Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Splash Port the aftermath

Re: Splash Port the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post
    Fletch you are as wonderful as ever and Jo is fast becoming one of the best dancers on the scene. He really is amazing for 11 years old.

My very very fast dance with Fred & Tom Baker. Tom doesn't even get breathless!

The swingers hour of course and I'm very pleased to see that its getting more popular.

The Bad

No swingers hour on Saturday

I was dancing and missed your dance with Fred but Joe tells me you ended up sitting on him

and how old is Tom ? oh yes 21 he shouldn't get breathless we have an excuse

do you think if you me and mel & tonkic nagg we might get a swingers hour Saturday and Sunday at Camber

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Your dance with Mike was pretty spectacular too

:
    I neaver dance the last track of swingers hour coz Mike and Linda normally dance that one, I was disserpointed back in June when they didn't it such fun we get and extra cabert.

I think Mike put a track on that he knows Linda dosn't like to wind her up

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I hope the few 'stars' that were there for there first CerocPort comment it would be interesting

I'd love to find out who they are

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

I'd love to find out who they are
    i'm not one to gossip so I couldn't possible say

Having had the day off yesterday to travel back up from Southport, it dawns on me how much I now need to catch up on remarkably quickly. As such, I’m spending time typing up a review for the forum. So glad to see my priorities have been straightened out again.

Overall I had a really good weekend. Thinking about the “bad” things for me, only two had anything to do with the weekend itself. Plus the “good” things more than outweigh them.

The “Could have done Without” ‘s:
    - The Evil Norwegian woman in my car who seemed keen to direct us to central Preston during rush hour, Random road works and the scene of annoyingly involved police “incidents”. She very nearly got thrown out of the car and reversed over, but seeing at it wasn’t my sat nav she was in, I didn’t think this would go down very well. Thankfully the slightly nuts Norwegian in my car was good natured enough not to kill me for the resulting snappy bad mood that the GPS put me in (cheers Villemo!)

-The Friday Night once again didn’t do it for me. I never seem to have great Friday nights at Southport – this time it was so busy that I felt inhibited when dancing with people who are lovely dancers (one dance in particular I remember getting bumped so often it was ridiculous – we were nearly standing still). I’m told that after 3 it became fantastic, but given my Fri night track record I wasn’t for staying up that late.

- The really weird sensation of approaching the blues room and hearing the lilting blues music coming out while the fun fair was blasting “doof doof doof” music

- Finally the having to go into work for a telecon having only had 3 hours sleep in the previous 29 hours. Note to self – you can’t hide it.

The Good Bits:
    - For me this was largely a social weekend as opposed to a dance-centric one. There are so many fantastic people who cheered me up when I had been p***** off. This ranged from dinner with Mr Darcy and Koshka (I maintain that “or” is not a possible option when considering Cheesecake and Crème Brulee), KPS supporting me in my aim to get really drunk on Friday (I know you don’t like drinking and dancing mate, so your efforts were appreciated), the “monkey grooming” in the white room on Saturday night (Jivee – we had probably better rethink our attire the next time), and the number of people who believed that all problems could be solved with gratuitous groping (not sure what that says about people at weekenders…)

- The White Room. I remember them having this area as a sack the DJ place in the past and it never really working, but the atmosphere that the simple tenting and placing of inflatable seats was really impressive. At times I preferred hanging out there to being in the Blues room which is something that really surprised me. Plus there is something to be said for spending part of your time lounging around getting a shoulder massage while someone feeds you grapes and Turkish delight

- The music. There were some fantastic sets. Gutted I missed Tiggerbabe on the Saturday morning, but the sets I did hear were fantastic. The only negative thoughts I had were that the disco centric one on the Saturday afternoon went on a bit long for my taste (not sure we needed 2 plays of “Ladies Night” within such a quick period) but I know other people liked it (maybe not the two plays of Ladies Night, but the disco theme overall), and at one point hearing a series of tracks suitable for the main room in the blues room on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I’m happy for different genres to be played but there’s a reason I go to the blues room and not the main room.

- The Tango focus. A lot of the weekenders I’ve been on have seemed to have a very strong WCS slant with almost a token nod to other dances like Tango. I don’t have a problem with this (other than feeling too intimidated to actually try any WCS in the WCS rooms – my own issue, nothing to do with the weekends themselves). This weekend for me felt heavily influenced by Tango. And for a dance that has a reputation for being snooty and cliquey, I found it fantastic. The atmosphere was lovely (loved the live clarinet playing), and the people were great IMO. When I was asked by one person if I did Tango, and I replied “badly” (I’ve never done a Tango class in my life), I was told “great!” and proceeded to have a good 3 or 4 dances in a row. The weekend has really made me reassess my view of Tango, and I’m actually thinking of trying some classes at home now.

- Practicing my blues leading – thank you to the lovely ladies who let me practice on them . Thought it was really sweet when one lady complained that I had “had” her pal and not her!

- Kazibaby teaching me her signature move (I will practice it and make you proud!)

- Finally my lovely chalet mate - bring not only fab tunes and chocolate buttons, but also a lovely shoulder for me to whinge on when I was annoyed Also for making me feel good about the amount of time it takes me to get ready and leave the chalet to go out (I'm guessing this takes longer with age, eh Jivee? *runs and hides*)

The Really Disturbing Bit:
    - Being led by a chap who kept leading me into locked arm stops and trying to get me to watch him humping his groin at me (honestly what is the acceptable follow to that???). I mean I don’t get freaked out easily but that was the most freaked out I had felt in quite some time… at least it was until KPS later pointed out that the gent in question had a… er… “tenting” thing going on (ick ick ick!!!!!)
    Last edited by Princess Fi; 20th-October-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    The “Could have done Without” ‘s:
    - The Evil Norwegian woman in my car who seemed keen to direct us to central Preston during rush hour, Random road works and the scene of annoyingly involved police “incidents”. She very nearly got thrown out of the car and reversed over, but seeing at it wasn’t my sat nav she was in, I didn’t think this would go down very well. Thankfully the slightly nuts Norwegian in my car was good natured enough not to kill me for the resulting snappy bad mood that the GPS put me in (cheers Villemo!)
    I will have a word with the evil Norwegian woman, and make sure she never does that again. Might just have been set to "the most annoying route" setting .
    Look at it this way, you had a unique chance to work on your Norwegian!
    "Ta andre avkjoring ved rundkjoringen"...
    You have to be a lot worse than that to p*ss me off .
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-October-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: hopefully, I've sorted this now.. lory x

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi
    - The music. There were some fantastic sets. Gutted I missed Tiggerbabe on the Saturday morning, but the sets I did hear were fantastic. The only negative thoughts I had were that the disco centric one on the Saturday afternoon went on a bit long for my taste (not sure we needed 2 plays of “Ladies Night” within such a quick period)

in his defence, while SilverFox was djing there was a power surge which crashed his pc, very very quickly he grabbed a cd & put on the first track (Ladies Night). so the gap in the music was very short. what a job he did!
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-October-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Splash - The Aftermath

[ I loved the idea of the chill out igloo in the foyer, might have worked better if that area had more seating with non-dance music playing and no dance floor, every time I popped by it was either being used by 1 or 2 couples dancing alone making it more of a make out area or there would be a group in there with 1 or 2 people putting on a stand-up act. All interesting but missing the mark of a chill out zone a little.
    Oh! It was a chill-out area? I assumed it was an area for teachers to be filmed for DVD and didn't venture in.
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-October-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Must learn how to quote properly!

Overall I had a fab time at Southport.

Good bits
    Chalet mates
    All the compliments I had on my hair
    Seeing everyone again
    oops upside your head
    Some fab finds including Stokie and Essie's son - wow
    Fab dances in the main room and some non WCS dances in the WCS sets
    I enjoyed the fun fair when it was open.. yeah i was a sad one who got a free ticket.. ended up with 2 as took friends daughter on waltzers as mum had had too much wine.. it was bloody freezing tho
    can't say i had a bad dance
    Bad bits
    Not being able to find my mojo until 3 a.m. sunday morning.. put this down to the fact of tiredness and it being very very busy and not much room to dance.. i get all claustrophobic and ain't too keen on playing dance dodgems.
    chalet being very cold and damp even with heaters on.. sorted this by loaning some quilts from kind worcester friends
    lack of confidence on sunday night / monday morning resulting in me only dancing really in the main room til it closed and then going to bed in order to preserve my sanity.. kinda wish i had stayed out and played in the blues room but mind wasnt in a good place

General
    Liked the "fluffy room" to just chill in.. didnt dance much in there but a good place to chill and chat

Overall i enjoyed southport this time.. lovely to see people.. fab time.. nice memories.. haven't booked feb.. got lots planned and dont fancy being cold.. but def hoping to book june

Great to see everyone again.. nice thing about dancing.. even if you arent out and about everywhere.. people are still pleased to see you and it is friendly...

Oo.. just a thought.. I am desperately trying to remember a song that was played in the blues / chill out room.. saturday night (i think). I know who I danced it with.. but can't remember the song... all i remember (very vaguely) is a line something along the lines of "i made a commitment (or promise) to spend my life with you"... that is about all i remember.. if anyone can help PM me..... it may have been Sunday night... i can't remember its all a blur!

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Oo.. just a thought.. I am desperately trying to remember a song that was played in the blues / chill out room.. saturday night (i think). I know who I danced it with.. but can't remember the song... all i remember (very vaguely) is a line something along the lines of "i made a commitment (or promise) to spend my life with you"... that is about all i remember.. if anyone can help PM me..... it may have been Sunday night... i can't remember its all a blur!
    Could you be any more vague.

still I bet someone will get it.

DTS XXX XXX

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    ll i remember (very vaguely) is a line something along the lines of "i made a commitment (or promise) to spend my life with you"... that is about all i remember.. if anyone can help PM me..... it may have been Sunday night... i can't remember its all a blur!
    Mmmmn, not quite that line but was it this one?

Garth Brooks (as Chris Gaines) - Lost in You. It was the last track I played on Sat night/Sun morning at 4.27am

There's no more waiting
    Holding out for love
    You are my Godsend
    That I have been forever dreaming of
    My angel from above
    Heaven knows
    I'm head over heels and it shows
    I've played every field I suppose
    But there's something about you
    When you're around
    Baby I have found
    I get lost in you
    What is this feeling
    I've never known before
    That I should touch you
    Swearing to surrender ever more
    That's what I came here for
    Heaven knows
    When you're around
    Baby I have found
    I get lost in a wonderful daze
    Lost in your wonderful ways
    Heaven knows

When you're around
    Baby I have found
    I get lost
    Heaven knows
    When you're around
    Baby I have found
    I get lost in you

Or - played at 3.11am Sun night/Mon morning. Adele - Make You Feel My Love.

When the rain
    Is blowing in your face
    And the whole world
    Is on your case
    I could offer you
    A warm embrace
    To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows
    And the stars appear
    And there is no one there
    To dry your tears
    I could hold you
    For a million years
    To make you feel my love

I know you
    Haven't made
    Your mind up yet
    But I would never
    Do you wrong
    I've known it
    From the moment
    That we met
    No doubt in my mind
    Where you belong

I'd go hungry
    I'd go black and blue
    I'd go crawling
    Down the avenue
    No, there's nothing
    That I wouldn't do
    To make you feel my love

The storms are raging
    On the rolling sea
    And on the highway of regret
    Though winds of change
    Are throwing wild and free
    You ain't seen nothing
    Like me yet

I could make you happy
    Make your dreams come true
    Nothing that I wouldn't do
    Go to the ends
    Of the Earth for you
    To make you feel my love
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I had a nice time. The music was good, attendance was up compared to the two previous Ceroc events here, lovely dances and a well laid out venue.

What I liked the most were
    1. A very friendly atmosphere. No major WCS influence may well have facilitated this.
    2. The Igloo. I used it during the day to practise and I noticed many others did as well. The availablity of a practise area during the day was a simple but IMO very useful additional facility for weekenders when practise time as opposed to dance or workshop time is welcome.
    3. The evening Milongas. But see below.
    4. The friendly and approachable nature of the Ceroc teachers during the freestyles.
    5. The general feeling of relaxing and letting the organisers take the strain. I felt that the administration and behind the scenes work was excellent.
    6. The variety of music played in The Boudoir.

What I did not like so much.
    1. I found that the music in the main room was not quite up to the very high standards I usually find at Ceroc events.
    2. I missed a 1 to 2 hour latin session, in the Latin room. IMO it would be nice to have at least one session at a prime evening slot and preferabally one on all three evenings here. Even at the expense of reducing what was on this occassion three or four hour Milonga sessions.

I have not attended any Camber or Brean events recently but if they are as good as this event was, I am not surprised that they have sold out and next years events are selling fast.

Having now been to all of the Pontins Southport is my Fav.

Good
    The opportunity to DJ. Its a priviledge to do.
    generally great music to allow me to dance with some fab people.
    Fletch convincing me to do 30 mins "Sack the DJ" with Motown and Northern. Back to my roots although it was a downer when Mike Ellard got one of the rare tracks. He's older than you think!!!!
    Our Chalet mates with whom we solved all the worlds problems and assisted the slow down in alchohol sales.
    I went from 4 west Coast moves to 5. Yippee. And thanks to all those lovely ladies who put up with those 5 moves so I could practise.
    Seeing club members at their first weekender having a good time.

Average
    Food. When Chicken Burger and Chips is better than the main meals there is a problem.

BAD
    A jiver asaulting a member of staff on Sunday. I expect that kind of thing in the Crap bars and Clubs I have to work in. Not acceptable in MJ. Go away. Don't come back!!!!

Thanks to all

DJ Chrisu

See ya at Camber

My first Ceroc weekender for ages, after a short break with a certain non-cerocing lady (Best 18 months of my life but all over now thanks to Facebook!)
    Anyway I loved it so much, had a great time so I've just booked for February.
    Still aching and tired, even though I took Tuesday off work to recover, I don't think dancing Monday and Tuesday night has really helped matters much.

The obvious best bit for me was the Swingers Hour (I took my car keys but they stayed in my coat pocket!) I like these 90 minute hours sometimes!
    I even tried out the Chill Out Room, the balance of music in there was great, loads of different genres.

Didn't intend to try Tango so was quite happy that it was in its own room.
    Didn't do a lot of workshops this time apart from the Blues and new moves, but I can't even remember them, and there are so many good moves that I need to re-learn anyway after my break.

I think it was over subscribed as all rooms were packed out at times, so you couldn't avoid the odd knock

Overall I loved the weekend, had loads of dances and met a lot of new people, so see you all in February - Next stop Fresh at Burton on Saturday!!
    Last edited by Jivejunkie; 21st-October-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Grammar and word blindness (must be tired!)

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    special thanks to Mel and Tonic for getting the Bat slashed on wine on Sunday, did her the world of good.
    Well, red wine drinking is a tough job, but someone's gotta do it...

I am still pretty exhausted from this weekend, which must be a good sign... I had a brilliant time!!!!

So many wonderful dances all weekend, and a great atmosphere overall. It was also lovely catching up with friends and having a little drinkie drink...

Although I had a fabulous time, I gotta say, the music didn't do it for me as much as the last Southport. I know everyone else seems to love it, but Saturday afternoon drove me slightly insane with what felt like about 5 hours of disco funk (in reality I think it was maybe 3.5)! It's not so much that I don't like S'funk (Sunday's set was good) but Saturday afternoon just seemed to go on and oooooooon and oooooooon and was just so samey (I could not tell any difference between the S'Funk and the following Rare Grooves set). I know the majority enjoyed it, but I found it super boring. So there.

Now, swingers hour, on the other hand.....

BRING BACK SWINGERS HOUR ON SATURDAY PURLEAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!

Now supposedly, a lot of people are not keen on swingers hour, but the fact that there were so many people dancing to it on the Sunday suggests that a) there is a demand for it b) people who don't necessarily want a swingers hour end up really enjoying it. It is pretty early on (1pm) and on a personal level, given that I have to listen to a million hours of disco, I don't see why a teeny weeny extra swingers hour can't be reinstated on the Saturday. Hmph!

I also kind of wish there was a little bit more blues in the blues room...just sayin'....

Oh, and also, grrrrrrrrr to the guys who wear trousers with a million zips all over the pockets!!! They are not cool, nor are they stylish, and they SNAGGGGGGGG on tights! Boooooooo!

Um, also, to the Pontins employee who told me my bum was a bit big and that I should go for a run on the beach - I wish I would have given you a dry slap!

Anyway, rant over - these are just a few of my observations, but I still loved it and had an absolute blast!

Sunday was my favourite day and night for dancing, but then Sunday is usually my favourite because it's so chilled out and everyone seems to have gotten into the groove. Loved having a drinkie and a good catch up with Batgirl! Personal highlight - double trouble with Paul and a baguette hahahah!

Thanks to Mr Darcy for driving, and also to Koshka for making sure I was fed Friday and Saturday nights

Roll on the next Southport (where there will hopefully be swingers hour on Saturday and Sunday)!

I can't help feeling that I have misread Mel_and_Tonic's post;did they play'disco funk' in all the rooms.

As a virtual weekender virgin(I have actually been twice,Camber and Southport,many years ago but they were in my early days of DJ/dance and I was testing the water so to speak) it appears from one or two of the posts on here that there were times when people couldn't find the music they wanted during the day to dance or even practice to.

I am not sure how many areas there are to dance in or indeed if they are used all day but given that any or indeed all of the DJ's must have an eclectic collection of music wouldn't it be possible to have an area/room/tent that could be used and the couples could request any genre they wished.

Rightly or wrongly I get the impression that there are rooms/slots set aside for a particular genre and that the main room is discouraged from playing blues,latin,swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Personal view ... lovely room that seemed to be even more deserted than it was in its old incarnation as a Latin room under JA. I'm sure the Tango crowd enjoyed it but using a room for 30 dancers out of 1500 seems a little overkill. Having siad that I didn't check how it do through the night. I'm sure that is it worked overall the concept will eb retained ... if not Ceroc will try something else.
    Well, I think it's probably only the 2nd thing I have ever agreed with Gus on but I share his view here. It was a busy weekend and next year will probably be similarly busy. Whenever I was in the Latin Quarter (can't shake that name tag for me) it was not at all busy in relation to the size of the room be it a Milonga session or a WCS session whilst the main room and the boudoir seemed to be heaving. I enjoy these niche sessions but I think I'd prefer having a bit more room to dance in the boudoir without having to wait until 3 or 4 a.m. to avoid playing dance dodgems

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_Tonic

Although I had a fabulous time, I gotta say, the music didn't do it for me as much as the last Southport. I know everyone else seems to love it, but Saturday afternoon drove me slightly insane with what felt like about 5 hours of disco funk (in reality I think it was maybe 3.5)! It's not so much that I don't like S'funk (Sunday's set was good) but Saturday afternoon just seemed to go on and oooooooon and oooooooon and was just so samey (I could not tell any difference between the S'Funk and the following Rare Grooves set). I know the majority enjoyed it, but I found it super boring. So there.
    interesting point mel, i was on after sf who played 1 & quarter hours of sfunk to a packed boudior. i was billed to play rare groove (more rare soul/funk/etc), but decided (in preference to being lynched) to ease into it & did so for first half of my set. then easing into slightly rarer stuff william devaughn, first choice, etc... then proper rare groove lyn collins, thelma jones,etc etc... and the place stayed pretty busy & floor full. so about 2 hours of sfunk was played. sorry if you did'nt enjoy it.
    Last edited by Lory; 21st-October-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Thread Information