Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Splash Port the aftermath

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Splash Port the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    wouldn't it be possible to have an area/room/tent that could be used and the couples could request any genre they wished.
    Actually Mike was 'thinking out loud" and told me he's toying with the idea of making the 'Igloo' a room where people can bring their own iPod.

Seeing how the Igloo worked this time, with a simple unattended playlist on the go (or maybe the iPod was even on shuffle? I don't know? I do know it was Marc's iPod though) I reckon it would a good idea.

As long as people didn't hog it for hours.

Just to explain, the Igloo is a small tented area, with a dancefloor space roughly equivalent to that of the pub at Camber and a few inflatable chairs, on which people generally just monged out on.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The worst thing, my SWAS flatmate I just have to tell you about him...

'Ave bin dancin' fer 12 years now, am not bein' bigheaded or anythin' but ah'd say that half t' women at my venue only come 'cos ah say ah'll be there. Often 'ave to correct the teachers in classes when they get things wrong y'know? - Ah! Ya see? They got the footwork wrong on even on the DVD here. Ah've done 17 classes this weekend (It was true, he did 17 classes), of course ahfter all the time ah've bin dancin' ya tend t' pick up things faster than evr'yone else... and. so. on. all. weekend.

I later watched him dance in the Blues room. I'm not amazing myself but I can spot a bad dancer, he didn't have a bloody clue how bad he was, jerky, bouncy, women weren't happy...
    I saw him comment to the teacher during one of the classes that women weren't travelling back far enough on a move - didn't seem to occur to him that perhaps he was to blame, no one else had a problem.
    Finally, he also had a habit of wandering around the chalet butt naked. I'm 21 years old, he was hitting 60. I grit my teeth for the entirety of the weekend and was polite but seriously, I really was reaching a limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    The Really Disturbing Bit:
    - Being led by a chap who kept leading me into locked arm stops and trying to get me to watch him humping his groin at me (honestly what is the acceptable follow to that???). I mean I don’t get freaked out easily but that was the most freaked out I had felt in quite some time… at least it was until KPS later pointed out that the gent in question had a… er… “tenting” thing going on (ick ick ick!!!!!)
    Both of these are absolutely priceless !!

Quote Originally Posted by locoman View Post
    in his defence, while SilverFox was djing there was a power surge which crashed his pc, very very quickly he grabbed a cd & put on the first track (Ladies Night). so the gap in the music was very short. what a job he did!

I didn't say anthing............when foxy was playing it, I said we have had this one 'NO!! we havn't' he said

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    Fletch convincing me to do 30 mins "Sack the DJ" with Motown and Northern. Back to my roots although it was a downer when Mike Ellard got one of the rare tracks. He's older than you think!!!!

Chirs your just so trusting.............it might be something to do with the snazzzzy phone with some kind of shazam, internet conection.

Barry liked it flip me ther's a rusult

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    My first Ceroc weekender for ages, after a short break with a certain non-cerocing lady (Best 18 months of my life but all over now thanks to Facebook!)
    :
    STEVEN !!!!!!!

nothing to do with you then ? all facebooks fault

stop it

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post

Now, swingers hour, on the other hand.....

BRING BACK SWINGERS HOUR ON SATURDAY PURLEAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!
    Now supposedly, a lot of people are not keen on swingers hour, but the fact that there were so many people dancing to it on the Sunday suggests that a) there is a demand for it b) people who don't necessarily want a swingers hour end up really enjoying it. It is pretty early on (1pm) and on a personal level, given that I have to listen to a million hours of disco, I don't see why a teeny weeny extra swingers hour can't be reinstated on the Saturday. Hmph!

Roll on the next Southport (where there will hopefully be swingers hour on Saturday and Sunday)!
    so Mel can you just say that again? would you like swingers hour Saturday & Sunday?

keep it going he Mike might give in
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 21st-October-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    so Mel can you just say that again? would you like swingers hour Saturday & Sunday?

keep it going he Mike might give in

BRING BACK SWINGERS HOUR ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!

(do you think he heard that?!)

BRING BACK SWINGERS HOUR ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!

(do you think he heard that?!)

There seems to be a simple solution to this swingers hour milarkey...

Why not allocate a couple of the sack the dj slots to swing music only.

At the end of the day Ceroc is Mike's business and if enough of you swingers raise the point he will react to it. I suggest we have swinger's party at all venue's.

Tinks to me meself, "Could I suck my gut in long enough?". You get my point pips.

DTS XXX XXX

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Actually Mike was 'thinking out loud" and told me he's toying with the idea of making the 'Igloo' a room where people can bring their own iPod.
    Then it would be an iGloo

(My coat's on already, it's cold in an igloo )

Highs

The quality of all the Scottish girls that came down to SP, Franck and Sheena are doing such a great job of teaching the art of real following.

Meeting up with dancers that I only ever see at SP.

Really enjoying the different Music sets

Hearing a version of the O’Jay’s Backstabbers and finding out it was by Russell Watson aka the Voice, really soulful tune.

Couldn’t believe my ears when Vince played a Hall and Oates track, I mentioned this to Vince only to find out it was a Donny Osmond.

These DJ’s really go out of their way to find some great tracks.

Seeing Riaz camping it up while doing double trouble with Charlie and Paul

Lows
    Still feeling uncomfortable when dancing due to my wrist problems.

Getting stopped by the Manchester police due to my MOT being out of date.

Loosing my Mobile phone and it not turning up on the Monday morning

Seeing one of the Ceroc DJ’s taking up a number of the Sack the DJ slots.

Missing Mike Ellard dance with Linda, always well worth watching, IMHO they are the best Mj’ivers in the country.

People walking on the dance floor with out really looking what the dancers were up to, I had just put a girl into a double spin when I had to just grab an arm to stop her from smashing into somebody, thank god she had frame otherwise I would have hurt her as well.

Overall I thought the Weekender went well, it does everything it says on the can.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    There seems to be a simple solution to this swingers hour milarkey...

Why not allocate a couple of the sack the dj slots to swing music only.

At the end of the day Ceroc is Mike's business and if enough of you swingers raise the point he will react to it. I suggest we have swinger's party at all venue's.

Tinks to me meself, "Could I suck my gut in long enough?". You get my point pips.

DTS XXX XXX
    Barry keep saying he will do one

come on the JiveJunkie looks like you have your calling

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Well, I think it's probably only the 2nd thing I have ever agreed with Gus on but I share his view here. It was a busy weekend and next year will probably be similarly busy. Whenever I was in the Latin Quarter (can't shake that name tag for me) it was not at all busy in relation to the size of the room be it a Milonga session or a WCS session whilst the main room and the boudoir seemed to be heaving. I enjoy these niche sessions but I think I'd prefer having a bit more room to dance in the boudoir without having to wait until 3 or 4 a.m. to avoid playing dance dodgems
    Of course Ceroc could increase the floorspace with a Marquee (if not in February, but that probably won't be the busiest in any case).

That aside looking at the times of the WCS sessions, they're at times when as a jive room it wasn't busy.

I doubt it would have been busier if it has been modern jive rather than WCS.

It would be nice to have some latin modern jive back at peak time (say 11 to 1), and have other styles bracket that.

The pdf actually says there is latin in the latin quarter, but as far as I can see none was scheduled.

Pontins employee - I wish I would have given you a dry slap!!
    Umm curiosity means I must ask... what is a non dry slap???

Other Ipods that were on in the fluffy room were Raphs on Friday (once Mark decided he needed to go to bed) and on Sunday Stokies - just in time as the crew came to start dismantling it.

There was only one point during the weekend when the music stopped as the battery died on Marks as only one person had one but he was too ashamed of what he had on there - maybe good for budding sack the dj types who want to try out songs in a less pressured environment.

Also re:Lorys point about not taking over for too long, I guess part of this will be reduced as hopefully the person would only use their music whilst they were in the tent. I wouldn't really like the idea of leaving my equipment unattended (esp in such an open environment where there is no one about). I know I gave Mark kittens on occasion as I picked up his Ipod and returned it to Rachel / the DJ desk, then went to find him (by which time he seemed to have gone back to collect it) but I'd rather that than have left it unattended.

My twopenn’th - late, as ever.

I am struggling to recover from my most dance-intense weekender yet. After not having fully got over Breeze, this weekend left me a total wreck - physically. Fortunately, I most definitely had the “pleasure” before the “pain” set in.

I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with two of my “finds” from Breeze – the lovely Anthony and the cuddlesome Rogboy and, needless to say, I was also thrilled to catch up with the hipmeister himself Mr T Pants. I also experienced a couple of magical dances with Dave Hancock – when I managed to grab him. Some fantastic discoveries for me included non-forumites Keith from Sandbach and Rob (afg) from Burton. Even though it is a bl**dy long way to travel, it is so worth it to meet up with dancers from “oop north” and beyond. Even though Camber is close to my heart (and home !) I do think that Southport has the best layout by far.

As anyone who knows me would expect, I didn’t really venture out of the Boudoir all weekend – apart from two very brief visits to the tango/wcs room when the boudoir was a bit too crowded. On both those occasions it did seem rather under-utilised, without a tremendous amount of atmosphere. I did also have a couple of dances in the igloo (well-named, temperature-wise).

Maxine & I surprisingly managed a walk along the beach this time – it is just a shame that the sea wasn’t there at the same time as us – Maxine was so keen to go for a paddle (see pics on facebook) but wasn’t prepared to walk to Ireland to do it.

I loved the S’Funk and afternoon sessions immensely and overall, 95% of the music did it for me. (Was I the only one that turned up ready for Blue Boy’s WCS Tunes session in the boudoir – only to discover that there was no-one around to wcs with/who wanted to wcs with me) ? I guess that it just goes to prove that “wcs-labelled” music IS jive-able after all!

Now, to add a bit of balance to an otherwise glowingly gushy report - with the ghost of David Bailey looking over my shoulder (I am sitting down).

Toilets – still absolutely gross. Sort them out, Pontins.

Funfair – what was all that about ?

Finally, just to let you know that Maxine and I are currently pitching a new idea to Channel 4. Probably to be fronted by Ceroc’s tv stars Fletch & Jay Jay (negotiations with their agents are underway), stand by for filming at the next weekender of the new series “How to Look Ten Years Older”. It will be considerably cheaper to produce than its predecessor, “How to look Ten Years Younger” as there will be no plastic surgery or botox treatments involved - although they will have to pay the film crew an awul lot of overtime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    I am struggling to recover from my most dance-intense weekender yet. After not having fully got over Breeze, this weekend left me a total wreck - physically. Fortunately, I most definitely had the “pleasure” before the “pain” set in.
    I feel your pain!
    Being serious for one moment, do you really think that doing a weekender 2 weeks previous, makes a difference to the recovery time of the second one?

All I know is, I haven't felt right since I got back this time.

Toilets – still absolutely gross. Sort them out, Pontins.
    I agree, they are absolutely disgusting. Surely, it would be a drop in the ocean for a big organisation like Pontins to modernise a least one of the ladies powder rooms?

filming at the next weekender of the new series “How to Look Ten Years Older”.
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I think my wife summed it up best in the Thunderball room at 3am monday morning (her first weekender)

feet - destroyed - can't move - carry home

I did Breeze and then this one. Lot of fun but works out at 50 hours of dancing over 5 days, that's a lot to recover from. Still a bit wiped out when I went dancing last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    Also re:Lorys point about not taking over for too long, I guess part of this will be reduced as hopefully the person would only use their music whilst they were in the tent. I wouldn't really like the idea of leaving my equipment unattended (esp in such an open environment where there is no one about). I know I gave Mark kittens on occasion as I picked up his Ipod and returned it to Rachel / the DJ desk, then went to find him (by which time he seemed to have gone back to collect it) but I'd rather that than have left it unattended.
    Heavens above.People were actually leaving their ipods in the igloo?
    Words fail me.
    I am not quite sure that I have the picture of this igloo correctly but why not have a DJ in there on the decks(or are we talking home hi fi)so that there is somebody there all the time that is accountable.
    I am sure there are any number of sack the DJ candidates who would willingly do their bit.

Ooops, sorry chaps that my previous post came up so BIG ! I was writing and cutting and pasting this while trying to look as if I was working - you know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Heavens above.People were actually leaving their ipods in the igloo?
    Having a dj would in my eyes ruin the whole feel of the tent, its more an area to chill out than to have dancing, though there was dancing (if that makes any sense).

Only Mark left his, the first night it was hidden out of sight and later (as we then knew how the sound system worked) it was only left when people he knew were in the tent. I know we're a trusting bunch of soles but I certainly would rely on my dance friends to look out for both my and my friends stuff (even if that is only a core of say 30 dancers from the hundreds that are there) hence moving it when we were done.

Donna

Ok here goes -

THE BAD (I might as well get it out of the way lol! Although I'm not going to complain a great deal as I won the last ticket in the country for this event, which i am truly grateful for.)

The accommodation - Is far from perfect (it is Pontins after all) and seeing we are only there to wash, sleep for a couple of hours, and have a bite to eat, it doesn't really matter so much, BUT, i do think hygiene matters a great deal.. The cleaners are too lazy to make sure the cutlery is clean. There were soup stains on the bowls, and lipstick marks on the glasses. One of my good friends said she actually found mice droppings on her plates..

The carpet is absolutely vile, sticky patches everywhere. I wouldn't dare set foot on that carpet without shoes - some people from our local venue had black feet! lol! There was also blood on the bottom of the doorframe in the bathroom.

On arrival to our chalet, the door was already unlocked! It was pleasant to arrive to a warm and clean smelling chalet for a change (although i know the carpet almost certainly doesn't have one clean patch on it). The bathroom light didn't work, neither did the heater. However, maintenance was quick enough to come and sort it out. He changed the lightbulb, but sadly the heater was not fixable.. which meant every morning and evening I had to pluck up courage to dart in there for a shower!

I think they should invest in some new radiators.. that actually 'do' radiate some heat? Having turned them on before heading out to keep the chalet warm... on returning to the chalet, we only felt a minor difference. They should also invest on puttng down wooden floors in all chalets.. easier to clean and therefore more hygienic. Those carpets are actually lethal! I'm surprised they don't come to life!

Better still, i think they are probably better knocking down the whole thing and rebuilding it - getting away from that 80's look and giving it a more modern day look instead! That means getting rid of those dreaded sofas that look as though somebody has sprayed graffiti all over it and getting rid of those beds which have probably had over a thousand bodies sleeping in them!

One last point - not getting dances with those I said I would do.. but I seriously had trouble finding myself in that venue lol! I kept looking for Mark and I did not see him once the whole weekend!

THE GOOD

The Tango workshops - I only attempted to do the Argentinian classes on this weekender, until Mark got in touch with me and said he and Lindsey were doing a Funk and Disorderly class.. and as much as i'd have loved to have been there.. I was still sleeping then lol! Serves my right for not getting to bed until 4 a.m! We even missed the 1st Tango workshop on Sunday morning!

Ricardo and Jenny were outstanding, and delivered some fab tuition based on Technique, turns etc. Very much in depth and I come back feeling I had a much better understanding of AT having danced the basics the last 5 months.

I have to say , the highlight for me was watching their caberet.. breathtaking! so much so, I almost cried!!!

Seeing some old faces - great to catch up with some of you guys.

Trying on some fab outfits in the dance store. Splashed out £50! Guilt free of course.

As usual, this was a very well organised event and left feeling completely satisfied.

Well done Mike Ellard and team.

xx

Blog Entries

Groovy Dancer (Dale) has been in touch and would like me to ask everyone on here, if they happened to pick up his 'Green and White Beany Hat'

He said he was the last person to leave the Latin Room on Sunday Morning and thinks he must have dropped it somewhere enroute from the Latin room, through the reception and through the Blues Room.

He noticed he didn't have it at this point and retraced his steps but couldn't find it.

He had to go home on Sunday morning

He's hoping someone may have recognised it and is keeping it for him???

He's been in touch with Pontins but they don't have it

a bit late but he goes

the good

friday night amazing fab dances, marc, groovey dancer, herbie, alex f, tom b, a man called keith from up north (omg never laughed so much), noel from london, rob may through me around like a i had never before wow, the tramp thanks for the coat,tigerpants well very nice to meet u and thanks for the outstanding dances they were amazing,
    sorry if i forgot anyone

music

fab music, esp bro (paul foster) best set, loved the tent with marcs i pod,
    cecil did his first ever set sat afternoon was brill, sfunk , linda k fab set sat morning just what i needed to keep me awake whil sat on desk thanks babe, tiggerbabe sat morning some wicked tracks loved it main room everytime i went in fab music

mr darcy and koska well what can i say but BOOBS lol

the bad

having to go home sunday morning due to no sleep from being a extreamly good friend to my pooly friend, so i decided after passing out on sofa at 4am (unheard of of me) i would go home

the rest

roomies fletch joe shaz and shannon thank you all for your support and everything

BOOBS friday night as agreed we got the boys out to play well done girls lol

wish i could have stayed missed out on a few djsets i would never miss gutted

There was an igloo...?

Thread Information