Thread: Web Hosting

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Web Hosting

Anyone got any recommendations for good reliable well priced web hosting companies?

I need a windows server with ASP and ideally free MYSQL .

I was using fasthosts but they have just changed over to II7 and right screwed it up (apparently for security reasons).

Re: Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Anyone got any recommendations for good reliable well priced web hosting companies?

I need a windows server with ASP and ideally free MYSQL .

I was using fasthosts but they have just changed over to II7 and right screwed it up (apparently for security reasons).

Yes, I have. My friend, Luke Bailey, company Digital Evolutions. I'm sure he could sort you out.

Email him at luke.bailey@digievo.co.uk. I'm positive he'll have ASP, and SQL Server .... don't know about MySQL tho, you'd have to talk to him.

Blog Entries

I use 123-reg for all of my sites and I recommend them to my clients too.
    You don't get much on their starter package, but go one package up and you can choose whether it's a Windows or Linux server and you get scripting and databases.
    I suspect there's many smaller outfits that'll do it cheaper, but you get quite a lot for your money with them.
    I've been with 123-reg for about 6 years and never had any issues that weren't sorted out immediately with one call to a UK helpdesk.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I have given fasthosts one last try as I don't want the agro of changing hosts etc as im on a tight deadline.

They have changed from a Windows server to Linux and all seems well (apart from they are using chilli Asp and some of my scripts need re-writing)

Seems the problem is that they did not set up IIS7 properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I have given fasthosts one last try as I don't want the agro of changing hosts etc as im on a tight deadline.

They have changed from a Windows server to Linux and all seems well (apart from they are using chilli Asp and some of my scripts need re-writing)

Seems the problem is that they did not set up IIS7 properly.
    Ok. No worries. If you do change your mind, here is my response back from Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Luke@ Digital Evolutions
    All web hosting is £49.99 per year - some restrictions but not that are likely to be an issue.

MySQL can't be done but MS SQL can without an issue. If they are using ASP MySQL is a choice probably out of freeness rather than functionality and generally just a change of connection string works fine!

I can vouch for tsohost.co.uk they are UK based, and the pro package costs 49.99 including free domain if you pay for the whole year in one go.

The service is excellent, and I had a few odd moments where they were very quick to get back to me for suport.

One time my computer got infected with a virus, and the virus used the ftp software to get into my websites and play it's own trojan on it, to spread the virus thought my website.

The guys at support were very good at identifying the problem and restoring backups for me.

Blog Entries

I need a Europe-based (not UK) host that has a "one-click" Drupal option for a client that is very picky (must be mainland Europe, must have the Euro as their base currency, must support "one-click" Drupal etc).
    Any ideas?

Thread Information