Thread: Oldest cerocer in town

Oldest cerocer in town

Who is it? My Dad, at 73, still comes to the class every week and did the parties until a couple of years ago. I'm reliably informed by other ladies that he's a good dancer so its not as if he's a dopey old fart who hasn't a clue what's going on. (At home though, well that's a different story!) Does anyone know of anyone older who is still dancing regularly?

Re: Oldest cerocer in town

That's fantastic crystaltips You must be SO SO SO proud!

I wish my Dad danced!

I met a guy in Caerphilly - I WISH I could remember his age.. He was either 73 or 77!??

Barry (from this forum) might know him??

He dances 5-6 times a week, - he's hardly off the dance floor all night, he's survived THREE heart attacks and has a defibulator attached to his chest...

Truely phenomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by crystaltips View Post
    Does anyone know of anyone older who is still dancing regularly?
    *cough* Ceroc Cheshunt *cough*

In fact, your Dad would be a bit of a spring chicken at Cheshunt. The older folk there are generally lovely dancers, friendly and charming, not dithering old farts like some would imagine/believe. Bring him along, he'll love it.

Edit: Bit of a trek from Perth, I'll grant you.

To answer your question My Uncle Jim and his wife still go dancing 2 or 3 times a week and they're both 80!
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 11th-September-2009 at 02:58 PM.

There is a chap called Don who goes to Andy McGregor's classes in Brighton who is 84 or 85 at least, could be older - his daughter dances too and she is in her 60's - nice lead, and he does all the ballroom dances too.

Amazing chap, he appears to have more energy that most of the younger ones

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Re: Oldest Modern Jiver in town

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    There is a chap called Don who goes to Andy McGregor's classes in Brighton who is 84 or 85 at least, could be older - his daughter dances too and she is in her 60's - nice lead, and he does all the ballroom dances too.

Amazing chap, he appears to have more energy that most of the younger ones
    Don was 89 a few weeks ago! For his birthday we went shopping to Felix in Littlehampton. I brought him a new pair of dance shoes as his birthday present and he brought me lunch.

Don is an inspiration to us all. He has always kept himself active, both physically and mentally. He took up dancing when he was 80! As well as coming to us twice a week he goes to Spanish night classes, does ballroom at least twice a week, has an allotment and is always bringing in his crops of tomatoes, etc, he makes his own wine and has 2 sheepdogs to help him look after a flock of sheep on the downs. He's a fabulous guy who often helps us clear away at the end of the night. After the class last Thursday he'd helped us as usual: he came up to me 20 minutes after everyone else had left and said "it is it alright if I go now, sir?"

To give you an idea of what Don is like you need to visualise the love child of Norman Wisdom and Compo from "Last of the Summer Wine".
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 12th-September-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Oldest Modern Jiver in town

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

Don is an inspiration to us all.
    I love him already and I haven't even met him
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

My Dad is 79 and still dances.

He has been dancing since he was a young un.

He does not regularly attend classes, but does "cut a rug" at bowling, bridge and other club social do's.

Does someone who does not attend classes, but can dance well at social functions count?
    Do you have to still attend classes to be a Cerocer?

Aw this is just brilliant! I had no idea there were so many! And no, going to classes isn't a pre-requisite, I was just trying to get an idea of who else was out there. I am very proud of him and I know he's on lots of ladies' lists of guys they always go have a dance with.

I think one of the "secrets" is that when my Dad and the others of that generation were young, dancing was a normal social activity so they did all dance as a matter of course. Generations since have missed out on that, one of the reasons so many (men particularly, but also women) feel awkward when they try it as adults now. I also felt uncomfortable dancing, even as a teenager and never did like that dancing-round-the-handbag thing that everyone did. When I "found" Ceroc I just thought Wow, this is exactly what I've been looking for all my life, this is proper dancing! Its spoiled me too, cos I just cannot do the d-r-t-h stuff now.

I just cannot do the d-r-t-h stuff now.
    Sorry to show my ignorance Crystal but what's d-r-t-h?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Don was 89 a few weeks ago! For his birthday we went shopping to Felix in Littlehampton. I brought him a new pair of dance shoes as his birthday present and he brought me lunch.

To give you an idea of what Don is like you need to visualise the love child of Norman Wisdom and Compo from "Last of the Summer Wine".
    Andy - Is Don the guy that looks like George Burns? If he's the one I think, then I agree he's fantastic! He's so sweet and always so cheerful.

There's another local dancer you probably know who's had several hip replacements? I don't know his name but I'm sure he must be at least in his late 70's. Very cheeky grin!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Belle View Post
    Sorry to show my ignorance Crystal but what's d-r-t-h?
    I think this is what Crystal tips is meaning

never did like that dancing-round-the-handbag thing that everyone did.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    I think this is what Crystal tips is meaning
    Of course! Sorry - obviously not concentrating!

30 secs in - I did not think it polite to ask a lady her age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    30 secs in - I did not think it polite to ask a lady her age.

Clearly she was on her way to Woolworths to buy some clothes pegs or something and you interrupted her shopping trip! By the time she's finished dancing with you she forgot what she needed and went home. You do realise, that could have been the straw that broke the camels back, and ultimately the death of Wooley's!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Clearly she was on her way to Woolworths to buy some clothes pegs or something and you interrupted her shopping trip! By the time she's finished dancing with you she forgot what she needed and went home. You do realise, that could have been the straw that broke the camels back, and ultimately the death of Wooley's!
    That's not me dancing with her, I did that on class nights. I may have been busy at the time the video was taken showing her mum the half-moon (or not)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I met a guy in Caerphilly - I WISH I could remember his age.. He was either 73 or 77!??

Barry (from this forum) might know him??

He dances 5-6 times a week, - he's hardly off the dance floor all night, he's survived THREE heart attacks and has a defibulator attached to his chest...

Truely phenomenal!
    Yes, I know him. That would be Fred. He's like the Duracell Bunny - he never stops! You're right about the heart attacks though - he had one on the dance floor a couple of years back. One minute he was dancing (I even remember the song: Zoot Suit Riot), the next he was unconscious on the floor. Luckily for him, we had several doctors and other medical staff in attendance and they were able to keep him alive until the paramedics arrived.

When Fred came round in hospital, he jokingly complained that they'd ruined his favourite shirt! He's a real star and a top bloke.

Thread Information