Thread: pc problems once again

pc problems once again

I have McCafee on my laptop which has been great until this week. The pc has gone really slow. Outlook express has appeared on my desktop which I dont want there and cant seem to delete it. Also when I try to go into the control panel i click on this and the page will not open!! aaaaaaaaaahhhh What do I do? I can no longer add/remove programmes. Also the scan doesnt seem to be automatically running each day.
    Can anyone give me some advice please

Re: pc problems once again

ok .... sounds like corruption or virus to me.

a) how long has the laptop been misbehaving?

b) can you boot up in safe mode [F8 on bootup as I remember], and run a scan from there? And add/remove programs too.

Worst case will be re-install [including reseting the master boot record, in case of a root kit virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    ok .... sounds like corruption or virus to me.

a) how long has the laptop been misbehaving?

b) can you boot up in safe mode [F8 on bootup as I remember], and run a scan from there? And add/remove programs too.

Worst case will be re-install [including reseting the master boot record, in case of a root kit virus.
    Started about 4 weeks ago and was getting slower and slower. I had a couple of error "stack 24" messages that came up so I closed the pc and reopened.

Silly me took the laptop to Spain and went online for 2 mins - maybe McAfee wasnt on there.

Just ran a scan which has found 2 trojan but cannot do anything with. I am now running a degramenter (what) which has taken 2 hours so far but pc seems alot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Started about 4 weeks ago and was getting slower and slower. I had a couple of error "stack 24" messages that came up so I closed the pc and reopened.

Silly me took the laptop to Spain and went online for 2 mins - maybe McAfee wasnt on there.

Just ran a scan which has found 2 trojan but cannot do anything with. I am now running a degramenter (what) which has taken 2 hours so far but pc seems alot faster.
    Ok ... so you've found viruses. That's good! Shame you can're remove them. Find out what they are, and what their payload (potential damage) is. Time gone by, there used to be manual methods for getting rid of viruses. Someone with technical know (and access to your laptop) how might be able to help there.

Degramenter?? Do you mean defragmenter? [Re-organises the files on your hard drive ... because lots of file creation and deletion goes on, especially with temporary files, some files will get fragmented, ie bits of that file existing non-contiguously, on different parts of the hard drive ... de-fragmenting re-organises these more efficiently.]

Possibly try on of the online virus checkers. I believe that Panda antivirus have one. I really don't know how effective these are, but it's worth a shot see here

If the worst comes to the worst, you may have to take it to a PC repair shop .... and pray ... it may come back totally factory default!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I have McCafee on my laptop which has been great until this week. The pc has gone really slow. Outlook express has appeared on my desktop which I dont want there and cant seem to delete it. Also when I try to go into the control panel i click on this and the page will not open!! aaaaaaaaaahhhh What do I do? I can no longer add/remove programmes. Also the scan doesnt seem to be automatically running each day.
    Can anyone give me some advice please
    http://free.antivirus.com/

free online scanner

Thread Information