Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breeze 2009- The Aftermath

Re: Breeze - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    ....Finding out about peoples stuff going missing .......
    Quote Originally Posted by sway
    ......and hearing about peoples stuff going missing ....
    Such a shame when that happens - I remember when things went missing at Southport a few years ago - you start getting paranoid about where you left your bag

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    Not taking it away from Dale and his partner they were fabulous as were the other finalists but I was just wondering what is actually looked for in a winning couple?
    Well, short of going through the whole subject, broadly speaking Blues is all about musicality first and foremost, and then intimacy - and then as regards the competition format, it's all that + content. When you have that in mind you'll notice that some of the couple's had the musical interpretation, some had intimacy and some had bags of content but IMO only 4 couples had it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    Its a shame the blues comp / Dance with a stranger couldn't be included on the main dvd given it's all apart of the weekend, at least the finals if not the whole thing would be good. .
    It would be great, but as the DVD's go on sale Sunday morning so that people have a chance to buy them before they leave it's not possible as the Blues Final is on the Sunday night - it's not ideal, but short of taking over the whole of Saturday with the competition it's the only way everything can be fitted into the schedule without affecting other people's enjoyment of the w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I may have shared 1 or 2 wonderful dances with Jay Jay on Monday morning too... (or was it 8 or 9 ?!?!) -- a friend sneakily video'd us dancing at one point, i'll send it over if you like!
    I have to say it was more like 8 or 9 and they went so quickly, fab, fab, fab....let me know where you stick the video so I can have a peek

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Need to get Storm booked too...

Ok sport fans...Let slip the dogs of war and cry HAVOC, here we go then.

STUNNING weekend pips just stunning.

Journey down...Who gives a monkey?

Accommodation....Brilliant.

Food...Bang on me lovelies the restaurant was excellent and good value too.

Music.....Outstanding, did not hear a bad track all weekend. Now I am not a late night, early morning dancer. I have one rule...Dance until I am unable to move or keep my eyes open then go to bed, so by 2 am me and the Bat was snoring, farting and cuddling in our beds.

Silver Fox.....I think I would marry him quite frankly, outstanding sfunk sets, my jaw is still aching from the vibe he gives off. Now I am sh1t at knowing the dj,s but in all honestly the music was superb all weekend. Now then pips if a track comes on and you don't like it have a drink, chat and take time to chill for a minute or two.

Dancers, I think we get the very best social dancers in the country at these weekends, now therein lies the rub......We are all SOCIAL DANCERS, just social dancers pips so don't take it so serious and have fun my lovers, have fun.

I could name all of the wonderfull dancer's that I danced with but it would just be a list of the top dancer's in the country..

That's about it really pips...Another blinding weekend which all of the Ceroc crew deserve a big up from us all.

Keep it up Mike and Dave today Breeze tomorrow the world.
    Only one small tiny point pips on Friday night me old knee's had gone and I could hardly walk, let alone dance, so me and the Bat was sat down chatting and socializing in the Blues room. Now due to my no refusal policy, I was asked again and again to dance by men and women whilst I was in no fit state to realy, so me and the Bat went to bed early to avoid refusing anyone a dance, made a rod for me own back there pips.

All in all stunning wekend yet again from Ceroc.

DTS XXX XXX

Started off pretty slowly for me as I have a problematic wrist, having done lots of weekenders the wow factor seemed to be missing for some reason.

There were two sets that lit up my whole weekend.

Sfunk, Vince played a blinder, the atmosphere was electric. Nigel from the midlands was leading some soul line dancing from back in the day, it brought back so many great memories of when I used to go clubbing.

I really didn’t think that any set would beat Sfunk. I was wrong big time.

I have always rated John Baker as a great DJ, his set was absolutely from the top drawer.

The blues championship was a delight, the blues music was great, you could really see that all the DJ’s had really made an effort. The tracks for the semi’s and the finals really got the best from the dancers as they were the toughest tunes, which is why I thought the contest was stronger than last year.

Congrats to Dale and Sarah for winning and all the other couples for getting through to the final. It would be great to hear from the Judges on what criteria they were using when looking at the couples as there was such a variety of different styles

As usual all the DJ’s did a great job.

A big thanks to Mike and John and all their staff for putting on a great event.

Always fun to hear a real swing set from Mr Ceroc aka Mike Ellard, he even played a Northern Soul track that I thought went down well.

An ever bigger thank you to all the females that were so gentle with moi which allowed me to dance the whole weekend.

The only downer on the weekend for me was the chalet, you get a bath with no shower implements

This was my first weekender and i had a fantastic time

It was great meeting everyone and meeting the 'secret society' in the flesh. I'd like to thank everyone whom i danced with, made me feel so welcomed and make this weekender so memoriable. I've started to enjoy blues more and during most of the weekend i stayed in the blues room but sometimes popping into the main room.

It was great meeting the forumites Maxine, Koshka, Mr Darcy, Rogboy, Jay Jay, Sway, Steven666, Batgirl, DTS, Lory, Jive-Vee, Dottie, Drathzel, Fletch, Kel Warmintser and her partner Brian. I'm sorry if i've missed anyone, im not good with names.

I had so many fun dances and received quite a few compliments. Watching DTS and Poi Boi dance together was so fabulous.

Kel - i enjoyed our munching on crisps and you being tickled to death

I'm so happy that my first weekender was with Poi Boi, he knows how nervous i was just before we arrived at Brean and after i met everyone my nerves disappeared. A huge thank you to Poi Boi for booking and taking me along to Breeze, you made it so special Another huge thank you to everyone who made my first weekender so much fun So many laughs and boob/bum grabbing

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    This was my first weekender and i had a fantastic time

It was great meeting everyone and meeting the 'secret society' in the flesh. I'd like to thank everyone whom i danced with, made me feel so welcomed and make this weekender so memoriable. I've started to enjoy blues more and during most of the weekend i stayed in the blues room but sometimes popping into the main room.

It was great meeting the forumites Maxine, Koshka, Mr Darcy, Rogboy, Jay Jay, Sway, Steven666, Batgirl, DTS, Lory, Jive-Vee, Dottie, Drathzel, Fletch, Kel Warmintser and her partner Brian. I'm sorry if i've missed anyone, im not good with names.

I had so many fun dances and received quite a few compliments. Watching DTS and Poi Boi dance together was so fabulous.

Kel - i enjoyed our munching on crisps and you being tickled to death

I'm so happy that my first weekender was with Poi Boi, he knows how nervous i was just before we arrived at Brean and after i met everyone my nerves disappeared. A huge thank you to Poi Boi for booking and taking me along to Breeze, you made it so special Another huge thank you to everyone who made my first weekender so much fun So many laughs and boob/bum grabbing
    Glad you enjoyed!! Next time I'll get a dance !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    Glad you enjoyed!! Next time I'll get a dance !!
    Yep you will There are a few ppl i didn't get a chance to dance with but i will dance with them next time i see them.

Btw do you remember who won the pub quiz? I was useless at that quiz since it was all about the 80's

I have underwear that is older than you missus.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    The comp's weren't being filmed (unfortuntaely there wasn't a good enough response to the Blues Comp only DVD's last year to make it financially viable) so you're welcome to put up whatever you like.

I'm afraid I only got the Saturday Heats and the first half of Dance With a Stranger as I buggered off to the AT class... - I'll put these videos on youtube soon and post the links here.

Must warn, the footage is pretty amateur !

Well after going back to work today - I have really felt the aftermath of staying up until 6.15am on Monday morning! Although I didn't dance right until the end I enjoyed watching the others dance and listening to the fab music in the Blues room.

This was my first time to Breeze but defo not the last. I had the pleasure of meeting an amazing dancer on Friday night for the first time who asked me to compete with him - and even though I tried to let him down gently, he managed to convince me it was a good idea. And after knowing each other less than a couple of days we had made it to the Semi-Finals!

I thought the music was fab in the Boudoir and could have danced here the whole weekend - that was until I got right into the Blues room and fell in love with the different types of music that was being played. Sheena played some amazing variations of songs that really got me going - in particular I had the best dance to 'Just the two of us' - Sheena please let me know which version this was as I want to remember THAT dance everytime I hear it.

I was lucky enough to be invited by John Baker and helped to set up on Thursday (yep I was one of the ones who helped fix the edging onto the floor in the Blues room!) - so a massive thank you to John.

Thanks to all the dances I had - hope to see you all at Southport in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuki View Post
    Sheena played some amazing variations of songs that really got me going - in particular I had the best dance to 'Just the two of us' - Sheena please let me know which version this was as I want to remember THAT dance everytime I hear it.

Zuki I have just checked on Spotify for that track and it has come up with 99 selections.
    Some cracking versions too.

It was Lesley, Kev, Tall Pete and Pete. I think they called the team "Where the f***'s my team gone"

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Such a shame when that happens - I remember when things went missing at Southport a few years ago - you start getting paranoid about where you left your bag
    Best thing is to assume everyone in the room is a thief, leave it if you can loose it, seen too many tears and snotties, about "I don't think it was a dancer", well its still gone isnt it, I know its difficult for the ladies, but not impossible. The Nick guide is if you put money in your bag, dont have much, keep mobile phones secure ie on you or locked away, and never leave purses or mobiles on the table and go for a dance, your just making it too easy for the naughty people.

Although its good to remember that some people take stuff to the Lost Property office and then security at the front gate get it. Happened with my top. Came off after dancing for 40 minutes or so to find it missing and wasn't happy as it was the only jumper I had brought. That was Saturday night, come monday morning it had turned up in the 5 bags of clothing and other stuff Security had by the front gate, so I got it back in the end. Obviously some kind soul handed it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    But, unfortunately, nobody was there to hear it until people suddenly started arriving en masse at 10.20

I'm only hoping it was the early time, cabaret in the main room & rain that prevented people being there, not the fact it was my name on the dj rota ...

Rachel
    I think you're spot on there my love with the timing! If everyone arrived at 10.20, that co-incided exactly with the end of the cabaret so the same would have happened to anyone. I know someone has to be DJing at that time but it's a bugger of a slot and absolutely no reflection on you

Lots of people have added great reviews above but I thought I'd just put in a few random personal memories of a fab weekend

Brilliant dances with Martingold, Phil_db, Gerry and esp Poi Boi and DTS plus lovely tangos with Marc F. DTS invented a new way of leading forehead to forehead. Thanks guys!

Great tag dancing with Poi Boi and DTS. I noticed a great increase in tagging generally from people who'd attended the class which is brilliant! I love it.

Great comment from a guy I danced with in the main room who apparently hadn't been able to get off the floor for about an hour. "So many women! Why couldn't it have been like this when I was a teenager!"

Vegetable (Kyron) put a message on FB looking for accommodation for his mate Sean. As an incentive, he said that Sean was a willing slave and could hoover naked if required. Unfortunately, what he actually wrote was that Sean could hover naked. My friend Carrie danced with Sean on Sat and asked how the naked hovering was going. Blank stare. He obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

Some hiccups in the scheduling eg Marc F timetabled to similtaneously set up and run the milonga and judge the blues competition. He did get a great cheer when he eventually arrived at the milonga though!

Many thanks to rtwwpad for booking the masterclasses with myself and my friend Vy. You were a great partner! We did a lovely class with Franck and Sheena and I managed to get a couple of dances with Franck later

The cake seemed to be popular on Friday night but sorry it was a bit sticky - I got a bit carried away with the icing.

I did Nigel and Nina's cabaret class on Sat which was great fun but did take up a rather a lot of time. And thanks to Hannah the lovely lady who had to partner me in the show and do all the lifts and drops etc. She'd never led before and I thought she did a great job!

On Friday I had a name label on with my forum name and 2 people asked if I was an aeroplane. No that would be Memphis Belle. (Mind you Brighton Belle is a large steam train so I don't know that that's much better really).

About 5am Mon morning, last observation from Marc F summed up the weekend. "I can't feel anything from the eyebrows downwards. Just what a weekend should be"

I'm gutted I can't make Southport - they're just too close together but if anyone's at Utopia on Fri, hope to see some of you there!

Yes, many thanks for that BB, apologies to Vy for the first class, just getting to know each other and doing Roy's class probably a little adventurous, but we got through it, although me and Vy had some lovely dances in the freestyle as we relaxed much more in the musicality class.

Great time in the MC with you, thanks for the tips, if the ladies don't tell me I won't know and I love learning.

Lovely dance with you in the freestyle a well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Belle View Post

The cake seemed to be popular on Friday night but sorry it was a bit sticky - I got a bit carried away with the icing.
    Cake was lovely..........too lovely ate more than my fair share

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Belle View Post

I'm gutted I can't make Southport - they're just too close together but if anyone's at Utopia on Fri, hope to see some of you there!
    Know how you feel but I will be at Utopia see ya there

Had a great time

Great friends, great dances, great finds ... shame it had to end

Saturday night was the best night for me and, shock horror, it started off in the main room for what has been the longest time I've spent in there for over 2 years! I was in there until it finished then transferred over to the blues room

Really pleased to get through to the semi's in the open (thanks partner ) although disappointingly this kinda ended up scuppering my Sunday evening. I didn't dance in the boudoir as I was getting dinner and getting ready in time to be there for 9.30pm, and then I made the mistake of not going back to bed after the comp. I tried to "restart" my evening by going back, getting a power nap and shower and coming back out around 1.30am but by then I was too tired so only lasted a couple of hours. My body was broken

Other disappointment of the weekend was not finding anywhere to freestyle after the DWAS on Sunday

Saturday afternoon in the boudoir with ZW/SilverFox on the decks was fab fab fab. Loved it (especially as they had dedicated time slots)

The wristbands - please can we not have that style again? The metal on the rivet irritated my wrist, I kept getting hit with the hard plastic catch and when you showered/washed your hands, the fabric stayed wet for ages. Bring back the other ones.

But overall, Breeze totally lived up to my expectations as a well organised, well run, great music, great dancing weekender. Having mentally written off any others for a while before I went, I'm now checking out the dates for weekenders next year.... I love dancing

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    The wristbands - please can we not have that style again? The metal on the rivet irritated my wrist, I kept getting hit with the hard plastic catch and when you showered/washed your hands, the fabric stayed wet for ages. Bring back the other ones.
    Thats wierd, as I was going to say the exact opposite.

Maybe cos my arms sweat a lot but the plastic ones usually irritate me, they kind of get stuck in place and need to be released every now and then but if I forget, I end up getting a really itchy rash
    The fabric ones didn't bother me once, to the point I actually forgot to take mine off till yesterday morning And if anyone's going to get their hair caught on something, then it'll be me but I didn't have that problem once either.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information