View Poll Results: What style of dancer are you?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel Lindy influences me

5 13.89%
  • I have a kind of WCS vibe

21 58.33%
  • Chilled out smooth Blues running through me

25 69.44%
  • Latin, Tango, the beat colours my dance

14 38.89%
  • Plain Ceroc. I'm a purist you weirdo

6 16.67%
  • Another style you've forgotten Phil

8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What style of Ceroc dancer are you, what are your influences

What style of Ceroc dancer are you, what are your influences

Just a quick poll. What style of dancer are you?

Are you influenced by other styles or just plain vanilla ceroc.

Obviously there are some cross-overs but if you had to describe your style of Ceroc, what would it be. Note, throwing in one tango lunge a night does not make you a latin, throwing in 2-4 a dance might

Interested after attending Utopia on the weekend and chatting to Bill about styles and where he came from and is now heading to.

Phil
    Last edited by rtwwpad; 2nd-September-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Re: What style of Ceroc dancer are you, what are your influences

I think you will find that many dancers change their style to suit the music. People who have never done WCS or Tango may still throw in some moves inspired by those styles because a teacher has shown them how to do them.

I also find my style changes not just with the music, but as the night goes on, as my feet get more tired, the music gets smoother and I have less energy to move around as much.

Personally, my influences are Blues, Tango and WCS, but I've learnt and done moves that I have no idea where they might be from, mostly because Ceroc (well Modern Jive in general) borrows moves from so many dance styles, it's easy to get mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    I think you will find that many dancers change their style to suit the music.

And the lead - if I'm dancing with a guy who can Blues/WCS/Tango and the right track comes on, I'll dance those. If dancing with a guy who does MJ, I'll do MJ - (with maybe some Blues/WCS/Tango etc styling if appropriate).

Unless the lead is a beginner, then I usually keep it simple.

I think you will find that many dancers change their style to suit the music. People who have never done WCS or Tango may still throw in some moves inspired by those styles because a teacher has shown them how to do them.

I also find my style changes not just with the music, but as the night goes on, as my feet get more tired, the music gets smoother and I have less energy to move around as much.

Personally, my influences are Blues, Tango and WCS, but I've learnt and done moves that I have no idea where they might be from, mostly because Ceroc (well Modern Jive in general) borrows moves from so many dance styles, it's easy to get mixed up.
    Agreed!!! I see myself as street, blues and (slow) latin.

What other see me as, is a compleeeetely different question!!

I'm just rubbish, I've even pogo'd in the blues room, I don't have style and I only konw about 10 moves but I'm working on number 11. One day my time will come

My influences are not only the lead but how I see friends/others dancing, especially wiggles and footworky things. If I look at it and go ooh I like that then I'll try and give it a go if it works hurrah, if not I'll either save it for another dance where it may work or think of it as an amusing experiment.
    As for what kind of dancer I am I guess my preference is generally bluesy stuff, unless I'm fancying a high energy bouncy night, I love lots of up close stuff or lots of spiny spin spins.

Also how would you describe 'vanilla ceroc' tbh I don't really get the differences between LeRoc / Ceroc / independants aside from a few styling things maybe? We don't have Ceroc in the NW (aside from Nantwich/Manchester which is over an hour away from me) so I'm all a tad curious..

Although I can WCS a little and tango a little what influences me is the style on the DJ and the people who I'm dancing with, instance some ladies natually have WCS style to their movement. However there some styles I am hopeless at such as Lindy.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    ...Obviously there are some cross-overs but if you had to describe your style of Ceroc, what would it be. Note, throwing in one tango lunge a night does not make you a latin, throwing in 2-4 a dance might...
    As Koshka touched on, using the term 'style of Ceroc' is a bit problematic.

There is the question as to whether it means the style you dance modern jive or in what way you dance at a Ceroc corporate event (which might for example be unadulterated WCS or Tango).

I dance my style*. I maintain it's MJ, but have been told by many folk that whatever I'm doing, it's not Ceroc!

I try and dance to incorporate the style of music in my dancing - if it's latin, I will try and be a bit straighter and 'flowey' - if it's blues, I will be closer and more interperative - if it's swing or fast, I will try and be a bit more bouncy and controlled.... etc.

{*"style" is a subjective term }

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Just a quick poll. What style of dancer are you?

Are you influenced by other styles or just plain vanilla ceroc.
    I am inspired by the music and as I spend 80% of my dancing time in the blues room my main influences are blues and Latin but as I occasionally let the man lead sometimes what style is out of my hands (and feet)

By the way sometimes plain vanilla can be fun

Well, I'd have to say that I'm primarily an Australian modern jive dancer, as thats what I'd been doing before coming over to the UK. Having said that, I've also incorporated a few moves from the Ceroc classes I've attended here, as well as some basic Blues-y dances if the music track allows me to do so.

In more recent times, my MJ dancing has become more slotted and WCS-like (e.g. redirection, whips, passes) due to having immersed myself in WCS classes and weekenders.

Well, my MJ dancing reflects my evolution through dancing.

I started with ballroom, which is the foundation of my dancing. In particular, I've taken the strong frame and the smooth, gliding movements from foxtrot into MJ. And the real emphasis on body leads, rather than using the arms. Everything I do in MJ, it's obvious that basis is there.

Shortly after that, I started doing Latin American. That has stayed in my dancing, including a few bits and pieces of footwork from Cha and Samba and some general style and figures from Rhumba and (a little surprisingly) Pasa Doble. Jive sneaks in as well, but I never really enjoyed Jive. Jive has a lot more in common with Lindy; Pasa is the one latin dance that doesn't involve hips and is more walking based. A few pieces of (ballroom) tango styling snuck in there too.

Then I started ceroc (with Mike Ellard, among others) in London. That's where I learnt all the basic/classic ceroc moves.

A few years later, I was back in NZ and started doing ceroc in Auckland. This was quite a difference experience from ceroc in the UK. The main thing I've kept out of that is confidence and technique for drops. And a bunch of specific moves. And that's where I started focusing on musicality.

Then back in the UK, where I bought in the WCS slotting and proper lead/follow conventions (it was sort of there, but this was taken to a new level). That was mostly via Simon and Nicole's take on MJ, which has a lot of WCS influence there. And the connection/interpretation from blues. Plus a far better sense of musicality and musical structure.

So the type of ceroc dancer I am is a very unique type. How I dance now is a sort of summary of the various dances I've learnt and how I've reacted to them. I suspect this is true for everyone.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

I'm just lazy

Commercial Operator

Why is the title Ceroc when the dance is modern Jive ?

I totally agree with Poi Boi and have to say I have a very smilar style which is adaptable dependant upon the lead and the music and how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    I understand what you are saying Simon about it being Modern Jive and technically that is the true dance but we are on a Ceroc Forum! I believe the person posting is quite new to the forum judging by the ratings, like me!

www.modernjive.com has an account of the history of Leroc, the dance, Ceroc, the organisation & trademark, and the origins of the term Modern Jive, popularised by the defunct Le Jive organisation.

Plain wcs

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    Plain wcs
    No it's not it's me. Your always nicking my moves .

Thread Information