Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breeze 2009- The Aftermath

Breeze 2009- The Aftermath

Please forgive any incoherence but I am very sleep deprived only had about 6 hours in total over the weekend – Yes it was that good.

Highlights
    · Being Francked (or touched by the hands of Franck 3 times)
    · Meeting up with some new faces and finally getting to meet Crazy Shark my song title game friend. Also catching up with some familiar faces - always a pleasure.
    · My find of the weekend a guy called Anthony from somewhere in the Midlands(sadly not on the forum), what a brilliant dancer, had so many fantastic dances with him, can’t wait to dance with him again at Southport
    · Having a great laugh with my chalet mates including my friend Barbara who has moved away and I haven’t seen for almost a year, forgot how much of a laugh we used to have.
    Good
    · Loved the sets in the blues room really have no complaints lots a Varity something for everyone. Also danced in the pub and most of the music was enjoyable apart from one set that I found a bit to frantic but I am sure others enjoyed it. Main room only went there very briefly and just was not my kind of music at the time so quickly retreated to the sanctuary of the blues room.
    · Main floor in the blues room was perfect the other floor was not quite as good but very passable.
    · Dancers had fantastic dances just loved them great standard and great fun.

Bad
    · Only bad thing for me was our accommodation which is so past it’s sell by date, we were in a club but the mattress on my bed was so uncomfortable with springs digging in me.

Just want to thank everyone I danced with, laughed with etc for making this yet another great weekend

Re: Breeze - The Aftermath

My first, but certainly not my last, Ceroc weekender

Highlight
    Sunday evening, a dance in the Thunder Room with an amazing beautiful lady who seemed to have stepped straight out of Vogue magazine

Good
    Howard and Nicola -Blues essential
    Body to Body - Frank and Sheena
    One Tack Mind - C&M
    Tag - Alex &Co
    The relaxed atmosphere at the Milonga

Bad
    Teachers Microphone in the Cyclone, very distorted with screeching feed back
    Hard uncomfortable Bed solved by sleeping on the spare duvet

Nice to met you all, but I am afraid I found the blues room a little intimidating and retuned to my zone in the Thunder room and the Pub

DTS, I still own you a pint

Traffic for those on the M4/M5 down was terrible with a couple of big accidents so not everyone got there early.

Main complaint I heard all weekend was that the event wasn't really gender balanced. This complaint was mainly from women although the men started to see their point after trying to get off the dancefloor for some rest/water/toilet (r/w/t) and not being able to make the edges because

a) you'd get tapped and asked before you made the edges
    b) the edges of the dancefloor were made from more women waiting for you to dance with them.

Yes, I know I don't have to say yes, I could make the excuse that I need r/w/t but

you are taught not to say no,
    as a chap I love dancing with women,
    I'm polite
    the look on ladies faces if I do say no is very upsetting
    and you think I could just do this one and then go and get r/w/t.

Admittingly I was rescued a few times, by friends who thought that an hour and 10 minutes without leaving the floor was a little too long and I was definately starting to flag.

Dancefloors
    -------------

Friday thinned out about 2am, Sat - was still going strong when I left at 3.30am and I wimped out at 2am on the Sunday as I was driving in the morning.

Water and Industrial fans on and available. Difference in real flor and laid floor very noticable.

Classes
    --------

Double trouble was a lot of fun.

Tag was the best class there.

Others can comment on the multitude offered.

Masterclasses
    ---------------

Nigel and Nina's Musicality was good, cover same ground as Amir but a little more practical. Dancing ceroc to Monty Python not something I thought I would ever to.

F&S whips was a lot of fun, lot of technique, very good interaction with the class. Now added to list of teachers that would convince me to go to a ceroc event.

Roy's moves class was good, but a lot to get through and some of it quite complex. Really need to be fixed partners to do this as it involves a lot of trust. However very nice moves.

Shop
    -----

Dancewear shop had a good selection and seemed to do good business. More mens stuff would be nice, About 6 rails of womens clothing, 1 rail of mens. We like to look nice for ladies too.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I made it home, although the last leg of the journey I had to do alone and it nearly killed me.. thankfully my friends put up with me chatting, to keep me awake..

so, I cant write anything detailed 'just now', as I'm shattered

But I just want to make an appeal, I lost my camera! Last seen on the DJ's desk, in the pub on Sunday evening. Its a black Sony T50, if anyone picked it up, or knows someone who's got it, please can you let me know

Thank you
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Only being able to get away to two weekenders a year this one goes a long way to keep me drunk on happy memories and fabulous dances until the next one.

HIGHLIGHTS
    Master class with Roy.........excellent
    Having a chance to catch a dance with Mike Ellard.
    Being able to dance with Franck on all three consecutive nights and each time better than the previous one.
    Catching up with my Bristol and Swindon friends
    RevDrop...it works every time
    Meeting Stokies friend Anthony, amazing dances.
    Phil DB............what can I say, an amazing end to a fabulous weekend .

GOOD
    It was so nice to share as always a whole weekend with people that share the love of dance and be able to catch a dance where ever and when ever......yes even in the loo where I was called upon to practice a move...after I had washed my hands of course!
    Getting the chance to put more forumites names to faces, meeting a wealth of non forumite dancers I have never met before and of course the ones I only get to see at weekenders.
    There wasn’t a naff set played in the Blues Room.

BAD
    Stokie and Essie where were you?
    Ladder on bunk bed killed to walk up with sore dancing feet.
    Shower kept turning itself off after every two seconds...or so it seemed...very irritating.
    Pub quiz..............very hard to make a 12 o’clock start when you didn’t get to bed until 7.30am...but we managed...just!

To sum up, I loved it and soaked up every minute with a 5.30am, 7.30am and 6.30am bedtime over the three days but I know I will pay the price for the rest of the week, worth it.............YES!
    Last edited by Jay Jay; 5th-October-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Cool Re: Breeze - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    HIGHLIGHTS
    Meeting Stokies friend Anthony, amazing dances.
    The Blues classes are really paying off. Ant's a great dancer isn't he
    BAD
    Stokie and Essie where were you?
    Brean was a complete sell out - although from what I have heard this may have something to do with ladies booking a male and female place just to get themselves in. Perhaps the other comments about skewed gender balancing supports this? Missed you and our dances though Jay Jay. Southport?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Am Knackered....Will post my thoughts later

However. I thought the gender balance in the Blues room was spot on, there seemed to be plenty of people to dance with and plenty of men mulling around, getting chances to rest etc

Can i ask which room you frequented in rtwwpad?

I didnt venture into the main room other than to get food at 2 am (every evening) so i cant comment on GB in that room.

Thunderball - went over to the Blues room a few times, but mainly to watch the champs etc.

I found the blues room difficult, a lot of slow ceroc going on, didn't feel comfortable with it as I've only experienced the close position,seperate, one to three moves, close position, hit stops etc. and a lot of people I danced with weren't aware of what a close position was. did have one fantastic dance after the semi's with a lovely lady in silver though, and the young lass flo was quite nice to dance with, she managed to get in the DWAS competition and then was going home at 7pm but was still dancing in the blues room at 2 this morning.

I'd say 15 hours dancing over the 3 nights, about 4 hours in the blues room. Which wasn't that crowded compared to Thunderball room.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The Blues classes are really paying off. Ant's a great dancer isn't he
    OMG and how, we just gelled and had some amazing dances, kept me going until the early morning on all three days.

Missed you and our dances though Jay Jay. Southport?
    Was really upset when Anthony told me you and Twirly weren't coming , it was going to be one of the highlights of my weekend....our anniversary

Not doing Southport.........will have to meet up at a half way house somewhere along the line....like Buckden perhaps

Not doing Southport.........will have to meet up at a half way house somewhere along the line....like Buckden perhaps
    How about the SWJN late finish blues night at Peterborough this Friday? I'll be there (and as if that wasn't enough the DJ's are Tess, Rev Drop and Blue Shoes)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    How about the SWJN late finish blues night at Peterborough this Friday? I'll be there (and as if that wasn't enough the DJ's are Tess, Rev Drop and Blue Shoes)
    Any other Friday I would of done it but going to Utopia/Twickenham this Friday.

.............and talking of Tessa, she led one of the raunchiest dances I had over the weekend.....it was amazing

although from what I have heard this may have something to do with ladies booking a male and female place just to get themselves in. Perhaps the other comments about skewed gender balancing supports this? :
    some one told me, there were 70 unclaimed male tickets, although
    about 9pm on Sunday, in the thunder room, there was a surplice of leaders

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    However. I thought the gender balance in the Blues room was spot on, there seemed to be plenty of people to dance with and plenty of men mulling around, getting chances to rest etc
    I didnt venture into the main room other than to get food at 2 am (every evening) so i cant comment on GB in that room.
    So one balance in one room. Rather different in another.

Consider that the distance between rooms mostly looks greater than Skegness and is similarly outdoors.

At Camber it is far easier for ladies to take a peek at the blues room, and stay if things look promising.

Perhaps traditionally Brean has a different balance (Camber being more favourable to the ladies/less to the men), so for people who've gone previous years it may have been in line with expectations.

For the Camber overflow expectations may differ.

Who is to say which is better ?
    (aside from physical factors making it harder to equalise balances between rooms at Brean).

Right - got kids to bed been up since 5am ....

Highs...
    Weekend with DTS xx
    Great company on and off the dance floor
    Some of my ultimate tracks played in the blues room and the pub
    Being able to dance far more than I had hoped for

Good...
    I really enjoyed the blues comp as a spectator - far more than I did last year as a competitor

Not so good...
    I would like more S'funk during the day - I LOVE this music - it cheers me up and makes me smile - but there is no way I can be dancing at 4am to catch Silva Fox's sets
    Please can we have more S' funk during the day - preferably al fresco - outdoor dancing rocks! (even in the rain )
    Milonga on Saturday night - yes I know that those who do tango enjoyed it but I was in the blues room missing them and waiting for it to finish - the other option is that I learn tango and go and join them (probably unlikely to happen soon)

Over all - I had a fantastic time and enjoyed it far more than expected.
    I agree the Blues room music perhaps wasn't as deep blue as some would have liked but suited me as 'suicide blues' - as I heard it called recently doesn't really match my frame of mind atm.

Got to sleep now - think I may have over done it this weekend but it was worth it.

Roll on Southport xxx

ok firstly to say that my take on this weekender was blighted by serious pain in both my shoulders from acording to Bikram the kinesiologist trapped nervs in my neck (however he managed to keep me dancing over the weekend when at one time on friday night at about 2 am i thought my weekend was over)
    I would like to appolagise to anyone who i turned down as this was due to the pain not them
    Until this is healed i am starting to think i will have to give up this dancing lark as its been going on for about 8 wks now

Ok heres my take

Mike Ellard, John Baker and the whole of the Ceroc team worked their socks of to try to make everyone happy and i for one think they deserve our thanks for trying to do the impossible

Both Mike and John were continuously about working the rooms and talking to people

whatever my brain says about this weekend my heart enjoyed it

The Chalet :-
    It had a bed, Hot water, a fridge and i dont think the roof leaked
    all that i need from a room
    my only complaint about it was that i had to walk to the chill out room

I need a chalet that i is attatched to the coz so at 7 15 ish on a sunday morning i can just fall into my bed in fact and here is an idea for the future, instead of seats around the room how about beds?

The Floors
    were there any dance floors?
    I danced in all three areas and didnt notice the floors this to me says they were good as i would have noticed had they been too fast or slow

Music
    Here is my only gripe and it is only a personal opinion (again blighted by pain)
    any weekender advertising the ceroc blues championships will attract blues dancers surely the music in the coz room would be biased towards them

Out of the whole weekend there were only four hours of blues music for freestyle the rest was a mix of sfunk and general chill out

Friday night
    I didnt enjoy one set even the great Marc Forster who can usually keep me in a main room didnt do it for me

Sat night
    imho the music improved although again only a small amount of actual blues
    I have always said i dont like Silverfoxes music (I also know loads of people who do) But i was shocked as his set was amazing and i didnt get my usual rest hour i think i danced to almost every track (thanks Vince)
    Marc Forster was also back on (imo) form he kept me in the room till 7 15 ish when he was puting his coat on and telling people he had to sleep

Sunday
    the afternoon in the boudour was very good so i didnt get my afternoon nap but once again i didnt really like the music in the coz i danced in spite of not because of it ok i there were one or two must dance tacks but not many the last hour or so spent waiting for something to dance to at one point i was sat talking to tessalicious Rocky came to us saying dont worry theres some blues coming he then played two blues tracks

overall
    I had about 8hrs sleep from friday morning to monday night this has to say something about the whole weekend which was filled with love, laughter and good friends.
    This is what dance is all about thanks to all the guys and girls barbs and i danced and shared this weekend with

oh and I am now officially tessalicious' dance pimp

Hi All

My first visit to Brean so I big thanks to John for giving me the opportunity to DJ. I really enjoyed it and as always learnt a lot.

I found it a very friendly event with lots of people I had not encountered before at Southport, Camber and My DJing haunts around Yorkshire. I had some great dances and met some nice people. Now even more clubs to visit.

I managed for a change to do some of the classes and enjoyed them all. Special thanks to Paul and Sarve for the WCS beg. I have been trying to master the basic stuff for ages and Pauls way of explaining helped me click.. I can now do 2 moves. (Hey its not much to you but its a major breakthrough for me). I am getting asked more and more to play the music and even have a couple of gigs lined up so feel I must do the dance.

Next stop TANGO.

Managed to get some time playing in the Pub and thanks to those who took the time to compliment. Sorry to the guy who asked for She Bangs. My copy seemed to vanish

A special thanks, Thanks, Thanks to the lady on Sunday who said I had played the best song at the weekend. If was Ruthie Foster and "Grinnin in your face". A great piece of Gospel. Im sure others will have played it before me.

GOOD
    Nice people
    Dance floors
    Great music (especially Sunday Afternoon in the pub)
    Food was good
    Some Yorkshire dancers who had made the trip.

AVERAGE
    The sound in the Chill which I thought was a bit flat. (But I have DJed for a LONG TIME and my hearing is not tops)

BAD
    The drive was a pain and I will consider Train next time as I do for Camber.
    My Shure Mic, Leads and headphones plus a pack of CD's went missing. Mic Not great value, Its old and battered but its the one I use for stand-up and its a sort of lucky talisman.

Looking forward to hopefully being invited to play again.

See ya all at Southport.

DJ ChrisU

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post

Not so good...
    I would like more S'funk during the day - I LOVE this music - it cheers me up and makes me smile -x

I AGREE

love love love S'Funk I was disserpointed ther wasn't one on Sunday, I love it when we have Mikes swing hour and then S'Funk after

pleassssse

The good

all weekend

its not surprising these weekender are now selling out on each one, the attention to detail is the best.

There was a que to checking when I arrived (unheard of for Ceroc) with in 30 seconds we had Val & Dave going down the line with boxes of chocolates, closley followed by Mike with vouchers for tea, Coffe or soft drinks in the restarunt if you preferd not to wait in the que, it all these small thing that make a big differnce.

Floors wonderfull

music the best

laughs, excitment, just brilliant.

sway appartment oppersite the pub, so I more or less moved in there.

Blues comp

Loved it shouted so much I have no voice now

THE BAD

comforting a tearfull young girl on Sunday, who had danced with a guy who had compared her to her sister and said she wasn't as good because she had commented on not been able to follow some of his moves. I cant belive the insensitivity of this man, isn't it the mans bad leading if we don't get the move? Having a daughter that doesn't dance due to people telling her that her brother is a wonderful dancer and she felt she was disappointing people I totally understand why she was sooooo upset.

One good thing I now relies how far I have come with controlling my temper I wanted to cause GBH but I didn't

go me!

Commercial Operator

What a weekend!! Fabulous to see so many friendly faces again!!

I don't have any negatives so I'll apologize now if my review is too gushing for some!

I thought Mike, John and all the Dj's, teachers & crew did a fantastic job, it's so much more enjoyable when an event is so well organised!

I've read many reviews over weekenders and music is of course a hot topic. My personal opinion is that being a Dj is such a tough job and although I only got a taster of some Dj's and missed some altogether I honestly think Ceroc have some of the best Dj's on the scene!! Oxo did a blinding set in the blues room, Vince was fab in the pub, Erick was cracking in the main room, Rocky and John as always being top drawer. It must be so hard to cater for everyone's tastes and even though there was the occassional track I wouldn't pick for myself on a whole congrats to all the dj's I thought you were fab.

On a side note and as I'm talking about Dj's I think they picked the most challenging track ever for the final song in the blues comp!! So even though I felt like this.. again job well done!!

As you can tell it was a really fab weekend for me, my chalet buddies took great care of me and I love them both

Thanks to each and every one of you that supported Tom and I in our classes and Dale and I in the comp, having friends and other dancers willing you on makes all the difference!

And finally a special shout out to Dave & Val who not only introduced me to the world of blues but have been my inspiration on the blues dance floor!! Thank-you both!!

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Music
    Here is my only gripe and it is only a personal opinion (again blighted by pain)
    any weekender advertising the ceroc blues championships will attract blues dancers surely the music in the coz room would be biased towards them....
    Martin, it is my personal opinion that you made a yourself a right royal pain in the arse to everyone over the w/e. You complained to anyone and everyone about the music and it wasn't based on the greater good, it was based on one thing only, 'I am a blues dancer' you told me - '..and I want more Blues music to dance to.'

As you were told time and time again, the 2nd room at Breeze is a Chill Out room and as such will play a broad range of music - and therefore the DJ's will play to the floor. If the people on the floor respond to latin, funky, blues... whatever THAT is what will be played. As an example, in the last slot on Sun when I started to introduce Blues, the floor was half as full as it was previously - and the moment I stopped and moved to a soft R&B track it filled up again.

It's OK for you to have an opinion but you were personally insulting to at least 1 DJ that I heard about and that's not acceptable. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but next time try not to take it out on everyone else around you and at least try to accept that the music at a weekender is designed to cater to the majority and not the vocal minority.

Thread Information