Thread: Lessons - Should it always be beginner/Intermediate?

Lessons - Should it always be beginner/Intermediate?

Should Ceroc classes be beginner/Intermediate or should there be a greater diversity. Would you travel (and how far) if one night a month a venue run a

Intermediate/Advanced night - beginners that night in the side room with the taxi's.

or a Beginners/Intermediate (themed)

In my local area Henley runs Blues nights once a month, so its still beginners/Intermediate but the Intermediate is blues themed (really more of a beginners blues i think but focused on ceroc).

I'd quite fancy a beginners/Latin Int or a Beginners/WCS Int - amI explaining this right. I'm not saying you do a lindy hop lesson, just one with a lindy hop theme to the moves.

I also quite fancy a Int/Adv. I know the workshops etc. are at Camber etc. but really motivated at the moment and the next 4 ceroc events I either can't make or booked out

Phil

Re: Lessons - Should it always be beginner/Intermediate?

Fleet used to have Nigal and Nina advansed classes once a month and that did work, but that was replacing the intermediate class not the beginers, so it can be changed by having a reg advanced class, it depends on whose running the class and how much money they wish to invest

In Kidlington they trialled beginners, improvers & intermediate (2 moves each for the last 2), the thought being that this would enable beginners to move up gradually rather than panicking when they saw the one more complex move of the 3 intermediate moves.

It seemed to work for those moving up but not for everyone else, as it was too much for people to retain for 1 night, plus for the intermediates they found not enough of a challenge. So it was dropped.

At the Wantage venue they now have standard beg/inter, but once a month have beg/advanced. It was initially meant to be a freestyle venue with a fun class, but brand new beginners turned up and obviously couldn't cope with a fun class when they knew no basics. The standard classes work fine, but the advanced night has some problems as the intermediates aren't at a high enough level for the advanced class, but there's nothing else for them to do - they don't just turn up for the freestyle. Then the people who want a real challenge don't get it very often as they have to teach slower for the people who are in the class.

I'd like to retain the beg/intermediate, but I'd like at least once a month intermediate to concentrate on technique and styling - spinning, musicality etc. This could be themed to help the musicality idea, but would hopefully encourage more people to move their dancing on, and not be scared when they thought about technique.

I did the adv. Wantage one last Friday and met the delightfully lovely beth who stopped me mid dance in freestyle to repeat a move that she didn't know. This happened again on the next move, so I went back to simpler less bluesy moves (curse you dave and val ) and had a very nice dance.

It was good, but some people were definately outside their comfort zone in the class. I thought it was good, but didn't see anything incredibly advanced about it. Most of those who came stuck to fixed couples (boring people )

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    , but some people were definately outside their comfort zone in the class..... Most of those who came stuck to fixed couples (boring people )
    I think this high lights why advanced classes need to be separate from the normal "club nights"

using the tried and tested, Ceroc format of beginners and improvers, every one feels comfortable and can enjoy themselves

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I did the adv. Wantage one last Friday and met the delightfully lovely beth who stopped me mid dance in freestyle to repeat a move that she didn't know. This happened again on the next move, so I went back to simpler less bluesy moves (curse you dave and val ) and had a very nice dance.

It was good, but some people were definately outside their comfort zone in the class. I thought it was good, but didn't see anything incredibly advanced about it. Most of those who came stuck to fixed couples (boring people )
    I was one of those boring people (usually I'm in the rotation but get sick of people who've done 2 months of lessons and fancy giving it a go!). Oh and it's usually Roy doing the advanced class although there have been few guest teachers occasionally when Roy is on holiday etc.

Thread Information