Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politics? What politics?

4 9.30%
  • I don't wish to know ‘anything’ about behind the scenes business

4 9.30%
  • I’m ‘mildly’ interested but I will not let it affect where I decide to go

12 27.91%
  • I enjoy spectating, as long as I’m not dragged in and made to feel guilty about my personal choices

10 23.26%
  • Its important to know the facts and ‘sometimes’ it ‘will’ affect my choices

12 27.91%
  • It’s important to me, to know all the facts, before I’ll give/takeaway my support

8 18.60%
  • I will/have boycott/ed certain events, to show my support and loyalty to my chosen organiser/s

13 30.23%
  • Everybody has a moral duty to seek out ‘the truth’

1 2.33%
  • Organisers should keep their mouths shut!

7 16.28%
  • Organisers have the right to speak out and tell their side of the story.

10 23.26%
  • Organisers a 'duty' to lay their cards on the table and let the public be the judges.

2 4.65%
  • I want to be a judge!

5 11.63%
  • All the arguing makes me very sad, I wish we could all be one big happy family

11 25.58%
  • Fallouts & rows, keep the dance world evolving & organisers striving to keep the customers happy

10 23.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Choosing a venue – A moral decision?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Choosing a venue – A moral decision?

I am a customer.....

I've kept the poll anonymous
    Last edited by Lory; 10th-November-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Choosing a venue – A moral decision?

Depends what the reason for closing the venue is there are number of reasons

· The venue is not viable because there are not sufficient numbers coming through the
    · There are not sufficient numbers coming through the door because a rival company have squeezed them out of the market
    · The partnership has split up and neither partner can run the business on their own
    · The hall has become to expensive to hire and there are no suitable alternative venues in the area

I am sure there are many other reasons but I don’t have too much time to think at the moment.

I don’t really want to hear all about the individuals dirty dealings as normally there are 2 sides to most stories and if there has been anything illegal then let them settle it through the courts if financially viable

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I am a customer.....

I've kept the poll anonymous
    i dont need to be anonymous.

I go where i want to go regardless of who is running and whether A would hate me to go to B....my dance nites are few and far between these days due to moving out in the sticks and kids so even more so now than before.

I do like to hear the gossip though.. ...

so who hates who

Eh?

I don't really get what the poll has to do with the question?

And what, in this context, do you mean by a "moral" decision?
    If the venue was run to bring in money for illegal arms trading, is it wrong to attend?
    If the person running the night was a big game hunter and had personally shot some endangered animals, is it wrong to attend?
    If the majority of attendees are Satan worshippers who sacrifice goats every fourth wednesday, is it wrong to attend?
    If it is a good night of dancing with a good floor playing good music with good dancers to dance with, then why should it matter where it's held, by whom or for what cause?

The "loyalty" issue is a different kettle of eels;
    When you go to a venue, is it your regular venue? Do you have a place you normally sit? Is it "your" seat? Do you feel annoyed when someone else sits there? What ownership rights do you have to it? None. So why is it "your" venue?
    It's yours because you participate, you form part of the community and you invest yourself in it. A community is formed from people, but the venue offers an environment for the community to exist. The community can invest in the environment, and it can help the community flourish.
    Who do you hold loyalty to? I would say the community rather than the specific environment.

Ok ignore my previous post I’ve now reread the question after a prompt from another forumite and realised and realised it was choosing not closing

"I’m ‘mildly’ interested but I will not let it affect where I decide to go"

I might be mildly interested in some juicy gossip, - but I'll go wherever I like regardless. I couldn't give a flying monkey about what happens behind the scenes

Of course I would prefer everyone to get along in an ideal world, - but that's life.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Eh?

I don't really get what the poll has to do with the question?

And what, in this context, do you mean by a "moral" decision?
    I'm sorry, I should have given the question a little more context by quoting the posts that prompted this thread!...

From the JA - Next Chapter thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    it is unfair for either to expect their friends to take sides (or in this case the dancers too). Good friends will be supportive to both parties but not get too involved in the whys and wherefores of the split.

I wish good luck to both John and Wes with whatever they do in their 'single' lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    What a load of rubbish!

When a marriage splits up you don't just ignore the facts and 'support both friends equally' you make a moral and ethical decision on support based on the facts.

I'm sorry, but your response is just typical of someone wishing to absolve themselves of the situation so that they can continue to do whatever suits them best, irrespective of the effect on the other parties.

So typical... one of these days you lot will grow a back bone, but I'm guessing it won't be any day soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Could it be the same lack of backbone that fills Cerocport?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I go to dance events to hear good music, be with friends and dance with good dancers. I couldn't give a toss if the organiser is in a running battle with someone else or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Ok, so you have no ethical or moral code that you adhere to, that's fine.

When an organizer has been exposed as someone who will misrepresent the truth to gain support to earn money and when that organizer has been shown to deceive his business partners, my ethical code would tell me not to support his events... but I guess I'm in the minority.

Are dancers really that morally bankrupt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    if I believed everything I heard about some members of this forum and boycotted their events based on that, I wouldn't have a lot of places left to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i dont want to read it. Im not interested in who did what to who and what was his opinion and why it happened.

I just think its totally unacceptable to air dirty linen in public, to make dancers feel that they should pick sides and to interupt the dance world that we make for ourselves. A little bit of banter is one thing but blimey..... whatever next....
    so there you see, we have some very differing views on how people see the world of dance.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Having seen some very nasty business tecniques over the years, seeing people kicked out of venues they have had for years, yes it certainly matters, but it certainly isn't simple, since I can think of agreived individuals "who've had it comming" crying foul, so to me yes, but I like to try to know the facts as best as I can
    Nick

I will make choices based on the situation I perceive - but as we often see on this forum there are many flavours of the truth.

My own sense of ethics and fair play will dictate some of my behaviours but truthfully I dance to escape the crap of normal life so I'll be unlikely to continue dancing in any venue where normal life crap gets in the way of my escape!

I thought about this in the context of why I dance at independents locally and not at the Ceroc franchises. In the end I decided that the reason I don't go to local Ceroc is nothing to do with the strong arm tactics trying to put my local independent out of business in the early days but is based on the fact that I hate to dance to thumping music all night. So essentially quite a shallow motivation.

I guess I'm best described in dance terms as a shallow fantasist - as a punter dance needs to give me something that is increasingly hard to find in the hard world of competitive business. However, this hard world of competitive business is just where the venue organisers live.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I will make choices based on the situation I perceive - but as we often see on this forum there are many flavours of the truth.

My own sense of ethics and fair play will dictate some of my behaviours but truthfully I dance to escape the crap of normal life so I'll be unlikely to continue dancing in any venue where normal life crap gets in the way of my escape!

I thought about this in the context of why I dance at independents locally and not at the Ceroc franchises. In the end I decided that the reason I don't go to local Ceroc is nothing to do with the strong arm tactics trying to put my local independent out of business in the early days but is based on the fact that I hate to dance to thumping music all night. So essentially quite a shallow motivation.

I guess I'm best described in dance terms as a shallow fantasist - as a punter dance needs to give me something that is increasingly hard to find in the hard world of competitive business. However, this hard world of competitive business is just where the venue organisers live.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance
    Good post, except that the organisers live in the even harsher world of un-competitive business - there are organisers that do it for love, that will pump in funds earned from elsewhere to keep their venues running. It was a very sad, and very expensive lesson I learned from my venture into business. I figured that my competitors were all making a loss too, and that they would soon give up. Later on I discovered that many of them had only come into the business because I seemed to be doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I certainly choose my venues based on the music, but in my case its the other way round. I got a littel bored with the thumpy bumpy , latest hits form the 70s, played at some independents

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I certainly choose my venues based on the music, but in my case its the other way round. I got a littel bored with the thumpy bumpy , latest hits form the 70s, played at some independents
    I'm with you on this. My very limited experience of my local MJ independent freestyles hasn't been great, largely down to the music played, the long time it took for people to get dancing, and the numbers attending compared to what I can get at my local ceroc freestyles.

What I do use them for is the non-MJ workshops which ceroc just don't offer (although it would be nice for their non-MJ regular classes not to be on Sunday nights. They obviously assume that all the intermediate+/advanced dancers they're aiming to cater for, have no family life or work to go to on monday mornings.

Thread Information