Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceroc a Modern Jive and a fusion of......

Re: Ceroc a Modern Jive and a fusion of......

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Yes, I don't agree with their definition, and think that it is probably quite unhelpful. It's far better to be more specific about the core dance, otherwise newcomers really will not know what to expect..... it starts to sound very vague (which it might be ... but that's not the point!!! lol]
    To me it sounds very complicated and if I was new and looking for an easy to learn dance I would stear clear of it. Whats wrong with 'bouncy jive'

I dont know why all the extra spin

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I would place "sleeze-bags" as a sub heading under the "social-retards" category.
    How does this work in terms of marketing

ceroc a fusion of misfits,sleeze-bags,social retards,gropers

Sounds like an Eastenders cast ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    To me it sounds very complicated and if I was new and looking for an easy to learn dance I would stear clear of it. Whats wrong with 'bouncy jive'
    I don't normally describe Modern Jive as per my earlier post (jack of all trades etc.)

When friends ask I normally say it's a fusion dance that incorporates elements of salsa, swing, rock and roll, merengue etc. I also emphasise the freedom to include anything that 'works' and the flexibility to adapt the dance to a wide range of music speeds and styles.

Sorry I'm still off the original topic but I've often reflected on what could be the exact nature of the complaint when people say there are too many 'social retards' on the dance scene. If it's asking a stranger for a dance, sharing 3 minutes of blissful connection with them before thanking them and walking them off the floor without ever knowing their name then I'm guilty as charged. For me the dancing *is* the social part and unless I dance with the same people regularly there doesn't tend to be much small-talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Life is like a box of chocolates Astro...
    or a bowl of cherries, or a beach...

...... yeah, there are some hard nuts at Ceroc

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    Sorry I'm still off the original topic but I've often reflected on what could be the exact nature of the complaint when people say there are too many 'social retards' on the dance scene. If it's asking a stranger for a dance, sharing 3 minutes of blissful connection with them before thanking them and walking them off the floor without ever knowing their name then I'm guilty as charged. For me the dancing *is* the social part and unless I dance with the same people regularly there doesn't tend to be much small-talk.
    [/SIZE]
    Reminds me of a Franco New Years Eve bash once, when he had all the food laid out 200+ happy dancers etc.

A women said to me isn’t it sad all these people have nothing better to do on New Years Eve.

I said yes I would prefer to pay £50 stand in a crowded smoky pub (it was in those days) watch people puke and fight and queue for 30 mins to get a drink.

Call me a social misfit anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Normal people????

Who are they then????

Go one, name and shame!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I can't think of any offhand, but surely there must be some?
    Here's a joke I came across -

Which way of being normal would you like to be, neurotically normal, psychotically normal or perversely normal?

I'm interested in the Hip Hop bit.

I can kinda' understand the cross over between modern jive and salsa and even tango (desite never having done either discipline) but what is the general concensus on moves with a hip hop origin?

There aren't any that spring to mind but am interested to know. I've been off the scene for a long time and am thinking that if there are new moves with ahip hop feel to them, it might make the 'form' more appealing to younger dancers?

J

Since ceroc came from cest rock, when brought to the UK by James Cronin. I dont think it has much to do with salsa other than it sounds cool to associate ceroc with salsa, so a marketing ploy me thinks. All dance forms take from other stiles, it lets them evolve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie View Post
    I'm interested in the Hip Hop bit.

I can kinda' understand the cross over between modern jive and salsa and even tango (desite never having done either discipline) but what is the general concensus on moves with a hip hop origin?

There aren't any that spring to mind but am interested to know. I've been off the scene for a long time and am thinking that if there are new moves with ahip hop feel to them, it might make the 'form' more appealing to younger dancers?
    I wouldn't take it too seriously, it's all just marketing bullsh1t really.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Since ceroc came from cest rock, when brought to the UK by James Cronin. I dont think it has much to do with salsa other than it sounds cool to associate ceroc with salsa, so a marketing ploy me thinks. All dance forms take from other stiles, it lets them evolve
    A good history of MJ on www.modernjive.com and more on jive styles on http://www.howtojive.com/

If you've done some of Lucky Skillen's classes he does this. At Lux this year, he spent a class on base-ing which I understand is part of Hip-Hop. Using other parts of the body to move the lady with small dynamic lifts. And how to incorporate into Ceroc/MJ

Would Paul's (Paul and Cat WCS) Nite Club 2 Step come in this arena as well?

Personally I class myself as a Modern Jiver. Social Retard? I don't think so as I have met more lovely people and been to more "events" since I started doing MJ than in years of visiting pubs etc. Ceroc has a problem. I believe that from a commercial point of view they are trying to appeal to all sectors of the dance community. To my mind, this is a mistake. By diluting the essence of what has become MJ with more salsa, Tango, Hip hop, WCS, ballroom or whatever they run the risk of alienating both the people that enjoy MJ as it is now and also the people that are more purist about their specific dance style. I may be wrong but I put it down to pure greed and desire to control the dance scene.

Quote Originally Posted by fandangle View Post
    ...By diluting the essence of what has become MJ ...
    What essence would that be?

As far as I've been able to see, no-one has been able to accurately define MJ in a way that captures what more than a small minority of dancers actually do. My own MJ is strongly influenced by my background in ballroom and Latin American. Of course, it's my own style, but it's definitely MJ, rather than ballroom. Most dancers - including the best around - you can see very strong influences from other dance styles in their dancing.

Perhaps there does need to be some definitive foundation that allows us to say, "this is MJ". But I'm suspicious this would be a reasonably short dead-end to go down. As far as I'm aware, all dance styles draw influences from other dance styles, to varying degrees. This is why the modern competitive ballroom dances look so different from how they looked 20 or 30 years ago. I believe the same is true of WCS and I know it's true of MJ.

In my view, the greatest strength of MJ is that it has always encouraged the incorporation of influences from other dance styles. If anything is essential to MJ, it's that.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    What essence would that be?
    That is a good question, geoff332 and not one that is easy to define, or, as you suggest, should be defined. However, to me, the beauty of MJ, whatever it's roots or its current influences is that it's easy to learn by anyone, whatever age, shape or persuasion. This can't necessarily be said of Tango, Salsa or WCS although some might argue the point. I can enjoy a MJ dance with anyone who has been dancing MJ for years or has just started. How many dance styles can you say that about?

Thread Information