Thread: Big Jugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ceroc DJ

Big Jugs

We have an event coming up where we have hired the kitchen so that we can serve free squash. Being a complete novice in the juicing game, I have a few questions I'm sure you can help me with.

1. How many jugs would we need say for every hundred people? So far we only have two mid sized containers between us. We need more but our local shops had nothing in stock. I did a search for big jugs on the internet and am slowly working my way through the suggestions but so far I have found nothing to satisfy our needs. Any suggestions?

2. Flavour? Typically I'm thinking orange but my own preference is blackcurrant. What's your flavour? Is there a big difference between the cheap and expensive?

3. Ice? I have looked into getting an ice maker but feel it could be false economics. If you happen to own one, do you use it regularly? The alternative is to buy bags from the supermarket but it's not as much fun. I like my toys.

4. Big jugs means big cups. Can anyone recommend a cheap place to get hold of disposable plastic pint tumblers?

5. At our last ball we went overboard on chocolate but feel this wasn't to everyone's taste. Do you prefer sweets or fruit?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: Big Jugs

Q.5 - For me fruit is a winner, it less messy than chocolate and more refreshing. Grapes are good, ideally chopped into small handy sized bunches. Chunks of melon or pineapple on sticks also good, perhaps with chunks of cheese. Maybe even a few Strawberries. Something savoury is also good. Chocolate tends to melt in the heat and therefore is possibly best avoided unless there is a fridge you can keep it in until the last minute. Small bite sized cake type things are a viable alternative for the fruit haters - something you can just pop into your mouth in one go such as mini flap-jacks and the like of the sort sold in tubs in supermarkets.

Good luck with the big jugs research - it's tough work but someone has to do it.

Soft Drinks - Choice is good. Lime, blackcurrent, orange.

Ice - if you make up jugs of squash in advance you can just add a few ice cubes to each jug. That will be enough to chill things down nicely but you won't need that many and so can just buy a bag from the supermarket. Ice cube making kit is pretty expensive.

Thought this thread was about something else!

At Tim Sant's Ceroc Putney Leaving night, they had a Punch Contraption.

It was electonic - which would appeal to you Marc.

Sort of a clear plastic contraption, 3 tiers high.

You pour in the juice and it swirls down like a heltaskelta and bubbles in the bottom circle.

People just dip small platic cups in the bottom.

You wouldn't need to buy any jugs.

Is Rachel aware you are on the look out for big jugs?

You can of course keep topping up the jugs and ice from the supermarket would be cheaper.

Not necc big cups, normal size cups as most people cannot drink a pint straight off.

Permanant marker pens, so you can put your name on the disposible cups, means you can re-use and not keep coming back for a new cup if you do not know which one was yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Forster View Post
    We have an event coming up where we have hired the kitchen so that we can serve free squash. Being a complete novice in the juicing game, I have a few questions I'm sure you can help me with.

1. How many jugs would we need say for every hundred people? So far we only have two mid sized containers between us. We need more but our local shops had nothing in stock. I did a search for big jugs on the internet and am slowly working my way through the suggestions but so far I have found nothing to satisfy our needs. Any suggestions?

2. Flavour? Typically I'm thinking orange but my own preference is blackcurrant. What's your flavour? Is there a big difference between the cheap and expensive?

3. Ice? I have looked into getting an ice maker but feel it could be false economics. If you happen to own one, do you use it regularly? The alternative is to buy bags from the supermarket but it's not as much fun. I like my toys.

4. Big jugs means big cups. Can anyone recommend a cheap place to get hold of disposable plastic pint tumblers?

5. At our last ball we went overboard on chocolate but feel this wasn't to everyone's taste. Do you prefer sweets or fruit?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Big jugs - Sainsbury's had some plastic blue ones a few weeks ago in their garden range for £1.99

Plastic cups, try Makro (maybe for jugs too). Pen on the outside is a good idea too, if the sort that dries on and doesn't wipe off on your hands.

Fruit is a good idea, though personally I like chocolate as well. Seedless grapes pre-frozen are easy and really refreshing.

Dipping plastic cups into drink sounds revolting - adding all those germs to the pool of drink if fingers go in too...yuk!

Iced water too is a good idea - not everyone likes squash.

Good luck Anything you and Rachel have done that I've ever been to has been excellent and had huge attention to detail (like in the ladies room) as well as fantastic music, so I'm sure it'll turn out well!

Go to a camping shop and buy the 5 litre water containers with a built in tap, a dozen or so of these should give enough scope for a variety of flavour squashes. The ability to top these up is also an advantage.

DTS XXX XX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Go to a camping shop and buy the 5 litre water containers with a built in tap, a dozen or so of these should give enough scope for a variety of flavour squashes. The ability to top these up is also an advantage.

DTS XXX XX
    Liking your idea DTS - not sure a dozen would be required. Not the green ones though - the clear ones.

Lemon squash would be my choice.
    Last edited by Dottie; 14th-September-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Colour preference.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

DTS XXX XX
    Good idea - but make sure they are well away from the dance floor and that provision is made to catch spillages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancer View Post
    Dipping plastic cups into drink sounds revolting - adding all those germs to the pool of drink if fingers go in too...yuk!
    Mmmm, true.

Fountain is the word I was looking for - not helterskelter.

Ceroc DJ

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm pleased to report I managed to get my hands on six large ones and a couple of juicy melons.

We took up DTS's idea of the huge water container for pure water and cut up lemons for a natural flavour. I didn't get the ice machine in the end and feeling compelled to spend, I splashed out and gave Rachel a pearl necklace instead. Lucky girl.

Tonight felt like a military operation with so many people helping out, Blind Dynamo and Fletch's Joe to name a few.

The pressure is on to come up with a fresh idea for the next ball but for now,

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Forster View Post
    I did a search for big jugs on the internet and am slowly working my way through the suggestions but so far I have found nothing to satisfy our needs.
    Comedy Genius.
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information