Thread: Photoshop/Bridge - Help please

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Photoshop/Bridge - Help please

Can anyone help me understand this...

I'm in photoshop and went to browse in Bridge, when a warning sign come up.. something like..

Bridge cannot open to browse, and suggested I 'purge the cache, in preferences'

So, I went to do that but got another warning asking me if I was SURE I wanted to do this, as its irreversible

So, what should I do?
    What does 'purging' mean

As it is, I took another option which I found on there, that didn't sound so scary, which was to 'compact the cache'

this seems to have sorted the problem for now, but I'd really like to understand what these options really mean for future ref

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Photoshop/Bridge - Help please

purging does mean to "delete" as you no doubt suspected, but a cache in computer terms, is simply somewhere to store information to save the program some work. In other words clearing a cache means that the next time you do something it may be a little slower, but thats all.

Specifically to photoshop cache, is this : "The first time you use the File Browser to view a folder of files, you'll notice that it takes some time to gather information and build a thumbnail for each image. The next time you browse that folder, the images show up almost instantaneously. The trick? Photoshop saves the thumbnails in a cache—along with file information, ranking, and rotation setting. The cache is saved in a compressed and proprietary format on your local hard drive. "

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    purging does mean to "delete" as you no doubt suspected, but a cache in computer terms, is simply somewhere to store information to save the program some work.
    Ah ha, Brilliant!

Yes your right, I suspected it deleted something but wasn't sure if it was something I'd regret

Thanks DS... 'proper rep' on the way!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information