Thread: Q about rail links

Commercial Operator

Q about rail links

Hi, peeps...

Just a quick Q...

If someone had to travel by train to a Northern city/town (though why they'd want to is a completely differentquestion), anyone any ideas which would be easiest reached from multiple directions?!?!?

Thank you, in advance.

Re: Q about rail links

I think as a general rule the railways are OK if you want to travel up/down the country but less so if you want to travel across it so stations on either the east or west coast main lines should be fine for people travelling up/down from further south/north but less useful for those who are east/west of your choice.

I don't travel by train very often though so my perception may not be that accurate

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I think as a general rule the railways are OK if you want to travel up/down the country but less so if you want to travel across it so stations on either the east or west coast main lines should be fine for people travelling up/down from further south/north but less useful for those who are east/west of your choice.

I don't travel by train very often though so my perception may not be that accurate
    This was my perception, too, Rob, which makes choosing one single Northern venue for a meeting easily accessible a challenge. Am not sure if there is an answer...

I was kinda thinking Manchester or Leeds. Sheffield maks sense geographically, but I imagine that's a disaster to get to...

this map might be of assitance - it is from National Rail website & shows passenger lines for the UK

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...nt_maps/uk.pdf

I've never passed my driving test, so I do loads of train travel. Accessability is not just a question of the geographical centre, more that you need fast links to other places.

I'd suggest Birmingham, or maybe Leicester or Derby. They have good services to other places and don't get skipped by ''fasts".

Brum has fast direct services to Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. Crewe and Manchester have these too, but are inconvenient from everywhere else.

No where is going to be convenient for people south of London, as they'll almost certainly have to cross London to get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    This was my perception, too, Rob, which makes choosing one single Northern venue for a meeting easily accessible a challenge. Am not sure if there is an answer...

I was kinda thinking Manchester or Leeds. Sheffield maks sense geographically, but I imagine that's a disaster to get to...
    If you're travelling by train, how accessible the venue is from the station matters, and can easily outweigh a significant train travel distance.

If fares matter, costs of travel can be quite different for similar distances.

The principal railway lines other than those to/from London in the centre of the country are:-

Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield, (Leeds or Doncaster), York.

Manchester Airport, Manchester (via Huddersfield) Leeds, York.

Sheffield has just about the worst journey times from London, and the least frequent service from London, though the frequency may well improve in the next timetable.

Thread Information