Thread: "ceroc" NZ ageist?

"ceroc" NZ ageist?

http://bit.ly/4tBFVI

This looks like an independent mis-using the "ceroc" name. Looks to me like the trade mark not recognised in NZ.

Re: "ceroc" NZ ageist?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    http://bit.ly/4tBFVI

This looks like an independent mis-using the "ceroc" name. Looks to me like the trade mark not recognised in NZ.
    It's legit.

www.ceroc.co.nz has a link to it from their branches page. It isn't unusual in NZ for franchises to have non-ceroc websites.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    It's legit.

www.ceroc.co.nz has a link to it from their branches page. It isn't unusual in NZ for franchises to have non-ceroc websites.
    www.ceroc.com does not have NZ on its front page (or several other countries). I did not find link to 18-35 group or Pirate event on site you gave. I have not got time to dig, and won't lose sleep.

Blog Entries

I have not got time to dig, and won't lose sleep.
    Why waste your precious time posting it in the first place then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Why waste your precious time posting it in the first place then?
    To keep you out of mischief for a few more seconds?

I have not got time to dig, and won't lose sleep.
    Took me about 2 minutes of digging

http://www.alldance.co.nz/

In the link above Wednesdays might seem slightly ageist to some

Keep the oldies out eh? They can't dance and they're not sexy!!!

Long ago I made the mistake of asking a 20 something how we could attract more young people to Ceroc "Stop the old people coming"

Long ago I made the mistake of asking a 20 something how we could attract more young people to Ceroc "Stop the old people coming"
    Well, they were right..... it's pretty hard to attract young people when everyone else in the room is over 40. It's not nice to say it, but it is the truth.

I was pretty badly jet-lagged and missed the "ageist" part of the subject earlier. I don't know why they split the classes down there, assuming they are indeed split. I would assume it's to try to appeal to different demographics more.

That said, perhaps it also appeals to the 35 up crowd this way too. I don't know, but there might be something to that.

Everyone has a right to go dancing not matter what age they are...

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Everyone has a right to go dancing not matter what age they are...
    Indeed, and if you go to the link bubble posted, you will see that everyone can dance no matter what age they are..... In addition to this they have extra classes for certain age ranges.

This is nothing new, you would not expect to go to a class full of 5 year olds, if you were 30 years old.

Some clubs cater for school kids, some clubs cater for the gay and lesbian community and run same sex classes. That does not effect the "rights" of other dancers. These clubs also do "general nights" for all age ranges.

From what I hear Deb and Matt have done great things for dancers in Christchurch NZ

It will be interesting to know how well the classes "aimed at" 18 to 35 age group are doing.

Cool Re: "ceroc" NZ ageist?

It's an age old problem trying to be all things to all people. Guess what... some 18 year olds don't want to do slo-combs and sexy wriggles with people in their 60's! That may not be politically correct, but it's hardly shocking news... is it? I mean.. really!

As a matter of interest, I wonder what the average age of a Ceroc teacher is, and how many Ceroc teachers qualify each year that are over... say... 50. If you look at all of Ceroc's marketing - posters, banners, website, fliers, etc - you'll struggle to see a single grey hair. So why would it be weird to think people who are seeing this stuff and then attending their events would expect to see a young crowd there?

In the UK the reverse is true of sequence dancing. If I went to my local venue run by 'Betty and Bill' on a Tuesday afternoon and the venue didn't have a slight odour of Palmer violets and wee I would think something was wrong. I think the word is demographic, although I suppose you could call it ageism

Hi All!

Debster here, it has been a very long time between posts - yes I am the Deb in "Deb and Matt" who run Ceroc Christchurch, NZ, and the very same Deb who won the Advanced section of the UK Ceroc Champs in 2003 & 2004 (for anyone with a long enough memory) You might now be able to work out who I am... It seems I have a few things to put straight.

Yes we are a "legit" Ceroc franchise, but Ceroc NZ is not related or affiliated to Ceroc in the UK, thus no link from www.ceroc.com. There is a link to our website www.alldance.co.nz from the NZ national Ceroc site www.ceroc.co.nz

And yes we have a bit more "freedom" down here so we have a lot more variety between branches. That could change at any minute of course...

Matt and I love dancing and want as many other people as possible to dance as well - it will make the world a better place.

FYI we run classes for any age on Mon/Tues/Thu/Fri, but due to feedback from our younger dancers last Christmas they wanted their own night because the friends they brought to class with them said they wouldn't come back because they didn't want to dance with the oldies. So we decided to trial an 18-35 night on Wednesdays. This means that I am also too old to attend (although this time last week The Tramp was in town for one night only so he and I gate-crashed and gave them a demo of what we could do Thanks Tramp )

18-35 was chosen as it seemed to be a well tested age group for other social things like Contiki tours.

Matt and I also used to dance in London regularly, plus we've danced in LOTS of other places and noticed how the urban areas in general have a younger crowd. We used to really enjoy the similar age group ourselves. Being in a more rural setting like Christchurch we do tend to get a much older crowd on average so we could see the appeal of an age specific night.

The result - a growing new night - more people dancing - fantastic. Only 25-40 dancers on average at the moment, small compared to our other nights, but we can see the group growing as it gets better established, with more dedicated and experienced dancers to inspire newbies etc. And in fact they are keen to join other nights now too as they get more hooked on the dancing rather than just the social aspect. (i.e. quality vs date-a-bility)

As for ageist - We also have a new teens class and the occasional teen party - but that's a whole other story...

and this post is way too long... sorry
    what can I say... I had to get some stuff off my chest
    and once I start talking about dancing you just can't shut me up!

p.s. thanks again Martin for your comments I only heard about this thread because Tramp just happened across it by accident but would have missed putting in my 2c worth otherwise.

BTW - we do not ask for ID to prove their age, and we don't turn people away based on their age, we figure they'll just feel out of place and change to another night, and so far the theory works.

I am terribly torn on this. I want Modern Jive to be more popular with the young, but not going myself seems, so far, a sacrifice too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Debster View Post
    p.s. thanks again Martin for your comments I only heard about this thread because Tramp just happened across it by accident but would have missed putting in my 2c worth otherwise.
    Debs, some of my best dances in NZ were with you!

I have heard so many good things about what you have been up to and how you have grown the dance community in your area.

Ageist? I do not think so, customer focused? That is the Debs I know.

Good old Trampy, keeping you up to date on the forum

Just as a side note, more than 60% of dancers on the Gold Coast are under 30 years old. Yet the owners/ main teachers are over 30, but they bring on the young dancers to become the teachers of the future.

I am terribly torn on this. I want Modern Jive to be more popular with the young, but not going myself seems, so far, a sacrifice too far.

It is one night out of many nights, and the people who go to that night spill over to the other nights.

I am sure you can cope with that.

Love, peace and all that...

In Aussie they teach MJ in the schools and also teach special nights for the end of year formals... They then come along to regular nights... Slowly slowly catchy monkey... then you have a whole new group coming along..

I see this as win win, not ageist.

Thread Information