Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag

Tag

Just back from Brean and I have to say that the class that seemed to be the most popular and enjoyed by everyone who did it was Tag with Alex, Phil and Debbie.

One of the most enjoyable and fun classes and dancing experiences I've ever had, worth the entry price alone.

Of course F&S's excellent Whips MC was another highlight and I spent all Sunday evening whipping people (this time with constant velocity)

Anyway can we have more Tag classes taught!

For those who don't know its one follower two leads who share/steal the follow who basically goes up and down the slot as the leads cut in and out of the slot to take control. Hugely enjoyable.

Phil

Re: Tag

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Just back from Brean and I have to say that the class that seemed to be the most popular and enjoyed by everyone who did it was Tag with Alex, Phil and Debbie.

One of the most enjoyable and fun classes and dancing experiences I've ever had, worth the entry price alone.

Of course F&S's excellent Whips MC was another highlight and I spent all Sunday evening whipping people (this time with constant velocity)

Anyway can we have more Tag classes taught!

For those who don't know its one follower two leads who share/steal the follow who basically goes up and down the slot as the leads cut in and out of the slot to take control. Hugely enjoyable.

Phil
    I totally agree!! Tag class was the best class of the weekend for me; and I'm not just saying that because they are my friends!! Genuinely enjoyable and that came across from the stage down to the class!
    Best was when practsing and tagging with the 2 girls in the Blues Room that night we had an impromptu tag with.....Alex & Phil!!! Awesome

love tag, but hate double trouble

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    So glad you enjoyed the tag with Kathy and I and thank you for the lovely comments

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    Alex & Phil!!! Awesome
    I didn't go to the class but I've been tagged by them many times and its ALWAYS a highlight to any dance event.

Their level of skill, repertoire and seamless transitions often put me in a slightly hypnotic state!

I think little Aston Ellard enjoyed one of my tagging dances with them too, as he never took his eyes off of us and Linda said he was completely transfixed!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

A brilliant class more please

And we also need to attach something to Alex so she can power the entire country from the amount of energy and excitement she generates when teaching a class.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Whats she done now?

i watched this class from the back as i love tag i was sad to say that although the quality of the teaching was very good all they taught was a choriagraphed routine

They said nothing of how to judge and go with the momentum of the follow this is vital to a smooth transition in tag especially if the follow doesnt know she / he is about to be tagged and even more so if the lead isnt expecting someone like filthy monkey to come steal his partner
    The best tag i have ever watched was between spikey steve kathleen lo and Riaz Chutoo just so smooth in transition you had no idea when the take was happening

Personally I found this one of the most fun classes I have done in a very long time. Koshka did very well as a lead and certainly had fun with Crazy Shark (much to my enjoyment ).

I thought Alex did the class very well and had so much energy on stage it was great. She did spend some time explaining the mechanics of how they do it, and it must have sunk into a few people as I saw several couples doing it after the class and not just the routine.

It was certainly a class that could have been troublesome, especially asking so many people to be leads, but it worked a treat, and the cheers and applause during and after it showed how much it was enjoyed by all.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    i watched this class from the back as i love tag i was sad to say that although the quality of the teaching was very good all they taught was a choriagraphed routine

They said nothing of how to judge and go with the momentum of the follow this is vital to a smooth transition in tag especially if the follow doesnt know she / he is about to be tagged and even more so if the lead isnt expecting someone like filthy monkey to come steal his partner
    The best tag i have ever watched was between spikey steve kathleen lo and Riaz Chutoo just so smooth in transition you had no idea when the take was happening

i will pass ur comments back on to al but in her defence its has taken a long time to even consider how to teach this there is a difference between just coming up and taking a partner and doing what they do, they had to break it down and teach some moves to do which is a starting line for people just like when u do ur first dance class so they have put the idea in your head, and they also explained how to keep in a slot, which makes its a tad easier to control the women and makes it look stylish when freestyling,

i think they did a fab job and i enjoyed learning it as a follow as i follow all the time so now its my turn to take a turn of taging al from phil for a change.

I have to disagree, I thought Alex explained everything very well and indicated what was difficult to do in freestyle. If you feel you need someone to instruct you any further than Alex did on how to judge the momentum etc. then you shouldn't really be playing tag. I thought the class was pitched at exactly the right level.

I would also find it incredibly rude if someone stole my follow without first asking me before the dance started if it was alright (out of earshot of the follow if need be) or some other agreement.

The only thing I would change is not to badge it an Int+ class

To me it opened a possibility I had'nt thought of and I've already had fun with it since I came back at my venue last night.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't there, so I can't comment specifically but sometimes you have to have a base, from which you can start to teach technique and having a routine, is a good way to start.

And apart from that, people learn best when they're having fun and people enjoy a sense of achievement, when they have a finished product.

There's a time and a place for learning 'just technique' but I don't think a large weekender class is the right time or place.

And from what I can gather 'most' people who participated, got a lot out of it and absolutely loved it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I'm sorry I missed it, I saw it on the dvd, it looked great and I'd love to learn it
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Maxine, Jay Jay and I played a great game on Monday morning travelling back from Breeze. It certainly passed the time and at one point I was laughing so much that I nearly missed our junction.

1 - Who would be your "dream" tag team ? eg who would you just love to be passed between

2 - the slightly less pc version - who would be your "nightmare" tag team. eg who is the partner that you just love dancing with and would so hate to be "stolen" from - by whom, and why ?

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    i will pass ur comments back on to al but in her defence its has taken a long time to even consider how to teach this there is a difference between just coming up and taking a partner and doing what they do, they had to break it down and teach some moves to do which is a starting line for people just like when u do ur first dance class so they have put the idea in your head, and they also explained how to keep in a slot, which makes its a tad easier to control the women and makes it look stylish when freestyling,

i think they did a fab job and i enjoyed learning it as a follow as i follow all the time so now its my turn to take a turn of taging al from phil for a change.
    dont get me wrong i think the quality of their teaching was amazing ( a lot of dance teachers need to take lessons from these three) and from what i saw all the people in the class enjoed it saying it was the best class yet

I thought this was the best class of the weekend and my thanks to Poiboi and Crazy Shark for making it so much fun. I found the class was good for giving the general feel of what could be done even though they showed a choreographed routine. I've often wanted to join in tag but have never really been sure of how to go about the steal and as a follow had never really thought about my positioning, so it gave me a real idea of what I should be doing.

I think we worked far better as a fixed group, as it gave a better chance to get used to the moves and go ohh but if I cut in like this... don't let go just yet... hold her like that.. lots of experimenting thoughts came to mind. Also to empathsise the whole slotted concept PoiBoi and I had fun playing the CS stay on the slot until we make you do otherwise which did involve a bit of mischief.

My only thing with that class is that they said they would be at the back of the blues room and I looked several times and couldn't see them (saying that a change of clothes and I probably wouldn't have recognised them)

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    don't let go just yet... hold her like that..
    What you do to Crazy Shark?

On the double trouble note, I didn't really enjoy the class for as much as I enjoyed it for freestyle the moves really required 2 ladies who knew what they were doing (ladies pushed together to do a flamenco type move but how would they know thats whats needed / how many times to turn). They also didn't explain that by the end of the routine ladies would have swapped positions (though i'm still not extirely sure how this happened)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    What you do to Crazy Shark?

You don't want to get this thread moved upstairs now do you?

Thread Information