Thread: Jive Magazine

Jive Magazine

From John Sweeney's excellent monthly round up of the scene: there is a new Jive magazine being launched in early November. Called....Jive Magazine.

Looks like it will be bi-monthly and cost £12 for 6 issues.

See http://www.jivemagazine.co.uk/

The November issue includes:

The Who’s Who of the dance world ( hmmm....that could be interesting)

Focus on Teachers: Amir Giles, Nigel & Nina

Last months photograph’s from around the
    UK & European dance holidays

What’s on; weekly classes, freestyles, weekenders,
    holidays & competitions

What’s new
    Doc Dance, answering your dance related questions

Sounds good to me!! I'm not sure who is behind it? I wonder who 'Doc Dance' is?

I wish it every success!

Blog Entries

Re: Jive Magazine

I wish them every success too, but I wouldn't pay for it based purely on the amateurish, gaudy-looking website.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong when it arrives, but the self-promotion doesn't bode well for the publication so far.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    From John Sweeney's excellent monthly round up of the scene: there is a new Jive magazine being launched in early November. Called....Jive Magazine.
    Yeah? Whats it about?

Focus on Teachers: Amir Giles, Nigel & Nina
    Is there a nude centrefold ? What kind of magazine is this exactly ?

Last months photograph’s from around the
    UK & European dance holidays
    Candid?

If I'm not in it, it can't be all that good

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I wish them every success too, but I wouldn't pay for it based purely on the amateurish, gaudy-looking website.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong when it arrives, but the self-promotion doesn't bode well for the publication so far.

Yup The site deff needs some work doing to it. Bad websites are not the best way to promote things. This is esp true when promoting a magazine or anything else that is art / print work.

Side note: you sould see some of the poor web designers websites that are about, yet they still get work !!!!!

Originally from Falkirk, now living in Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    If I'm not in it, it can't be all that good
    Looks like you could send in photos of yourself ....maybe you could be the nude centrefold

I seem to remember once upon a blue moon that Gus talked about a desire to create a magazine. . . . .

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The November issue includes:

The Who’s Who of the dance world ( hmmm....that could be interesting)
    Very interesting!

I can see this monthly mag providing lot's of new fodder for the forum to discuss

What’s new
    Doc Dance, answering your dance related questions

Sounds good to me!! I'm not sure who is behind it? I wonder who 'Doc Dance' is?
    HA HA, I hope its a bit like 'The Stig' and we never find out, we could spend years speculating
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I seem to remember once upon a blue moon that Gus talked about a desire to create a magazine. . . . .
    On-line e-zine. I think he got together enough material for one or two issues, but an overwhelming round of apathy from people to contribute left it sinking slowly into the abyss.

Launce of online MJ magazine

For those of you who've been around long enough, you may remember that Ceroc put out a (free) glossy magazine in 1999ish that only ran to 3 editions. I remember it well as the 3 front covers included 1) Viktor and Lydia, 2) Dan Baines and Lisa, 3) Me and my partner Karmal. I have copies if anyone's keen on seeing history......

At the time I did think there was barely enough material to fill the things, and although the modern jive dance community is significantly larger than it was in those 'good old days' with certainly much more going on, I must admit I'm not convinced this is going to be a huge commercial success.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the success in the world, and maybe this is about providing a service rater than making some money. However thinking of this purely from a strategic marketing persective (that's my proper job by the way), surely people would prefer to pay money to dance rather than pay money to read about someone else doing it?

Most of the gossip seems to be covered here on this (free) forum and there are a plethora of websites giving out information.

I'm interested to see how it does.......

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Well the only clues as to who it's by, are the names Jo and Gary and an address in Stockport. I can't say as it looks particularly interesting from the website though.

... and he did, an online one with remarkably similar intent to this new one thats being touted ... ran for a while but couldn't get enough contributions so decided it wasn't going to work at that point.

Not sure about a hardcopy magazine. Unless you know about writing proper copy, attracting advertisers etc you're not going to make it. As has been said, web-site suggest a rather amateurish approach. Would you pay £12 when so much information is free online. Come tyo think of it, why a hardcopy? Using a net based version would be so much cheaper to produce. Any idea who is behind it?

I still think there is a market for a good quality magazine .... but the key selling factor will be the quality of the contributions IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    Looks like you could send in photos of yourself ....maybe you could be the nude centrefold

Quote Originally Posted by Rob May View Post
    For those of you who've been around long enough, you may remember that Ceroc put out a (free) glossy magazine in 1999ish that only ran to 3 editions. I remember it well as the 3 front covers included 1) Viktor and Lydia, 2) Dan Baines and Lisa, 3) Me and my partner Karmal. I have copies if anyone's keen on seeing history..........
    I have them too Rob - and they were excellent !!! (didn't realise there were only the 3)

....... I must admit I'm not convinced this is going to be a huge commercial success.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the success in the world, and maybe this is about providing a service rater than making some money. However thinking of this purely from a strategic marketing persective (that's my proper job by the way), surely people would prefer to pay money to dance rather than pay money to read about someone else doing it?

Most of the gossip seems to be covered here on this (free) forum and there are a plethora of websites giving out information.

although I a m not sure how many people would pay for them - I certainly wouldn't

BTW the first ever MJ e-zine was included in the "What's on in Brighton page" and written by a chap could Robert Heaven (from Brighton) - my list was first aired on the webb on this, which was 1995 - Unfortunately (due to lack of material) it only lasted a few months, however with the help of Stuart Forsyth my list stayed on the webb on his site (also an e-zine) then about 10years ago - I went alone !

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Dashing Moderator

I must admit I'm not convinced this is going to be a huge commercial success.
    I think publishers of printed media are finding it increasingly hard to turn a profit as more and more free information is available electronically.

[Geek Moment]
    Personal Computer World magazine, which started by covering "hobbyist" computers that people built themselves in the 70s, covered 80s classics such as the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum, and graduated to Macs, PCs, Laptops etc., ceased publishing a few months ago. Times are tough for magazines.
    [/Geek Moment]

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Well the only clues as to who it's by, are the names Jo and Gary and an address in Stockport. I can't say as it looks particularly interesting from the website though.
    I've just been cleaning out old emails, and I notice that a couple of the emails from Keith Davies (of Revolution Dance) purport to come from "keith@jivemagazine.co.uk". So presumably he's involved in this.
    Love dance, will travel

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think publishers of printed media are finding it increasingly hard to turn a profit as more and more free information is available electronically.
    It'll be interesting to see if there's anything in this mag, that a) I don't already know, b) I 'want' to know c) I couldn't find out on here

The only time I ever buy a magazine these days, is when I go on a plane and I have to confess, the reason I chose the mags last time was, they were both giving away a free CD with them.
    (BTW, one was on Photography and one was on Macs... not very girlie, am I? )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

And here it is, in all its "fossilised" glory.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    [Geek Moment]
    Personal Computer World magazine, which started by covering "hobbyist" computers that people built themselves in the 70s, covered 80s classics such as the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum, and graduated to Macs, PCs, Laptops etc., ceased publishing a few months ago. Times are tough for magazines.
    [/Geek Moment]
    I think magazines are still doing ok. I just checked here and they are doing surprisingly well. I think PCWs problem was they really did not move with the times and found their niche market forever decreasing. Last time I read PCW I found it dull and statistical with no real personality.

Looks like it will be bi-monthly and cost £12 for 6 issues.
    So ... has anyone bought a copy? Is there a Doc Dance problem page?

Thread Information