Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Derren Brown "predicts" the lottery numbers.

Re: Darren Brown "predicts" the lottery numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    And how is that any more impressive than writing 6 numbers on the back of a cheque and then having a guy stamp on 20 different cups wwith the beliefe that one of them had a knife under it and the 6 numbers on the back of the cheque were the exact 6 numbers he left?

When I saw Derren live he had a box dangling from the rafters above the stage. Inside it contained his predictions for the entire show, right down the colour of clothes and type of shoes that the last girl who went up on stage to help reveal the contents of the box was wearing. When you consider that participants in most of his show were chosen by Frisbees thrown the audience, that to me was astounding.

As for David Blaine, he is just creepy and annoying.
    You are correct,it isn't any more impressive.I guess it's the way its presented,instead of being 'staged', seeing it done on the street just seems to give it that edge.The only thing that did spoil the David Blaine programme is the awful hysterical and OTT reaction of his 'victims'.
    As for the knife and the mouse,that in my book is not magic or illusion.It was a stunt that worked simply because he is an established entertainer and was trying to prove a point.Imagine going to an audition for a show and class your self as a magician with either of those stunts.I strongly suspect that the judges would think they had been conned.
    Simon Cowell would tear you to ribbons!!

[pedant mode] I don't have much to contribute to this discussion; I simply want to note that the name of the man in question is DERREN, not Darren. [/pedant mode]

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    The explanation he gave is indeed plausible
    I've yet to meet anyone, other than some people on this thread, that thought so. Faith is a powerful thing and certainly several of the 24 people involved thought there was something in it - I am wondering if their belief, so obvious on screen, helped others watching share the belief.

If he had left the show at that explanation then I think most of you would have gone away happy with that explanation, if still skeptical about it.
    Upon reading this line, all I can think of is "jesus on toast" and other stories - no, not a good explanation

And no, I don't think anyone believes he genuinely predicted the numbers. He said from the outset that it was a trick.
    So it's plausible and you think most people would be happy with the explanation - yet no one believes he predicated the numbers ? how can both of those statements be true ?

As for the cups thing, I to predicted that 13 would be the important one, but it is as he said, a hightened state of fear makes us more suggestible. Most people hold the belief that 13 is unlucky
    Gah. There is so much wrong with that, i don't know where to start. But suffice it to say, it's A TRICK! Personally I proposed to my girlfriend, now wife, on Friday the 13th and I consider it very lucky - so there .

I think the vast majority of people would stay away from the number 13 when the potential of pain is there and we are in a state of fear.
    I'm crying inside .

So for those of you that feel let down by the show, you either had far to high expectations of what he was going to reveal, or feel like you have been made fools of for believeing something that you saw on TV. And as we all know, everything we see on TV is real and never lies to us, oh no, of course not
    um...he's an illusionist/magician/whatever - people expected a "how did he do that" trick. We also expected an explanation on how he did it after he specifically promised one. So it was the expectation of him telling the truth that was our "high expectation".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Gah. There is so much wrong with that, i don't know where to start. But suffice it to say, it's A TRICK! Personally I proposed to my girlfriend, now wife, on Friday the 13th and I consider it very lucky - so there .
    Well yeah, but have you ever asked your wife what she thinks...?

Admit it, you'd have been disappointed if I'd passed up a straight-line like that!

Um...he's an illusionist/magician/whatever - people expected a "how did he do that" trick. We also expected an explanation on how he did it after he specifically promised one. So it was the expectation of him telling the truth that was our "high expectation".
    Well, I wasn't necessarily expecting the truth. I expected something vaguely plausible (and interesting) though.

Thread Information