View Poll Results: Which charity should the 2010 Ceroc Scotland Champs support?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • R.N.L.I. Scotland

1 6.67%
  • CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland)

3 20.00%
  • Epilepsy Scotland

0 0%
  • Chest Heart Stroke Association Scotland

0 0%
  • SAMH (Scottish Association Mental Health)

11 73.33%

Thread: Charity Suggestions for Scottish Competition 2010

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Charity Suggestions for Scottish Competition 2010

Please offer your suggestions for a charity to benefit from next year's competition.

I'll start;

Epilepsy Scotland

Chest, Heart, Stroke Association Scotland
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Re: Charity Suggestions for Scottish Competition 2010

SAMH? (Scottish Association for Mental Health)

They launched a campaign this year, along with their ambassador Sir Chris Hoy, to Get Active - to help people improve their mental health and wellbeing; the aim being to get people to take part in more physical activity.

Having worked in mental health services for many years it's a subject quite close to my heart, and the aim of the campaign seems a rather apt tie-in

EDIT: I forgot to add a link to their webpage http://www.samh.org.uk/frontend/index.cfm?page=1

http://www.papyrus-uk.org/

PAPYRUS is a voluntary UK organisation committed to the prevention of young suicide and the promotion of mental health and emotional wellbeing.

PAPYRUS is a UK charity committed to suicide prevention, focusing predominantly on the emotional well-being of children, teenagers and young adults. We offer the general public and professionals alike, the requisite resources and support to help prevent suicide and improve mental health in young people. While preventing youth suicide is our primary focus, our concern in preventing suicide encompasses all age groups.

A personal one to me as lost my younger brother to suicide 10 years ago and in the last year over 6 young men known to my kids in one way or another.

P x

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheeks View Post
    PAPYRUS is a voluntary UK organisation committed to the prevention of young suicide and the promotion of mental health and emotional wellbeing.
    hadn't heard of that one but it sounds like a good one - ill second it

Sadly in 2001 I was involved in a gas explosion on my parents boat. Fortunately after skin grafts to both my lower legs I am fully recovered.

I was very lucky though to have been picked up by air ambulance. Sadly the air ambulance service is not pubicly funded. This is an organisation that is close to my heart so that would be my suggestion.

with Firefly on SAMH to, as the work they do is across the board providing over 80 services in scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Crazy View Post
    Sadly in 2001 I was involved in a gas explosion on my parents boat. Fortunately after skin grafts to both my lower legs I am fully recovered.

I was very lucky though to have been picked up by air ambulance. Sadly the air ambulance service is not pubicly funded. This is an organisation that is close to my heart so that would be my suggestion.
    I'll second that one, my Mum was in a car crash in a very remote location, the doctor said she would not have died if they had been able to get her to hospital. There was no air ambulance in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    I'll second that one, my Mum was in a car crash in a very remote location, the doctor said she would not have died if they had been able to get her to hospital. There was no air ambulance in the area.

Really sorry to hear that. Big Hugs

This charity was suggested by one of the dancers at the Dundee class tonight.

The Moira Fund
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Crazy View Post
    Sadly the air ambulance service is not pubicly funded.
    I've been having a look and it would seem that, in Scotland, this service is publicly funded.

Quoted from here
    "The service has the only publicly-funded "Air Wing" in the U.K., which consists of two Eurocopter EC-135 helicopters, one based at Inverness and the other at Glasgow and two Beech King Air 200c fixed wing aircraft, both based in Aberdeen, which provide emergency response and transfers of patients to and from remote areas of Scotland."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    I've been having a look and it would seem that, in Scotland, this service is publicly funded.

Quoted from here
    "The service has the only publicly-funded "Air Wing" in the U.K., which consists of two Eurocopter EC-135 helicopters, one based at Inverness and the other at Glasgow and two Beech King Air 200c fixed wing aircraft, both based in Aberdeen, which provide emergency response and transfers of patients to and from remote areas of Scotland."
    It must be fairly new, as my Mum was taken to Raigmore in Inverness. But glad to see the service has finally improved

Is the RNLI publicly funded? I know that it wasn't at one point but I'm not sure of the situation now?

I also second Epilepsy Scotland - having suffered with Epilepsy for 17 years the work they do helped me through exams at school and made sure I got through Uni in one piece (yes I know I'm mad now... but that is my own fault - I did dare to enter the Blues room )

WT

I was thinking on the RNLI too - but only because they are orange as well

(Would prefer a wholly Scottish charity... and with so much help from the little ones on the day, a kids charity might be nice)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I was thinking on the RNLI too - but only because they are orange as well

(Would prefer a wholly Scottish charity... and with so much help from the little ones on the day, a kids charity might be nice)

Here's another suggestion - my colleague had the most incredible support from this charity organisation. Brief summary of his story:
    "Dear All, The incredible work of hospital neonatal units is often the last thing that parents consider when eagerly awaiting the arrival of a baby. Yet in my case, the efforts of medical staff and support teams of such units have given my twin sons, Daniel and Scott, the gift of life against the odds.
    The boys were born extremely premature at just 27 weeks gestation on 15th January this year and spent the first 4 months of their lives in the neonatal units of Stirling and Aberdeen Royal Infirmaries, as well as both undergoing vital heart operations at Glasgow’s Yorkhill Hospital, before coming home.
    The skills, knowledge, care and professionalism of neonatal staff throughout this traumatic period has helped nurture tiny two-pound babies into big, strong and healthy young boys. Whilst the immaturity of their lungs at birth meant that they were both coming home on continuous oxygen support, this will only be a short-term requirement. The progression they have made from such fragile beginnings is miraculous, and I am truly honoured to call such determined, strong boys my sons.
    More information on the vital work of neonatal units is available at www.specialnursery.org .
    The neonatal staff has not only helped my sons grow and prosper into smiling, happy boys, it has also comforted and supported my wife and I through some very dark times, for which we’ll be eternally grateful. The concern shown by staff for the well-being of the parents of sick babies exceeds all expectations, and is all the more remarkable given the pressures of their jobs.
    Our case is not unique as around 8,000 babies are admitted to neonatal units in Scotland every year, each with their own story of suffering and survival. Funding is tight and money is needed to continue this critical yet desperately unrecognised service.
    With thanks"

He has done a sky-dive and relatives a sponsored walk and various other efforts to support this amazing charity and still get emotional every time I see my colleague as he's so very proud of his strong little boys and such a dramatic change from earleir this year when he just looked constantly tired and sick with worry how things would develop.

Mx

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    hadn't heard of that one but it sounds like a good one - ill second it
    This is also a very good cause. Mx

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've added a poll (with the suggested Scottish charities, which are not based in only one city) please vote now!

Lots of my friends are kayakers and hikers and therefore I'd suggest Glen Coe Mountain Rescue as they've helped me and several of my friends out of some very nasty scrapes x

Thread Information