Thread: Travel reports on national radio: what's the point?

Travel reports on national radio: what's the point?

Every time I hear one I think: what's the national coverage of this station - how many listeners are listening to the same thing I am? And how many are actually on the roads mentioned? ...
    I understand local stations having travel reports: their proportion of listeners that would actually be on the roads mentioned is waaaay higher.

Besides, most radios now have a 'travel update' feature that automatically switches stations when it detects a travel bulletin.

Grrrr

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Travel reports on national radio: what's the point?

They can be useful on long journeys.

For instance if I'm going to London, I could choose the M1 or the M40, but I have to choose quite early in the journey. If there's a jam in Oxfordshire it won't be on any local radio that I can hear before I have to choose my route.
    Love dance, will travel

its at bit like being safly in a Maria and listening to channel 14

and am i the only person, who is secretly in love with Sally Traffic

I'm sad as I love the Radio 2 reports. I used to commute from Banbury to Rickmansworth, and listening to local radio was pointless for travel as I'd have had to change station 3 times to get a decent breakfast show with travel.

So the change to Radio 2 with nice simplistic reports was great - gives me the whole country from north to south (it's nice to hear what problems everywhere else is having if i'm having a great journey), meaning I get to hear alternative routes if there's a problem on the M40.

I do have the automatic kick in with local radio (v useful when I'm travelling up the M1 to customers), but often find that after they've played the jingle and had a bit of a witter, the travel report often gets cut off back to my original station. If I don't believe what's going on, or get in the car too early/late to hear the report in time, I just ring the traffic line on my mobile and get updates on my locality (often it's not v up to date though).

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Every time I hear one I think: what's the national coverage of this station - how many listeners are listening to the same thing I am? And how many are actually on the roads mentioned? ...
    I understand local stations having travel reports: their proportion of listeners that would actually be on the roads mentioned is waaaay higher.

Besides, most radios now have a 'travel update' feature that automatically switches stations when it detects a travel bulletin.

Grrrr
    Well Radio Scotland is a national station, and when I was commuting in Scotland it mentioned the road I was travelling on (M8) pretty much every single day! I actually didn't listen to Radio Scotland, it was the "traffic update" feature on the radio which switched to it. As there were lots of other people on the same road as me I dare say that it was quite a high proportion of the audience who were interested.

A simpler solution for me would be to have one single dedicated travel/traffic reports radio station - which just cycled every 10 minutes.

Radio Jam

Thread Information