Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Splash Port the aftermath

Splash Port the aftermath

SplashPort the aftermath

Just back from Splash Port, totally in bits, so i'm not sure what this post will be like, but hear goes.

Journey 1hr 40mins
    dancing by 2pm Friday, where were you Steven666 ?

highlights

gosh so many I know I will miss some.

memorable dancing with

Aston Ellard
    Mike Ellard
    Rob May.......your mad
    Dave Hancock
    Barry the refuser...who didn't refuse anyone all weekend OMG we will need to re name him at this rate, come on Barry you have a reputation to keep up, are you going soft in your old age?
    My Joe
    Young mike (10 years old)
    Herbie for doing aerials with me shhhhh I think there banned
    Tom Baker
    keran
    Barry Stakintof.. yes I know its wrong.
    sorry if iv forgotten anyone.

funny moments

while dancing with filthy monkey joe popped up to ask if he could keep the change from the money I gave him to buy chips...eek!
    Watching Linda Ellard been tag by Alex and Phil

Best bits

SFunk very different sets on each day. allway my best sets
    Swing Hour
    ChrisU Northern Soul & Motown set, just unbelievable, thank you, I like the way you gave us some information between each track, it nearly killed me, I thought I was fit.
    John Baker's set on Sunday I though I was going to pass out, my tongue had stuck to the roof of my mouth, and I was sweating badly, had to go in the chill out room and sit down, thank you RodgeBoy.
    Rodgeboys spagBoll
    my room mates
    James for been brave
    Dancing with the bar staff (they weren't allowed at Breeze)
    Loved Paul foster set
    Mel&tonic's 'outfits'

Not such good bits

ONLY ONE SWING HOUR.....grrrr what happened to Saturday?
    A big fair ride blocking my view of the blues room
    Two guys walking across the middle of the dance floor with full pints of beer...errr can I have a word please!
    Joe been sick on the Waltzes
    SWAY going home first thing Sunday morning feeling emotionally drained, having spent most of Saturday evening at the hospital with a friend.
    A bizarre conversation with a very drunk lady who was on her first weekender and had been dancing for 6 months. Its going to be interesting watching how she implements her ideas to increase numbers at her venue & thanks for telling me all the things she new about me very interesting, lets hope her ideas for the venue are more accurate than what she knows about me.

the unbelievable

someone genuinely offering to give up there place at Camber so I can go. unbelievable generous gesture. (sorted now see you there)

my head is mush.........

Re: Splash Port the aftermath

Not doing southport again (5 hour drive) its too far.

Having said that the gender balance missing at breeze was much more in evidence at this weekender which I thought was very good.

Best sets, a close tie between Tiggerbabe in Thunderball starting before midnight on sunday/monday and Rocky in the Blues room immediately after. Wifey came along for her first weekender and pronounced both Sheena and David very evil people for playing so many great tunes that her feet were destroyed as she barely sat down for 3 hours.

Dancing with Val when she's tipsy.

Alex and Phil's class. There must be something about that set of names as Energiser Bunny Alex and Phil were my favourite class at Breeze and Blond Alex and Phil were my favourite class at Southport.

Dancing until my feet hurt on saturday/sunday/monday morning and having to almost crawl through the rain until I get back to my apartment with delighted smile on my face.

Bad Things

A few times other DJ's cut music off 3/4 of the way through. Don't understand why unless someone was dicking about. Great way to **** off 500 people though.

A room which seemed to be used as a test lab for Benson and Hedges upon arrival. Thankfully the nice Mr Ellard sorted me out with a super spray which removed all the odour from the room and I used an entire bottle of febreeze on the carpet, sofa, etc. Fridge not working, kettle growing some sort of luminous yellow mold and clothes stinking of smoke by the end of the weekend due to the plastic chairs being impregnated with tobaccco. (I loathe the smell of smoke).

A fun fair which didn't really seem to get used.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

Alex and Phil's class. There must be something about that set of names as Energiser Bunny Alex and Phil were my favourite class at Breeze and Blond Alex and Phil were my favourite class at Southport.

A fun fair which didn't really seem to get used.

Phil and Alex's tag seems to be the 'in thing' at the moment, they do have a uneque way of doing it, I have taged with others, which is more like dance and steal, phil and Alex seem to take it to the next leavel, and as Mike Ellard would say 'you need sex in the dance' I woner if thats what made Linda smile when they taged her

I woner if Joe thowing up all over the fair put people off

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

The Worst

Getting phoned on Saturday with the news that my aunt had passed away, a very special woman a big influence on my life that I'll miss hugely, love you Aunt Bette.

The Bad

My darling fiance not being there, I missed her sooooo much and can't wait for another 10 weeks
    The accommodation was not up to scratch, the carpets were simply disgusting and we spent a bit of time cleaning up the chalet before we even dared to unpack our stuff.
    The mini fairground in front of the venue, to me this spoiled a lot of the atmosphere of walking into the blues room and they didn't seem to be used.
    The Saturday afternoon funk set in the blues area, I enjoyed it for about 20 minutes and then found it very boring, although appreciate that different people like different things and there seemed to be a fair few folk on the floor although there was an element of hand bag dancing at times during this set.

The Good

The overall standard of the music, I enjoyed the music here more than any of the other weekenders I've done this year.
    The little indoor tent/chill out area, had never seen this at Southport before and thought it was a lovely touch.
    Getting some random guy on Sunday tell me in between dances with Aleks that I was the happiest dancer there and that it looked like I enjoyed my dancing so much. This really cheered me up and really inspired me onto a magical day of dancing. However could only look so happy and enjoy the dancing so much due to both the music and the dancers who were there. I can honestly say I enjoyed every single dance of the weekend.
    Dancing with many old friends and some new discoveries, to name a few (and apologies to anyone I miss) but special thanks to Aleks, Lory, Fletch, Alison (ZW), Alison (Dundee), Toni, Rachel, Clarie S & of course young Jennifer. New discoveries, Maxine (you're so into the blues) as well as Lauren & Jackie (Jack?) - northwestern girls one of which is in Cambridge now but no idea if they're on the forum.
    Also special thanks to Tiger Pants for my dance on Saturday night - I can certainly appreciate why the ladies talk so highly about your hips.

The Best

Afternoon set on Sunday by Vince, simply the best afternoon set I've ever heard and it took me to a wonderful place.

Finally special thanks to both Jennifer and Claire S for listening to me when I wanted to talk, really appreciated it

I had a really brilliant weekend, probably my favourite time was in the best to date, Southport is just the perfect venue for weekenders as the layout makes it so convenient should you wish to go from one room to other.

Good
    Firstly the music, spent practically the whole weekend in the blues room apart from a few minutes in the milonga but found it too intimidating for a tango beginner. So can only really can comment on the blues room, which most sets I loved in varying degrees just one set that I did not really enjoy on the Friday eve but don’t know his name as have never seen him before. My favourite was Tiggerbabe’s set on Sunday night/Monday morning just did it for me. I surprised myself by really enjoying the S’Funk sessions have never fancied them but really enoyed it but for a maximum of an hour, loved the high energy. Just loved the afternoon in the blues room had a really special feel.

Secondly dances, where do I start, just had the best time with the most fantastic dances could take a long time to wipe this smile of my face. Thanks to all the guys I danced with want to say a special thanks to some guys I don’t usually get a chance to dance with Cheeky Charlie (Tiger Pants) loved the T shirt, Rogboy good to meet you properly, loved your style of cuddly dancing, Dave Hancock, what a fabulous and fun dancer thanks for all the dances and lastly what a surprise to find MarkW (my word game friend and king of the innuendos)there and thanks for the dances. One other guy really stood out for me a young guy called Rob from Burton on Trent had some brilliant dances and definitely one to watch for the future.

Lastly the atmosphere, it just all felt so friendly and had such a laugh with so many people both on and off the dance floor.

Bad

The state of the toilets in the main building, leaking shabby and covered with graffiti, come on Pontins sort this out it’s not acceptable.

The journey down to Southport 6 hours hold ups on the M6, the journey back a lot quicker but spoilt by witnessing an accident on the M6 about 3 cars ahead, thankfully cars able to limp off. Though the journey was bad it would not put me off going again because as soon as I got there, we unpacked and headed for the blues room and our weekend began

Additional Thoughts

For me Southport works because you can dance whenever you feel like it with music available all day. I think having a good time at these weekends is down to us all the music is there and every effort is made to give a varied feast of music, the classes are there if you want them but for me it’s the people that make these weekends so special

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Thanks to all the guys I danced with want to say a special thanks to some guys I don’t usually get a chance to dance with Cheeky Charlie (Tiger Pants)For me Southport works because you can dance whenever you feel like it with music available all day. I think having a good time at these weekends is down to us all the music is there and every effort is made to give a varied feast of music, the classes are there if you want them but for me it’s the people that make these weekends so special
    I love Tiger Pants - I very rarely get to dance with him but got lots of GORGEOUS funky dances with him this weekend always so much fun and very hard to say thanks and let him move on to someone else haha.

I had a blast again this weekend. I wasn't feeling the Friday so much - I find it hard to find where/who I want to dance with when the rooms are packed. The plus side of those occasions is that it gives me a chance to enjoy the social side of Southport and catch-up with friends, have a giggle, stripper dance, get/give massages (LOVED the white room for chilling out) have a drink. Sat and Sun daytime dancing - love it - the funky stuff really works for me and I love the vibe of a blues room (with room to dance) full of people just having fun with the music and doing their thing.

Sat and Sun for me from 2am onwards - amazing. I had lots of dances but the highlight for me was on Sat night during my ultra smooth, died and gone to heaven tag/steal dance with Mark Forster and KPS. If ever I wished that a song could be 10 minutes long then that was it! That then led to a mass tag session which again was v smooth and lots of fun. Breakfast club was a good giggle and hope to continue the tradition at Blush - Rachael, Princess Fi and I NEED you in that closing Sat night/Sun morning slot again!

Two lovely evening meals with friends - nice to chill out with friends and eat something other than junk food - which including some chuffin' gorgeous creme brulee thanks to Mr Darcy.

Dances with Jim were fab as always and it was fun dancing ATs during the Milonga and those with RobD In fact I danced soooooooo many different styles over the weekend and couldn't stop smiling or laughing - that's what makes a weekender for me. I just wish it wasn't over now...roll on the next one.

(Miguel I'm really NOT a luvvie haha)

Well, I arrived on Friday and for a variety of reasons I did not expect much of this weekend. Fortunately it exceeded my expectations.

GOOD
    * cashback system worked well
    * had doubts about new style wristband but don't recollect catching or scratching any followers with mine
    * a lot of enjoyable dances and some that were on a par with anything I've experienced at previous Southports. I'm not sure I'd class the blues/bump'n'grind/dry humping (delete as appropriate) that constituted a lot of my weekend repertoire as real dancing but, damn, it feels great and the followers seem to enjoy it
    * I enjoyed most of the music, DJ Blueboy's set on Fri evening was not to my taste and no-one really stood out for me but overall I liked most of the music. I heard a few grumblings about too much S'Funk type material during the daytimes. Personally I think that stuff works best during the afternoons but each to their own.
    * had a dabble at the milonga on Sun night and IMO it was a very un-intimidating atmosphere for someone with little experience in the dance

NOT SO GOOD

* quite cold in the Boudoir on occasion especially for those not dancing
    * floor in the Boudoir very busy a lot of the time and a few floorcraft issues (yes, even with very few WCS dancers in evidence )
    * personally, I'd like a bit more seating in the Boudoir
    * the funfair - what was that all about?

Overall, I enjoyed the weekend. Ceroc are stamping their own character onto the Southport weekend and the numbers definitely seemed much higher than March/May. There's a marked absence of 'star dancers', you know - the kind who gather their own audience along the bar. Some will see this as positive, some as negative. Personally, I'm ambivalent but it's definitely a difference from the Southports of old. The venue is the critical element for me here and the Boudoir in particular. I'd much rather travel the extra miles to get here than to go to Camber.

Oh and given that tagging/swapping/stealing/whatever you want to term it seems to be raised a lot in this thread could I ask that those involved please try and pick your next target a little more judiciously? In the midst of a slow bluesy shuffle with Koshka we suddenly feel our arms being tugged to swap partners despite showing no interest in nor inclination to join the proceedings. We resisted and stayed together but it did kinda burst that blues bubble temporarily

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Oh and given that tagging/swapping/stealing/whatever you want to term it seems to be raised a lot in this thread could I ask that those involved please try and pick your next target a little more judiciously? (

Well said Rob, I'd just logged on to make a similar point. I was tagged this morning and did not appreciate it in the least. It isn't big, it isn't clever and when it happens to unconsenting dancers it is downright rude.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Oh and given that tagging/swapping/stealing/whatever you want to term it seems to be raised a lot in this thread could I ask that those involved please try and pick your next target a little more judiciously? In the midst of a slow bluesy shuffle with Koshka we suddenly feel our arms being tugged to swap partners despite showing no interest in nor inclination to join the proceedings. We resisted and stayed together but it did kinda burst that blues bubble temporarily
    I'd agree with this. There is nothing worse than having the dreamiest dance ever and then suddenly being taken away and thinking "um, hang on what's happening here then, I was in the zone there", especially if your partner is one of those in demand and you can't get them back again. Thankfully when this happened to me it was more of a "um, what's going on here? Oh, this is going on, yum!!" Plus I got more than my fair share of gorgeous dances just with Mark too.

That is a very good point though MrD.

Top weekend, top marks. Fabulous dances with old friends and new finds:
    Chris C, you're a great dancer, super smooth and first class musicality.. tall Ian - wow (where were you Saturday night?) Granger (no longer a stranger) - FAB! gorgeous Fred, short Ian, David from Peterborough, scottish David (although I did need a cold shower afterwards) Anil, Darryl, scottish John (you're welcome at ours any time!) lovely lovely Brian, the ever-excellent Gus.. and many more fantastic and friendly dancers whose names I didn't catch.

Already booked for February - and anyone within 3 hours of the North East get yourself along to Huge in January!

Claire

I had a great time at Southport. Spent 99% of my time in the Blues room but did venture into the Main room when I got bored.

Was up until at least 5-6am every night, didn't do any classes at all but just wanted to sleep as much as possible during the day so I could be awake at night.

The Good
    Meeting so many new people and making lots of new friends
    Absolutely love the atmosphere at Southport, the people up there are so nice and friendly. I've yet to meet a Scottish person who hasn't been charming and a great dancer.
    Donna (Battlecat) making me somewhat a figure of speculation and legend amongst the Blues girls. Heehee.
    Southport tickets only cost £30, awesome. More of those please.
    The new wristbands, first weekender I've been to where it hasn't broken off somehow...
    Had a great time all round.

The Bad - (this is misleadingly long, I had a great time 99.9% of the time)
    The worst thing, my SWAS flatmate I just have to tell you about him...

'Ave bin dancin' fer 12 years now, am not bein' bigheaded or anythin' but ah'd say that half t' women at my venue only come 'cos ah say ah'll be there. Often 'ave to correct the teachers in classes when they get things wrong y'know? - Ah! Ya see? They got the footwork wrong on even on the DVD here. Ah've done 17 classes this weekend (It was true, he did 17 classes), of course ahfter all the time ah've bin dancin' ya tend t' pick up things faster than evr'yone else... and. so. on. all. weekend.

I later watched him dance in the Blues room. I'm not amazing myself but I can spot a bad dancer, he didn't have a bloody clue how bad he was, jerky, bouncy, women weren't happy...
    I saw him comment to the teacher during one of the classes that women weren't travelling back far enough on a move - didn't seem to occur to him that perhaps he was to blame, no one else had a problem.
    Finally, he also had a habit of wandering around the chalet butt naked. I'm 21 years old, he was hitting 60. I grit my teeth for the entirety of the weekend and was polite but seriously, I really was reaching a limit.

---

The only other thing was the journey to and from Southport. I have no transport so I walked 3 miles to my nearest train station in early morning freezingness, from my local station I went to Vauxhall, from there, take the tube to London Euston, London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street, take the Metro to Liverpool Central, train to Ainsdale, walk 15 mins from Ainsdale station to Pontins. Not fun!

--

I hasten to add that neither of the above points are Ceroc's fault. The only criticism I have is of the Ceroc official photographers. Why not just call them the 'Beautiful Elite' photographers? 50 for them, 1 (if you're lucky) for everybody else. It's dumb.

The Pointless
    The fairground, the first thing I thought when I saw it was 'Why?'. Who's here to ride fairground rides, especially in sub-zero temperatures? I was dying just walking back to my chalet.
    Last edited by Danny; 19th-October-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Still caught in two minds ..... loved some of Gary Turner's music (never come across him before but thought he played some excellent tunes), some of my favourite people/dancers there, really enjoyed the 'day' dancing in the Blues arena and I even enjoyed the S'Funk thingy .... BUT, the music in the main room was (IMHO) the worst king of bang-bang (all beat, no music) and the Latin room experiment with Tango/WCS, though brave, didn't work for me personally.

At the end of the day I went to Southport to socialise rather than dance, and that worked really well. Leaving all the politics behind ... its probably a place I'd go back to again.

For the first time at a weekender I had a disappointing time due to a mix of reasons. One ill chalet mate and one on a downer meant the remaining 2 of us ended up on a bit of a downer as well - not good when you want to make the most of dancing. Only 2 of us danced on Fri & Sat evening, and none of us made it out on Sun night at all.

I didn't do as many classes as I usually do and think that might have prevented me from getting as much of a buzz as usual which makes me want to dance late into the night.

The Good
    Classes - back in March I didn't enjoy Phil & Alex's and dropped out, but this time it was a nice routine which most people managed to pick up. Also enjoyed Mark & Lyndsey's Funk & Disorderly as I find their routines energising and them really enthusiastic, and Glen & Karen's double handed class. Well taught at a good speed, with some moves I'll be working out to lead. I also enjoyed the slick spinning routine from Chris Baker. Learnt a couple of tricks/techniques that I might use and can pass on to people who ask for advice about spinning.

Some great dances on Friday & Saturday evening

Chalet evening meals - a gorgeous chicken dish from one of my chalet mates, and another evening meal finished off with banana custard (comfort food for the sickly!). Plus champagne for a treat.

Gender balance was much better than previous weekenders. Classes often had men over, others were women over. I found the rotation in all classes were managed much better than at previous weekenders.

The Bad
    Not dancing on Sunday night. With 3 of the 4 of our gang flaked out, I didn't feel comfortable going out for the evening on my own so didn't go out. Even though I didn't find it hard to get dances in the main room I still didn't feel comfortable being billy no mates in the inbetween dance stages.

Still not making a forum meet - I did manage to introduce myself to Villemo...next time I'll be copying her t-shirt idea in an attempt to meet more people

Still finding the blues room scary. Personally I don't find the layout of the Boudoir particularly friendly or easy to find people to dance with unless you actually see people you know in there. Thought I'd got over my fear at Eclipse in June, but it's going to take knowing more people to get me in there.

Other
    Music was generally spot on for me. Main room was mostly my cup of tea - good enough variety, and whenever I wandered through the blues room I heard some cracking tracks.

Cabaret - I usually get swept away by the intensity of tango, but didn't feel it with Jenny & Ricardo's 3 routines, although the technical side was great.

Spent way too much money at dancewear stall.

If Splash stays as a 'tango' weekender then I'm unlikely to go back to it, but am looking forward to more weekenders at Southport.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Random incoherent thoughts.....

I had the most Fabulous weekend!

It was full of outrageous laughter, high spirits, happiness, fab music and wonderful dances!

The journey up there was a bit of a pain but it was so worth it. Southport really is 'the best' venue!

My chalet couldn't have been nearer and 'my' view wasn't blocked by the funfair! It was just as well it was near though, as I promptly lost my only street shoes on the first night and had to wear my dance shoes to and from the venue Thankfully they turned up this morning!

Its really hard for me to pick a favourite time as I had so many!

I loved nearly all of the music and found people who could dance all sorts of styles to suit. I even had a double trouble Salsa and Cha cha!

Personally, I didn't think the Milonga felt intimidating, my only complaint would be that I didn't get to dance with anyone I didn't already know, as basically I'm an impatient so n so, who can't bear waiting 3 tracks (a full tanda) to find a new partner! The Tango music was spot on though, as were all the Tango's I did have (particular thanks to Marc, Warren, Ant and Rob A)

Saturday's S'funk set was right up my street! Plenty of the Old School, singalong stuff (I nearly lost my voice but unluckily for some, I didn't!)

Just wannna say... Ooops up side ya head, I said Opps up side your head! SF, you did a great job matey!

I liked the Hedonistic room, or Igloo as some called it, I had some sublime dances in there. Azande and Dave Hancock.. woo hoo!
    I met Mike Ellard in there while he was having a well earned breather on Sunday but he was still coming up with new idea's that he might try for next time

I had a 'little' go in the main room but as much as I enjoyed it... my legs didn't.

My biggest mistake of the weekend was having a roast dinner for breakfast, immediately followed by 4 x 160bpm dances on the trot, in 'Swingers Hour' My good God, I thought someone had tied lumps of lead to my calves! It took me a while (and a kind volunteer) to get the lactic acid build up out of them!

I'd like to say thank you to DTS and Rob May for unselfishly handing me their cameras and giving me a free rain. Photo's up on FB

Also, thanks to Rob and Gerry for chauffeuring me

I'm sure I'll think of lots of things i've forgotten but right now, I need some sleep! Zzzzzz
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Not quite coherent yet, but here it goes…

THE GOOD

This was the most dancing I have ever done on a weekender! A lot of the music was not really to my taste, but I enjoyed enough of it, and I had some fab dances! In this case, the people there more than made up for not liking the music at times!
    Just to mention a few (sorry to the ones I forget, it does not mean the dance was not memorable, it simply means I don’t know your name or my brain has given up J):
    David Y, David N, David S, Dave the Scaffolder (wow, we need more David’s…), Daryl, Raphael, Lee, Duncan, Colin, Colin and Colin (yup, we need some more Colin’s too…) Stephen, Ian, Malcolm, Stokie, and the new fab find of the weekend; Rob.
    I had such a good time dancing!
    Meeting new friends! Thanks Team C, for great food (the lasagna was to kill for), great wine, and a hilarious time J.
    I enjoyed Tiggerbabe’s sets, and was a bit surprised how much I ended up enjoying the Funk sets.
    My chalet mate, Kazibaby! My driver, Princess Fi.
    Location of the chalet! Right next to the venue – couldn’t be better. Can’t really complain about much with it either. Reasonable clean (nothing growing in the bathroom/kitchen that I could see), stove, kettle and microwave all worked. Bed was a bit lumpy, but I still managed my 10 hr sleep Saturday morning/afternoon.
    Great layout of the venue, and the little chill-out tent was a nice touch.

THE BAD

The blues room did not feel like a blues room a lot of the time. Music on Friday was not good (imo), and Saturday was variable. The music overall did not really do it for me.
    I did not enjoy the 1.5 hrs of Swing music.
    Did not dance in the main room at all. Really didn’t like the music.
    None of the classes appealed to me. Sorry. Don’t feel it’s a good learning environment, and prefer to spend my time being social.
    My shoes. I think they are due for retirement…
    As been said before, the restrooms was below out-house standard! Dirty, leaky, nasty. Unacceptable!
    Getting food on Sunday… Pontins would never survive as a restaurant. I have never seen worse service when it comes to serving people. We had to wait more than 30 min for the till to be changed, and people were also turned away from the bar at other times due to the one person who could take food orders were not there (the rest of the bar staff could not take the orders). Food was good once we could order and be served.

Overall the weekend was great, and I’m all booked for February.
    Hope to see you all there J
    Now, off to bed…

Not my review but my mate Noels...

"Well just what can you say about this weekend . Well the music was good the venue was good it was run well. Now any of you that know me know I say what I think well sorry if I offend anyone as I don't mean to but I thought blues room meant blues music not this modern love/chill out music that you play when making love I thou ght it meant Blues music. Not being an expert but saying what I think, Apart from that the weekend was really good, but now need to rest a few days to get back in to work ha ha sorry if I am saying what you don't want to hear but that is life get over it"

Now mine (brief as always)...

Good -

- Dancing with with anyone i danced with
    - Music in the blues room. Like at Brean, more chill out music which I prefer.
    - Chomp bars
    - No refusals

Bad -

- A few faces missing...
    - Not dancing with certain people and again not dancing enough
    - Missing the rollerblading thingy

The Ugly

- Way too crowded making me go out later than usual.
    - Not making it out at all on Sunday night because I wasn't feeling to good.

That is all.
    Last edited by Steven666; 19th-October-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ....and the Latin room experiment with Tango/WCS, though brave, didn't work for me personally. ...
    I'm curious why. Would you care to expand on that ?

My viewpoint is while the WCS classes in the booklet* are minimal, the Tango range looks at least on par with earlier JA events.

Freestyle/practice matching a good range of quality classes is one of the major things IMO missing from most Ceroc events (if partly because of the short gap between classes and therefore limited relevant freestyle).

So having classes/freestyle matching at least in part seems very desirable.

But do the benefits of that outweigh the benefits of having an extra jive room / keeping it 'latin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    The blues room did not feel like a blues room a lot of the time.
    Just wondering whether this was after 02:30 or not.

According to the PDF* it was blues rather than 'chill out', only after that time.

* PDF link helpfully posted by DavidY is at (http://www.ceroc.com/splash/SPLASH_2009_booklet_web.pdf)

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Personally, I didn't think the Milonga felt intimidating, my only complaint would be that I didn't get to dance with anyone I didn't already know, as basically I'm an impatient so n so, who can't bear waiting 3 tracks (a full tanda) to find a new partner!
    Not finding anyone new to dance with, is sort of my definition of intimidating.

Do they do tandas at Ceroc events, rather than using Ceroc conventions ?

most amusing
    ----------------

watching david and val get line dancing support from the back of the room during their classes

lip reading davids un-micced comments when he spotted them

Thread Information