Thread: itunes 9. Where did everything go?

itunes 9. Where did everything go?

aargh!

how can i now view new releases by genre? The only thing I can filter is genius results, but that shows everything. I just want to see shiny new releases, not older stuff.

Am i being very stupid?

Re: itunes 9. Where did everything go?

Yes I am not too enthusiastic about iTunes 9,I much preferred the older versions,everything seemed easier to find and was much more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackisleboy View Post
    Am i being very stupid?
    Yea - you're using I tunes

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    yep: on my pretty, shiny mac....

anyway, crisis over - found the (very subtle) drop-down taking me to my R&B/soul section. Phew.

Why do you say that.
    Would you care to elaborate

Why? Because I have a *lot* of music. And I don't like I tunes deciding how I should organise it and forcing me to use it's interface to view/organise/buy/play it. To go to my R&B/Soul collection I open the folder that has these tracks in it. I could also browse my compilations folder and see if any of the albums there are relevant. Or I could look for a specific artist's folder to see if they have an album I want a track or two from.
    (relevant tracks from albums I copy to a categorised folder - I like to keep my whole albums as whole albums and individual tracks in category folders.)
    I can also use the built in explorer's 'find' function and order by clicking on the titles.

I was also burnt the first time I used i-tunes: got an i-pod that someone had spent ages putting putting about three thousand songs on it for a Christmas... synced it with my computer... wiped all the songs.
    Kinna starts me off on a negative outlook towards it.

It is also a Mac product. And I have been on the receiving end of some snobbish, arrogant, self-opinionated people who seem to think the tools en stow talent on the user.

I have I tunes, but only so that I can convert it's native format into MP3. (But I've since sourced another program that does it, so it is never fired up.)

Why? Because I have a *lot* of music. And I don't like I tunes deciding how I should organise it and forcing me to use it's interface to view/organise/buy/play it. To go to my R&B/Soul collection I open the folder that has these tracks in it. I could also browse my compilations folder and see if any of the albums there are relevant. Or I could look for a specific artist's folder to see if they have an album I want a track or two from.
    (relevant tracks from albums I copy to a categorised folder - I like to keep my whole albums as whole albums and individual tracks in category folders.)
    I can also use the built in explorer's 'find' function and order by clicking on the titles.

I was also burnt the first time I used i-tunes: got an i-pod that someone had spent ages putting putting about three thousand songs on it for a Christmas... synced it with my computer... wiped all the songs.
    Kinna starts me off on a negative outlook towards it.

It is also a Mac product. And I have been on the receiving end of some snobbish, arrogant, self-opinionated people who seem to think the tools en stow talent on the user.

I have I tunes, but only so that I can convert it's native format into MP3. (But I've since sourced another program that does it, so it is never fired up.)
    millions of people use itunes, would you say they are all stupid?
    it has the function to create your own playlist, if an album is loaded it keeps that information listed as an album ... or you can't do whatever you want. create sub-lists, whatever.
    when syncing an ipod to a pc, this can be done without over-writing all of the data stored on the ipod.
    it may not be the best method, but i find it to be a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by locoman View Post
    millions of people use itunes, would you say they are all stupid?
    Nope. Most I would say are ignorant of other possibilities and unwilling to look for alternatives - and why should they if it does what they want and they know how to use it?

Most folk will want something that plays tunes & the mac/i-pod marketing is brilliant: your music player is not an "mp3 player" or "walkman" or "personal audio device" - it's an i-pod. Like Hoover is associated with vacuum cleaner, i-pod is with music player.

Once you have one, then you need i-tunes to update it. Once you are there, you may as well compose play-lists, organise your music, buy music, etc. with it. Why look anywhere else?

it has the function to create your own playlist, if an album is loaded it keeps that information listed as an album ... or you can't do whatever you want. create sub-lists, whatever.
    As can I. The MP3 file format has embedded tags for stuff like that. If you are only looking at your music through i-tunes and an i-pod, then there is no problem. Personally I don't. And I don't like what it does 'behind the scenes'.
    I use dedicated DJ software that lets me choose how/where a track starts and stops within a playlist and has lots of stuff i-tunes doesn't have - but would be over-kill for the general user.
    when syncing an ipod to a pc, this can be done without over-writing all of the data stored on the ipod.
    it may not be the best method, but i find it to be a pretty good one.
    And I can drag & drop tunes to and from my MP3 player to my computer or my daughter's MP3 player or my phone, ... I found i-tunes/i-pods too limiting: My choice. Probably not the best method either, but it works for me.

i hear what you are saying & i guess alot of us already know that.
    i just don't think people are dumb for using itunes.
    i too source music from other places & load it to itunes.
    i think the ipod is superb & strangely enough has become an iconic item, much as the original sony walkmans were.
    your method may be superior, i don't know. if it works for you thats good, but i like itunes & my ipod.

Lets not assume that just because you have iTunes you have an i-Pod.I neither have nor desire one
    Nevertheless iTunes works very well for me as a source and organiser of my music.
    But I still dont like the present format and layout.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Lets not assume that just because you have iTunes you have an i-Pod.I neither have nor desire one
    Nevertheless iTunes works very well for me as a source and organiser of my music.
    But I still dont like the present format and layout.

i hear what you are saying & it is a pain that some of the features have changed. what can you do?
    but, i suppose once given a try it will become the norm & may even be better?
    there are some useful new features i think & for me its not changed to a degree that really causes a problem.

Thread Information