Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackberries!

Re: Blackberries!

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    I made some for an event I was doing last weekend - it's REALLY sweet but has got quite a nice taste when you get over that. I found the recipe on the cottage smallholder website (just google rosehip syrup recipes - it's one of the ones on the first page)
    Thanks - I've already been having a look at some recipes (it was following links for other recipes that I stumbled across them and actually gave me the idea to make rosehip syrup in the first place); it does look pretty simple to make.

I think it was Hugh-Fearnley that suggested you could have it on pancakes, waffles, ice cream etc., and I met someone that had had it in place of Maple syrup with their bacon for breakfast.
    It wasn't difficult to make - helpful to have a food processor and a fairly large pan.
    The large pan I've got sorted; a 9 litre capacity maslin pan that's done some sterling service already

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    I've got my eye on the wild rose hips to make rose hip syrup; has anyone tried making that one? How did it turn out?
    Made some last year, I can't recall the recipe, but it was one found online. It took a lot of time and effort but tasted fine. Next time I won't use the left over brown sugar from the cupboard, the colour left a lot to be desired!
    I've been told to wait until after the first frost before picking the hips, though I don't know why this makes a difference.

Does anyone else remember using the hips for itching powder as a kid?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Greg
    Yes, in between games of Kiss Chase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    I've been told to wait until after the first frost before picking the hips, though I don't know why this makes a difference.
    I've read that apparently the frost makes the hips softer and easier to handle, and that you can get the same effect by putting the rose hips in the freezer. Of course this could be complete rubbish; I haven't exactly tested out the theory myself.

Yes: my husband says I must have been a hooligan as a child

If you want to expand your foraging (and there's all sorts of wild food available all year round), have a look at this book.

I've read that apparently the frost makes the hips softer and easier to handle, and that you can get the same effect by putting the rose hips in the freezer. Of course this could be complete rubbish; I haven't exactly tested out the theory myself.
    Maybe the frost changes the balance of sugar/starch in the fruit? Wild guess, of course. They say the same about the flavour of Brussels sprouts improving after the frosts start, but I don't think I've ever noticed.

I've read that apparently the frost makes the hips softer and easier to handle, {Snip}
    Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Maybe the frost changes the balance of sugar/starch in the fruit? Wild guess,{Snip}
    In Germany when they make wine Icewine (it is spelt better am Deutsch) the grapes are allowed to continue to ripen after the point where you would normally pick the fruit. Once committed to a harvest for Icewine though the first frost to hit the fruit has to be -10 or less and the fruit should be picked frosty or the crop is lost. What the frost has to do with it I dunno but the fact that the fruit is over ripening is the point I think.

Icewines tend to the sweeter end of German wine and can only be from individual vinyards. But supposedly a sought after product. Personally i'm more of a Red wine or dryasabone White. The Nierstein still being a little sweet I tend towards Italy and France for White and all the red wine made in Germany goes to Asbach for Brandy.

Well lesson over, don't forget your reports need to be in on Thursday and there will be test on Friday! No noise in the corridors on your way out please.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    In Germany when they make wine Icewine (it is spelt better am Deutsch) the grapes are allowed to continue to ripen after the point where you would normally pick the fruit. Once committed to a harvest for Icewine though the first frost to hit the fruit has to be -10 or less and the fruit should be picked frosty or the crop is lost. What the frost has to do with it I dunno but the fact that the fruit is over ripening is the point I think.

Icewines tend to the sweeter end of German wine and can only be from individual vinyards. But supposedly a sought after product. Personally i'm more of a Red wine or dryasabone White. The Nierstein still being a little sweet I tend towards Italy and France for White and all the red wine made in Germany goes to Asbach for Brandy.
    Very informative, thank you, sir.

I find sweet or dessert wines very difficult to drink. I like the aroma and the first mouthful but I can only manage a few sips. It seems to be more dehydrating than red wine even (which I love). Anyone else find the same?

Sloes also are better after a frost (or spell in the freezer) when making sloe gin etc. I was always led to believe it was because the frost broke down the internal cell structure leading to more juice being released. Probably similar to rubbing lemons onto a hard surface before juicing them.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I'm sure I bought this a few years ago, and I'm equally sure I don't have it, it must have been a gift for someone. Have you got it? Do you recommend it?

Looks like I'm in for a busy day when the first frost comes, picking the grapes, finding a frau to tread them, heading out to find sloes, (and shop for gin), then the rosehips and sprouts, can they be used for anything alcoholic? Anyone made sprout wine?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I'm sure I bought this a few years ago, and I'm equally sure I don't have it, it must have been a gift for someone. Have you got it? Do you recommend it?
    Yes, I have a copy. I would recommend it too - it's small enough to fit in a pocket but useful as well.

There's some absolutely fantastic-looking mushrooms growing out of the bottom of my compost bin. I wonder if I dare eat them or not. Depends if the gills are white or pink/brown.

I might have chucked some mushroom spawn on there a year or two back. I thought it was dead.

I wouldn't eat any mushrooms unless you can positively identify them as edible.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Yes, I have a copy. I would recommend it too - it's small enough to fit in a pocket but useful as well.
    Yes, we've got that one - made wild garlic soup - very tasty.....not sure about the nettle tea though!

Elaine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Yes, we've got that one - made wild garlic soup - very tasty.....not sure about the nettle tea though!
    Mmmm, Wild Garlic is lovely in a salad. It used to grow under the hedges in the garden where I lived in Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    not sure about the nettle tea though!
    Try this instead. Much nicer. I haven't tried making it myself yet, but my nan used to make it and it was delicious. Only problem was that she used to use glass bottles, and one or two of them exploded!

Thread Information