'm not sure it's that simple:
    You're right of course - but I meant Nick Griffin has not much more than his racism in his political and social background, Hitler has a lot more to his background and racism was just a part of the bigger picture. If you see what I mean. ah but, now I am not sure if I even understand my own point

Given the direct relevance of Hitler's policies in Germany to the BNP's policies, I would suspect that quoting Godwin's law in this context would be a sure sign of losing the argument.
    Indeed.

Cool Re: A Little Bit of Politics – BNP on Question Time

Godwin's Law concerns the use of Hitler/Nazis to derail a thread into the realms of the ridiculous. Ironically, Godwin's Law is being used here to derail a thread that is actually about Nazism

Commercial Operator

The English Democrat Mayor of Doncaster has some interesting views on Immigration....and his policies seem popular....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8116093.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I would never vote for the BNP, I think Nick Griffin is vile and the BNP should at the very least have someone credible to front them, but I do hope that Labour and The Conservatives see this as a wake up call and start thinking more and actually doing something with immigration, otherwise the BNP could be laughing all the way to Westminster.
    Absolutely. There are many in the marginalised white middle class who feel under pressure from 'hoodie' street crime on one side, extremism on the other and a real fear for the British way of life ... whatever that may be. Whether these fears are founded in fact is open to dispute, but it means that right wing politics are likely to prosper.

The prevalent Political Correctness exacerbates the situation. There ARE real problems due to immigration and ethnic groups imposing their value sets in the UK ... it may be seen as payback for the imperialism of the UK in India etc, but don't expect people to take it for long before some kind of push-back ... personal view of course

Thread Information