Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breeze 2009- The Aftermath

Re: Breeze - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    On a side note and as I'm talking about Dj's I think they picked the most challenging track ever for the final song in the blues comp!! So even though I felt like this.. again job well done!!

:
    well its a good job they did pick such a challenging track, it sorted the boy from the men so to speak.

well done to you and Grovey dancer on your 1st place

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

, the 2nd room at Breeze is a Chill Out room and as such will play a broad range of music - and therefore the DJ's will play to the floor. If the people on the floor respond to latin, funky, blues... whatever THAT is what will be played. As an example, in the last slot on Sun when I started to introduce Blues, the floor was half as full as it was previously - and the moment I stopped and moved to a soft R&B track it filled up again.
    :
    A good DJ will watch the room IMO and play to the crowd, isnt that what makes a good DJ and why we moan so much about play lists and lap tops

I know I can be a pain asking for Motown & disco I also know if the DJ can put one in for me they will but its not allways appropriate, so it dosn't get played that's fine its not all about ME although we think we are the most important people we have to let the DJ do there job, which IMO Ceroc have the best

amazing weekend

excellent
    my room being where it was lol the only way to be closer would have neen to sleep in pub.
    after party parties so many people so many thanks
    music in all rooms esp sfunk, silver fox played a fab set rockys et in main room wicked and marcs sets thanks for playing click alwasy picks me up and makes me smile.
    my roomie thanks herbie and most other people that used mine as a dumping ground esp fletch lol love ya babe
    dances with mr ceroc hime self wow i think i managed 3 all weekend
    marc f as always (bitch) lol, bulldog, raph, tom baker, tanzin, matt,
    my dwas partner revdrop
    franck well he was a tad tipsy but still a amazing dance
    tiggerbabe so glad i asked u to dance so smooth and fab lead
    the floors fab
    koska and mr darcy where ot start with u 2 my bottom missing u both
    meeting cs and haveing fun time with her and poi boy
    katherino and halo as alwasy girls love ya both

having a slump satnight (but was retrived by a man called noel from london wow love dancing with him)

the bad
    coming home
    not getting a dance with rocky
    and hearing about peoples stuff going missing

the rest

meeting mrs ceroc and danceing with her fab and aston he is so cute hope his balloons made it through the weekend bless

dts and bat girl so nice to see u both again and see you both at sp for another catch up lol

rogboy cooking on sunday to give me a break thanks babe

im sorry if i forget anyone fab weekend can not wait till sp

With regards to the music, Saturday evening/Sunday morning was the highlight for me with Vince's phenomenal set at 3ish. LOVED it!!

Also John Bakers extended set on Sunday afternoon in the pub was wonderful. I had fallen asleep that afternoon and woke to discover I had missed the first 20 minutes or so. Was so glad I made the effort to stumble dazed and confused to the pub.

The only downer on my weekend was my chalet which stunk. It was sooo smelly. All my stuff had to be washed when I got home. I did complain on Saturday morning but Mike was unable to see me until mid afternoon - decided to put up and shut up rather than miss things I had planned to do.

All in all a wonderful weekend with wonderful dances and company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Also John Bakers extended set on Sunday afternoon in the pub was wonderful.
    Was legendary.

The only downer for me was missing my chalet mate winning the comp. Sorry, Frog. (But you knew I thought you'd win! )

Favourite dance -

Val was close on Friday when Rocky was playing and Sarah was great, but a lovely lady who was wearing a bath or bristol uni sweatshirt during the day and who looks familair (first weekender, perhaps I've seen her at Utopia or a workshop) was my favourite.

Seen her in Mark's funky classes and noticed that all the chaps dancing with her were doing very elegant stuff as she was tall and elegant. Pure fluke a funky track came on and grabbed her for a dance. Asked my usual question on dips, drops and leans and got a yeah, why not what's the worse that could happen. A couple of wraps to gauge her travel and an open first move which led to a seriously funky bit of stepping from her and I thought, lets have some fun and we were away. whips, combs, dips, leans, steps. Both sweating a lot by the end of it, but thanked her for the lovely dance and got a that was wicked in return.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

Music
    Here is my only gripe and it is only a personal opinion (again blighted by pain)
    any weekender advertising the ceroc blues championships will attract blues dancers surely the music in the coz room would be biased towards them

Out of the whole weekend there were only four hours of blues music for freestyle the rest was a mix of sfunk and general chill out

Vince)
    Marc Forster was also back on (imo) form he kept me in the room till 7 15 ish when he was puting his coat on and telling people he had to sleep

theres some blues coming he then played two blues tracks

overall
    I can’t agree with you about the music, there was plenty of bluesy music all weekend as well as other chill out tunes, something for everyone. I remember you saying to me that you were really not enjoying the last set (kanye West, Flo rida etc) but I was loving it and had some great dances to them so I do think it is a personal choice.

No one can love all the music all the time but if you enjoy the majority I feel that is acceptable and I think but would not know without asking everyone else but going by all the other people I spoke to that on the whole most people enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    '

As you were told time and time again, the 2nd room at Breeze is a Chill Out room and as such will play a broad range of music - and therefore the DJ's will play to the floor. If the people on the floor respond to latin, funky, blues... whatever THAT is what will be played. As an example, in the last slot on Sun when I started to introduce Blues, the floor was half as full as it was previously - and the moment I stopped and moved to a soft R&B track it filled up again.

at least try to accept that the music at a weekender is designed to cater to the majority and not the vocal minority.

Yes for a large event like this you do need to appeal to the majority but perhaps there should be a survey done on attendees to find out what we really liked and what we didn’t to see if there is a common theme, I doubt there would be because music is so personal and tracks that touch one person may go over another’s’ head

I played 2 hours of almost solid blues music during my set on Saturday, 9-11 pm, as it was the lead in to the blues competiton. But, unfortunately, nobody was there to hear it until people suddenly started arriving en masse at 10.20

I'm only hoping it was the early time, cabaret in the main room & rain that prevented people being there, not the fact it was my name on the dj rota ...

Rachel

My first Ceroc weekender since Storm in March, so was v excited about Breeze. Also hugely nervous as I was taking part in the Open (again) but with the home crowd watching, plus two very special chalet-roomies on their first weekender For those of you who met Bri and Abby, cheers for making them feel right at home.

The brilliant;

Seeing so many of my friends (both Forum-ite and home crowd), in all the dance rooms, having fun fun fun!!

Eating crisps with Bri, Poi Boi and Crazy Shark in the blues room at 2 AM on Monday morning, and competing to see who could think up the smuttiest and most filthy innuendo going. This session ended with a huge tickle fight...I haven't laughed so hard in years

Bri's and my friend Abby coming to her first weekender very unsure and nervous, then finding her feet and having an absolute hoot. She beat us both in the dancing-til-the-wee-hours stakes, returning to the chalet at 4 AM every morning after dancing her feet off with some of the best leads going (her words). Thank you, you made her year.

Taking part in the Open with Patrick, hugely nerve-wracking considering the amazing standard of our fellow competitors. We didn't get past the first round but I have since been told we were very close to getting through, a real achievement for me Thanks to Patrick for all his dedication and also to Filthy Monkey for some last minute coaching, it paid off.

Tango classes with Marc and Rachel and the dreamy milonga on Sat night. At last - I had a partner with whom I can wear heels (Bri is 6'5), what a difference it makes. Wonderful!

The best dances of the weekend for me were to be had on the main floor between 11:30 PM and 1 AM Sunday/Monday, the atmosphere, music, dance partners and floor were just right. Had a great dance with Crazy Shark and a laugh trying to do tag/double trouble with her and Poi Boi as well.

The not so good;

I didn't get half as much Blues dancing in as I would've like, but that was partly my fault as my attention was somewhere else for most of the time, be it Open practice with Patrick or staying with Bri for some of the intermediate classes.

The weather, it was glorious last year but a bit more bleurgh this year.

The bad;

This was not applicable to Breeze 2009 Unless you count all the people who I didn't get a chance to dance or talk with as there were just so many friends there!

All in all, a chilled out and fab weekend - thanks!

Wonderful weekend

excellent
    Sway's Chalet being where it was !! Loved the after party parties
    Meeting lots of lovely new people
    music in all rooms esp sfunk, Rockys set in main room was v cool and Marc F's set on Sun Morn til 7 was AWESOME!!
    My two fantasctic roomies (Anne and Randy).. you both lovely, warm, funny and was great to share again!
    All my dances in the Blues Room on Sun night
    Alex & Phil's tag class on Sun afternoon..need I say more??
    Actually tagging with P&A on the Sunday night!!
    My DWAS partner was Revdrop's lovely wife JudIth, you kept me sane and I loved our dances
    Tiggerbabe so glad I finally asked u to dance.. a joy
    Sat night / Sun morning going Monster watching (you had to be there!)
    Finding out Rachel P is an Arsenal fan!!!!! Love you!!
    Sway..just for being you, love ya babes

The Bad
    coming home
    Finding out about peoples stuff going missing

the rest

Seeing dts and Bat girl; lovely to see u both again and see you both at SP
    Cooking on Sunday at Sway's..hope you all liked

If I have forgotten anyone, then my apologies... see you all at SP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I played 2 hours of almost solid blues music during my set on Saturday, 9-11 pm, as it was the lead in to the blues competiton. But, unfortunately, nobody was there to hear it until people suddenly started arriving en masse at 10.20

I'm only hoping it was the early time, cabaret in the main room & rain that prevented people being there, not the fact it was my name on the dj rota ...

Rachel
    ...didn't get out til 11pm

Rachel
    rachel if i could have been there i would have as you and marc are among my favourite djs on the circuit sadly i was dealing with a incident that was happening to a chelmsford dancer on her first weekender at the time

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my set on Saturday, 9-11 pm,
    ~snip~
    I reckon that has to be the crappiest slot for any DJ and doubt anyone would fill it hun.

It certainly isn't a reflection of your Djing skills!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

well done to you and Grovey dancer on your 1st place

I know who Froggy is now.

A good DJ will watch the room IMO and play to the crowd, isnt that what makes a good DJ and why we moan so much about play lists and lap tops

I know I can be a pain asking for Motown & disco I also know if the DJ can put one in for me they will but its not allways appropriate, so it dosn't get played that's fine its not all about ME although we think we are the most important people we have to let the DJ do there job, which IMO Ceroc have the best
    On Saturday night if you'd have come back as planned, Smood played 3 great motown tracks.

I had to dance to them on my own without you.

I only heard Smood's Saturday night set in the main room, missed the Friday night one, as was not given a welcome pack.

Saturday's was brilliant. Hope we can have more happinesSmood.

Just thinking about the blues competition ..

I was absolutely taken with a couple that were in the final and couldn't take my eyes off of them they were mesmerising, their dance, connection and moves and was gobsmacked when they didn't win.

Not taking it away from Dale and his partner they were fabulous as were the other finalists but I was just wondering what is actually looked for in a winning couple?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I reckon that has to be the crappiest slot for any DJ and doubt anyone would fill it hun.

It certainly isn't a reflection of your Djing skills!
    Yeah, i went in and came out as they were all practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    f]Main floor in the blues room was perfect the other floor was not quite as good but very passable.
    I agree with this. I much preferred dancing on the main floor in the blues room. The temporary floor felt quite spongy. I attended an event the previous weekend where the temp floor was superb.

My first weekender:

What a fantastic place, rows & rows of chalets, all filled with dancers... What struck me walking to/from the chalet is that everyone is so happy - people everywhere you recognise from classes saying hello, + people you've never seen before smiling at you anyway !

Everyone high on dancing.

To me the a weekender high is little like the regular "hit" from a regular dance night, but with an increased dosage of around x10. Similar ingredients, just on a huge scale and for much much longer

So much variety, - learning different things in different lessons, meeting new people, making new friends, watching competition & cabaret, spending quality time with old friends and new ones, back at the luxury apartment early morning taking stock of the night whilst eating strawberry's & drinking champagne from flutes (!)

Loved every minute.

I attended 8 classes in total - I really enjoyed all of them!

I was (very pleasantly) suprised to see so many people I know from my local venues, most stayed in the main room much of the time, - great to see many familiar faces around & get to know people better.

Talking of the main room, I found the floor a bit too fast for my leather soles, still good fun though & I had some lovely dances - I also had my very first dance (2 actually) with a BLOKE (shock horror!!!!), - some random guy called Kevin, - he followed beautifully! - a new experience for me having a geezer at the end of my arm

When I first entered the blues room Friday night I found it a tiny bit intimidating, I've not done much freestyle blues before & the place seemed full of excellent dancers. I think it's quite a magical place... - the music was brilliant. Where do they find all these tracks?! So many fantastic dancers in there, - amazing to watch,.. - & also just to take in the whole atmosphere of the place, - quite unique! Truely a lovely place to be in., - especially as the night goes on as the atmosphere seems to change...

Lovely as well to see quite a few of the teachers just dancing in more of a relaxed state (instead of working etc & rushing around if you see what I mean). I remember watching one particular dance Howard had with someone, - I have seen him freestyle before, but nothing like that, - phenomenal.

Great to meet a few forumites! I really enjoyed some lovely dances with Maxine, Lory & Sunnybunny,.. - oh, & Brighton Belle too on the Friday (seems ages ago now!) - - all of you are fantastic dancers.

I may have shared 1 or 2 wonderful dances with Jay Jay on Monday morning too... (or was it 8 or 9 ?!?!) -- a friend sneakily video'd us dancing at one point, i'll send it over if you like!

I'm so glad i'm booked up on Bliss! No way I could wait much longer to go on another dance weekend. Need to get Storm booked too...

I recorded quite a bit from the Blues competition also, - if people are interested & there's no objections I'll whack them on youtube.
    Last edited by Phil_dB; 6th-October-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Well my brain still hasn't caught up with itself yet, but that is always a good sign of a fun weekend!

Me and Crazy Shark had a fantastic time together at her first ever weekender. A huge heartfelt thanks to all those that made her feel so welcome and made her time there so much fun, you all know who you are. I loved hearing about who she had been dancing with, and the random antics she got up to. I did say to her before hand that she would feel like she had loads of friends the second she walked into the Blues room, and she really did. So thanks again to all.

It was great to see so many forumites again, and put names to faces of so many new ones, Brighton Belle, Tessa, Koshka were all great finds.

As for my experience of the weekend, I didn't dance as much as I have done in my previous visits there, but that was probably because I was so rarely allowed to leave the floor I just got knackered out quicker! From the sounds of it the classes often had a huge number of women over,a but the blues room seemed relatively balanced most of the time. I guess I should just take it as a big compliment that I was rarely allowed off the floor, even when dripping with sweat, half dead or with CS sat on my lap!

The Blues comp, as always was a real joy to watch. Big congrats to Sarah and Dale on their win, and Carl and Susie were fantastic to watch as well and it must have been tough for the judges to pick the winner between them. I'le be honest, I didn't pay an awful lot of attention to the other couples, my eyes were flitting between those two.

As for the music, the only set I didn't enjoy that much was in the blues room around 1-2 or so on sunday night, it was just too slow for that time of the night, and despite OXO (I think) being on after and playing some cracking tracks, my body had given up the ghost by then.

I even ventured into the main room for a while on the sunday night, and hit upon a great set being played and had some great dances, a rare treat for me.

Despite only doing AT for a few months, I also really enjoyed the Milonga on sat night. I only planned on being there for a few dances with Kel and hopefully to grab Rachael (so sorry we didnt get a chance to dance all weekend!) and ended up staying there for quite some time, sadly neglecting CS a bit Thanks to all those that helped me gain a bit more confidence in AT, I can't wait to carry on with it.

I dunno about anyone else, but just around where my chalet was, I noticed quite a few empty rooms that clearly were never used all weekend, so the sell out status of the weekend may have been misleading. I was sad to find out that Stokie and Essie were not coming cos the event was supposed to have been sold out.

All in all a great weekend filled with great dances, great people and great memories! A big thanks to all the people that helped make it special, and to my special girl too

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I recorded quite a bit from the Blues competition also, - if people are interested & there's no objections I'll whack them on youtube.
    The comp's weren't being filmed (unfortuntaely there wasn't a good enough response to the Blues Comp only DVD's last year to make it financially viable) so you're welcome to put up whatever you like.

Its a shame the blues comp / Dance with a stranger couldn't be included on the main dvd given it's all apart of the weekend, at least the finals if not the whole thing would be good. I also would love for the blues room to be filmed rather than just the thunderball room, I saw some of the footage that was on the DVD and (I only saw a small clip but imo) it seemed to lack flair and style which was not my experience of the weekend.

Maybe something that could be considered for Splash? 3 rooms 3 sets of filming - just re reflect the diversity and also means we aren't missing out being filmed just because we prefer non main room music.

Thread Information