Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc predation

Re: Ceroc predation

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    On the subject of the thread it looks like Ginger Jive ran more than just Modern Jive there. I wouldn't expect Ceroc to do so, so it matters here also.
    And unfortunately their WCS class was poorly attended which was why it's the first that they have shut down on hearing of the move - no reflection on the teachers, it's just a factor of it being a niche market that many people, Ceroc included, have struggled with.

And you'd be wrong about it being just Ceroc that will be taught. We'll be teaching foundation level and intermediate Ceroc of course to give newcomers and improvers a starting point but will also be running regular Blues classes, Advanced Jive, Smooth Jive and Fusion classes too.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    We'll be teaching foundation level and intermediate Ceroc of course to give newcomers and improvers a starting point but will also be running regular Blues classes, Advanced Jive, Smooth Jive and Fusion classes too.
    What is Fusion?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    What is Fusion?
    A shaving technique. Courtesy of Gillette Jive.

What is Fusion?
    A very hot and passionate form of blues in which the two partners meld into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    A very hot and passionate form of blues in which the two partners meld into one.
    Or just literally melt. Floor cleaning fees are included in the class price...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

sounds sweaty

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    sounds sweaty

You bet'y.

Blog Entries

Details make a lot of diffference. 7 weekenders may represent a contraction of the market, if anything, so it would be unsurprising if they were all full.

It isn't necessarily 'plenty of weekenders' compared to past years.
    Originally, DT's answer to the "predation" question was that people moan, but go to Ceroc events anyway and she followed it up with an assertion that all their weekenders next year will be full.

You've tried to refute that by saying that 7(+2) weekenders is a different situation to the 12 that DT quoted. That's actually irrelevant to DT's point.

Now you're trying to turn the discussion a totally different direction by comparing numbers of weekenders to previous, unspecified years, as if that's relevant to the original point?

Who runs them isn't important per se, but as they don't run them in the same way, it matters. ie. If I go to a Jive Addiction weekender the classes will definitely be worthwhile. This is not true of Ceroc, hence it matters who runs it.
    It matters? Maybe to you, maybe to others but merely stating "it matters" makes a poor argument in response to DT's saying that it doesn't matter to her.

Don't misunderstand, I don't necessarily think that anything you've said is wrong; I just don't like the way you're using it to disdain someone else's equally acceptable comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Lots of stuff...
    Gav, wouldn't it be quicker just to write 'ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY BIRD?? '

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Gav, wouldn't it be quicker just to write 'ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY BIRD?? '
    Of course it would be quicker, but when you grow up you'll learn that the quickest isn't always the best way.

Of course it would be quicker, but when you grow up you'll learn that the quickest isn't always the best way.
    Gav that is Very Patronising... People in glass houses...

Quote Originally Posted by Val Rokov View Post

David and myself had contacted the Liberty 18 months ago with a view to running an extra night alongside GJ (not instead of) as we wanted to create our own franchise.
    You mean like a Leech?.....

Originally, DT's answer to the "predation" question was that people moan, but go to Ceroc events anyway and she followed it up with an assertion that all their weekenders next year will be full.

You've tried to refute that by saying that 7(+2) weekenders is a different situation to the 12 that DT quoted.
    My response to DT was limited in scope; simply about the number of weekenders.

The different situations, which I was referring to, were taking over a very successful venue (like Southport) vs taking over a stuggling venue.

The lines were not originally adjacent. I must have not corrected the formatting after removing intervening text, so you might reasonably have read them together.

Now you're trying to turn the discussion a totally different direction by comparing numbers of weekenders to previous, unspecified years, as if that's relevant to the original point?
    It was a response to your reply (#9), rather than to any earlier posts.

Don't misunderstand, I don't necessarily think that anything you've said is wrong; I just don't like the way you're using it to disdain someone else's equally acceptable comment.
    DT's post was acceptable. It wasn't my intent that my response be taken as disdain.

I apologise if it was my formatting which gave that impression.

I've now read Val's account, Luci's account & the official GingerJive account of what happened & cannot see much similarity between Luci/GJ versus Val. It's impossible to know which 'spin' to believe.
    Hey, maybe us dancers will get MORE venues. Without being able to tell what has actually happened & why I have to just accept it as done, but it does leave an uncomfortable feeling

What is Fusion?
    If that is the definition I'm even more confused. Is the aim of 'normal' Ceroc blues not to get the partners 'fusing'? I wonder how you can blues without the meld.......

Have to say on reading this thread that my head and heart approach this topic from different angles. My head says 'hey it's business - big fish eat little fish all the time'. My heart doesn't like the idea of Ceroc swallowing the competition since in the end this is likely to lead to less diversity and I think MJ will be a poorer place if it's only fed by the Ceroc sausage machine.

I've only been to GJ at Greenham 3 or 4 times when I've been down in the area on business and enjoyed the venue and the dancers. I hope that they retain some brand loyalty and go with GJ to it's new location, wherever this may be.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

What is Fusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Nuclear fusion occurs naturally in stars. Artificial fusion in human enterprises has also been achieved, although has not yet been completely controlled.
    Hmmm ... that's my experience .... Artificial fusion in human enterprises always seems to career out of control ... especially off the dance floor!!!!!

The only contact I have had with GJ was at Blackpool a good few years ago, the GJ people were very loud, aggresive and were asked by the organisers to stop blowing those annoying air horns all of the time. They thought they could take over a massive area of seating and even asked me to move, because I was sitting on a table next to them and they wanted it.

I have no axe to grind with GJ, however the impression I was left with was one of rude, loud and ill mannered oafs who had no consideration for other dancers and were constantly blasting their air horns in the faces of other punters.

I sat next to the parents of the chap in charge of GJ and I put up with constant whining and moaning from their table because I dared to sit at a public table next to them.

This is of course only my impression based upon the actions of this Company at that time

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    The only contact I have had with GJ was at Blackpool a good few years ago, the GJ people were very loud, aggresive and were asked by the organisers to stop blowing those annoying air horns all of the time. They thought they could take over a massive area of seating and even asked me to move, because I was sitting on a table next to them and they wanted it.

I have no axe to grind with GJ, however the impression I was left with was one of rude, loud and ill mannered oafs who had no consideration for other dancers and were constantly blasting their air horns in the faces of other punters.

I sat next to the parents of the chap in charge of GJ and I put up with constant whining and moaning from their table because I dared to sit at a public table next to them.

This is of course only my impression based upon the actions of this Company at that time

DTS XXX XXX
    The 3 times I have been to Blackpool, with the company I learned to dance with (and crewed for in the past), I have had a blast. There were often a few of us there, and yes we were loud at times as we were supporting a lot of friends competing - but we were also clapping for and appreciating the effort and guts of all the competitors out there.

As there were often a lot of us we would sit in an area together, as do many other groups that have travelled down together. Coming from Bath way I didn't necessarily know everyone from GJ that was there with us and on one visit I was told I was sitting on "someone's" chair(!) No-one was aggressive to me but I think it's just that sometimes people that maybe aren't used to the weekender vibe of 'plonk yourself anywhere' can get quite protective over chairs. But hey, I'm generally dancing or am happy to plonk myself on the floor to watch the comps so no biggie to me.

I can appreciate that not everyone likes the noise but on some occasions that I was there it seemed that we were encouraged to cheer loudly and added to the atmosphere - that's what the banter seemed to imply.

Hmmmm, if only I were more than a registered user then I could have a signature..."dancing ill-mannered oaf" perhaps

I'm not trying to have a row DTS just presenting my view of events.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    The only contact I have had with GJ was at Blackpool a good few years ago, the GJ people were very loud, aggresive and were asked by the organisers to stop blowing those annoying air horns all of the time.
    Come to think (and I have no axe to grind either), years ago back when I was at school, a ginger-haired person beat up a friend of mine and stole his lunch money. Just goes to show...

Like I stated, I have no axe to grind with GJ, but having the organizer asking GJ to stop using the air horns, and sitting at a public table before Gj arriving mob handed, to be whined about constantly by GJ staff and dancers gave me the above stated impression of GJ. It was akin to sitting next to a group of football hooligans. But hey as long as GJ is having a good time normal good manners and dance etiquette apparently can be ignored.

As you stated earlier I do not want to argue with you either, but this did happen, and it happened to me as a new dancer and it left this impression of GJ with me, maybe the Co have got their act together now and behave in a polite and better manner.

DTS XXX XXX

Thread Information