Thread: MP3 recommendations

MP3 recommendations

I really need to get a new MP3 and have a little birthday money left over. What do you recommend I should I buy or have a look at?

My last was a Creative which was amazing but, wonder if there is a better one around now.

Dawn xx

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Re: MP3 recommendations

Next month (Nov) Which? are doing reviews of MPs players. Will prob come out late Oct

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Next month (Nov) Which? are doing reviews of MPs players. Will prob come out late Oct
    And you can get regular views on portable music devices in magazines like T3 and Stuff.

Personally I bought the 8Gb iPod Touch to replace an 2nd gen iPod Classic 80Gb. It wasn't a very scientific analysis, I simply liked the look of it. I love it to bits, it is permanently with me but the honest truth is that I wish I'd bought another Classic. I also like the new Nano, mostly because I'd use it's video capture ability since I have a work-issued mobile that has no camera. I might feel different if I moved my phone into the 21st Century................

I'm amazed that the uber-techies on the Forum haven't bombarded you with advice yet

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If you want to pay over the top, have something that is likley to last less than 2 years and be pretty infunctional, I would recommend an Ipod. You would also be following a crowd of trend setters and really cool people

If you want value for money, an MP3 player that can plug in to any computer without installing non-working software and will last more than a few years, then pick pretty much anything else.

try the Creative zen FX-i http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...gn=FeaturePage

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    If you want to pay over the top, have something that is likley to last less than 2 years and be pretty infunctional, I would recommend an Ipod. You would also be following a crowd of trend setters and really cool people

If you want value for money, an MP3 player that can plug in to any computer without installing non-working software and will last more than a few years, then pick pretty much anything else.

try the Creative zen FX-i http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...gn=FeaturePage
    Thanks for this link! just looked at another MP3 on this site but, without sounding a right dumbo what is "Wireless Lan"?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Thanks for this link! just looked at another MP3 on this site but, without sounding a right dumbo what is "Wireless Lan"?
    Wireless Local Area Network.

It means that you can connect it up to your wi-fi and stream songs / films from your PC or (if you have one) wireless hard drive straight to your player as long as you are within range. It also looks like you can go on messenger with it.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation to set the story straight, although I do like the advertised features of the Creative Zen XFI-2. Am I right though in assuming that if you buy your music through iTunes the protected AAC files won't play on this?

The most recent issue of Stuff magazine still puts iPod Touch ahead of the Zen XFI. As to reliability, we've got 5 iPods in the house and we've never had any problems (although I know that the early generations did have issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Wireless Local Area Network.

It means that you can connect it up to your wi-fi and stream songs / films from your PC or (if you have one) wireless hard drive straight to your player as long as you are within range. It also looks like you can go on messenger with it.
    I suspect though that the fact that a question was asked about Wireless LAN means that Missy D may not have a need for this 'advanced functionality'.

Missy D, I'd recommend a trip to somewhere like John Lewis where the staff will help you compare devices without the sales pressure you get in places like Currys etc. The advice may not be the most comprehensive but getting to look and touch the devices might help you make your mind up.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Nothing like a sweeping generalisation to set the story straight, although I do like the advertised features of the Creative Zen XFI-2. Am I right though in assuming that if you buy your music through iTunes the protected AAC files won't play on this?

The most recent issue of Stuff magazine still puts iPod Touch ahead of the Zen XFI. As to reliability, we've got 5 iPods in the house and we've never had any problems (although I know that the early generations did have issues).
    Between my two brothers, they have gone through 7 of them in 3 years (though they never learn!) and I know so many people who have had then die on them. Maybe you have been lucky. One of the main problems with the ipod is that the rechargable battery is sealed meaning when it runs out of the ability to charge (which all rechargable batteries do at some point) you have to send it back to apple for replacement at a cost and wait. You dont have to do this with a zen.

You can play aac files from iTunes on a Zen and also tunes from the cheaper download sites that offer more songs such as Napster.

You can't play songs downloaded from the better download sites on the iPod though. Apple has you by the nuts with that one.

The other thing with the zen is that it has TV out, a better screen for film watching, can be expanded via an SD card, doesn't need software installed on every machine you plug it in too and is alot cheaper.

The only thing I can see iPod has over this is that it is a fashion accessory. Then again I never brought Rebok Pumps or Nike Airs when I was at school

Between my two brothers, they have gone through 7 of them in 3 years (though they never learn!) and I know so many people who have had then die on them.
    Ihave had mine for 5 yrs now and touch wood its still ok
    One of the main problems with the ipod is that the rechargable battery is sealed meaning when it runs out of the ability to charge (which all rechargable batteries do at some point) you have to send it back to apple for replacement at a cost and wait.
    not quite ture you can buy a new battery and fit it yourself ( or get a techy friend to do it) as there are several articles on the web telling you how to go about it and where to buy the batteries from

The only thing I can see iPod has over this is that it is a fashion accessory. Then again I never brought Rebok Pumps or Nike Airs when I was at school
    i didnt want an ipod when i bought mine personally i wanted a car head unit that took a hard drive but at the time it was the only way i could take all my music (5000+ tracks) in the car with me without having to constantly change cds etc i find as its main use is in the car its extremely easy to use with a dedicated alpine head unit which displays all the ipod functionality
    and the ipod lives in the glove compartment

i wouldnt say i love it as an individual mp3 player it is ok though and does exactly what it says on the tin

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Am I right though in assuming that if you buy your music through iTunes the protected AAC files won't play on this?
    Yes, you are, but very few tracks available these days on iTunes are protected, and I believe that they plan to ditch the protected format altogether. Most are sold now as iTunes Plus, which is unprotected, and higher quality than the old iTunes protected tracks. I think most decent MP3 players will play them, and if yours can't, iTunes can easily convert them to MP3, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

You can't play songs downloaded from the better download sites on the iPod though. Apple has you by the nuts with that one.
    Myself, I've yet to use a download site which use a format my iPod & iPhone () can't cope with - which sites, and what formats do they use? If there's better download music stores than the ones I use, I want to know about them...

I was sceptical about Apple stuff but have a second generation 8GB Nano which while the sound quality isn’t great is ultra portable and has been reliable for the last 3 years. I also had a 20GB Archos hard drive player which has just given up the ghost and needs replacing as I can’t survive with the 8GB Nano alone. Isn’t it strange, years ago I’d walk round with a tape Walkman with a couple of SA90 tapes in my jacket and be happy, and now I think the ability to carry around 100 albums isn’t enough!

I was considering the new 160GB Ipod Classic which is just HUGE, I love music but wouldn’t make a dent in that. In the end I went for a flash player not to have the worry about damaging the moving parts of a hard drive player like the Classic, and I wanted to try something with more of a reputation for sound quality so I’ve just ordered the new Creative Zen X-Fi2 32GB which is being shipped tomorrow, hopefully with my Shure E3C headphones it should do the trick.

If you don’t mind not being able to make playlists on the go there are some great deals on Sony players which offer up to 40 hours battery life and have seem to receive good reviews for sound quality.

Would an iphone work as an MP3 if it becomes blocked through being lost?

Assuming you're vaguely interested in sound quality, I'd take a look at What HiFi's reviews (they're usually pretty reliable, but very much biased towards sound quality). Generally, they do rate the iPods very highly. All their MP3 players reviews are here.

The other huge piece of advice is upgrade the headphones. Whatever player you buy, you can improve the sound quality significantly with good earphones. If iPods have one serious flaw it's that they provide criminally bad headphones with their players. It depends on your budget, but there's plenty of options out there.

Here is what the Gadget show has to say
    I bought an ipod classic years ago, no problems with it at all

Thread Information